PDA

View Full Version : My ends feel crunchy with my usual oil

rchorr
June 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I have been using jojoba oil and cocoanut oil (not necessarily at the same time) for YEARS! However, the last 6 mo. to a year, both oils make my ends feel even drier than they already are (and my hair and skin are VERY dry). I have had thyroid problems (1/2 of my thyroid gland is gone ... I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ... yes, my hair has thinned a LOT, too).

Is there some other kind of oil, cream, treatment (whatever) to get some softness back into the ends of my hair. Suggestions?

Thanks much!

RCHORR'

little_acorn
June 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Rchorr do you think you might have some build up at the ends? I don't know if you clarify periodically or not, I know if I don't my ends start to feel just like that. Once I've clarified and done a deep moisture treatment they feel lovely again.

:flower: sorry to hear about your thyroid condition to. Once they've stabilished your hormones your skin and hair should improve again.

ChloeDharma
June 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I second the clarifying idea. Also maybe more misting of the ends with a drop of glycerine in the mix? I also find aloe gel mixed with oil gives lovely softness....it even worked on my hair when it was fried from chemical colouring and snapping off.

Beatrice
June 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Jojoba never worked for me and always made my ends dry. Not crunchy per se, but waxy.

A lot of people like shea, especially the eastern kind, which is supposedly lighter. I'm loving coconut right now, but I wash with sulfates every other day. I don't really get buildup. Aloe works for me, but only when the atmosphere is just right. A page on naturallycurly.com suggested using humectants only when the dew point is between 35 and 60. So far, my limited experience backs that up.