PDA

View Full Version : Hemline delimma...

TheCatSaidQuack
June 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM
After cutting off over a 11 inches of damaged hair in January (and to add insult to injury, it was the WORST haircut ever), I've been growing it out the proper and healthy way. However, now that 6 months have gone by, I'm starting to realize that because of the horrible haircut, by ends looks awful.
What would you do? Keep growing it with microtrims, or take the plunge and even it all up - even if it means sacrificing all my hard work? I wear my hair natural (2c) most the time, so the only time you really see it is on my length shots. But still...

Honest opinions, all. Ignore it for awhile longer, or take the plunge now.

6 months ago...
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/thecatsaidquack/user26780_pic73885_1275874119.jpg

And now.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/thecatsaidquack/user26780_pic74022_1275960389.jpg

Naamah
June 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
If you would only see it in your length shots I would leave it alone. It doesn't look bad to me. If it really bothers you, do a small trim and see if it looks any better to you.

loralie
June 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Don't cut it! I honestly don't think it looks that bad at all. If you must, trim out a half an inch at a time, over a span of a few months, that way you don't lose any length. Your hair has come a long way, it looks great! :D

McFearless
June 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'd wait a whole before trimming. It doesnt look bad at all.

Yozhik
June 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Your hair looks good! Look at all of that length you've gained, and how overall your hemline has evened up! I'd definitely try to stick it out a while longer, and maybe do microtrims only when you really can't stand the ends anymore :flower:

Flossy
June 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Yep, I'd leave it for now.

Stormphoenix
June 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I realize this may be unpopular...but if it bothers you that much, cut it back up to where the black stripe is on your shirt and then you will be happy with the ends...make sure the person cutting your hair has incredibly sharp scissors so the ends will be clean!!

missjessiecakes
June 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Have you thought about changing your hemline. It looks pretty darn close to a V shape to me and I don't think you'd lose much length in the process. :flower:

But I could be wrong. I dont know how hair dressers work their magic

Cupofmilk
June 12th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Personally I would leave alone. I am in the same boatr right now - I cut off 15-18 inches in December - I only needed to loose 6 so I am doubly cross with myself. I have decided not to trim and leave be for a year and see where I get to.

ETA - here's mine

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/rachelba99/IMG_2166-1.jpg

janeytilllie
June 12th, 2010, 02:42 AM
IMO Your hemline looks great :) But however if you feel unhappy with you hemline. I would recommend microtrims rather that a big cut. Hope this helps :flower:

luckyduck
June 12th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I have found that my blunt hemline makes it difficult to do some of the updos here because it ends all at once, instead of feathering out gradually.
Your hemline is much improved in the second picture, you could do a micro trim of just a 1/4 inch and see if that makes you feel better about it.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I was expecting to see a bad hemline, but when I scrolled down, I was happy to see that it looks very good. :) I would just do some regular tiny trims (like 1/2 inch every 3 or 4 months). That way you will still keep growing, and you will gradually have the hemline that you want.

I think your hair looks great, and you've made wonderful progress! :blossom:

IcarusBride
June 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I think it looks GOOD the way it is now. It looks like you intentionally layered it that way, and it doesn't look like a 'hack job' at all. I vote for continue with microtrims and grow grow grow! Especially if you usually wear it up, no one can see the un-evenness.

countryhopper
June 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Yes, I also expected to see a super uneven hemline, but your's is fine! Do you mean that you are trying to grow out the layers?

If you want to do a self-trim, I highly recommend Feye's self trim method. I did it on myself just last week (?) and it turned out even and I only took off the very tips that needed trimmed.It's very easy to do. But I don't think your hair needs it, from what little I can tell from the pictures.

You DO have amazing growth, though! How many inches did it grow in that time?

ravensinger13
June 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I think your hair is beautiful the way it is, but if it bothers you, do a small trim and see how it feels.

TheCatSaidQuack
June 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM
thanks for the help, everyone. it looks as though I'll be leaving it be, and thanking the stars that I don't have to worry about having stick straight hair to the point where it would be noticeable.
And yes, I'm trying to grow out the layers - at least the ones in the back. They make updos/braids an absolute pain!

dropinthebucket
June 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Your hair grew *that much* in six months!!!???? wow. :) us slow growers can only look on in envy, hemline or not. (which looks good to me, btw).

Iron0Maiden
June 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Okay honestly, I know you think it looks sooo bad, but it really does not. Thats exactly how I feel sometimes, because I have layers in my hair that I do not like. But then I realized its just no as bad as I think. It's because you see it all day so you are critical of it. What I do, is just get 1/2 an inch off every 3 months, but get just a dusting on the layert part. It will even out soon.

Autumnberry
June 12th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Your hemline really looks just fine to me. To be honest, I'm envious of that much growth in six months and such a full hemline. I wouldn't do much to it.

fair isle
June 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
With growth that fast I really wouldn't worry about it. I think your hemline looks perfectly fine. If it bothers you trim a 1/4 every now and then, but If I were you I would leave to grow, grow, grow!

Loreley
June 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I think your hair looks good. I wouldn't cut it. :)

angelperception
June 13th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Glad you decided not to trim- looks good to me!