PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth oils.....

shawneez
June 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
When you all use hair growth oils on your scalp are you able to apply it so your hair doesn't look greasy or do you apply it and "plan" to not go out until you later wash your hair.

Is there a special technique to apply it so you can still go out in public without looking oily?

OhMyCurlz
June 11th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I find using butters is a better technique to avoid the oily look. You have more control and don't overuse oil.
When you all use hair growth oils on your scalp are you able to apply it so your hair doesn't look greasy or do you apply it and "plan" to not go out until you later wash your hair.

Is there a special technique to apply it so you can still go out in public without looking oily?

grmn-rpnzl
June 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I would like to know what kind of oils, butter, creme etc. do people use AND then an explanation of how they use it

serious
June 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I haven't been able to find a way to apply oil on my scalp without making it look oily so far, so I use oil for scalp massage on washing days only.

I use my herbal infused oil on the scalp and a cocoa butter/conditioner mix on my ends, leave it for 1+ hour and wash out.

Jezzie
June 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I use coconut oil (solid this time of year because it's cold) on the ends and whole length when in need of a serious treatment.

Ends: pea size amount rubbed between finger tips until oily, rub gently through the ends before braiding and going to bed, soaks in overnight, no need to wash

Whole Head: many many pea size amounts repeatedly rubbed through the whole length (not scalp), usually braid and sleep on it and then wash out the next morning before facing the world

In2wishin
June 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I use an herb infused sunflower oil 2-3 times a week at night just on the ends, braid, and go to bed. I'm not sure about the exact amount since it is a light liquid but I think it is similar to the "Pea sized" amount of coconut oil others have mentioned.

Once a week I use the same oil more heavily on all the hair. Then I apply about a tablespoon of Jamaican Black Castor Oil just to the scalp and let sit approx 1-2 hours, then wash.

CrisDee
June 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have been using a mixture of Mega-Tek and MN as a hair growth promotor. Before bed at night, about twice a week, I dip my fingertips in the MT, then put a small pea size blob of MN on my fingertips; rub the fingertips of both hands together, turn my head upside down and rub the mixture into my scalp. I do a section at a time, top, mid-rage and bottom/back. I CO it out the next morning.

ChloeDharma
June 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Usually the easiest way to do it is to apply it to the scalp at night then wash the next morning. I do sometimes just load my hair with oil, slick it back into a neat bun then go out like that but if i've used castor oil that's not really an option for me as it just looks nasty.

CurlyKitten
June 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I got an applicator bottle from the beauty supply store with a somewhat pointy tip that allows me to apply the oil directly to my scalp. I don't really do this lately as I never noticed any increased growth, but it did make it much easier to apply.

I would have to wash it out or else I would have an oily looking scalp. I think the best way is to apply it when you apply a pre-wash oiling (before bed, wash in AM, or an hour or so before washing).

mira-chan
June 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM

I apply oil directly to the scalp and leave it in. I use a dropper bottle and use one or two drops at a time, spread on my finger tips and then go under the hair to the scalp and massage.

The oil I use for that is Indian store Sesame oil carrier with essential oils.

Note: My hair is coarse and thick at the scalp, dark and very dry. Thus it hides and absorbs oil better than most.

Lunami
June 14th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I've been thinking about oiling my hair as a deep treatment. I can sometimes use a tiny (smaller than pea) oil amount to use as leave in and the hair will "eat" it but with any more than that it just stays like a coating. Should i soak the hair with oil DT? Usually it feels like it won't do a difference to my hair since it has very little ability to take in oil.

little_cherry
June 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi. :)
I use growmania (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=177) and have been getting some good results using a little squirt bottle to apply directly to the scalp- the kind you use to oil sewing machines- and just massage it into my scalp gently. No oily look. :)

ktani
June 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I just posted this elsewhere, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939.

I see this as progress, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100415085317.htm

The full article, http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1000904