PDA

View Full Version : Maybe dumb question, my hair barely moves?

JenniferNoel
June 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Unless I really swing it violently. I have just-below-BSL hair and it doesn't move the way it should. I have several friends who have identical hair type and length to mine, and when they walk it blows in the wind and swings and all of that glory, and mine doesn't move almost at all when it's down. It all just "follows suit".
I noticed this back when my hair was around waist, too. It didn't start to swing around or blow and flow in the wind until hip. My hair has medium strands, and several long layers. I don't think it's damage, when touched, my hair feels fine and swingy. No matter what I wear, my hair, when down, is board stiff. I tried coney conditioners, oils, whatever, and my hair always sits the same way.

Who else here has weird stiff hair like this?
I've been curious for nearly forever about this. I never thought to talk about it until someone commented on it the other day at lunch, politely of course.

Anywhere
June 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
My hair barely moves either, I think it's because my hair is wavy/curly and clumps together, so the individual strands can't all swoosh around freely since they're trapped in the curls. My friend has straight short hair and it doesn't move much either, but I think its because her hair is so coarse and thick.

BunnyBee
June 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'd think that would be a good thing! Less opportunity for it to tangle :)

Beatrice
June 11th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I know what you mean. Sis and I have rather stiff hair. Even when it's conditioned and soft, it doesn't separate into flowing locks. Oil just makes it limp and stringy, still too heavy to move. I used to think it must be damaged or naturally porous, but since it never breaks or splits, that doesn't seem likely. Maybe we have a lot of cuticle layers or a thicker cortex. I also think wave has something to do with it. Parts of a wavy cuticle are permanently lifted and grabby. The stiffness subsides a little the day after I wash.

It used to bother me, but since I'm always complimented on my hair's thickness, I don't mind it as much. It also kept me from straightening, because straight hair that's stiff looks more unusual than stiff wavy or curly hair.

Lassie
June 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
My hair is exactly the same and its one of my 'hates'
my hair strands are average thickness and the over thickness is small-medium..

i wish my hair flowed and bounced like it does in the adverts and movies....rather then being stiff like mine :( its a flaw that has no benefits

joiekimochi
June 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I, on the other hand, wish for hair that doesn't move! My hair is way too feathery light, it flutters all over the place with the slightest breeze and becomes a mess.

JenniferNoel
June 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
The stiffness subsides a little the day after I wash.

Weird, mine never really subsides at all. Even when it's wet, it's stiff and doesn't move. And don't get me started on hats. If it's smashed under a hat... think van de graaff. :doh:

talecon
June 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I would love for my hair not to move. my hair is so fine and curly that when the slightest wind picks up my hair floats all over the place, while I see other girls walking around and they don't have that problem, their hair stays in place

McFearless
June 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have an Asian friend who says the same thing about her hair. She says its common on those with thick strands.

My hair moves a lot..a bit too much actually. It gets tangled:(

halo_tightens
June 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Meeeeeeee! I was just thinking about this a day or two ago, actually. I had my hair in a low ponytail, and I really noticed how I could lift it near the elastic and point the ends wherever I wanted. It bothered me-- shouldn't the ends droop more??

My hair is pretty coarse, so I just attributed it to that. It still seems a little more "stiff" than it should be, though. I wish it had more flow.

Masara
June 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I was watching some women play badminton the other day and several of them had APL to BSL hair which was either loose or just in a ponytail. And it just stayed where it was!! they moved their heads, their hair moved with it as one block. My hair would have been flying all over the place, getting in my face and tangling.
My hair may react to every imaginary movement of wind, but it still won't swing. Each strand does its own thing, there's no unity to the movement.

atlantaz3
June 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm at the other end of this spectrum, fine hair that with the slightest breeze is all over the place. I've never seen hair that doesn't move. Must be nice when styled that it stays put.

pdy2kn6
June 12th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I found this too. I thought it was mainly because I put so much oil and didn't wash the conditioner out too much on it. I have always wanted swingy type hair that moves every time you turn but I can only get that when it hasn't got any oil on it and after being in a braid for a long time, so I have to settle for more protected, firmer hair (With oil in it)

ericthegreat
June 12th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I think only people with finer hair types have hair that can move. Which would make sense, finer hair weighs less so it would be much easier for it to be lifted out by a wind current.

If it makes you feel any better Jennifer, my hair doesn't actually move too much either. Despite the fact that I have pin straight hair and you would expect my type of hair to swing freely in the wind, it actually stays put because my hair is also very thick.