PDA

View Full Version : Lightening blonde hair without turning it red

Charlotte:)
June 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Does anybody have any meathods of lightening blonde hair so it doesn't turn red? I recently tried honey lightening, and it added some red tones to my hair. When it lightens naturally in the sun it can go from a dark blonde (almost brown) to more of a white blonde, but I am not able to spend as much time outside these days.

lemonmelon
June 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM
You could try lemon juice? It's fairly drying though.

I think any other other methods of lightening hair will be damaging (bleach, lemon juice, sun-in etc)

lapushka
June 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
You can go a shade to a few shades lighter with boxed dye without having to actually use strong bleach, so without it being too damaging. There is some bleaching involved with boxed dyes as well. Just don't pick a color that's too far from your natural color and you'll be fine.

Gypsygirl
June 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Chamomile tea, lemon juice... oh, and vodka!

intothemist1999
September 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
What does a lemon rinse do to grey hair when warmed up?

For sake of argument we can perhaps assume a head of all-grey hair?

ETA: or white hair.

TinaDenali
September 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Vodka, eh?

intothemist1999
September 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Topically, or as a drink?! :rollin:

Just kidding! :)

ktani
September 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Does anybody have any meathods of lightening blonde hair so it doesn't turn red? I recently tried honey lightening, and it added some red tones to my hair. When it lightens naturally in the sun it can go from a dark blonde (almost brown) to more of a white blonde, but I am not able to spend as much time outside these days.

There is nothing in the new dilution honey lightening recipes that have been reported to add red tones or any other tone to a hair colour. What recipe did you use? Did you use anything right after the treatment like apple cider vinegar? It has been reported to add red to blonde hair. So can cassia under the right pH conditions.

MandyBeth
September 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
What does a lemon rinse do to grey hair when warmed up?

For sake of argument we can perhaps assume a head of all-grey hair?

For changing color, got me. I don't have gray hair, I have white hairs.

For the ashy tones, I'm not sure as between the honey lightening and the daily dilute lemon rinses and the catnip soak - my hair is less hot now. That's going from a warm darkish henna red, it's knocked back the shading more into the cooler reds. It should be pulling hotter with more blonde, but not seeing it.

lapushka
September 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Maybe your hair is darker than you think? Honey is not as strong as bleach or as sun-in, so it might take more for your hair to turn blond (maybe several applications).

intothemist1999
September 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM
For changing color, got me. I don't have gray hair, I have white hairs.

Ah, ok,I should have asked about both! :)

JCFantasy23
September 9th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I've never found it possible with my hair. There could be some things I've just never tried, but I think it's just my hair. Typically people who do this are warm rather than cool, and I read in a book just yesterday that brunettes like this who try to lighten their hair are surprised at how much red comes out at first. Brings out tones we can't see. I was a bottled blonde for about five years as a teen, and then again as an adult.

I know as a teenager going to Sam's salon twice resulted in too much of a strawberry blonde for me. I was only happy at this one expensive salon in the mall, where the man made my hair look incredible.

Before the salons and at home dyeing as a teen I used tons of sun-in and lemon juice, I would see occasional reddish highlights but it never seemed to start lightening my hair to blonde at all.

Out of the 10 years of dyeing, added together and not straight through of course ;), I only had it dyed three times. The other times I used L'Oreal preference or ultimate blondes at home. As an adult when I went from brunette to blonde again I never went to the salon. It is the only dye that ever colored my hair. The Revlon brands, the natural brands, etc, I must have tried all of them - they did nothing, argh. I still stand by L'Oreal. Basically it was would be reddish and brassy the first dye, then the next month it would lighten. I would be strawberry blonde at first, and then it would start softening out and losing the brass after about four months or so.

These are just my experiences though, depends on your hair.

ktani
September 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I've never found it possible with my hair. There could be some things I've just never tried, but I think it's just my hair. Typically people who do this are warm rather than cool, and I read in a book just yesterday that brunettes like this who try to lighten their hair are surprised at how much red comes out at first. Brings out tones we can't see. I was a bottled blonde for about five years as a teen, and then again as an adult.

I know as a teenager going to Sam's salon twice resulted in too much of a strawberry blonde for me. I was only happy at this one expensive salon in the mall, where the man made my hair look incredible.

Before the salons and at home dyeing as a teen I used tons of sun-in and lemon juice, I would see occasional reddish highlights but it never seemed to start lightening my hair to blonde at all.

Out of the 10 years of dyeing, added together and not straight through of course ;), I only had it dyed three times. The other times I used L'Oreal preference or ultimate blondes at home. As an adult when I went from brunette to blonde again I never went to the salon. It is the only dye that ever colored my hair. The Revlon brands, the natural brands, etc, I must have tried all of them - they did nothing, argh. I still stand by L'Oreal. Basically it was would be reddish and brassy the first dye, then the next month it would lighten. I would be strawberry blonde at first, and then it would start softening out and losing the brass after about four months or so.

These are just my experiences though, depends on your hair.

Hair does lighten according to the tones in the natural colour. There are other factors (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=291820&postcount=2342) at work though.

Charlotte:)
September 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
There is nothing in the new dilution honey lightening recipes that have been reported to add red tones or any other tone to a hair colour. What recipe did you use? Did you use anything right after the treatment like apple cider vinegar? It has been reported to add red to blonde hair. So can cassia under the right pH conditions.

Haha, yeah I realized it was the acv that was making my hair red. I switched to white vinegar, and my hair lightened right up :)

ktani
September 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Haha, yeah I realized it was the acv that was making my hair red. I switched to white vinegar, and my hair lightened right up :)

Many people do not realize acv can do that. Its added colour does not show up on darker colours necessarily. It will though on blondes and other light shades of hair colour.

ETA: I added acv to the list here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=294952&postcount=2353

salls
September 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I would suggest, if you can get hold of it, that you try Marilyn hair treatment from Lush. It has lots of things in it that should lighten your hair (and was designed with blondes in mind) it has Lemon juice and oil, Camomile infusion and oil and Safron infusion, as well as being an intense conditioner. I've been using it to strip some of the dye out of my hair so I can get it back to my natural colour in order to grow it out and it's worked really well, not the cheapest thing at £7.60 a pot but you need less than the 1/3-1/2 a pot they recomend.

Konstifik
September 13th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I don't know if this product exist were you live, but Eorol has a low-dose peroxide spray (2-7% depending on the strength you choose), which I find to do very little damage. Barely any (a bit drying).

Tornerose
September 13th, 2010, 04:12 AM
As rinses? Or in a special recipe?