PDA

View Full Version : growing pains...

sputnik
May 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I have been trying to grow my hair out from this cut since mid November '07 (a)

and it seems like it is growing unusually slow for me. (it doesn't help that the cut wasn't really what I had wanted or asked for in the 1st place).
this is it now (b).
a)http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2012/2035924737_0222a0c721_m.jpg b) http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2091/2485700444_4eedd5aa24_m.jpg

part of the problem is the overabundance of layers, so I have been giving myself small trims in the longest layer until the second longest has matched it (looked way to scaggly otherwise). But still I grew out a pixie to just past APL in less than a year previously so I feel I have very little growth to show for 5 months. Anyone have any idea why my growth might have slowed down so much??

Also I don't like my hair... haven't for the whole time it has been growing out (& length alone is not the issue, I've been quite happy with shorter styles before). My bangs especially are a mess (which is why I just pin them back). Anyway not to sound whinny (though am sure I do!) but I am sick of feeling bleh or worse about my hair and hoping someone has some suggestion as to what I can do to with it. At this rate it feels like its going to be several years till its even APL and I just don't want to feel ugly for that long!

oh and here's a pic where my hair is longish (I won't say long with all you waist ++ lengthers about :) )
http://b5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00956/52/68/956728625_m.jpg

Starr
May 11th, 2008, 11:20 PM
It's like they say. . . a watched pot never boils.

maskedrose
May 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I seem to grow slower in the winter, so maybe that's part of the reason your growth has slowed down as well. Spring is finally here (thank God), so you will probably see some significant increase over the next few months. Also, if your growth is fairly average, I'd say you have made some significant progress in those five short months :)

sputnik
May 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM
masked rose~I agree with the welcoming spring! though I live in Seattle and we're having a on and off start of it, so it might be while till I can actually welcome it :). Hair does grow faster in the summer doesn't it...maybe there is hope yet! I am just used to having 1" or more a month growth so having about 1/2 that the last few months has been rather frustrating (even my boyfriend mentioned it).

looking at yours and starrs pics is giving me hair envy! I'm trying not to watch the pot really I am, I just wish it would get past this awkward stage.

tiny_teesha
May 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
firstly you look stunning in the long hair photo! At least you know how good you will look when it is long.
secondly if you want your hair to grow FASTER try the micanizole thread. Search for it. People recieve double their growth- there are some side effects sometimes, so read up on it first!
I think you are in the most awkward growing stage- but it will pass.

chrissy-b
May 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm at about the same length as you (check the pics on my page) and it sucks. I have a lot of layers and my hair is very thin. Also, I've had short hair (pixie mostly) for the past 10+ years (with only 1 year of BSL) and sometimes think I should just cut it all off and keep it short. But you hair does look lovely long and if you want it there again you've got to stick with it.

I've been doing MN (Monistat) treatments for a coupla months and it has increased my growth rate. I also do daily scalp massages and regular brushing with my BBB and those both help with scalp circulation. I also oil daily which keeps the ends healthy so I can keep all the growth I'm getting.

Right now, I wear my hair up every day and I'm planning on doing so until the end of the year (no trims either!), and even if I wanted to wear it down it looks so awful that I have to keep it up or I'll just cut it all off again. It's a crappy stage to be in, but if you can hold out on cutting (unless there is severe damage) and put it up so you can just forget about it, you hair will be long again before you know it.

Angellen
May 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It looks like you've had a good amount of growth in the last six months, and your hair has so much lovely bounce! :flower: I would try not to worry about it. I think it looks quite good right now. :)

Islandgrrl
May 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I think that maybe your growth isn't as noticeable as you'd like because of the little trims you've been having to get some of your layers evened out. I think your hair does look substantially different in the two pictures.

Remember, growing your hair out from a pixie is a long process that requires a ton of patience. Especially through the times when you think your hair isn't growing fast enough. I know, I'm doing it. And I don't think I've had that much progress since November, either, but I know I'm more likely wrong about that than not. My hair is thickier, in better shape, shinier and healthier than it was in November when I joined here. Progress can be measured in many ways other than actual length.

One thing is certain: hair grows.

tmmycat
May 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
personally I think the bangs look great on you! I think at your current length you would look great with an inverted bob, something like this that works with your natural wave - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8fRaB9ysBnc

that wouldn't require losing any length, just shaping it up a bit and I bet the time would go faster if you like the way your hair looks in the meantime!

sputnik
May 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
thanks everyone. I have been reading the monistat thread, maybe its time to hop on the bandwagon.

tmmycat I think that might be a good idea, now to track down a hairstylist who won't go crazy and hack off a bunch. (that's what happened the first time)

spidermom
May 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Growth will probably pick up as we move into the warmer months. I'd just keep growing with occasional tiny trims to neaten the bottom if I were you rather than get a "new style" which sometimes requires more cutting than you'd know from just looking at a picture.

psvzum
May 12th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Oh, I feel your pain and know how long it can take to grow out a short layered hairstyle. Like you, I kept getting little trims so the layers would catch up to one another. This is the reason you're not seeing as much growth as you may think you're getting. It's difficult to see your hair in the second picture but your hair is beautiful in the last one : )

Nynaeve
May 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM
thanks everyone. I have been reading the monistat thread, maybe its time to hop on the bandwagon.

tmmycat I think that might be a good idea, now to track down a hairstylist who won't go crazy and hack off a bunch. (that's what happened the first time)

Awww, I hate that. :(
Sorry it happened to you, here's to you finding a nice stylist!

lady G
May 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I know what you mean going through that inbetween stage is awful it makes you feel a mess, i just go and get some new smart clothes or try a new look new lipstick, eye make up etc to give you a lift, the thing is nobody else will even be thinking it looks a mess you know its just you!!! i get like that but keep looking at that pic of the goal length you have there it looks great so keep that mind and keep going! email me if you like when you get the urge to cut because i can guarantee i will be feeling the same as mine is in the inbetweeny growing out a bob phase grrrrrr:rolleyes:

xxxx

aisling
May 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
How many of those small trims have you been doing and how small have they actually been? It's so easy to trim away almost all or all of your growth by just doing "small" trims every second month to keep the ends looking and feeling neat. I should know, I've been there and done that and wondered why I never reached BSL :)

Emme76
May 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I know the feeling. I am about the same length as you are and it is a difficult and frustrating length. Just between chin and shoulders!!!!

I try to put my hair up as much as possible and keep it as healthy as I can. I also think my hair will grow alot faster once the warm weather really kicks in. It is all about patience :)!!!! And I have none...I also think my hair doesnīt look very nice at this stage.

Sometimes I wear it down, then I either flip my ends out and make it a sassy 60īs look :)..or I flip them in and make it a bit chic..:cool:!!!

I think we have to "forget" about our hair for a while, only try to mind it when we care for it :)!!! I tend to keep feeling it, checking the length...putting it up, letting it down, oiling the ends, put it up again, let it down, feeling it, brushing...look in the mirror and frown...lol....My patience is very very low...but I am determind to let it grow...

And I think your long hair looks beautiful, I can understand you want it back. But the hair you have now is still nice, and when you last expect it....it will grow faster...:).

/Emme

sputnik
May 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
again thanks for the encouragement. feeling a bit better about it today...its drizzling/misting which oddly my hair loves so goes all wavy almost curly. Wish it would do this everyday!

as for my trims...I have probably cut off a total of an inch, though it might have been more since I have given myself 3 about index thickness trims of just the very longest back layer.

yep I know I need to just be patient, glad to hear others are going through the same thing (though of course I wish everyone speedy growth and no bad hair!!). Here's hoping with summer approaching it will grow like a weed.

jel
May 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I think that maybe your growth isn't as noticeable as you'd like because of the little trims you've been having to get some of your layers evened out. I think your hair does look substantially different in the two pictures.

How many of those small trims have you been doing and how small have they actually been? It's so easy to trim away almost all or all of your growth by just doing "small" trims every second month to keep the ends looking and feeling neat. I should know, I've been there and done that and wondered why I never reached BSL :)

I agree with this - your hair looks like it's grown on the whole, but because you've been evening it up the hemline isn't much lower than in the first picture (but it still is - visibly!).

Just give it time and maybe forget about the scissors for a while - how about pinning your hair up over the hot summer months?