PDA

View Full Version : Queries from the Mid-Back Abyss

Nat242
March 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
My hair is lost in the mid-back abyss - between the milestones of Mid-Back Length (Bra Strap Length) and waist, I have plenty of time to mull over the hills and valleys yet to conquer.

For example - where is the "hip" milestone? Is it when hair reaches the top of the hip bone? Where is the "waist" milestone? Is it the narrowest part of the torso?

If so, my hair will hit hip about, oh, one inch after it hits waist. Are my body proportions really weird or something? ;)

Or, is "hip" reached somewhere else?

Can you tell from my signature pic that my "waist" milestone seems to be right about my "hip" milestone? Is this true for others, too?

Feel free to post any other Queries from the Mid-Back Abyss.

-- Natalie

Katze
March 11th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I can only answer your queries with another query:

is hair "at" a length when the longest part of it skims that length, or when the shorter parts of the hemline are there too?

I have always wondered about this. My hemline doesn't look like yours; it's more like a V, so how do I estimate a length? This makes measurement hard!

Dumb question, i know, but I'd like to know what the consensus here is...I never know how to measure my hair - to the tips of the very longest few hairs? To the shortest part of the hemline? Some kind of average?

thanks!

Kyamo
March 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Katze, I measure to the longest hairs, mainly because that's the most consistent. If I tried to guess each time where the "bulk" of my hair was, that guess would vary and make my measurements all over the place. Besides, I don't really have a length where most of my hair is, since I have the same V. I consider it "at" a length if the longest part of it is there, but I also realize that it doesn't truly look like its there until a bit later.

Katze
March 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks Kyamo.

But for color, we could be hair twins! I cannot for the life of me figure out the photo things here...it's all so complicated (and I had figured out the old ones, which took a lot of time)

Anje
March 11th, 2008, 06:06 AM
For example - where is the "hip" milestone? Is it when hair reaches the top of the hip bone?
Yes.

Where is the "waist" milestone? Is it the narrowest part of the torso?
Right again.

If so, my hair will hit hip about, oh, one inch after it hits waist. Are my body proportions really weird or something? ;)
Torso proportions are all over the map, and the fact that waist moves around if you gain weight doesn't help. For me, waist was something like 2 inches below BSL, and hip is something like 4 inches below that. I hoped I'd hit waist twice as I lost a bit of lovehandle bulge, but alas, my hair grew faster than I lost. Not all bad, at least.

Nightshade
March 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Another easy way (on most people) to gauge waist is that if your hands are at your sides, your elbows fall at your waist :)

rhubarbarin
March 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Nat242, my hipbones (in the back) are only an inch below my waist too. When I put my hands to my waist they are resting on my hips. You're not alone, we are just short-waisted!

LOL Nightshade, my elbows hit past my hipbones.

I am entering the mid-back abyss also. My longest hairs are at waist when wet, which is very exciting!! But curly my V is a few inches past my bra. I am going back and forth on when to start trimming.. I have a lot of damage I want to get rid of before growing really long, but I just can't bear to lose length. My ends are starting to look so ratty though that I think I will trim sooner rather than later..

n3m3sis42
March 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I have a really long torso, so like you said, my waist- and hip-length don't look like they will be too far apart. It's really rather frustrating, as I've been way past BSL for sooo long, and it keeps getting longer but still not being waist length.

Xanthippe
March 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
is hair "at" a length when the longest part of it skims that length, or when the shorter parts of the hemline are there too?

For me at least, I gauge it by how the bulk of my hair looks when it is dry and in its naturally wavy state. Even though my "runner" hairs reached hip a few months ago, I'm just now feeling like enough hair is consistently around my hip bones to call it hip length. I called skimming the hips "nearly hip length" or "can I call this hip length?" or "barely hip length." I hope someone saved that long list of such names from the old LHC.

The distance between hip and waist for me is about four inches I think.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I'm like 1 cm off waist!!!!! When wet in some instances it looks there already.
I am going to do a trim once i pass 1 cm past waist. Because i want my "v" hemn to be a "u" now. *rolls eyes* !

Yep i too have about 1-2 inches from waist to hip, if measure it but i don't know how much an inch is im metric :)

Faerie
March 20th, 2008, 06:24 AM
An inch is about 2.5 cm

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Thank you for voicing this because I've had trouble here, too. What I thought was my waist, I think is actually my hips. So, I've been at waist for a bit longer than I thought, my hands were just in the wrong position! And I have no clue where hip starts. That's why I've made my next goals 36" and Tailbone. I know where Tailbone is.

morningstar
March 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I am high waisted so I will be at waist soon (a couple of months) but hip much longer (next year) I like to measure but visually is what counts with me, so as the longest hairs might reach a goal I like to wait until it looks like most of the hairs are there too.