PDA

View Full Version : My grandmother's been brainwashed...

Alatariel
May 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I was visiting my grandmother today, and while I was sitting in a chair, examining the ends of my hair, she asked me if I liked my hair long.

I said yes, and told her I wanted to grow my hair down to my butt so I could have a really long braid.

"Are you going to cut it and donate it?" she asks. To which I shook my head and said no. Then I said that some places like that aren't reputable (Locks of Love).

She says: "You're not going to cut it and donate it to children with cancer? I've seen them do that on Oprah. You can grow it out again and then cut it and then grow it out again and cut it, and so on."
I just went on examining the differences in color between the hair on top of my head, and the darker hair underneath.

And that's all. Just felt like sharing. :rolleyes:

Cinnamon Hair
May 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
You can grow it out again and then cut it and then grow it out again and cut it, and so on."

So you're only allowed to have the long braid you desire for a few days (however long it takes to book a hair appointment) before you have to harvest the crop? This sounds like the human equivalent of a mouse running on a wheel.
Maybe granny should grow her own hair crop.

LifeisAdventure
May 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Yup, I heard the SAME thing just this weekend while I was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. I had my tailbone length hair up in a ponytail-braid and my friend's mother noted that she didn't know my hair was so long and asked "why don't you donate it to Locks of Love?" :rolleyes: I calmly explained that Locks of Love was not a reputable organization that gave free wigs to cancer-riddled children, but one that had rigorous standards for donated hair, sold MUCH of the hair that was donated, and did not in fact provide wigs for free OR to children with cancer, but rather people with a genetic disease that caused hair loss. I did explain that Pantene's donation program was much better, but I was simply not interested and grew my hair long for me. That shut her up.

Why do people insist on "suggesting" what we do with our long hair? Do I suggest you get a boob job for the benefit of your tiny chest? No.

Anywhoo, sorry you had to go through that Alatariel. You're not alone! :grouphug:

socks
May 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I get that all the time, too, but I'm not much of a talker and I'm too anxious to explain all that. I usually just say "too many splits" (even though my hair is perfectly healthy) and run off before they start wanting to touch/examine/braid/whatever my hair without asking me first. I really can't deal with people, especially when it comes to my hair.

Awalia
May 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM
That is so ridiccilous. I hate whole locks of love thing, wig makers can have much better quality hair for cheap from those in india who shave their heads for religious reasons and sell it! And many of the hair donated to LoL is just trashed because low quality.
It sounds so heartbraking when you talk about children with cancer, yeah, but there is alot better ways to get support for them.
It takes 6 average ponytails to make one wig, and i dont think it's worth of it. I's outrageous how some people demand others to donate their hair.
I donate my money to those who suffer in Africa, they would not care about loosing hair, loosing their lives is more likely. There are more important things than giving child a wig. You can give food to someone in hunger.

noelgirl
May 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
That is so ridiccilous. I hate whole locks of love thing, wig makers can have much better quality hair for cheap from those in india who shave their heads for religious reasons and sell it! And many of the hair donated to LoL is just trashed because low quality.
It sounds so heartbraking when you talk about children with cancer, yeah, but there is alot better ways to get support for them.
It takes 6 average ponytails to make one wig, and i dont think it's worth of it. I's outrageous how some people demand others to donate their hair.
I donate my money to those who suffer in Africa, they would not care about loosing hair, loosing their lives is more likely. There are more important things than giving child a wig. You can give food to someone in hunger.

Very well said. My opinion about one person telling another to donate their time/money/hair/whatever is that it sort of defeats the purpose of philanthropy. If there is a cause that a person cares about, then they will support it without somebody telling them that they should. And it is up to the individual to determine what causes feel true to them.

In this instance, it is rather curious that the cause suggested is so near and dear only upon the sight of long hair. Sounds to me like a new spin on the "you're too old"/"it's not professional" song and dance - in other words, just another way of imposing personal aesthetic preference on another.

Nevermore
May 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
One would think that if LoL was such a worthy cause and so incredibly important to the people who suggest it that they would be growing and cutting their own hair, instead of having it kept short all the time.

Honestly, if I wanted to use my hair to support a charity, I would cut it and sell it privately, then give the money to the charity I wanted to support.

Starr
May 11th, 2008, 11:43 PM
She says: "You're not going to cut it and donate it to children with cancer? I've seen them do that on Oprah.

[Stands on soapbox]:rant:
Uggh, why is Oprah the end all, be all for some people?:rolleyes:

Just because you saw it on Oprah or heard Oprah say it doesn't make it religion. Seriously, I'm so sick of grown women quoting her like it's scripture! :brickwall[End of soapbox]

Why do people feel like long hair is an excuse to pry into others business? It's not okay to ask someone how much money they contributed to tithes, just because they attend church. It's not okay to suggest to someone that they donate food to homeless shelter, because it looks like they eat well. So why is it okay to suggest to someone that they cut their hair?

SHELIAANN1969
May 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM
If anyone said that to me, (I wouldnt back talk granny haha) but anyone else, I'd say, "oh yeah, I quit shaving the hair on my legs so I could grow it and donate it instead, so that way i can keep my own hair on my own head" lololol

ewwwwwwwww, hehehe

RavennaNight
May 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I had a lady tell me to donate my hair at work once, too. It seemed almost like a reflex action. I said "I'm growing my hair down to my butt." and she immediately said " oh are you growing for LoL?" And I simply said no.She confined about how its for kids with cancer and how she'd look into it for me, almost trying to guilt me into doing it. I felt like it was implied that it was a selfish thing to grow your hair because you like it nowadays. I don't understand the logic of why some people react like this to long hair. I think that they feel that for whatever reason they feel they aren't allowed have long hair (maybe thy thin they are too old or unprofessional or they never could because they fried their own hair) and have some form of jealousy of those who don't feel constrained by the same societal issues that keep them from growing their hair. I'm not saying. Simply jealous of someones long hair, that's too simple and immature. I' saying a constrained person jealous of the freedom they don't feel they have.

RavennaNight
May 12th, 2008, 12:24 AM
continued not confined. Oops

Morag
May 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I think in that situation I would like to be able to calmly say, "I'm impressed that you feel so strongly about this. Maybe you should consider growing your own hair out so that you can donate it."

But of course, I'd probably say it in a terrifically sarcastic tone, thus ruining the effect. :demon: And, also of course, I would never say such a thing to my granny.

Addition:
You're right, RavennaNight, they always seem to have some excuse why they can't do it themselves.

k_hepburn
May 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I'm sorry you have to deal with this, Alatriel. I realise that the usual responses are pretty much off limits when it's your own grandmother making such a suggestion, but if she does persist, maybe you can find a way to politely but firmly tell her that you consider it rather hurtful for her to try to make you feel like you had to apologize for simply having the appearance of your own choosing and to make your own decisions as to which charities you wish to support and how.

As regards comments made by complete strangers - this always baffles me, when it comes up. It seems such utterly bizarre behaviour to me. What on earth makes them think it's appropriate for them to decide what another person is supposed to do with their own body parts. After all, people don't go up to strangers in the street telling them "Now you look very healthy and clean living - have you considered donating a kidney? Do you realise how many people are out there waiting for a transplant while you are selfishly keeping both of yours to yourself when you only really need one?"

katharine

Finoriel
May 12th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Iīm really sorry you have to deal with this, I guess she did not really think about it more and thought it would be a neat idea and would actually really help the children. Those shows are made good and if you watch them without background informations you could be lead into thinking they are right and itīs a good thing.
Luckily I never got that question because these company is almost unknown here and I doubt that there would be such a hype about it like it seems to be in the US... but who knows.
I think itīs incredibly shortsighted to ask someone to donate his/her hair. Even if you ignore the background of the company, how wigs are made and which hair you need to make them. Quality, amount and length, which is often not given at the donated hair so it goes to waste just peing a promotion gag. Most of all: I would ask them if they really think itīs so important for someone who has lost his/her hair due to cancer and chemotherapy to have a wig. Did not know that a wig is making you healthy again and helps to save your live... I know all in all 6 people of different ages who went through chemotherapy and none of them worried about how their hair looks, they worried about their live and if they will survive, what they wanted to do or already did during their time here. I think when it comes to such existential questions, hair is one of the minor points and it is so way shallow-brained (sorry) to think you could quick-fix all the fear, sorrow and strong physical effects on the body with a simple wig. Itīs like giving someone with an acute heart-attack makeup-advice to make the blue skin go away...
There are far more and better things you can do to help people! What about giving blood and register as an organ or spinal cord donor? I give blood and Iīm registered and I think this is better than donating such a simple thing like hair. Thatīs the point where you can ask the rude person back, if they ever have thought about donating blood or spinal cord?

zelah
May 12th, 2008, 02:04 AM
One would think that if LoL was such a worthy cause and so incredibly important to the people who suggest it that they would be growing and cutting their own hair, instead of having it kept short all the time.

My thoughts exactly! Ughhh.

As regards comments made by complete strangers - this always baffles me, when it comes up. It seems such utterly bizarre behaviour to me. What on earth makes them think it's appropriate for them to decide what another person is supposed to do with their own body parts. After all, people don't go up to strangers in the street telling them "Now you look very healthy and clean living - have you considered donating a kidney? Do you realise how many people are out there waiting for a transplant while you are selfishly keeping both of yours to yourself when you only really need one?"

katharine

Great analogy... hmmm maybe I will use it on someone. :D

Pursuer
May 12th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I am sorry you had to deal with that... it's not like you can sass Grandma back too much, either. LOL

If it were anyone outside my family that suggested it, I would probably walk up to them, grab their arm and "inspect it" and then say, "WOW, your veins look really good - are you harvesting blood or plasma for donation to needy people?" After all, it replenishes, then you can donate again, and it replenishes... :D

EDIT: Just realized someone else said practically the same thing above! Sorry about that! LOL

Tap Dancer
May 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I must be very lucky because when my hair is long, no one ever suggests that I cut and/or donate it. People usually just marvel at how thick it is. I think you handled it well without being disrespectful. :)

LilyMunster
May 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM
With silver hair, I never have gotten this suggestion :p
You handled granny just right, she means well. :o

blondecat
May 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I don't really like Oprah and I give money [yes that all important paper stuff] to the Cancer foundation reaserch/ and Charities.

They need money a heck of a lot more than the hair on my head.

pepperedmoth
May 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Too bad! I think you handled it gracefully. I get this very rarely, but I have my reply all planned out: "I am a nurse (will be true in 4 months!!), do lots of volunteer work, and donate money to charity. That's plenty of giving to others already- my hair is for ME!"

We'll see if that works. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Xandergrammy
May 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Maybe we should have a card to hand out whenever someone asks this question?

heidihug
May 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM

I am seriously considering doing this. Don't know quite what I would put on it, though...

Islandgrrl
May 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I am seriously considering doing this. Don't know quite what I would put on it, though...

I could think of a few things...but none are fit for publication...

lapushka
May 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'd just reply with, "What a great idea. You should do that." You know, as if I didn't understand she was talking for me.

angelthadiva
May 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I had my hair down one AM while it was drying...I quickly ran into the gas station and the attendant asked me to turn around...She, herself, had BSL hair and asked me if I was growing to donate to LoL...

I made my :shock: horror look and said "NO WAY"!! I told her that they charge for the wigs and they end up selling most of the hair that is donated...I told her ppl think they are doing something nice for someone, but OP end up profiting from it, and that's not right...She, herself has donated several times to LoL.

I told her to check out Pantene, since that is more reputible! She was actually very glad I told her. :)

Lady Godiva
May 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
What is it about grandmothers that suggests we can't challenge them back? Most of them are not made of fine china or require kid-glove treatment. :wink: Lots of grandmas are tough and can take it. Say it nicely - as you should with anyone - and say it honestly. Make sure you get your facts straight first, though.

I have long liked the reply that if someone feels so strongly about X organization, they they should take it upon themselves to donate to it, not pester others to do the deed instead.

OR

"Just as your charitable donations are your business alone, so are mine. Thank you for leaving it at that." :twocents:

OR

"I would never presume to instruct another person how to manage their private charitable donations. That's between her, God and the tax collector." ;)

OR

"I already have charities that I donate to, but you're move than welcome to donate to that particular one." :)

OR (to those who compliment and then suggest cutting off what they just complimented :confused: )

"How would you feel if I said that your dress/suit/car was so nice that you ought to damage it and donate it? Would that seem odd? It's essentially what you just said to me." :ponder:

Euphony
May 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I've thought about doing that with the webpage that Purplebubba wrote up that has the BBB info for wigs 4 kids and LOL on it as well as other information. All be darned if I can find that webpage though.

Beatnik Guy
May 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
"Yup, I'm a selfish pig who gives money to cancer research".

That NYT article... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html

purplebubba
May 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I've thought about doing that with the webpage that Purplebubba wrote up that has the BBB info for wigs 4 kids and LOL on it as well as other information. All be darned if I can find that webpage though.

My page is here but I may need to update it. I think some of the links are dead or changed.
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Charities.html

Someday I may get around to fixing it.

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
"Yup, I'm a selfish pig who gives money to cancer research".

I like this!

Euphony
May 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
My page is here but I may need to update it. I think some of the links are dead or changed.
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Charities.html

Someday I may get around to fixing it.
OOOOOOOOOO thank you so much!

And BNG I completely forgot about that NY Times article thank you.

Nynaeve
May 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I was visiting my grandmother today, and while I was sitting in a chair, examining the ends of my hair, she asked me if I liked my hair long.

I said yes, and told her I wanted to grow my hair down to my butt so I could have a really long braid.

"Are you going to cut it and donate it?" she asks. To which I shook my head and said no. Then I said that some places like that aren't reputable (Locks of Love).

She says: "You're not going to cut it and donate it to children with cancer? I've seen them do that on Oprah. You can grow it out again and then cut it and then grow it out again and cut it, and so on."
I just went on examining the differences in color between the hair on top of my head, and the darker hair underneath.

And that's all. Just felt like sharing. :rolleyes:

No offense, but has she forgotten how long it takes to grow hair?
And again no offense, but a similar thing happened to me not to long ago, and it bothers me how some people complain when longhairs don't cut their hair for donations, when the complainers have hair to maybe their chin and only ever cut about an inch off... not enough to donate, and THEY never grow their hair out. :rolleyes:

gretchen_hair
May 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
AWW God bless her little pea pickin' heart. At least she means well. Although
DO NOT LISTEN. LOL. Its ok to let her think what she wants. You shoulda told her thats a good idea wanna grow yours too.

gretchen_hair
May 12th, 2008, 03:45 PM
What is it about grandmothers that suggests we can't challenge them back? Most of them are not made of fine china or require kid-glove treatment. :wink: Lots of grandmas are tough and can take it. Say it nicely - as you should with anyone - and say it honestly. Make sure you get your facts straight first, though.

I have long liked the reply that if someone feels so strongly about X organization, they they should take it upon themselves to donate to it, not pester others to do the deed instead.

OR

"Just as your charitable donations are your business alone, so are mine. Thank you for leaving it at that." :twocents:

OR

"I would never presume to instruct another person how to manage their private charitable donations. That's between her, God and the tax collector." ;)

OR

"I already have charities that I donate to, but you're move than welcome to donate to that particular one." :)

OR (to those who compliment and then suggest cutting off what they just complimented :confused: )

"How would you feel if I said that your dress/suit/car was so nice that you ought to damage it and donate it? Would that seem odd? It's essentially what you just said to me." :ponder:

Great answers, i will keep them in mind and use them!
Thank you

Pursuer
May 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'd just reply with, "What a great idea. You should do that." You know, as if I didn't understand she was talking for me.

:D I LOVE this one! Acting stupid to what they're talking about puts them in a dilemna - they either can act openly act like a jerk, as though donating a longhair's hair is okay, but a shock for them to do; or they can close their mouths like they should have to begin with. Brilliant!

shelleybean
May 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The thing that bothers me the most about the whole LoL thing is that it seems like they aren't informing people about their guidelines regarding acceptable hair for donation. It could be the folks organizing these events don't get the guideline ahead of time r just don't speak with LoL first. A friend of mine donated her hip length super thick hair a while ago sadly it was before I knew her since her hair was dyed black I am sure it was just thrown out. Gack! How awful.

I must be a real meany. I've never once been asked about LoL. Sometimes it's good to be a grumpy unapproachable person. :) Although my Gram enjoyed saying all sorts of inappropriate things to me, LOL, on all sorts of subjects.

Tangles
May 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
It's a great gesture to cut your hair off for charity, but I think doing it once in a lifetime is more than enough, and it in no way should be demanded by strangers. That is ridiculous. Hair is such a personal thing, it's a part of your body.

Riot Crrl
May 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have a question. Anyone know folks who do donate to LoL? Do you say anything about it, or keep quiet?

I know several. They have drastically different attitudes about it, ranging from "I just wanted all my hair cut off so this was awesome cause I got a free haircut" to "I like my hair short but I specifically grew it for this purpose" to "I hate getting haircuts and I have an easy time growing thick hair to classic so I just do this every couple years and they never cut above mid back anyway."

So far, I have kept my mouth shut.

Lady Godiva
May 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have a question. Anyone know folks who do donate to LoL? Do you say anything about it, or keep quiet?For me, it depends greatly on the situation and the individuals involved how I would handle this.

For acquaintances and friends, whose motives usually are more friendly and kind, I might mention, "Hey, have you seen the stats on how many hair donations they receive v. how many hairpieces they've made? I was surprised by how little hair actually gets used for their stated purpose. It's less than 10%." It's a conversational opener. No need to lay out all arguments at once.

For strangers in public with more nerve than social skills, I'll be more blunt, since I have no interest in halting my errands with a protracted conversation. "Well, I've done my research on hair donation 'charities,' and none of them are worth it. They take in WAAAY more hair than they ever use for ill children. I suggest doing some research on charities before recommending them to others."

At times I've added, "Besides which, if you're concerned about people with cancer, donating money to support research for actual cures does a lot more good than making hairpieces, which only cover up their illness so it's hidden. The bottom line is that people with cancer want cures more than warm-fuzzy, band-aid methods of caring for them. I know, as I've spoken with friends who have had cancer." <-- Make sure that last part's true.

I've said all of the above or the like at different occasions. I've met some downright rude haircut charity workers who really tried to pile on the guilt trip. Next time, I'll be ready to put the onus right back on them. Just because my hair is long doesn't make me more responsible for cancer in the world or more obligated to do something about it than short-haired people are.

spidermom
May 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
The one and only time this was asked of me, I said "I'm growing it to enjoy it." And the discussion ended.

GlennaGirl
May 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I despise the whole shady LoL thing with them allowing people to continue thinking they're "giving their hair to a child with cancer," and the guilt factor, but I have two cousins who grow their hair specifically for LoL and I don't say anything.

They don't want or like long hair on themselves--they just grow it specifically to donate. They don't miss it when it's gone and they feel like they're doing something to help someone. So I just don't say anything.

Periwinkle
May 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I really think this must be an American thing. I'm in the UK, and I've never once been asked to donate my hair, known anyone who has donated their hair or heard of a donation day. It's just not done.

swanns
May 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I really think this must be an American thing. I'm in the UK, and I've never once been asked to donate my hair, known anyone who has donated their hair or heard of a donation day. It's just not done.

I was just about to say this. I've only heard about donating hair and LoL on the longhair comm on LJ, here and on Extreme Makeover :p

Oh and about LJ, I remember this girl there, who actually was fighting cancer at the moment, said cancer kids don't eve like real hair wigs, that they're too much trouble and synthetic hair wigs are much easier and nicer in general.

DaveDecker
May 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
[Stands on soapbox]:rant:
Uggh, why is Oprah the end all, be all for some people?:rolleyes:

Just because you saw it on Oprah or heard Oprah say it doesn't make it religion. Seriously, I'm so sick of grown women quoting her like it's scripture! :brickwall[End of soapbox]

Why do people feel like long hair is an excuse to pry into others business? It's not okay to ask someone how much money they contributed to tithes, just because they attend church. It's not okay to suggest to someone that they donate food to homeless shelter, because it looks like they eat well. So why is it okay to suggest to someone that they cut their hair?

Because 0prah said so. :rolleyes:

Seriously, your point is well taken and wholly valid. She has cultivated a large set of adoring fans that treat her like a diety. :puke:

I had a lady tell me to donate my hair at work once, too. It seemed almost like a reflex action. I said "I'm growing my hair down to my butt." and she immediately said " oh are you growing for LoL?" And I simply said no.She confined about how its for kids with cancer and how she'd look into it for me, almost trying to guilt me into doing it. I felt like it was implied that it was a selfish thing to grow your hair because you like it nowadays. I don't understand the logic of why some people react like this to long hair. I think that they feel that for whatever reason they feel they aren't allowed have long hair (maybe thy thin they are too old or unprofessional or they never could because they fried their own hair) and have some form of jealousy of those who don't feel constrained by the same societal issues that keep them from growing their hair. I'm not saying. Simply jealous of someones long hair, that's too simple and immature. I' saying a constrained person jealous of the freedom they don't feel they have.

How selfish of the woman at work to simultaneously (1) promote the notion that donating hair to lol is a righteous act, and (2) refuse to grow her own hair long for such purpose. Her behavior defines hypocrisy.

Michiru
May 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM

I have thought of this too.

blue_nant
May 14th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Do I suggest you get a boob job for the benefit of your tiny chest? No.

Ohhh, good thought!

I had a coworker talk to me about my hair, and she only asked when I was going to cut it, not donate it ... I'm like why in hell would I do that? this is mine! You go ahead and do that with YOUR hair, but I'm not doing that with my hair. I GREW IT because I LIKE IT LONG! le duh. :knuckle:

The LoL not being a reputable organization I bet sounds like Lalalalalala to them. They are stuck in a rut of what to do with long hair. BAH.

So what I wear a bun or a braid every day? I can do it if I want.

And I DO have to think of a way to suggest that if they have the right to suggest I donate to LoL, then I have the reciprocal right to offer suggestions on them: Why don't you fix that nose/chest/bugeye ... better yet, fix that attitude that gives you the right to suggest I chop my hair. :knuckle:

Grrrr.

And while you're at it, sell that stinking giant gashogging SUV you drive! :knuckle:

Oprah is an idiot about long hair. I have written to her on her website, and it wasn't complimentary. I don't think she knows jack about long hair, and to be fair, I think she needs to have about 14 years of pro-long hair shows. Bah.

Well said, Dave!

seadaughter
May 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
If the fact we are growing/have grown our hair long means we have to donate it, why don't people with shorter hair have to start growing their hair IN ORDER to donate it?

No one has the right to tell anyone else how long wear their hair!!!

DaveDecker
May 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM
If the fact we are growing/have grown our hair long means we have to donate it, why don't people with shorter hair have to start growing their hair IN ORDER to donate it?

No one has the right to tell anyone else how long wear their hair!!!

Yeah. And I wonder why is it that current longhairs are looked at as an exploitable resource for others to ameliorate their own charitable inadequacies?

CaityBear
May 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I've heard that tons between this time and the last time my hair was really long.

The only reason I plan to donate my hair (not to Locks of Love) is because I just want to cut my hair. I had it almost hip length and cut it to shoulder length a few years ago because I wanted a change and I planned to donate that and I want my hair to grow out to hip length now and when I want a change I'm going to cut it to chin length and probably donate my hair then. But only when I plan on cutting it for my own reasons.

I don't know why somebody would just grow out their hair just to donate it...o_O I think it's a nice thing to do if you plan on cutting your hair anyways. There are other ways to help kids with cancer and whatnot.

kwaniesiam
May 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ah, the phenomenon of old ladies and Oprah. My gran is the same way, except she literally dyes her hair from blonde to brown and back again at least 3 times every two weeks. It's a wonder she still has hair :rolleyes: Just ignore it the best you can.

The LoL thing really bugs me too. There are a few kids at my school that are growing their hair for LoL, but I see them every morning in the bathroom with their straighteners and curling irons...by the time they cut the hair to donate it, it'll be too damaged for them to even use it.

MadPirateBippy
May 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I have a great stopper for the LOL comments, but I have only gotten it once.

I'm on the bone marrow directory. Matching bone marrow is hard as heck and if you've got a baby with lukemia, it can be the only way to save them. Donation is painful, but you recover and they give you some swell drugs afterwards. I'd much rather donate my bone marrow to save a life than my hair, and you don't have to be a long hair to donate marrow.

Then I ask the person if they've ever joined the bone marrow registry. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html

I have little patience for not well thought out gestures to make yourself feel better. I have endless appreciation of genuine sacrifice to save a life.

I'm sure that more than wigs, a kid would like a treatment that can help.

DarkChocolate
May 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Great analogy k-hepburn:)

I hate it when people try to talk others into donating anything for that matter while trying to make the person who possesses something feel guilty. Yeah your hair will grow back but it will probably take two or three years to get long again. I don't know what is up with the long length that Locks of Love requires either.

loves2spin
May 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
And really, do children want to wear wigs? Wouldn't they rather have a cool hat/cap or somthing like that? And who would want to have to take care of a human hair wig? Seems to me it would be very inconvenient.

My answer, if anyone ever asks me that will be, "I did that once. Now I'm growing it out for the rest of my life because I've always wanted to be one of those old ladies with long grey hair." (And that's the truth! - I think it's stunning!) :)

freznow
May 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I don't know what is up with the long length that Locks of Love requires either.

Well, with the method that turns hair into wigs, 10" turns into less than a 5" wig.

And yeah, human hair wigs are hard to take care of. Synthetic often look better, are easier to care for, and all that... There's so many things faulty with this whole concept.

atlantaz3
May 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I liked a previous thread response to this about asking them to donate their car or home because people need those more than hair!
I recently had a friend of my mother greet me with "I didn't know your hair had gotten so long, I liked it better short." thanks but I didn't ask how you liked my hair. I think the only reason my mom likes my long hair is because she knows what I pay for a trim and the less cuts the more money I save...

IdiotBird
May 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I do plan on donating a foot of my hair when my grandparents pass away, but not to LOL. By all accounts, that place is shady.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I have a great stopper for the LOL comments, but I have only gotten it once.

I'm on the bone marrow directory. Matching bone marrow is hard as heck and if you've got a baby with lukemia, it can be the only way to save them. Donation is painful, but you recover and they give you some swell drugs afterwards. I'd much rather donate my bone marrow to save a life than my hair, and you don't have to be a long hair to donate marrow.

Then I ask the person if they've ever joined the bone marrow registry. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html

I have little patience for not well thought out gestures to make yourself feel better. I have endless appreciation of genuine sacrifice to save a life.

I'm sure that more than wigs, a kid would like a treatment that can help.

Nice one MPB, and I completely agree. Children care more about how they feel than how they look, unless we are forcing looks upon them. I'm definitely more concerned with a child's well-being than with their appearance. I'd rather save their lives than worry about what they look like.
TBH though, I would offer to knit a hat if they wanted me to. :)

nowxisxforever
May 16th, 2008, 12:15 AM
And really, do children want to wear wigs? Wouldn't they rather have a cool hat/cap or somthing like that? And who would want to have to take care of a human hair wig? Seems to me it would be very inconvenient.

My answer, if anyone ever asks me that will be, "I did that once. Now I'm growing it out for the rest of my life because I've always wanted to be one of those old ladies with long grey hair." (And that's the truth! - I think it's stunning!) :)
I would only ever donate my hair (Not to LoL) if I wanted to cut it-- and even then, I'd be more inclined to save my braid!!

So far as the "What would kids want" .... when I was in 5th grade (I'm 20 now), there was a girl named Erica who had some illness or another as a small child and had NO hair follicles whatsoever. She wore her head bare and proud, no wig, no nothing! She had a real no-nonsense attitude about it. It was what it was and it made her unique! We all thought she was beautiful, and really-- kids with illnesses that cause them to lose hair should be taught to love themselves, not how to conform to what society thinks they should look like.

Use it as a lesson in self-esteem and self-worth -- show them that yes, even while you're so sickly, and BALD, you are a beautiful, wonderful, worthwhile person -- so that they can carry that self-confidence with them for the rest of their lives, whether their illness continues or not.

Don't cover up what makes them unique, don't cover up their 'victory scars'. Help them embrace it.

Elbereth
May 16th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I think I might play dumb and ask something like: "Interesting idea. Can you explain to me, how exactly does a wig help in finding a cure for cancer?"

rubyann
May 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Several people who know I'm growing my hair have asked if I'm doing it so I can donate it. I've been known to reply that I'm growing because I want long hair, not to give it away.

I like the comebacks that turn it around on the asker. Great idea!