PDA

View Full Version : I'm way too young for a receding hairline

McFearless
June 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
My hairline is so thin..and it seems to be running away from my face :|

Its been over 6 months since I've put down all heat. Shouldnt it have grown in by now? It looks absolutely awful. Is anyone else in this same position? Advice please?

Brenda714
June 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hi,
I kinda know what you are going through, I have always had very thick hair, but after abusing it and having layers put in it and lately I've had a lot of shedding that is scary to me. I'm sure you must be frustrated. Has your hairline always been like that, maybe it has and it looks just fine. It may be fine hair and do you have a lot of it? Are you blonde? I'm just wondering. Sometimes it takes longer to wait to have our hair thicken back up and/or grow. How long is your hair now? It sounds like it must be silky and smooth. Just trying to encourage you, let's grit our teeth (smile) together and hope for the best. Best of Luck to you my friend.:D
x

SpecialKitty
June 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I think it's pretty common for women in their 40's to experience this. I know I am and my sister too. It is partially hereditary, and partially hormones. I don't think heat styling would affect your hairline as much as your ends.....

To deal with this, truthfully - I am just learning to embrace my big ol' forehead. You could try different oils and serums, and massage along the hairline. I know some on this board have had success with different methods. I'm either too lazy to do those things, or I'm worried that I'll have to keep doing those things to maintain my hairline. Instead, I just accept my hair the way it is.

Kathie
June 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
My stepmum had a reducing hair-line. But she also use to tie her hair back in a very tight ponytail leading which lead to alopecia.

hemolymph
June 11th, 2010, 12:57 AM
What hormone would be responsible for receding hairline? Testosterone?

jera
June 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM
What hormone would be responsible for receding hairline? Testosterone?

These are my thoughts on the situation too. :) Have you had your hormones checked? Too much estrogen can cause hair loss in women as well as a testosterone imbalance but it ususally doesn't show up til menopause.

countryhopper
June 11th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Has anything changed for you recently or in the last few months? Your body may be reacting to stress, hormone changes, changes in diet, some kind of deficiency, etc. I'm just throwing some ideas out there, but it might be best to see a doctor if you feel it is really serious.

kristymarie87
June 11th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Im 22 and my hairline is terrible. But its always been that way. I didnt notice til i was in my late teens and have been very aware of it since! It makes it hard to have all my hair out of my face because it looks so fine and whispy around that area! My boyfriend is the same maybe worse.....god help us if we have babies!

His hair is super thick and grows about an inch per month i swear! I cut it last night and in 4 weeks his fringe will cover his eyes....lucky **** :(

sibiryachka
June 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I never thought of my hairline as receding, until I started taking biotin supplements about 6 months ago, and within 2 months I started to see *tons* of new growth at the hairline, and at/above the temples where it was thinning. I hadn't even realized that it was thinning, until it started to come back. YMMV, of course, but I swear by it.
I started at 500 mg/day, but last time I was shopping they only had 1000 mg, so for now I'm taking that, just every other day.

McFearless
June 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm a teen and it doesn't run in my family so I'm worried. When I touch my scalp its tender in this area. I can also see all my pores? They look like large holes where my hair is growing out of.

I just want it to go away. I'm doing all the right things and Im so careful with my hair.

McFearless
June 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments by the way. Nothing has changed in my life. I've actually improved my diet.

Stormphoenix
June 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I am in the same boat. I am past 35 years old and I noticed a thinning hairline a few months ago...do it have to do with an increase in testosterone / libido? OMG, I want my hair to be thicker like it used to be!!!

Stormphoenix
June 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Actually, I got off the pill about 6 months ago...could it be hormones "rebalancing" or readjusting? Is there anything I can do to counteract thinning hair / hair loss! I am vain about my hair. I love it and I don't want to see it any thinner than it has already gotten.

mamaherrera
August 28th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I wish I had biotin work for me like that. I too, have some recession in the temples, only I probably notice it, since I've always had a receded temple area, but it's a tad bit more back. I tried biotin, bt never saw it work like that. Good for you!!

I never thought of my hairline as receding, until I started taking biotin supplements about 6 months ago, and within 2 months I started to see *tons* of new growth at the hairline, and at/above the temples where it was thinning. I hadn't even realized that it was thinning, until it started to come back. YMMV, of course, but I swear by it.
I started at 500 mg/day, but last time I was shopping they only had 1000 mg, so for now I'm taking that, just every other day.

battles
August 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Perhaps castor oil or monistat would help with some new growth? Sorry I don't have any better advice to offer. I hope you're able to find a solution. :flower:

jeanniet
August 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I would first go to your doctor and have a complete blood work up done, including hormones. While some women may experience hair loss as they age, it's by no means universal, so I wouldn't chalk it up to age without having some testing done first. I'm 55, and my hairline/thickness is the same as ever. My mom is 82, and her hair hasn't changed at all. My point is that it's easy to make the assumption that age = thinness, especially around menopause, but it's not necessarily true and I would look at other possible factors first. And don't let the doctor blow you off on the age front, either.

mbondare
August 29th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I have read that chaste berry or vitex helps regulate hormones. I am not sure if this could help with hormone related hair loss, but since I have been taking it I have had regular periods and less discomfort during and before menstruation. I have never had regular periods before (10years of irregularity) so it definitely balances the hormones somewhat. I did notice however, that the first month or so my skin was EXTREMELY oily. I mean I would become the shiniest thing ever within 20 minutes of washing or toweling off my face. But that went away and my skin tone has actually improved and is not oily anymore!

Unicorn
August 29th, 2013, 01:10 AM
It may be worth trying castor oil applied daily to the scalp. It works for a lot of people with thinning hair lines. My mother had this and I seem to be going the same way. I've recently started using castor oil on the temple areas where my hair seems to be thinning, I'm not very good at remembering to do it every day, but it the hair seems thicker there since I've been using it.

ETA: I first noticed the thinning when I had my hair put into locks. The small area at the temple had very short hair that was just too thin to attempt to put into locs, so I know it isn't due to the locs as it was already apparent the day they were being put in.

Unicorn

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM
So sorry to hear that:(
I was born with what I call a male shaped forehead, too high, and square.
I've been researching how thyroid and endocrine problems could have lead to this shaped forehead.
I've learned that shoulder stands and the beginning of a somersault both bend the neck just right to stimulate the thyroid. Also there are pressure points just below the collarbone that stimulates the thyroid.
I've been experimenting with these things, and will let you know if I see any changes:)
I also once saw a girl who brushed her hair for the first time regularly, and saw growth there just from stimulation:)
I use a horn comb, and an acupressure roller on my scalp. Love the feel but these things take time. I was also born with soft nails, also related to this issue.

McFearless
August 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Aw this thread is old! I've been to the doctor numerous times since for a wide range of tests and my diet improved as well. I've since accepted that the hair loss is permanent and a result of heat styling for a few years. I was never warned about that possible outcome and everyone around me who used the same styling tool didn't have such a result. The follicles are probably damaged beyond repair. I can still see the large empty pores! It isn't traction alopecia either, tight styles aren't my thing. I've gotten success from methods I learned from you all like castor oil and then later essential oils diluted in jojoba/emu oil but the thinning was so severe that even with the new growth it is still noticeable and dramatically contrasts the rest of my head which is very full. Aw but thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

PamelaViktoria, your post is very interesting. Please continue to share your progress and knowledge.

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
So sorry to hear that:(
I was born with what I call a male shaped forehead, too high, and square.
I've been researching how thyroid and endocrine problems could have lead to this shaped forehead.
I've learned that shoulder stands and the beginning of a somersault both bend the neck just right to stimulate the thyroid. Also there are pressure points just below the collarbone that stimulates the thyroid.
I've been experimenting with these things, and will let you know if I see any changes:)
I also once saw a girl who brushed her hair for the first time regularly, and saw growth there just from stimulation:)
I use a horn comb, and an acupressure roller on my scalp. Love the feel but these things take time. I was also born with soft nails, also related to this issue.

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Aw this thread is old! I've been to the doctor numerous times since for a wide range of tests and my diet improved as well. I've since accepted that the hair loss is permanent and a result of heat styling for a few years. I was never warned about that possible outcome and everyone around me who used the same styling tool didn't have such a result. The follicles are probably damaged beyond repair. I can still see the large empty pores! It isn't traction alopecia either, tight styles aren't my thing. I've gotten success from methods I learned from you all like castor oil and then later essential oils diluted in jojoba/emu oil but the thinning was so severe that even with the new growth it is still noticeable and dramatically contrasts the rest of my head which is very full. Aw but thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

PamelaViktoria, your post is very interesting. Please continue to share your progress and knowledge.

Aww thanks!
I'm actually so happy with where I am in life right now. But a few things still stand out to me as weaknesses:
besides the above that I mentioned, darker eyebrows than our hair is a sign of good health, and long eyelashes are a sign that a mother had enough plant based proteins when she was pregnant. This is very specific in Asian medicine (plant based vs animal based). I was conceived in fall, so my mom would have only have had stored potatoes, some frozen veggies, and canned goods. This was northern Canada. It reflects in my pretty pathetic eyelashes. But this doesn't mean that I can't get back to what my ideal DNA should be. I just need to continue in my healthy lifestyle choices.

hannabiss
August 29th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I have a very high forehead and on too of that a widows peak! I've always hated it now I wonder if it may be health related tho I think it's always been this way.

alyanna
August 29th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this McFearless. But if you are a teen, don't despair about the follicles being damaged beyond repair. You might still be able to salvage them. I would most definitely continue with the castor oil and daily massages in that area. You could ask a dermatologist if you can use minoxidil to stimulate those follicles further. Once the hair comes back out, you may not need to continue using minoxidil indefinitely since the hair loss was not due to hormones in the first place.

I am very impressed that you are a teen. You are so smart and articulate!

McFearless
August 30th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks so much alyanna. I hope you're doing well. :blossom: I'll bring that up with my dermatologist and see what she thinks.