PDA

View Full Version : Positive thinking! :)

Pandora.
June 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Random post, but hey ho.

When I first joined LHC, I was feeling really down and depressed about my hair. I was so silly that I would cry about how much I disliked it. I know, pathetic right?

I came to the conclusion that putting myself in the right state of mind will benefit me so much.

I can't afford to be wasting my time being miserable about something I shouldn't be miserable about. So, I started to have a talk with myself, and telling myself the things I like about my hair, and that I already have a good starting point on my "hair journey". So my hair wasn't as nice as it was before, but you have to deal with things like that in life. As a solution, I started to list things that have vastly improved about me from when my hair was better (i.e. my personality is stronger and more admirable, my intelligence has increased a lot and I'm getting good grades at school, and my general appearance is a lot better from back then since I've lost a lot of weight and my face is better for some reason).

I have even had reassurance about my hair from my friends and family (not that I went round asking for reassurance or anything) who have told me that my hair is "lovely", "really nice", "in good condition" (even though it's not, lol!!) and stuff, which made me so happy. Seriously, even the slightest compliments will surprise me and make me smile. :)

You know, our insecurites CAN just be something vicious playing around in our minds, and no where near as worse as we think they are. I've told myself that I finally LIKE my hair, as do so many other people, and that I don't care what other stuck-up and snobby people say - because nobody is perfect!

My theory is that if you can't be content at the beginning of a journey, then you probably won't be content during (or even after) it either. If you keep being extremely miserable, bitter and critical about something, then you'll never ever satisified; regardless of whether your hair has improved.

/end ramblings. :D

JenniferNoel
June 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
That's the spirit, dear! :)
And remember, you are only as happy as you allow yourself to be, whether it be with hair, beauty, life, everything. And it's not pathetic that you cried over your hair, it's perfectly normal. It's fine to feel that strongly, it's something that probably means a lot to you.

yellowchariot
June 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
My theory is that if you can't be content at the beginning of a journey, then you probably won't be content during (or even after) it either. If you keep being extremely miserable, bitter and critical about something, then you'll never ever satisified; regardless of whether your hair has improved.

/end ramblings. :D

Pandora, your are exactly right. I agree with you. You need to stay positive no matter who says what, or how things end up being.

You are the one walking the path, along the journey, the path doesn't walk you!

That's the spirit, dear! :)
And remember, you are only as happy as you allow yourself to be, whether it be with hair, beauty, life, everything. And it's not pathetic that you cried over your hair, it's perfectly normal. It's fine to feel that strongly, it's something that probably means a lot to you.

JenniferNoel, that's a great response! We all have our strong emotions and things that mean a great deal to us.

spidermom
June 10th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Training yourself to find the positive is definitely worth the time and effort, especially when you're not naturally inclined that way. I hope you stay happy with your hair.

halo_tightens
June 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I was pretty much going to say what spidermom just said, so there ya go! It can indeed be an effort for some of us, but it's SO worthwhile to re-learn how we see ourselves and the world around us. :)

katha
June 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
As you said: Why waste time on being miserable? There's no point in directing hate towards yourself.

Anyway, good luck with positive thinking. If you feel you need a reminder: use a post it on your bathroom mirror, so you see it first thing in the morning. :)

TrudieCat
June 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think we've all cried over something we think might be silly, but there's nothing wrong with that. We're just people. :) It was very inspiring to read your post, and I agree with all the other posters here that developing positive thinking in life is something worth investing yourself in.

Fear, worries, and negative thoughts in general will take what you give them. They will take more and more, as you get used to giving them more and more of your energy. It's a draining cycle.

Positive thoughts, kindness (to yourself and others) and hope will live within you and spread to others. They will infuse your being, enrich your life and replenish you. And also maybe make you happier with your lovely hair! :D

I personally dwell a little too much on the dark side, many days. It's good to find someone to talk to to diffuse negative energy, and I think it's awesome that you are able to share your breakthrough with this forum!

May
June 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I love what you said and I couldn't agree more. It's amazing how powerful our thoughts are...we truly are our own worst enemies at times if we allow it...

One of my favourite quotes: "It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." ~W.C. Fields

Capybara
June 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
That's the right mindset! :D

The great thing is that it works for everything, not just hair. Being positive can help your outlook on many areas in life!! :cheese:

Katurday
June 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Im positive but realistic. I believe in self confidence AND room for improvement.

Mae
June 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
That's a good philosophy! I especially liked the part about being happy at the beginning of the journey. I have definitely started projects or what not with the thought, "well, I'll be happy later, if not now," but unfortunately, it is always "now, and never "later." :D I finally had to tell myself that I was the only thing stopping me from being happy.

Loreley
June 11th, 2010, 12:57 AM
You're right! Positive thinking is very important. If we had only negative thoughts, we would be very depressed...

Pandora.
June 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the responses!! :)
I must admit, I was quite nervous when I first joined LHC, as I thought there would be so many of those extremely rude and stuck-up haircare snobs like the ones you may find elsewhere, but I would say about 99% of you are very nice and supportive - which is awesome.

Im positive but realistic. I believe in self confidence AND room for improvement.

I do agree with you, actually. I am always a realist. I have not once been a dreamer - not ever. I'm way too pessimistic for my own good, but it's only been now that I've out things into perspective and made myself realise that things are nowhere as bad as they seem.

There will always be room for improvement, for each and every individual. IMO nothing is humanly possible to be perfect (although, sometimes the imperfections are something people can benefit from, learn from or they can even be what makes something - on a whole - beautiful).