PDA

View Full Version : Hair Disaster. . . ALMOST!

yellowchariot
June 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hey Everything,

I'd like to share with you all a close call that I had yesterday, one that could have ended up very bad. . .

It was a normal day, just like any other day. I went to TN to visit my little cousins. They are 4 and 6 years old. We had a blast swimming all that day. We were outside from 11:30am to 3:00pm. So we baked in the sun, splashing each other, screaming, crying, and being mean to each other like we always do lol.

We got out of the pool around 3 o'clock that evening, and decided to go inside and rest. I got on my mom's laptop to check my email. My cousin who is a 6 year old girl wanted to brush my hair, and her 4 year old brother wanted to help out. So without thinking I said, "ok, sure."

I was pre-occupied with the internet, and checking the status of a computer part that I had ordered online. The 6 year old had a brush, and the 4 year old had a comb. After about 10 minutes, I began to feel the 4 year old yanking on the left side of my head, pulling A LOT of hair. Then I heard the 6 year old say "LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!!"

I grabbed the comb, and felt of the left side of my hair. Somehow he had wrapped my hair multiple times around the comb. I didn't even know or feel that he had done that or else I would have stopped him. My mom was also there, babysitting the kids, however she was in the shower during this time. I tried to untangle the comb, but a BIG chunk of my hair was so tightly wrapped around it, that I couldn't get enough slack to loosen it up. Then my mom looked at it sand said, "That's really bad, we may have to cut it out." She worked with it for about an hour. . . and nothing! It wouldn't unravel. So I jumped in the shower and basted my head with conditioner, I think it was called Herbal Essence "Dangerously Straight", and I began to slowly remove small pieces of hair from the comb without ripping it out. I had loosened the tension some, however after an hour of fiddling with it, I decided to rinse off and take a break.

Everybody there told me, "You're gonna have to cut that comb out, that's the only way to get it out." If I did, then I would have to get a layered style cut, from the tip top of my head, ALL of the way down, for my hair to even look presentable. So my mom and I came back home to VA that evening, with the comb stuck in my head LOL (it wasn't funny at the time) She kept saying . . . "I don't know how we're going to get that comb out because it has twisted and knotted your hair up so bad, but your hair would look good cut short in layers!"

Now mind you all, that my mom is a Christian woman. She raised me to acknowledge Biblical morals, taught me how to believe in miracles, and act upon faith. So I replied to her and said, "The good Lord gave me this hair, the men in our family has gone bald at fairly early stages in their life except for me. . . I'm not going to let something like this take away what the Lord has blessed me with. . . My hair is also a gift for the woman that God has for me." ;)

When we got home, I instantly went for my tool box! I grabbed the best thing I could find. . . WIRE CUTTERS! I began to snip off each tooth of the comb. Then my mom snipped off what I could not see in the mirror. We spent an hour parting my hair, and cutting that comb off piece by piece. Then she would free small parts of my hair, once each section of the comb was cut. She finally got the comb out, literally in pieces.

After the comb was out, a HUG knot of hair remained. So we took a fine tooth rat tail comb (the same comb I threw away from the camera in my youtube french braiding tutorial LOL) to pick out the knot. After about 30 more minutes my hair was smooth, straight, and knot free. All of the conditioner I had put in my hair helped out. My mom said "This was truly a miracle. . . This is the best that your hair has looked, normally it is greasy and wavy, but now it's just straight and soft." I lost only a small fraction of hair that came out tiny knots (no more than what I would accumulate in the shower drain)

I feel truly blessed. I would have took pictures of the comb in my hair, but obviously that was the last thing I was thinking about! If you could have seen how my hair looked with that comb matted in it, then most of you would probably agree that the only option would be to cut it out. So I offer hope to those of who you, who may get something stuck in your hair! Just have patience and faith! :thumbsup:

For the record, I did not cry during this whole ordeal! haha!

Also I want to ask you all, if you have ever got an object stuck in your hair?! Did you get it out? What did you do?

Peace Out!!!

Nae
June 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Wow, that was better than a movie. Suspenseful, action-packed, made me laugh and cry.

But seriously, thank goodness you got that thing outta your hair, that would have been AWFUL!!!! I am making a mental note never to let my little nieces or nephews "help" me comb my hair.

The only object I can remember being stuck in my hair was some gum when I was a kid. My mom froze it out by making me stand with my hair stuck in the freezer for like AGES, then it mostly broke apart.

Angeletti
June 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
wow what a close call, I'm glad you and your mom managed to save your hair!

spidermom
June 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I've had to cut out small knots from time to time; that's about it.

Rennire
June 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ouch! Thank goodness your hair pulled through. I've had a round brush stuck in my hair before so I can sympathize a bit. That thing made such a mess! I had to cut a bit to get it out but that was before I was really growing my hair and the damage wasn't very noticable. Now I am super careful.
The worst thing that I've ever had stuck in my hair was a pair of angry hornets but that was for different reasons!

Beldaran
June 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I feel truly blessed. I would have took pictures of the comb in my hair, but obviously that was the last thing I was thinking about! If you could have seen how my hair looked with that comb matted in it, then most of you would probably agree that the only option would be to cut it out. So I offer hope to those of who you, who may get something stuck in your hair! Just have patience and faith! :thumbsup:
I am so glad to hear about your solution. I've heard this story from a few people now and they all say "so I had to cut it out" and I wonder why they didn't try cutting the comb first.

I haven't tangled anything up that badly, but my mom rolled her hair up in a round brush, and there was no way to cut the brush on that one. Her hair had to be cut instead.

Cholera
June 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Once when I was around 10, I had a girl a couple years younger than me brush my hair with a fairly small round brush. She got it really stuck, just like yours. The hair was wrapped around a few times. Luckily, my grandma is a barber, and she was right there. I was almost in tears, cause I thought we'd have to cut it out, but she put peanutbutter all over the brush and my hair, and got it mostly out so we only had to cut off a little tiny bit. I was sooooo relieved. xD

Aliped
June 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Wow! You are so lucky! Glad you got it out!

Years ago, when I still blow dried my hair, I managed to somehow have a large chunk of hair sucked into the intake at the back of the hairdryer. It was awful(and heavy). I can't remember any damage, but it took hours of slowly pulling small sections out piece by piece and was very painful! .... I've also had problems with round brushes with lots of bristles becoming completely wound into my hair. Luckily, nothing recently though .....

Kristin
June 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Phew! Thank goodness you got it out!

I remember getting several round brushes stuck in my hair as a kid. I think there was a fair amount of pulling, minor cutting, and crying involved in their removal. Gum was also stuck in there once or twice, but my grandma always got it out with ice. :)

Capybara
June 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
That's an intriguing story! It must have been awful at the time, but is hopefully something you can laugh at. Thank goodness you didn't cut your hair!

Years ago, I had a jacket with buttons on the lapels. One windy day, my hair got twisted all around the buttons. I couldn't get the jacket off. Fortunately, I had face framing layers already then, and no intention of growing my hair longer, so it wasn't a big deal then.

cindy58
June 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Oh my goodness, you really had a mess to deal with!

I remember when my youngest sister was small, she had wrapped a comb like that in her hair, and my mom had to cut it out. You were very dedicated to work so hard at freeing your hair.

little_acorn
June 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
yikes YC - my hair is wincing in sympathy with you. I've got one of those small round brushed stuck before :scared:

HeavenlyTresses
June 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
So glad to hear you got the comb out with minimal damage, I probably would never have thought about cutting the comb out, I'm sure I would have sat there for ages pulling the hair out one strand at a time. I always think how nice it would be to have someone else brush my hair and then images like this come to mind.

yellowchariot
June 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
A roll brush would have been very tricky! I probably would have done the same thing and used wire cutters to cut off the teeth!

A friend of mine had gum stuck in her hair, and I watched her take an ice cube and hold it onto the gum, until she pulled her hair through, and the gum came right out. I couldn't believe it! It was like watching a magic trick!

jane53
June 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
A roll brush would have been very tricky! I probably would have done the same thing and used wire cutters to cut off the teeth!

A friend of mine had gum stuck in her hair, and I watched her take an ice cube and hold it onto the gum, until she pulled her hair through, and the gum came right out. I couldn't believe it! It was like watching a magic trick!

Peanut butter gets gum out of hair too.

jeanniet
June 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I was dremeling my dog's nails once and like a dummy had my hair hanging loose, and whoosh! a chunk got wrapped up in the sanding tip. I managed to unwrap about half of it, but had to cut some of it off. Luckily the dremel shuts off if there's interference with the spin, so I "only" had to cut three inches or so. Taught me a good lesson!

windinherhair
June 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
That sounds like a scary experience! You just gave me even another reason I am not going to let anyone mess with my hair! I havent gotten anything stuck in my hair recently. When I was a child I had gum stuck in my hair after falling asleep in the car during a trip we were taking. I was so young at the time, my mom just cut it out.

My friend was showing me her hair the other day and she got paint in it! She has washed it twice, and it is still there. It is just on the tip of her hair on one side. I wouldnt have noticed it unless she pointed it out. She was painting over something and her hair was hanging down when it happened. It is so very little that it will just come off the next time she trims her hair. That could have been a worse hair disaster too!

moominhapa
June 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM
That story is EPIC. Glad everything worked out!

trolleypup
June 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Pine tree sap. Then left to set for a few days (backpacking).

Goo Gone to get the sap out, camellia oil to get the Goo Gone out, water to get the camellia oil out. Luckily it was far enough down in my hair I could pull it around and see it.

FrannyG
June 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
What a saga!!! :agape: I don't usually panic about my hair, but I confess, I would have been in a big panic with your situation.

I had a close call with a round brush once, but it was nothing compared to what you went through, YC.

I'm so delighted that there was a happy ending. :)

SHELIAANN1969
June 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Wow, thank heavens you and Mom was able to remove it.

I am going to keep your method in the back of my mind in case this happens to me or anyone in the household. Smart thinking! Wire Cutters! :disco:

ericthegreat
June 10th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Now I have yet another reason NOT to have kids or be the legal guardian of any kid. :D

I'm glad that you were able to figure out a way to literally untangle your hair out, even if it meant the destruction of a comb. Next time be more wary of those pint sized monsters, make sure they don't get anywhere near your hair! :p

yellowchariot
June 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Pine tree sap. Then left to set for a few days (backpacking).

Goo Gone to get the sap out, camellia oil to get the Goo Gone out, water to get the camellia oil out. Luckily it was far enough down in my hair I could pull it around and see it.

^ That's a good idea, trolleypup, I've never had tree sap in my hair before, I hope I never do! I think I'm going to start making a First Aid Hair Kit, by putting items one might need, in a box just in case I do run into the unexpected! My hair has never been this long before, and NOW I need to learn how to maintain from natural and unnatural disasters :D.

What a saga!!! :agape: I don't usually panic about my hair, but I confess, I would have been in a big panic with your situation.

I had a close call with a round brush once, but it was nothing compared to what you went through, YC.

I'm so delighted that there was a happy ending. :)

FrannyG, I did hold my composer, I was very nervous though! I knew if I lost focus, then things would have been worse.

Wow, thank heavens you and Mom was able to remove it.

I am going to keep your method in the back of my mind in case this happens to me or anyone in the household. Smart thinking! Wire Cutters! :disco:

For real, SHELIAANN! EVERYONE needs wire cutters in their hair accessories collection :thumbsup: haha

Now I have yet another reason NOT to have kids or be the legal guardian of any kid. :D

I'm glad that you were able to figure out a way to literally untangle your hair out, even if it meant the destruction of a comb. Next time be more wary of those pint sized monsters, make sure they don't get anywhere near your hair! :p

Eric, that comb was evil! LOL j/k. I don't know why but children are drawn to me, even when I run away from them they run after me LOL i'm serious! When I'm in the store, they are sitting in a buggy staring at me and smiling ear to ear. I don't know what it is! I was at Wal-mart just last week, and there was a little girl screaming and crying to the top of her lungs, while I was waiting in the check out lane. When I looked at her, she'd stop screaming and start smiling at me. Every time I would look away, she would start back up again, until I would look at her. I decided to give her an evil look of the devil :demon: :twisted:, and the only she did was laugh at me :o. LOL

Loreley
June 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm glad you could remove it! :D I wasn't this lucky when I was 4. I fell asleep with a chewing gum in my mouth. In the morning it was in my hair, close to my scalp. My waist-length hair had been cut to neck-length two weeks earlier, and we had to cut it to a very short, boyish style because of the chewing gum. :justy:I remember I was wailing while my mum was pulling me by my hand to the haidresser. :mad:

Purdy Bear
June 10th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Im so glad you got the comb out without too much damage.

I can remember having chewing gum in some ones hair at some point in time, it was such a long time ago, I cant remember if it was me or not. I phoned my aunt and she suggested freezing it, so we got some ice and stuff. We had to prize the hair of hair by hair and finally got down to about five or six hairs and then chopped the rest off.

embee
June 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Years ago there used to be curlers called "brush rollers" and they were very like round brushes without handles. I had troubles with these, and eventually tossed them! They were pure evil for long hair.

I'm so glad you got separated from the comb without a haircut. That's quite a tale. Wirecutters rock! :) So do Tinsnips.

Calaelen
June 10th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I am SO glad you got it out with little damage. I was worried for you.

The worst thing I've had stuck in my hair is like others have said the round brush. Those things are demon tools, I swear. My little sister was trying to help with my hair that time.

With that almost disaster of mine, I totally freaked out. I cried, I got angry, I'd give up, then refuse to give up. At one point I really melted down. BUT, eventually I got it out with conditioner, a tail comb, and about 3 hours worth of patience.

Cutting the comb was genius, by the way. Again, so glad you saved the hair.:cheese:

mellie89
June 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ahhhh! That sounds a lot like what happened to me a few years ago. My little cousin had a phase where she was obsessed with "styling" people's hair. She was about 5, and I volunteered to let her play with my hair. Well... I lost a few huge chunks of hair to her "styling" skills. She ripped a brush through my hair and then gave me the scariest looking ponytail I have ever seen. At the time, I didn't care. My hair was probably only about collar bone length. But looking back... shudder:

I'm glad you saved your hair! That's some serious perseverance.

serious
June 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, what a story!

And, I really like the First Aid Hair Kit idea!
Any idea, what else should we put in that kit? :D

GRU
June 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have gotten several things "stuck" in my hair, but usually not hair accessories. Particularly with my curls, I have to be quite cautious.

It's funny, whenever I hold someone's baby (and you know they always grab for long hair) I tell them, "No no, you don't want to do that. If you get stuck in there, we'll never get you out!".... and they leave my hair alone after that! No lie, even if they're just a couple months old and have no idea what I just said, it's like God is looking out for them and keeps them out of my hair!

The drawers on my kitchen cupboards have handles on them that have little ends that stick out, like these: http://www.simplyknobsandpulls.com/hickory-hardware/drawer-pulls/antique-brass/P134-AB/ . When I bend down to get something out of a bottom cupboard or pick something up off the floor, if I'm not careful when I straighten back up, my hair gets all caught up in and wrapped around the sticky-outy parts of the drawer pull. I usually have to have a family member come free me, because it's close enough to the scalp that I can't pull it around to see which hairs need to go which direction. If it ever happens when I'm alone in the house, I imagine I'll just sit down and take a nap until someone returns to rescue me.

Glad you were finally able to free yourself, YC! How funny that the first thing a *guy* did was go to his "manly tools"! LOL

pinkbunny
June 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well I hope you learned your lesson! :rant:

I've had gum stuck in my hair. It happened at school. The lunch ladies looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they had any peanut butter. Of course they didn't, so I just put my hair up in a sloppy braid and had to wait to go home and did it myself.

I get combs tangled in my hair too - not quite as badly as your ordeal, though. It mostly happens when I'm holding it too loosely (to avoid ripping or snagging) and I drop it so of course it has to do a crazy spiral dive and wrap into my hair just enough to give me a tantrum getting it out. lol

I hate it when my bracelets/necklaces/earrings get caught on my updos. Like when a tiny link is just open enough at the seam for a hair or two to slide through and drive me completely nuts trying to figure out which link it is and which way to spin it to loose the hair without ruining the do!

Alaia
June 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Wow! It's funny how not many (maybe myself included) people would think to cut the comb to get it out.

The only thing I have ever had stuck in my hair was gum. And I did manage to get that out (can't remember how, though).

halo_tightens
June 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
That would indeed have been a disaster!! I'm very glad you managed to disentangle yourself. :p

My experience... I had a run-in with one of those brush-type curling irons. It got tangled in my hair while I was using it, so it was fully heated and I had to work fast to keep from burning that section of hair to a crisp! I went for the tools too, lol. I unplugged the thing and poured cold water over it until it was cool enough not to continue burning my hair, then used a screwdriver to disassemble it. (Not easy with it still tangled in there!) Then I was able to detangle the pieces, one by one... straight into the trash can!

I really am glad you managed to rescue your hair! It's really lovely, if you don't mind my saying so. I'd be almost as disappointed as you if tragedy were to befall it! :grouphug:

dropinthebucket
June 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
LOL, nae! :)

Once my son got gum stuck in his hair - he was about 12 and already committed to having long hair. Now, my patented (ok, not patented, but definitely a family secret ;)) method of getting gum out would have made short work of the mess, but unfortunately, he was over at his dad's at the time. His dad grabbed a pair of scissors and CUT THE CHUNK OUT! eeekk! and not at the scalp, either. Poor kid had a two inch section of hair that stood almost straight up. Luckily, his hair grows fast and in a couple of months, the hair flattened down a lot.

yellowchariot
June 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm glad you could remove it! :D I wasn't this lucky when I was 4. I fell asleep with a chewing gum in my mouth. In the morning it was in my hair, close to my scalp. My waist-length hair had been cut to neck-length two weeks earlier, and we had to cut it to a very short, boyish style because of the chewing gum. :justy:I remember I was wailing while my mum was pulling me by my hand to the haidresser. :mad:

I'd say that could have been a life scaring experience, Loreley! It's good that you were very young, and had plenty of time to re-grow! I wonder why the hairdresser didn't try the icecube/peanut butter trick?!

Im so glad you got the comb out without too much damage.

I can remember having chewing gum in some ones hair at some point in time, it was such a long time ago, I cant remember if it was me or not. I phoned my aunt and she suggested freezing it, so we got some ice and stuff. We had to prize the hair of hair by hair and finally got down to about five or six hairs and then chopped the rest off.

Purdy Bear, it seems that the most common issue is gum in the hair. I rarely chew gum now. It's good that you only had to loose so few hairs.
Mine did come out in very very tiny knots though.

Years ago there used to be curlers called "brush rollers" and they were very like round brushes without handles. I had troubles with these, and eventually tossed them! They were pure evil for long hair.

I'm so glad you got separated from the comb without a haircut. That's quite a tale. Wirecutters rock! :) So do Tinsnips.

embee, at first I was going to use needle nose pliers, but the nose was so long, there was no way, it would go in-between the teeth of the comb! lol

I am SO glad you got it out with little damage. I was worried for you.

The worst thing I've had stuck in my hair is like others have said the round brush. Those things are demon tools, I swear. My little sister was trying to help with my hair that time.

With that almost disaster of mine, I totally freaked out. I cried, I got angry, I'd give up, then refuse to give up. At one point I really melted down. BUT, eventually I got it out with conditioner, a tail comb, and about 3 hours worth of patience.

Cutting the comb was genius, by the way. Again, so glad you saved the hair.:cheese:

Calaelen, it also took me around 3 hours and PATIENCE! Also, the help of my mom who was my extra set of eyes and hands! Never give up, and never loose your focus! ;)

Ahhhh! That sounds a lot like what happened to me a few years ago. My little cousin had a phase where she was obsessed with "styling" people's hair. She was about 5, and I volunteered to let her play with my hair. Well... I lost a few huge chunks of hair to her "styling" skills. She ripped a brush through my hair and then gave me the scariest looking ponytail I have ever seen. At the time, I didn't care. My hair was probably only about collar bone length. But looking back... shudder:

I'm glad you saved your hair! That's some serious perseverance.

mellie89, you have to watch those little cousins!!! I'm tell'n ya! Just because they are related to you, they think they can wreak havoc and it's totally fine haha! That sounds horrible, I'm surprised that she didn't draw blood out of your scalp!

Wow, what a story!

And, I really like the First Aid Hair Kit idea!
Any idea, what else should we put in that kit? :D

Yes serious! The F.A.H.K should contain:

Peanut Butter
ICE
Goo Gone (as trolleypup pointed out, for tree sap)
Band-Aids
Wire Cutters/Pliers
Screw Driver (phillips and flat head)
Rat Tail Comb
2 Nerve Pills
1 Anti-Depressant
3+ Hours of Time
Patience
Hope & Faith (shake and bake mix)
Hacksaw (for roll brushes)
Gorilla Glue (to glue chunks of hair back in, when finished)
Tri-fold Mirror
Inflatable Hairstylist

OMG, I'm onto something here, I could make money off of this kit! I could sell it in 3 stages.

Stage 1 F.A.H.K - includes the first 5 on the list
Stage 2 F.A.H.K - includes the first 10 on the list
Stage 3 F.A.H.K - includes all 16! LOL

I have gotten several things "stuck" in my hair, but usually not hair accessories. Particularly with my curls, I have to be quite cautious.

It's funny, whenever I hold someone's baby (and you know they always grab for long hair) I tell them, "No no, you don't want to do that. If you get stuck in there, we'll never get you out!".... and they leave my hair alone after that! No lie, even if they're just a couple months old and have no idea what I just said, it's like God is looking out for them and keeps them out of my hair!

The drawers on my kitchen cupboards have handles on them that have little ends that stick out, like these: http://www.simplyknobsandpulls.com/hickory-hardware/drawer-pulls/antique-brass/P134-AB/ . When I bend down to get something out of a bottom cupboard or pick something up off the floor, if I'm not careful when I straighten back up, my hair gets all caught up in and wrapped around the sticky-outy parts of the drawer pull. I usually have to have a family member come free me, because it's close enough to the scalp that I can't pull it around to see which hairs need to go which direction. If it ever happens when I'm alone in the house, I imagine I'll just sit down and take a nap until someone returns to rescue me.

Glad you were finally able to free yourself, YC! How funny that the first thing a *guy* did was go to his "manly tools"! LOL

GRU, I was ready to break out the circular saw on this ordeal!

Be careful on those cabinet handles! I think they are actually re-branded ancient 13th century tortures gadgets! hehe j/k!

Well I hope you learned your lesson! :rant:

I've had gum stuck in my hair. It happened at school. The lunch ladies looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they had any peanut butter. Of course they didn't, so I just put my hair up in a sloppy braid and had to wait to go home and did it myself.

I get combs tangled in my hair too - not quite as badly as your ordeal, though. It mostly happens when I'm holding it too loosely (to avoid ripping or snagging) and I drop it so of course it has to do a crazy spiral dive and wrap into my hair just enough to give me a tantrum getting it out. lol

I hate it when my bracelets/necklaces/earrings get caught on my updos. Like when a tiny link is just open enough at the seam for a hair or two to slide through and drive me completely nuts trying to figure out which link it is and which way to spin it to loose the hair without ruining the do!

pinkbunny, I have learned my lesson!
When I was swimming with them, I had my hair tightly braided. Then when we were done, I began to take the braid out. I heard that little voice in my head (the one that actually tells you the right thing to do) Say: "Don't take braid out!" LOL

Wow! It's funny how not many (maybe myself included) people would think to cut the comb to get it out.

The only thing I have ever had stuck in my hair was gum. And I did manage to get that out (can't remember how, though).

Alaia, after staying in the shower with half a bottle of conditioner, that was the first thing that popped into my head, CUT THE COMB!!! DESTROY IT, USE TNT, AND BURY IT, SO IT WILL NEVER ENTER INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S HAIR AGAIN! lol

little_cherry
June 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Wow...Yellowchariot! I'm so glad you got the comb out!! Your hair is just so lovely! ^_^

When I was 5, I crawled under the bed to get something and my hair got tangled around the springs of the bed! I was so scared because I was trapped- I couldn't see the tangle. Luckily my brother found me and untangled my hair for me!

Yes serious! The F.A.H.K should contain:

Peanut Butter
ICE
Goo Gone (as trolleypup pointed out, for tree sap)
Band-Aids
Wire Cutters/Pliers
Screw Driver (phillips and flat head)
Rat Tail Comb
2 Nerve Pills
1 Anti-Depressant
3+ Hours of Time
Patience
Hope & Faith (shake and bake mix)
Hacksaw (for roll brushes)
Gorilla Glue (to glue chunks of hair back in, when finished)
Tri-fold Mirror
Inflatable Hairstylist

OMG, I'm onto something here, I could make money off of this kit! I could sell it in 3 stages.

Stage 1 F.A.H.K - includes the first 5 on the list
Stage 2 F.A.H.K - includes the first 10 on the list
Stage 3 F.A.H.K - includes all 16! LOL

This is made of WIN!!! :D

jera
June 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Chariot, you've made my day. That was hilarious. :p I'm so glad you and your mom kept your calm and got the comb out without sacrificing your hair. Only at LHC would we even consider such things. :D
I once had a chandelier earring stuck in my hair on a windy day. Rather than rip my hair out, I walked around like a hunch back until I got to where I was going and could get it out with the aid of a mirror.

KahlanAmnell
June 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Glad to hear there was a happy ending there!

Cinnamon Hair
June 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Oh my! What an ordeal! Glad you were able to get it out without losing too much hair. Never had a comb get truly stuck in my hair. The worst thing has been dangly hairsticks. Or tags on clothes in a store fitting room. Neither was a major disaster.

TrudieCat
June 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
When I was 5, I crawled under the bed to get something and my hair got tangled around the springs of the bed! I was so scared because I was trapped- I couldn't see the tangle. Luckily my brother found me and untangled my hair for me!

Oh oh oh, reading this scaaaaaared me!! I am still, even as a so-called grown up, scared of under the bed! The thought of being trapped under there.... yikes, shudder!!

And major props to the OP for quick thinking and staying cool-headed in a potentially panic-inducing situation!

Igraine
June 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, YC! What a story, this truly shows commitment to long hair! Glad it turned out fine...

The worst thing to have gotten tangled in mine? Round brushes with nylon bristles and... hairstylists! :D None of either ever again ;)

yellowchariot
June 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Chariot, you've made my day. That was hilarious. :p I'm so glad you and your mom kept your calm and got the comb out without sacrificing your hair. Only at LHC would we even consider such things. :D
I once had a chandelier earring stuck in my hair on a windy day. Rather than rip my hair out, I walked around like a hunch back until I got to where I was going and could get it out with the aid of a mirror.

Jera, I'm glad I could make someone's day! It's always great to make somebody laugh!

Glad to hear there was a happy ending there!

KahlanAmnell, I'm glad it ended happy as well! haha

Oh my! What an ordeal! Glad you were able to get it out without losing too much hair. Never had a comb get truly stuck in my hair. The worst thing has been dangly hairsticks. Or tags on clothes in a store fitting room. Neither was a major disaster.

I'll have to stay away from sticks until I learn how to use them! hehe

Wow, YC! What a story, this truly shows commitment to long hair! Glad it turned out fine...

The worst thing to have gotten tangled in mine? Round brushes with nylon bristles and... hairstylists! :D None of either ever again ;)

^ HAHAHAH LOL@ hairstylists!
Good one Igraine! I've had a few in my hair before, they are tough to get out!

Fiferstone
June 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
What a thrilling tale of derring-do and I'm glad your close brush with hair disaster ended well in the end :cheer:

I've been lucky, never had gum stuck in my hair that I'm aware of. BUT... I did kill my roomie's blowfryer once (back in younger, stupider days). I'd borrowed it to dry my then waist-length hair and I was doing the "bend over from the waist and hang head upside down to add "volume" to the roots by blasting them with superheated air" trick :shudder:, and GINK! dryer's whirring noise came to a sudden and painful stop. there was a crack in the housing of the dryer, near the back where my roomie had dropped it one time (where the fan is) and sure enough about a 1/4 inch section of hair got sucked into it and wound securely around the fan.

We had to dismantle the dryer (after unplugging it of course), and I managed to unwind my hair from the shaft (luckily it hadn't gotten too involved with the fan itself), lost only a couple inches of length.

But I bought my roomie a new dryer because I had to dismantle hers (we couldn't re-mantle it afterward because we were both mechanically-challenged). She wasn't too bummed given that the old one had a big crack in it anyway.

And THAT was when I gave up on hairdriers mostly. Feburary something, 1983.

joiekimochi
June 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Thank goodness you saved your hair. I once had an old-school blow fryer without the filter on the back end and it sucked in a lot of my hair. There was no way to get my hair out because it was all singed and twisted around the fan. I had to cut about 4 inches out. The blow fryer smelled like burnt hair for a long time.

jackie75
June 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Wow! What a horrible experience, but I loved reading that story! Thank you for a much needed smile. I especially like "I'm not going to let something like this take away what the Lord has blessed me with. . . My hair is also a gift for the woman that God has for me." That brought tears to my eyes! :)
A couple of years ago, my daughter got her waist length hair caught in a vacuum. It was pretty scary at the time. I used olive oil to get out what I could, the rest, I snipped. Thank goodness you couldn't tell.

Charlotte
June 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'm so glad that it all worked out in the end and your hair was preserved! :)

My Amelia once caught a spiral brush in her hair - disaster!!! I couldn't get it out and the only solution I found at the time was to cut it out. I wish I had thought of cutting the bristles instead! :D :blossom:

BlueMuse
June 11th, 2010, 12:42 AM
The only thing I can really think of was the drive shaft of the vacuum while I was trying to evict dust bunnies from under the refrigerator. Apparently my hose extension isn't air tight. I didn't have a choice in the matter, because the sheer force of having my head yanked up against a running machine broke off about 6 inches of hair in a nice chunk. My braid sections are still a little uneven, but it isn't horribly noticeable. It just hurt quite a bit. It's a bit startling to go from being on your knees to on your back fumbling for the vacuum off button.

yellowchariot
June 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
What a thrilling tale of derring-do and I'm glad your close brush with hair disaster ended well in the end :cheer:

I've been lucky, never had gum stuck in my hair that I'm aware of. BUT... I did kill my roomie's blowfryer once (back in younger, stupider days). I'd borrowed it to dry my then waist-length hair and I was doing the "bend over from the waist and hang head upside down to add "volume" to the roots by blasting them with superheated air" trick :shudder:, and GINK! dryer's whirring noise came to a sudden and painful stop. there was a crack in the housing of the dryer, near the back where my roomie had dropped it one time (where the fan is) and sure enough about a 1/4 inch section of hair got sucked into it and wound securely around the fan.

We had to dismantle the dryer (after unplugging it of course), and I managed to unwind my hair from the shaft (luckily it hadn't gotten too involved with the fan itself), lost only a couple inches of length.

But I bought my roomie a new dryer because I had to dismantle hers (we couldn't re-mantle it afterward because we were both mechanically-challenged). She wasn't too bummed given that the old one had a big crack in it anyway.

And THAT was when I gave up on hairdriers mostly. Feburary something, 1983.

^ What a story! It's truly something to think about once your hair reaches a certain length, just how easy it is to get it caught in just about anything!

Thank goodness you saved your hair. I once had an old-school blow fryer without the filter on the back end and it sucked in a lot of my hair. There was no way to get my hair out because it was all singed and twisted around the fan. I had to cut about 4 inches out. The blow fryer smelled like burnt hair for a long time.

I have my hair sucked into the filter part of a blowdryer, but luckily I turned it off and my hair just came out freely.

Wow! What a horrible experience, but I loved reading that story! Thank you for a much needed smile. I especially like "I'm not going to let something like this take away what the Lord has blessed me with. . . My hair is also a gift for the woman that God has for me." That brought tears to my eyes! :)
A couple of years ago, my daughter got her waist length hair caught in a vacuum. It was pretty scary at the time. I used olive oil to get out what I could, the rest, I snipped. Thank goodness you couldn't tell.

jackie75, that's truly how I felt. I wasn't going to let something as bad as that incident take away from my achievement! Glad I could make you smile!

I'm so glad that it all worked out in the end and your hair was preserved! :)

My Amelia once caught a spiral brush in her hair - disaster!!! I couldn't get it out and the only solution I found at the time was to cut it out. I wish I had thought of cutting the bristles instead! :D :blossom:

Honestly Charlotte, had that idea not "popped" into my head, I probably wouldn't have long hair right now. I've slowly learned to re-think situations. If there is a road block, get out of your vehicle and walk over it ;) (or you could just take a chainsaw with you hehe)

The only thing I can really think of was the drive shaft of the vacuum while I was trying to evict dust bunnies from under the refrigerator. Apparently my hose extension isn't air tight. I didn't have a choice in the matter, because the sheer force of having my head yanked up against a running machine broke off about 6 inches of hair in a nice chunk. My braid sections are still a little uneven, but it isn't horribly noticeable. It just hurt quite a bit. It's a bit startling to go from being on your knees to on your back fumbling for the vacuum off button.

BlueMuse, that is another example of how your hair can get caught in the most unusual places! 6 inches is a lot! It's good that it isn't noticeable, however I could relate to the shock of loosing that much length in an instant! :(

Pallas
June 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Holy crap, yellow. I'm holding my seat here SO DAMN TIGHT DX

Aaargh I'm soooooo happy for you it worked out. Patience truly does pay off 8D

Hahahah while reading the whole thing I pictured myself clamping your arm with wide eyes as if my soul was being sucked out XDDDD

and your question... I think I've gotten a LOT of things stuck in my hair, but I don;t remember one particular case. Except bubblegum. I few times. NEAR THE ROOTS. And really, nicely rubbed in XD I got it out in the shower with peanutbutter. It helps!

P.S. I knew that wouldn't be the last I'd see of RatComb :p

yellowchariot
June 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Holy crap, yellow. I'm holding my seat here SO DAMN TIGHT DX

Aaargh I'm soooooo happy for you it worked out. Patience truly does pay off 8D

Hahahah while reading the whole thing I pictured myself clamping your arm with wide eyes as if my soul was being sucked out XDDDD

and your question... I think I've gotten a LOT of things stuck in my hair, but I don;t remember one particular case. Except bubblegum. I few times. NEAR THE ROOTS. And really, nicely rubbed in XD I got it out in the shower with peanutbutter. It helps!

P.S. I knew that wouldn't be the last I'd see of RatComb :p

Chaja-girl, I really hope I avoid the gum! So far I've been fortunate!

LOL I know, I know, the whole irony of the ordeal was the rat-tail'd-tooth'd comb that saved my hair! Eventhough I through it out in my video LOL! (for those of you who do not know what I'm talking about, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPPVRcxnmM ) :p

PF Graham
June 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM

The real trick for gum is peanut butter. Peanut butter dissolves gum. No idea why but it works.

I have three boys that have gone through stages of long hair and ALL have, at one time or another, gotten gum in their hair. Mostly from falling asleep while chewing it - and we all know how that story happens.

Not once was I forced to cut, cut, cut.

jessie58
June 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
That was a hilarious story,well told too, although I'm sure it wasn't funny to you at all. Glad it turned out well though.

I used to be a Brownie leader and once during a weekend camp one of the Brownies, probably aged 9, had a similar incident. She had a round brush twisted up at the back of her head, at the crown. She would not let anybody try to get out because it hurt too much so she wore the brush in her hair for the rest of the weekend until she could go home and let her mother get it out. She was very good natured about it and we all had a good laugh.

jessie58
June 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
The real trick for gum is peanut butter. Peanut butter dissolves gum. No idea why but it works.

I have three boys that have gone through stages of long hair and ALL have, at one time or another, gotten gum in their hair. Mostly from falling asleep while chewing it - and we all know how that story happens.

Not once was I forced to cut, cut, cut.

Peanut butter has saved many a head of hair around my house. I have 3 girls and between them and their little friends, we have used peanut butter for gum removal every time. I've had mothers tell me how they have had to cut their children's hair before to get gum out. Yikes, I forget who taught me that but I'm grateful.

Themyst
June 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Oh my goodness, I used to get those horrible nylon round brushes all tangled up in my hair - :justy:

sibiryachka
June 12th, 2010, 09:41 AM
It's very validating to see how many others have struggled with those round brushes! All this time I thought it was just me being a doofus...

Themyst
June 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
It's very validating to see how many others have struggled with those round brushes! All this time I thought it was just me being a doofus...

I'm thinking that they were made for 'bob' people!

EdG
June 12th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I just now read this thread. That was a close call! I'm glad it turned out okay. :)
Ed

pinkbunny
June 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM

I think it's the oil in the peanut butter that makes gum un-sticky?

YC - I didn't have time to finish my last post (I procastinated getting ready for work!) I also wanted to add a comment about something you said. Growing your hair as a "gift" for your future wife is a very romantic gesture, but I truly hope you find someone who appreciates who you are regardless of what your hair looks like. Take it from me, a longhair, who notoriously preferred to date longhairs, and yet fell in love with & married a man who is balding. Sure, I'd like it if he had long, flowing hair, but it wouldn't change who he is. I'm sure you'll make some lucky lady very happy someday... ;)

Gypsygirl
June 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm late, but I wanted to tell you that I'm glad you and your mane are OK! Yikes!

Sammich
June 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Wow! Poor you, I'm glad you got it out. :(
*Hugs to your way!* :flower:
I've never been in that situation, so I cannot imagine the horrific feeling.

zeldagirl7491
June 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Goodness gracious I'm glad you got it out.
To answer your question, I did get something stuck in my hair one time.
A few years ago I was at my cousins house and we were playing with our hair. He left the room for a minute and while he was gone I picked up one of those styling brushes (the circle ones with the bristles all around it) and rolled my hair up in it. Well it got stuck. REALLY stuck. My cousing came back and laughed at me. Then I laughed at me.
But it was so stuck that I had to cut the part of my hair that was in the brush. It looked good though because the part I cut was in the front so it looked like a long bang or a layer thing.

Now it's grown back to where it was though and I learned my lesson about rolling long hair in circle things. :eek:

Cirafly24
June 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I've never gotten anything horribly tangled in my own hair, but when I was little I got a round brush stuck in my mom's hair. It was a pretty skinny one, and I rolled it all the way up to her scalp, thinking I was "curling" it. I don't think she had to cut it, but it took a loooong time to untangle, and I was crying because I felt so guilty. I must have been about 5.

Pallas
June 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Whe I was about 10-11 I was playing with a ball with my dad or something. I was laughing and running, which made my then long braid swing up - and get stuck in my braces.

I had a mess of tightly braided hair stuck to my teeth XD The braces were quite sharp and I couldn't really move to detangle it without the braces snatching other parts of my braid :rolleyes: