PDA

View Full Version : Long hair. Why we love it.

jera
June 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I just wanted to enumerate some of the many reasons why I love long hair.

I love the texture of it. The way long hair changes in texture from crown to hemline. It feels so nice. :)

I love the way it shines in rippling cascades down past the waist, or longer. :D

With BF, I love running my fingers through it.

I also love it when he combs my hair. It's so relaxing. :cloud9:

It looks awesome on cheerleaders. :cheer:

And, I love the feel of long hair against bare skin. It's beach time and in a bikini, my hair brushes my tailbone. The feeling of that sends my spirits soaring. I've waited so long to reach tailbone and now I'm there. :bowtome:

There are lots more reasons too, but some of them might be TMI for LHC. :eyebrows:

So what are your reaons for loving long hair.

HintOfMint
June 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I completely understand the joy of having long hair on bare skin. It is a very sensual feeling, and it is one of my reasons why I love having long hair (*I think I just hit waist!*)

Another reason of mine is the *wow* factor. Long hair past waist isn't very common.

Islandgrrl
June 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I love it because it signifies patience. An instant gratification type person can't grow long hair.

I love it because it's a visible symbol (to me, at the very least) of my nonconformity.

I love the way it feels as it cascades down my back.

I love it because it makes me feel like me.

spidermom
June 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I love to feel it go spilling down over my skin when I take it out of the top-of-head sleep braid in the mornings. I love how in a dark room it will catch whatever light is available and sort of glow like fiberoptics.

Sarahmoon
June 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Because we can! :D

Or, speaking for myself, I can. I don't worry anymore about what "friends" are saying, or about what other people say about it not being trendy or making you look too old/too young etc.! I show the world I wear my hair however I please.

And yes I just like how it looks, how it feels and that I don't have to wear the same style every day.

emmabovary
June 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I love how sensual it feels against my skin, how special it makes me feel and how beautiful it looks.

Alaia
June 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I, too, love the feel against my bare skin. I love reaching up and touching whatever style I'm wearing, knowing that it's hiding more hair than people think.

redneckprincess
June 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I dont know Ive never had long hair unless you count the extentions or wigs, and with that I just liked being able to feel the hair down my back and arms

Siava
June 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I also like the brushing-against-skin feeling, the way it dances around in a soft breeze, how it looks in shadows, the "wow" factor, as well, the way I can pick up the ends and smell them, the way it gets caught in my armpits, and how it nearly drowns me in the pool.

luckyduck
June 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I don't know exactly why I like it, for the last 30 years I keep going back to it! I think it makes me feel more like a woman, than my short styles did. Plus it is so much easier to take care of and style!

Gypsygirl
June 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Copy and paste from my "about me":

I love having long hair...it is more than just a physical part of you. I think it is a reflection of you and your creative side. I love the femininity of it, the mystery of being able to hide behind it, the different ways to change your whole identity by changing your hair for the day. And feeling the wind blow through your hair or having it adorned by snowflakes or rain really helps you become one with nature. :)

Purdy Bear
June 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I love its versatility, and its ease of care. Iv had short hair in the past, and it took longer then when I had long hair.

I love its warmth and texture.

I just love to touch hair.

I love the way different cultures and historical times have used hair updos and styles to communicate with others.

I love the multitude of colours you can get in one colour - like thousands of shades of brown, black and red that used to be in my hair.

Loreley
June 10th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I love it because it's unique, I love the way it's moving in the wind. :D

sibiryachka
June 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I love the way it feels when I take it down from an updo - there's something so feminine and sensual about that gesture, and it makes my scalp tingle.
Now that the ends are silky, I love to just comb it for no reason, because the comb glides through so easily, and it feels good to my fingers.
My long hair feels to me like an outward reflection of something important about my inner self - archetypal femininity, wanting to do things the old-fashioned way as much as possible... I'm not sure exactly what it is, or even that it's just one thing! It's just who I am.
Learning to nurture it more effectively is a very powerful way of nurturing myself; in encouraging and helping it to grow to its fullest potential I feel like I'm doing the same for my whole self.

princessp
June 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I love it because it signifies patience. An instant gratification type person can't grow long hair.

I love it because it's a visible symbol (to me, at the very least) of my nonconformity.

I never thought of the patience thing, but you're right! I love that.

Sammich
June 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
The way it feels when it flows down my back. Wow. :D And how it makes me feel beautiful when I have it in front of my shoulders all long. ^_^

May
June 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Long hair is easier to style than short hair (for me anyway) because my hair is very wurly and random...my hair type was meant for length. It's amazing when it's long and very troublesome and wild when it's shorter (abover BSL).

Long hair makes me feel secure.

Long hair makes me calm...I'm not sure why though.

Medievalmaniac
June 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM
It makes me feel like a woman, both vulnerable and powerful, both invincible and fragile, both strong and sensual. I am definitely wearing less clothes than I used to, because now it spills down my back and against the backs of my arms and I LOVE the way it feels!! :)

Medievalmaniac
June 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
oh - oh, and did we mention the cute and beautiful hairtoys?!?!?!?!:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eye brows::eyebrows:

BunnyBee
June 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure entirely. I just know that I want something beautiful.
I want something about me to be beautiful.

JenniferNoel
June 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I love long hair because it is versatile and beautiful.

meph
June 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I also love the way it feels on my skin, even the times when I leap from my chair because I think there's a spider on my arm, only to find out it was my hair. I love how you can look a little more unique because there aren't a lot of people with long hair and because you can style your hair different every day. I love playing around with updos when I'm bored, I love how it makes the smell of coconut linger after I oiled it, how low maintenance it is, how it provides for a little confidence boost on days that you need it the most.

ButterCup02
June 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Tailbone is my eventual goal....I can't wait!!

I just love long hair....to me it just = unique in our society, beauty, feminine, etc...whenever I spot a "long hair" in public I stop and stare LOL I love the feel of it on my back, to run my fingers through it....when I wear it down I'm always checking it out when I pass a mirror. I feel so vain saying that! LOL!

katha
June 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
It makes me feel pretty when I wear it down.

The way long hair reacts to surroundings like wind etc. is awesome. :)

jera
June 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I just like how it looks, how it feels and that I don't have to wear the same style every day.

I like that too. The versitility. We longhairs have so many options. :)

I love the way it feels when I take it down from an updo - there's something so feminine and sensual about that gesture, and it makes my scalp tingle.
Now that the ends are silky, I love to just comb it for no reason, because the comb glides through so easily, and it feels good to my fingers.
My long hair feels to me like an outward reflection of something important about my inner self - archetypal femininity, wanting to do things the old-fashioned way as much as possible... I'm not sure exactly what it is, or even that it's just one thing! It's just who I am.
Learning to nurture it more effectively is a very powerful way of nurturing myself; in encouraging and helping it to grow to its fullest potential I feel like I'm doing the same for my whole self.

That's a beautiful philosophy. :)

I too enjoy the feeling of taking it down from an updo and just swooshing it around. It makes me feel so feminine. ;)

It makes me feel like a woman, both vulnerable and powerful, both invincible and fragile, both strong and sensual. I am definitely wearing less clothes than I used to, because now it spills down my back and against the backs of my arms and I LOVE the way it feels!! :)

Yeah, the tactile stimulation is just awesome. Whoever says short hair is sexier than long hair has obviously never had long hair. :D

I also like the way you can tie yourself to another longhair using just your hair ! :p No one mentioned hair games but those are definitely fun !!

kmoc123
June 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I love it because anybody can have short hair...just cut it! I love how it feels on my thigh, and down my back, I love brushing it and "loving" it...

Fiferstone
June 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I've always loved the look of it on others as well as on me.

I love being able to do different things every day, or just bagging it and putting it up in the same updo/braid for a couple of days if I feel like it. I'm not "locked" into looking the same.every.day.
I too love how it feels against my back. I'm starting to get that "top of the butt tickle" -- almost at tailbone...soon I hope.
I love how it looks in the light, especially now that it's henna'd.
I love peering out at the world from behind it when it's down ;)
and I know I'll still love it when it's badger hair (top half grey/silver, bottom half what's left of the color from my younger years)
I just love it.

pineconejg
June 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I like the versatility, and the feeling of it on my back (as I remember...)

What I really like is that it looks prettier and shinier WITHOUT product. Unlike my short hair, which would lay flat and heavy without product and a blowfryer.

Katurday
June 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I love the warm cloak it pours over my back.

going gray
June 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Long hair simply makes me feel better about myself. It's who I am. Also I enjoy not following the crowd with some trendy suitable hairstyle, especially at my age.

Nera
June 10th, 2010, 11:26 PM
It's like a promise ring with yourself, but then really long and visible. That is my favorite aspect of it.

BlueMuse
June 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I love that it's a hair style that doesn't make my face look fat, and that can be changed daily. I love it for the potential to put things in it (I love making as well as buying hair sticks, combs, clips, and other pretties). I love it because it's fun to see people's reaction to how long it really is. I love it because it's brown in the darkness and red in the sunlight.

jera
June 11th, 2010, 01:03 AM
It's like a promise ring with yourself, but then really long and visible. That is my favorite aspect of it.

That's beautiful :)

I love that it's a hair style that doesn't make my face look fat, and that can be changed daily. I love it for the potential to put things in it (I love making as well as buying hair sticks, combs, clips, and other pretties). I love it because it's fun to see people's reaction to how long it really is. I love it because it's brown in the darkness and red in the sunlight.

Ah, yes, the hair toys. Short haired people can't wear hair forks now can they? :D

young&reckless
June 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I love thats its another limb. Just as expressive as an arm or leg when I want it to be.

HappyHair87
June 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I love long hair because it makes me feel like the Alpha Female or something when its blowing in the wind.

It gives an exotic twist to being a Black woman.

I LOVE how it feels on my bare skin and how it feels in the shower on my back...especially when i'm co-washing...and how the scent of the conditioner lingers in it.

I also like how it kinda shrinks...or when i put curls in it it looks alot shorter than it really is.

Astarte_1980
October 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I will look less heavy

Chamomile betty
October 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I love the ease of styling that comes with having long hair.

I love having a hair care routine. It's something to pamper myself and helps with destressing.

I love updos! As my hair is getting longer I find myself wearing more buns and wanting to learn more hairstyles.

DTsgirl
October 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
This is kind of silly, but I love how low-maintenance it is. And, the "Wow, your hair is LONG!" comment gives me the warm fuzzies (I'm a cheap date, lol)! :o

LouLaLa
October 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I love it because it reminds me of being a teenager and having super long hair and all the good times I had- eg freedom, hopes dreams, being silly ;) It signifies a time when I didnt have a care in the world.

I also love the colour, I love having natural bolnde hair as its rare where I live as most people break off due to over processing it.

Also I think its just my look, whenever Ive changed it people have sad it isnt "me". So im just going to rock it.

ddiana1979
October 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I love Gothic novels, and long hair feels very old fashioned & beautiful to me, especially in updos.

I like the subtle non-conformity of it. It's rare to see a woman with really long hair today.

I'm rather shy around strangers, so I like that I can kind of "hide" behind it if I feel nervous.

This one may sound rather silly, but I'm cheap & don't like going to the salon every 6-8 weeks. ;)

triumphator!
October 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I don't even really have long hair, but I love it because it's mine, and I decided to grow it. Anyone can cut their hair.

I can't wait to hide how long it really is and then surprise people! I think taking your hair down is a very intimate gesture. When it's up, it's business.

Qwackie
October 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
How much you can do with it, you can't put choppily layered shaggy short hair into an updo, can you?

Gem
October 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I like that I can trim my own hair and it still looks good. I tried that a couple times with short hair, and it was a disaster.
I can either take my time and do a complicated style, or put it up in two seconds. If I had a bad hair day, the only thing I could do with short hair was put a hat over it.
Basically, long hair fits with my personality and habits, and short hair doesn't.

Smile4Kiki
October 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
The longer it gets the more feminine I feel. I love being able to pick it up if its in my way after over 2 1/2 years of not being able to. Though its not long yet, I love the idea of having made a commitment that involves no one else but me ;)

queenofhair
October 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I love it because it's different, because it's beautiful, and because it's my own. I love it because people stop me on the street and tell me they love it too.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'd love to have long hair again because it's feminine, alluring, sensuous, mysterious, natural, not to mention the romantic embodiment of womanhood. it's an allembracing, love-myself-in-my-natural-beauty, glory and modesty, pre-Raphaelite concept of the woman. love it in other words. everything about long hair, not to mention it distinguishes me from other women.

PiroskaCicu
October 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I love it because it makes me feel like a Goddess.

HereIGrowAgain
October 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I love it because I have a hard time showing my real emotions, but everyone I knew could always tell I loved my hair. So, when I couldn't express my pain, and buzzed my head to do it instead, my friends understood, and surprisingly, so did others around me (acquaintances).

I love the feel down my back.

I love talking to other women about updos, and shocking them by dropping my updo that they thought was so complicated, and then tying it back up in front of them, with no mirror, in moments.

I love it that the compliments that other longhairs give mean so much more.

It felt sexy.

Starblanket
October 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I love combing my hair with my hands and feeling how soft it is.

I also love the feeling when the wind blows though and lifts my hair. It sounds silly, but when this happens I feel more appreciative of being alive and able to feel these sensations.

enfys
October 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I love how in a dark room it will catch whatever light is available and sort of glow like fiberoptics.

I love that description! I know exactly what you mean. :D

I love my long hair because I can still forget how soft it is as enjoy stroking it. I love the feel of it on my skin; at the moment my braid is at a just-bumping-the-small-of-my-back length and I love that!
I love seeing the progress in it.
I love that people remember me for it, and ask about it.
I love my DH stroking or brushing it for me, and him telling me I look like a 60s hippie with it loose and he likes that.
I love my massive buns!

I must be having a good hair day to say "love" so many times in a post.:cheese:

Alexannee10
October 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I loooove to feel my hair down my back :)

I can do so many differrent updo.

I think it's easier to style every morning than when I had short hair.

Khiwanean
October 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Long hair is so versatile! The updo possibilities are endless.

I love the way it brushes against my back and my elbows.

It gives me something to do when I'm bored, whether it be detangling, braiding, S&Ding or something else.

I feel like myself with long hair. It's part of my sense of self. I have wanted long hair for as long as I can remember and that's never really changed.

EverydayMiracle
October 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I love the fact that it gives me stylistic flexibility. I can do virtually anything with my hair that I want to do, and usually get good results. There are some styles that require my hair to get longer, or to be thinner than it is naturally, but that's not the point :P

Komao
July 21st, 2013, 06:13 PM
I just love reading why others love long hair. It's like poetry to my ears. I've just been reading about the history of long hair and then I came across this thread. Can't wait to read all of your posts. I will post my feelings on subject as soon as I can.

Komao
July 21st, 2013, 06:18 PM

I love how you have expressed your feelings on your long hair. I share your sentiments.

Komao
July 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Copy and paste from my "about me":

I love having long hair...it is more than just a physical part of you. I think it is a reflection of you and your creative side. I love the femininity of it, the mystery of being able to hide behind it, the different ways to change your whole identity by changing your hair for the day. And feeling the wind blow through your hair or having it adorned by snowflakes or rain really helps you become one with nature. :)

Beautifully written and I have felt all the wonders of long hair that you have expressed.

naopll10
July 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
I'm new here :D I love my classic length hair when it flows behind me when I run, and when it blows in the wind:)

stargazer616
July 21st, 2013, 08:52 PM
It keeps me warm :) When it's down, anyway. It also feels nice especially after being deep conditioned or something that makes it soft. I also like how it's sort of different- there aren't many girls my age with super long hair. And even the ones that do don't usually wear it in the same kind of styles I do.

Abrakarabbit
July 21st, 2013, 11:29 PM
I just guess I am a hair******ist.. i love my husbands hair. he has amazing, thick hair down below tail bone. And the most handsome beard to boot! Its a way for me to recognize people as well, if they change their hairdo I have problems spotting them at a distance. I love playing with it, mine and others. I think it defines us as who we are. I also believe it contains some power, think Vril society, Ancient china, Native Americans and Samson! And besides that, I love the silky feeling down my back! Only bra strap length so far, but the longest I've been able to have it in my life! My mom forced me to cut it really short all my childhood, so It plays a part with me wanting it long also. I used to cry at the hairdresser. Now I'm happy trimming for myself, and also got the joy of helping my fellow long haired maidens getting their trims! Happy growing y'all!

CurlMonster
July 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM
Like others, I love the feeling of it brushing against the skin on my back and arms. I also like the 'wow' factor it gives; I can spend just 2 minutes in the morning French braiding it and still people will be impressed by it. :o That same quick French braid also keeps it out of my way and out of my mind all day, unlike when I had shorter hair and it was always in my face!

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2013, 08:05 AM
I love the shine and beauty it has.

silvertongue
July 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
My long hair represents the wisdom I've gained in the past few years. I couldn't imagine cutting off my hair without cutting off my wisdom.

I also like that it displays my good health. I feel powerful with long hair.

I don't view long hair as being particularly feminine.

H.e.L
July 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
It represents beauty, resilience, and serenity to me. It's been a lifelong dream of mine (barring one or two fleeting bouts of scissor-happy insanity.) When I achieve waist length, I will feel truly lovely.

goldenlady
July 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
It frames my face and makes me look my age... Short hair makes me appear about 12 - Never a good look for a teacher in training!

bubastis
July 22nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
I love the way it feels against my back,the way it blows in the wind,how it feels after a deep conditioning...oh,and I love the way the henna and elumen have made it shine and that it looks like liquid fire in direct sunlight!

Glass Spires
July 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Like so many other people, I love the way it feels against my body--how it brushes my arms when it's down, how it feels swinging against my back. I also love brushing and petting it, running my fingers against one particular strand that's always softer than the rest. I've loved long hair for my whole life, and having found this site, I'm really excited to see how it will grow. I want classic at least!

SongofLove
July 22nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
I love long hair because when I am fixing my hair it makes me feel like a woman from a beautiful Renaissance painting :)

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/pinacotheca/titian/titian06a.jpg
(Titian, Venus Anadyomene, c.1520–25 , http://www.judgmentofparis.com/pinacotheca/titian.htm)

Tini'sNewHair
July 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
It makes me feel complete

Not plain and boring (speaking for myself only)

It gives me character

Makes me confident

Makes me feel beautiful and feminine

Love the way it feels down my back

It frames my face a lot better and makes me look young

I love the colour and texture of my hair

Cant wait to have it much much much longer than I do now :)

chen bao jun
July 22nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
More versatile. With short hair, I feel stuck, always wearing the same style.
In my case, since I'm a curly, if I have short hair, I just have short hair, but if I have long hair, it can look either long or short, depending on how much I decide to stretch it. So I get the best of both worlds.
And long hair is easier to decorate with barrette, clips, pins and things that I love.

arjay.d
July 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
I also like the way it feels. However, I also like the femininity that it represents, the softness, and the ability to do so many braids and buns. Also, as an education major, I always thought of buns as the "teacher" look. I do, however, have a softer set of styles so that the "teacher look" isn't so severe. Also, I like to pull on my hair (gentle pressure type), and it's harder to get the pressure even if it's short (I would think.)