PDA

View Full Version : guilty pleasures?

kristymarie87
June 9th, 2010, 07:18 AM
A thread for those who straighten/use sulphates/cones and just cant help do do things to their hair that are considered bad for it and a place to discuss tips and how to handle hair when you are damaging it so often!

Please delete if this has already been done i just thought it a good idea!

Please add appropriate questions too if you want!!

>I straighten my hair maybe 4-5 times per week. Sometimes i blowdry sometimes i dont and i wait until the morning to straighten.
>I use shampoo and conditioner not really taking much notice of the ingredients as i saw no difference when i stopped using them. If anything my hair felt better when i did use them!

Please share any tips for straightening etc too, i would love to know all the secrets!

jane53
June 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
My guilty pleasure is trims.

My hair grows very fast. It's hip length now and if I got it cut to waist length, it would be back to hip length in 2-3 months at the very most. I have at least an inch or two cut off every 8-12 weeks. It swings better when I wear it down, it has a thick hemline, the ends are very strong and healthy, and I have almost no splits.

The only thing the frequent trims do that I don't like is that blunt ends are harder to tuck into updos and get them to stay there. Thin ends just kind of melt in.

But my view is why bother to keep my hair long if I never wear it down? So the swinging down-time and half-updos with swinging, even long locks make the trims worth it.

Also, the way my hair grows, it would soon get to tailbone and on to classic if I didn't trim it, and in my professional situation, that would require me to wear it up all the time. I like having it hip length so I can sort of dramatically wear it half down or in a long ponytail without it being too much of a good thing in my professional life.

Jessclewlow
June 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM
mine has got to be either dying it or straigtening it! my hair is a very boring shade of dark blonde naturally and i dye it black so when my roots come through im like ARGH! and run to the shops lol. ( i know i know... slap wrist) and i hate my hair unless its straightened too

kristymarie87
June 9th, 2010, 07:39 AM
i know how you feel, i used to have trims every 4 weeks, i just couldnt help it! And then i'd end up cutting it short because i was bored or it was in the awkward messy stage!

Im at 2 monthly trims right now and hoping to stretch!

kristymarie87
June 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Yes i also dye alot!

I get bored and strip it, dye it red.....get bored of roots, dye it brown...get bored lol its a nightmare!

halo_tightens
June 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I stopped doing most of those things, but I still use sulphates. I don't consider them a "guilty pleasure" at all, though, because my hair (and especially scalp) do much better with them than without. I'm definitely worse off without them, so I think of it as simply doing what works best for my hair. It doesn't seem to cause any damage to my hair, and my scalp rebels if I don't wash it with sulphates.

The sulphate 'poos rarely go throughout my length, though. I hit the scalp every four or five days, and the length maybe every two weeks or so. I wouldn't want to make it a daily thing! :)

Clarisse
June 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
>So who here cant help but straighten their hair most days?
I never ever straighten my hair.

>Who still uses cones and sulphates?
I do! I use sulphates all the time, because I can't get the grease out of my hair without them, but I prefer not to use cones, at the very least not on my roots. They make my hair too slippery. Sometimes they are good for my ends, though.

>How do you manage your hair?
I guess I don't really manage it. If it's completely unmanageable, I'll bun or pony it.

>Is it super damaged because of the above?
No, sulphates doesn't damage my hair, but too frequent brushing with plastic brushes, combing with combs with raw edges and too few trims takes its toll on my hair

>Do you get trims regularly?
I try to get into a routine trimming my hair every 3 - 4 months.

>How is your growth rate?
I don't know, I don't measure it, but I think it's average - it seems average to me at least. A little slower than the growth rate of some LHC'ers.

Jessclewlow
June 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Yes i also dye alot!

I get bored and strip it, dye it red.....get bored of roots, dye it brown...get bored lol its a nightmare!

haha... are we related! you sound soooooooo like me!
i had mine red for ages... every towel in my house was pink untill i got so miffed i went black! as much as i regrett it my natural is blonde so it shows so bad with my roots and i look grey :/

kristymarie87
June 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Jessclewlow my roots are a ashy dirty brown....really dull! I seem to promise myself i wont ever do it red/blonde/black again but i get bored or i see some cool hair and once i get it in my head i want to dye it theres just no stopping me! Most of my towels are dyed too!

Clarisse
(I do! I use sulphates all the time, because I can't get the grease out of my hair without them)
Yes i agree, my hair is super greasy! I couldnt get on with CO washing either but might try CWC :D

Jessclewlow
June 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Jessclewlow my roots are a ashy dirty brown....really dull! I seem to promise myself i wont ever do it red/blonde/black again but i get bored or i see some cool hair and once i get it in my head i want to dye it theres just no stopping me! Most of my towels are dyed too!

Clarisse
(I do! I use sulphates all the time, because I can't get the grease out of my hair without them)
Yes i agree, my hair is super greasy! I couldnt get on with CO washing either but might try CWC :D

yup... seems you definatly have my hair and my personality too! :D looking by your picture your haircut aint too far off either!!! lol STALKER!!!! *runs for cover** ;)

kristymarie87
June 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
LOL you found me out!! *hides*

Ergh my haircut......damn layers wont go! My hair would be so much more easier to manage without these layers, and so much thicker!

Jessclewlow
June 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
LOL you found me out!! *hides*

Ergh my haircut......damn layers wont go! My hair would be so much more easier to manage without these layers, and so much thicker!

here here! damn hairdresser! i went in and asced for a micro trim and she said 'oh no it needs much more and lopped about 4 inches off it diagonally which gave me layers. i was nearly crying in the shop and got it for free! was mortified! needless to say im NEVER going to a hairdresser again anytime soon

Masara
June 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I don't really think of it as a guilty pleasure but I wash daily with sulphate shampoo. I've tried other things and leaving my hair longer between washes but I like my hair better like this. I don't think it's particularly "worse" for my hair. And anyway I don't see any point in taking time and effort to grow hair long if I don't like the result.

I also use a hair dryer every day to get my fringe and roots dryish. I understand and accept that by doing this my hair may not get to super long, but at the moment I'm 2 inches off tailbone and I'm happy with my length if it doesn't get any longer.

Jessclewlow
June 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I don't really think of it as a guilty pleasure but I wash daily with sulphate shampoo. I've tried other things and leaving my hair longer between washes but I like my hair better like this. I don't think it's particularly "worse" for my hair. And anyway I don't see any point in taking time and effort to grow hair long if I don't like the result.

I also use a hair dryer every day to get my fringe and roots dryish. I understand and accept that by doing this my hair may not get to super long, but at the moment I'm 2 inches off tailbone and I'm happy with my length if it doesn't get any longer.

!!! i just saw your hair album photos! WOW!!!

Medievalmaniac
June 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
My guilty pleasure is dye. I've got it down to once every 3-4 or even 4-5 months, but I love red hair too much to let it go, and although I have been dying (no pun intended) to henna, so far I have been too chicken because I love the red, but on me it needs to be just this shade, and henna is a bit unpredictable. I may take the plunge with a gloss first to test the waters. Otherwise, I do really well- trims once or twice a year, VO5 shampoo and conditioner once a week, oiling, putting it up, no heat, no styling product. But I can't let go of the red hair! lol

BrightEyes
June 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I've been silently hoping for a thread like this to pop up, but too chicken to start it myself!:D

For the past 5 months I have tried SO hard to give up my blow drier and flat iron. So I'd let my hair air dry (with products to help encourage my weird straightish wave), then I would stay inside all day because I felt so ugly!:o My hair just doesn't look good when I let it dry on its own. It's fine, so when it is dry I have mega flat head. And I never get soft pretty waves. It's just....weird. And I hate putting it up for two days in a row. That's just me.

So I've been heatstyling my hair lately (2-3 three times a week), and while I love how it looks I've felt kind of guilty too. But I'm finally coming to the realization that I need to enjoy my hair, or there is no point in growing it out.
I'm not growing to super long lengths. My goal is only BSL. So maybe I'm just looking for excuses, but I feel like I don't need to be as gentle with it than if I were growing to waist or longer. Yes, just probably an excuse, I know.:p

Here's what I've finally decided: I'd rather have hair that may be a little damaged but that I love, than hair that is very healthy but I hate how it looks. I feel kind of evil for saying that, but oh well. LOL!

MarlieJane
June 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm a straightener. I take the flat iron to my hair a few times a week, usually. I haven't checked what's in my current conditioner and shampoo, but it's probably not good either, lol.

When I don't blow dry and flat iron my hair does have some wave and body, but it is kinky and frizzy in the worst ways and oils or products don't seem to help. I'm sure it's because of the damage from the iron, but then I iron it to make it smooth and hide the problem, which just damages the hair more...

MarlieJane
June 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
For the past 5 months I have tried SO hard to give up my blow drier and flat iron. So I'd let my hair air dry (with products to help encourage my weird straightish wave), then I would stay inside all day because I felt so ugly!:o My hair just doesn't look good when I let it dry on its own.

What is up with this weird straightish wave? I have it too! If my hair was just a bit straighter or a bit wavier I think I'd be happy to let it air dry and wear it down. Then again, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

BrightEyes
June 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
What is up with this weird straightish wave? I have it too! If my hair was just a bit straighter or a bit wavier I think I'd be happy to let it air dry and wear it down. Then again, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

That is my problem exactly!!! I just wish it would make up its mind and be wavy or straight. This inbetween stuff is the pits! But I'm sure if my hair had beautiful waves I would envy those with sleek straight hair. LOL!!!!

Beatrice
June 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Another sulfate user here. I've inherited oily skin from both parents; it has nothing to do with the products I use. In fact, I may go back to washing every day. I like the extra softness of my length on day 2, but I hate the buildup. It takes double the amount of shampoo to wash away! And since I use sulfates, I get to enjoy those cones.

I also use hot rollers once or twice a month, and I know that number is going to rise when I go back to school. :p

Gypsygirl
June 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I get foil highlights a couple of times a year...

lastnite
June 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I still use sulfates and cones, even though my hair does just as well without them. I just like the way the sulfate and cone products smell and feel ..but I should really be more concerned about the long term benefits of my hair, huh?

Alaia
June 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I use sulphates and cones. I don't regard it as a guilty pleasure at all. It's what my hair likes.

Admittedly I do stay away from Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate because that makes my hair shed like crazy. But luckily the shampoo I like to use doesn't have it ;)

HintOfMint
June 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Every once in a while, I will use a super-silicone-serum like John Frieda's Frizz Ease. It makes my hair dry really straight, and it makes my hair feel like brushed-out plastic Barbie hair... and I kind of like it. Yes I know I need to clarify very soon afterward with an SLS shampoo, right down to the ends which isn't good for it, but it is worth it.
Every once in a while, I just want to have conventionally attractive hair.:rolleyes:

Sarahmoon
June 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I use sulphate shampoo. I've tried more natural shampoos several times, but they always leave greasy patches on the hair close to the scalp near the nape of my neck :( I only use it once a week most of the time though, so I guess it's not too damaging.

spidermom
June 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I blow-dry whenever I feel like putting in the time, and I use a coney serum for tangle relief and shine. No apologies.

Stephichan
June 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
While my hair is shorter than shoulder length I rub my hair with the towel after the shower. I know it's bad, horribly damaging, etc etc, but I like it. It helps me feel clean and semi-dry.

sugarpixie10988
June 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I don't protect my hair from the sun. I get natural highlights from the sun and my dark blonde hair gets lighter and more golden, which I really like. I also sometimes put pink streaks in my hair if I'm feeling bored with it. Sometimes I also like taking hot showers, especially on those cold winter mornings!

breezefaerie
June 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I blow dry about once a week, I use cone containing products, and I use sulfates when I need to.

What does all this do? It makes me love my hair! :cloud9:

mellie89
June 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I S&C every other day. I wash my length as well as my scalp. I love steamy showers. I use sulfates and cones if that's what is laying around. I love the natural highlights I get in the summer. I live in messy buns. I brush my hair several times per day. I love bangs and layers and I couldn't care less how my ponytail circumference or updo abilities are affected by them. I also get my hair trimmed at a salon every 3-6 months.

None of these things bother me because I only want BSL to waist length hair. If I was aiming for longer lengths, I would definitely cut a lot of these guilty pleasures out of my routine.

My hair is in a lot better shape now than it was just a year ago, guilty pleasures or no.

Loreley
June 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm a trimming addict. I trim every month. I know it's not necessary but still I do it. :p

kristymarie87
June 11th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I've been silently hoping for a thread like this to pop up, but too chicken to start it myself!:D

For the past 5 months I have tried SO hard to give up my blow drier and flat iron. So I'd let my hair air dry (with products to help encourage my weird straightish wave), then I would stay inside all day because I felt so ugly!:o My hair just doesn't look good when I let it dry on its own. It's fine, so when it is dry I have mega flat head. And I never get soft pretty waves. It's just....weird. And I hate putting it up for two days in a row. That's just me.

So I've been heatstyling my hair lately (2-3 three times a week), and while I love how it looks I've felt kind of guilty too. But I'm finally coming to the realization that I need to enjoy my hair, or there is no point in growing it out.
I'm not growing to super long lengths. My goal is only BSL. So maybe I'm just looking for excuses, but I feel like I don't need to be as gentle with it than if I were growing to waist or longer. Yes, just probably an excuse, I know.:p

Here's what I've finally decided: I'd rather have hair that may be a little damaged but that I love, than hair that is very healthy but I hate how it looks. I feel kind of evil for saying that, but oh well. LOL!

I know exactly how you feel.

Mine dries flat aswell and ends up looking greasy. It has no actual waves that i can work with. Maybe when its longer it will be easier to give up heat etc but while mines this length i cant get away with no heat.

When my hair looks messy, i feel ugly and as stupid as it sounds, it affects my whole day! I feel upset and angry!

I agree id rather have a little damage and be happy with my hair.

I only use straighteners at weekends, i have my hair up all week and sometimes let it air dry for that. I still feel messy but im only going to work so its not too bad!

Pandora.
June 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM
HAIR STRAIGHTENERS! Hands down!

They are the ultimate fix for my bad hair days. My hair can go KABOOM with frizz when it wants to (the only advantage of this is the volume I get, but it still looks nerdy, frumpy and horrible). Flat irons fix it instantly.

When I'm dressed up, and my make-up is done, straightening my hair makes me feel a bit more...glam?

jane53
June 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm a trimming addict. I trim every month. I know it's not necessary but still I do it. :p

Trimming works for me too! I do it every 2 months, but it's a regular thing for me!

KahlanAmnell
June 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
For me, my guilty pleasure is cutting my hair. As much as I want long hair, if my ends start looking uneven I have to fight myself not to cut it. LOL It's really warm outside now so I have to wear updos which keeps me from cutting it.
I used to dye my hair constantly when I was younger, glad I was able to give that up.

kristymarie87
June 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
i think i have nearly everyone here's guilty pleasures!!

i love to trim, use cones n sulphates, heat style....... but honestly myhair isnt that bad!

Beatrice
June 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
i think i have nearly everyone here's guilty pleasures!!

i love to trim, use cones n sulphates, heat style....... but honestly myhair isnt that bad!

Aaah! Stop! :eek: You'll make me lose all the progress I've made retraining myself! OK, trimming has never been a vice of mine, and I think cones and sulphates are fine for those who need them, but heat styling. . . . *drools*

kristymarie87
June 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
lol at this length i cant help it, my hair flicks all over the place with these dreaded layers!!

I will quit though when it gets past this awkward stage!

BrightEyes
June 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
[quote=kristymarie87;1124281]
When my hair looks messy, i feel ugly and as stupid as it sounds, it affects my whole day! I feel upset and angry!
quote]

Isn't it amazing how our hair affects us so much? I know exactly what you are talking about. When my hair is ugly it just ruins my day.

I like your idea of just heatstyling on weekends. My hair is long enough to pull back into a little pony (I've recently chopped my hair into an inverted bob....I'm still kicking myself for that lol!)

I usually am home during the week or running little errands. I think I could pull my hair up for those days or attempt to do it wavy.:rolleyes:
I think it's a mindset I need to change, that I can still look pretty if my hair isn't perfectly styled. Maybe I need to try some new fun things with makeup to distract myself during those days. OOh, I'll have to go buy some new eyeshadows!

Asequui
June 14th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Ooh, I would definitely say straightening irons and hair dye. Now, granted, I did go out and buy a really nice iron (completely ceramic, not the coated stuff) and use it on the lowest or next lowest setting. And I have dyed my hair for over a decade. Basically, I'm a natural blonde but I've never felt that it looks right on me. I've been a redhead too but I, for some reason, always end up going back to dark brown. :shrug:

Dreams_in_Pink
June 14th, 2010, 03:10 AM
argh! I'm afraid i'll go back to sulfates and heat styling :( How good is it when you're not happy with the hair you have? I can start going back to LHC style care after i pass the BSL line. :shrug:

rach
June 14th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I love to sink into a very warm bath when i had a very stressful day :o

Trixie33
June 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'll admit it, I still straighten. But only when I leave my hair down (maybe once a week). Although I have reformed and let the hair dry naturally. Used to blow dry and straighten everyday.

freckles
June 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Even though I 'can' stretch washes to twice a week without looking awful, I often wash three times a week because I like it better. It's not that bad a vice, and I'm thinking of 'officially' being a 3-times-a-week-washer and giving myself permission not to worry about stretching washes. Not sure yet.
I'm on a break from blowdrying, but pretty sure that after my 'six month challenge' is up I will be going back to blowdrying (not every wash, but then, I never did blowdry every wash). I just love being able to have DRY hair QUICKLY, and the volume <3
I often wear my hair down, especially around the house. I play with my hair A LOT and brush/comb it A LOT.
I'm okay with my 'vices' really. :shrug:

fisher2
June 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM
i use sulfates cones and a target bought 3.99$ paddle brush by conair

(the only good thing i really do is started doing prtective updos and i detangel from the ends to the roots)

dawnss
June 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I use warm water to rinse my hair. Since I am transitioning (I used to get relaxer, now I am growing my hair back to its curly state) I have to use at least a wide tooth comb for my hair four to six times a week! Also I wash my scalp with shampoo maybe three times a week when I get the chance to workout hard. I should wash my hair in sections but it is a hassle. I should comb my hair in sections but it would then probably take three hours to detangle instead of the usual two. For all of prone to knots at the end of your hair I recommend you give this a shot: detangle with your widest comb, then your second widest, and keep moving down the list until you can use some kind of brush (vent, denman, paddle, or etc). Using the brush last (especially my denman) ensures that I get all the knots out!

alwayssmiling
June 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have managed to give up - bleaching, dying, cutting and heat styling. But the one thing I can't give up is washing my hair everyday! I do occassional CO washes but I love my hair when it is freshly washed. I only use a moisturising shampoo though, and I like heavy coney conditioners. I also DT twice a week, plus henndigo once a month.

maybe sparrow
June 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I sleep with mine loose. It's a mess when I wake up, but I just can't STAND the "lumpy" feeling when it's braided.

I also buy accessories, and then never use them. I got a 20 dollar vintage pin a month ago, I keep admiring, but never USE.