PDA

View Full Version : Bang Ideas?

purplehippo
June 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
You never really see long hair with bangs.. and I can't decide if I should grow mine out, keep cutting it straight across or have side bangs. Or if I should do something else to it.
Anyone have any ideas?

JenniferNoel
June 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I love bangs, I prefer side bangs, they're so much more comfortable to live with and blend in better. It takes much longer to get tired of them for some reason. I have these weird nifty bangs that I cut myself, which I can wear either way. I'll have to do a tutorial on those someday, it really works. I probably didn't invent them though, so someone else may have a better way to explain.

lillylonghair
June 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I think it really depends on the hair and the person rocking them! I personally like them on myself. I actually just cut some straight across bangs (haha after finally getting them past my chin I go and whack them off again). Granted,my hair is just between APL and BSL right now so maybe once my hair is longer I won't like them.

I do like how bangs can add a lot more interest to updos though. It cAn get extremely boring when you wear you hair in a bun or braids for days on end.

countryhopper
June 8th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Welcome!!

It really depends on your hair type and face shape. Although I've seen curlies with beautiful bangs, that upkeep may not be worth it to you if you have curly hair AND a humid climate.

Have you ever had bangs before? Did you like them? What length bang are you thinking about? Do you have any pics to show us?

Yozhik
June 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Ooh! I've been on-and-off considering this for a while! Do you have any photos to illustrate how your bangs look?

I think a number of members here have long hair and bangs (heavenlylocks comes to mind) -- they rock it and look great! :)

Igor
June 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
You never really see long hair with bangs.. and I can't decide if I should grow mine out, keep cutting it straight across or have side bangs. Or if I should do something else to it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Yes. Try wearing fake bangs for a while to see if you like it or not. You can experiment with length and styling and it’s not permanent in case you decide you don’t like it :wink:

starla_zero
June 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I chopped myself a fringe about a year ago, everyone tells me it suits me better than without and for once I agree!

LaurelSpring
June 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Bangs or no bangs. This is the eternal question for me. My friends are probably sick of me asking which way I look better. I dont want straight across bangs anymore because I think it makes me look too little girlish now. I am going for long side bangs at present. This way I can sort of blend them in or put them behind my ear and still have some hair covering my forehead. I can also wear them as fringe on either side to soften updos.

Amraann
June 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I go back and forth all of the time!

I prefer side swept on myself but I can "mimic" those with long bangs.

Currently my bangs are well past my chin. Sometimes when I get bored growing them I just do a tiny wispy of bangs which easily blend with the rest.

stiffmyster
June 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
i think hair looks good even at the ends... no bangs are the way to go!!

GuinevereMay
June 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The movie Practical Magic featured long hair with GORGEOUS bangs. If I weren't afraid of the upkeep, I would totally cut my bangs

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I have bangs and they are just barely long enough for me to pin back and pretend I don't have any if I choose. I love my bangs :)

jane53
June 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I have hip length hair with straight-across shortish bangs. Side bangs look sloppy and stringy on my hair.

BrightEyes
June 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I love my bangs. I have side bangs now, although I've also had them cut more straight across. They suit my face well. I definitely think that you can have both long hair and bangs.

Juneii
June 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I have a blunt bang and long hair (is hip considered long?) so it's not exactly unheard of. It does bother me from time to time since I only like them when they're freshly washed. But I like them, I used to have side bangs but it only looks good on one side of my face :P.

LithiaBlack
June 9th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I have hip length hair with eyebrow length straight across cut bangs. I love them :)

Gypsygirl
June 9th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I have and love bangs, but without knowing any details about your face (shape and so on...) it is kind of hard to make suggestions! ;)

kristymarie87
June 9th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I think if the hair is cut quite blunt and all on length (also if it is a darker colour) straight-across bangs look very striking and are very in fashion right now! I wish i could pull them off.

If you want a softer look go for the side swept bangs, which look exceptionally good on hair with layers. Have them longish for that fairytale look.

You could grow them out and see how you like them first of course - which is what im doing, but i will probably go back to bangs!

emmabovary
June 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I love straight across bangs.. wish I could pull them off. And I think they look extra striking with long hair... but I love the whole hippie look. Think of Jenny's hair in Forrest Gump (in the hippie era part) :crush:

dropinthebucket
June 9th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Bangs are great when you're (ahem) "getting older" and hair starts to thin at the front, as I am. I actually really like the versatility, too - one day, I comb them straight across for a Victoria Stilwell look (she's the one on It's Me or the Dog - she has *gorgeous* long red hair! She mostly wears it back for the show, but I always wonder if those misbehaved dogs are hard on her hair! :D). Another day, I sweep them to the side, for an in-vogue look. Another day, I part them in the middle and they kinda blend into the sides/long hair, for a classic look. Another day, I use a bit of styling lotion and flip them up like Farrah Fawcett's :) - yeah, I remember the 80s!!! :)

I never had "different looks" before! Bangs were my introduction to actual hairstyles. :)

Emerson
June 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I have blunt bangs and I love them. I got them for the first time last year. I had side swept bangs for a while a few years back too.

birthmarkie
June 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I have face/forehead framing fringe from new growth that I coax that way. Works great and can be temporary. Or just try parting differently? That can add more dimension to a look as well. :)

Capybara
June 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
My hair is BCL and I have bangs. They're long enough that I can pin them back or tuck them behind an ear if I choose, however. Bangs suit my face shape :)

jenwithtriplets
June 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I have been debating bangs for years. Every time I see someone with bangs, I want them. Then I forget about them, but then I see someone with bangs that look great and I want them again. :D My hair is almost APL and wavy and thick. I can't even remember the last time I had bangs. Now this thread has got me wanting them again. My only concern is the up-keep on me. My hair is really wavy and frizzy near my temples and I am afraid they would just frizz up and look horrible. I wear my up ALL the time, mostly in a ponytail and it is SO boring. I have a roundest face (I think).

KahlanAmnell
June 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Just cut my hair into bangs today. I have curly/wavy hair but I'm willing to straighten them a lot because I'm tired of how severe my buns have been looking. I'm thinking on the days I don't feel like doing it, I will go for a regency hairstyle. LOL

If nothing else people always knock a few years off my age in guesses when I have bangs. :-D

Aby23
June 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I have waist length hair & straight across bangs. They have a slight curl under even when I straighten them, but I love them.

Do whatever suits your face!

FrannyG
June 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I see lots of people with long hair and bangs. Some have blunt, straight-across bangs, others, longer sideswept bangs.

If you're a bangs/fringe person, I don't see any reason not to wear them, no matter how long your hair is.

mellie89
June 10th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have side swept bangs right now, but as someone else said, they only look good on one side of your face! At least that's how mine are.

I really want to cut blunt bangs next time I go in for a trim. The last time I had bangs, my hair was fried beyond belief and they looked kinda scuzzy as a result. Now they'd be virgin bangs, and that would be awesome. (Maybe I should rephrase that... :rolleyes:)

I like these a lot.

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3969&pictureid=74203

alwayssmiling
June 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Also some people choose bangs to take a bit of thickness out of their hair. I cut my fringe quite blunt and straight across to cover up scars on my forhead. I'm thinking of growing them so they aren't quite as wide though, I would like my fringe to be a bit softer.

jane53
June 10th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I cut bangs in my late 30s to soften my face. I'm in my 50s and the scraped back appearance without bangs can make me look very severe and school-marmish.

angelperception
June 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I like long side swept bangs best!

Gypsygirl
June 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I have blunt bangs and I love them. I got them for the first time last year.

So pretty! :)

evampr18
June 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
im currently in china and EVERYONE thats anyone here wears long hair with bangs.

personally, i love long hair with bangs.

StarryNight
June 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I am growing out my blunt bangs because I quit heat styling, but I am going to purchase clip-ins! I love the blunt bang look a lot, and the clip in bangs are pretty cheap and look nice.