PDA

View Full Version : How much conditioner for CO?

lyrl
May 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'm curious how much conditioner others use for CO washes.

When I do CO, I will use about half of a 15-oz bottle. It's a lot! It's OK because I'm using cheap conditioner and only do it once a week, but I wondered how common that was.

How much conditioner do you guys use for CO?

akurah
May 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It depends. I'll use anywhere from only 1/4th of the bottle to the entire bottle. I use more conditioner when applying to dry hair than to wet.

AJoifulNoise
May 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I think my bottles are between 10-13oz. I tend to use about 1/5-1/4 of the bottle for each CO.

Riot Crrl
May 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I use what probably amounts to one large handful. I thought that was a lot, ha. But your hair is almost twice as long as mine.

The exception is trying to wash henna or similar out of my hair. I apply and rinse five and six times, so I can go through half a bottle there.

tmmycat
May 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I vary the amount depending on what my hair is up to ... if my hair is completely greasy or oily or buildupy from roots to ends then I use enough to thoroughly saturate it.

Today I oiled my ends before washing it and I only used a small amount of conditioner on my scalp, because my ends were dry but my scalp was oily.

Dvips
May 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I used about one handful for the first CO, followed by one and a half handfuls for the second CO. (My hair liked to have 2 COs in a wash. :shrug: )

Carolyn
May 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I get about 4 CO washes out of a bottle of VO5 or WR conditioner. Not bad for something that's a buck a bottle :D I agree with whoever said it takes more on dry hair and that's the way I do most of my CO's.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I use what probably amounts to one large handful. I thought that was a lot, ha. But your hair is almost twice as long as mine.

The exception is trying to wash henna or similar out of my hair. I apply and rinse five and six times, so I can go through half a bottle there.

This is about what I did when I COd. I would get a large handful over the course of the shower-time.

mitabird
May 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I've never measured how much CO I use. I just use enough to make sure my hair is coated and slippery feeling.

lookingglass
May 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
about 1/4 of a bottle

socks
May 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Wow. That's a lot of conditioner! Even when I CO, a bottle lasts about 3 months (which is 20+ washes).

Daoine Sidhe
May 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I also use 1/4th of a bottle! And my hair is not even that long :o
But, hey, it's a very cheep conditioner :o

savi
May 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM
These posts have made me realise don't use that much conditioner after all.. I started out with 1/4 of a 6.8 oz bottle and now I use maybe half of that or less? Sounds so little. Maybe I'm ready for the wavy curly girl method. :D

Anje
May 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Wow. I don't go through much. A large handful for the scalp, another one for the length. That's about it. I get maybe 8 washes to a V05 bottle.

Loviatar
May 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
2 handfuls for me, usually, although since I've got past 22 inches and my thickness has improved I've found myself using 3.

That's on wet hair. I'm fascinated with the idea of CO on dry hair, though.

Elizabeth
May 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Wow, I don’t use nearly as much as I have seen in posts! I use a large handful. Of course, my hair is just past my shoulders. I focus on the scalp when I wash, not so much the length, so it will be interesting to see if this changes as my hair gets longer.

teela1978
May 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
When I was doing CO I used a lot... about 3 handfuls. But I diluted it at least 50/50 in an empty bottle with water to stretch it out. Might be an option for some of you 1/4 bottlers :)

Islandgrrl
May 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Between 1 & 2 big handfulls, I'm guessing somewhere around 1/6 of a bottle or so (I buy big bottles!).

chrissy-b
May 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I use a handful of my cheapie conditioner on the scalp and and about 1/2 a handful of a thicker conditioner on the length.

curls2grow
May 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
My hair is longer than armpit length but shorter than BSL when wet -- I use about 2 heaping tablespoons of conditioner when I CO wash (every other day).

psvzum
May 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I use about 2-3 big handfuls per wash.

Shirlpunzel
May 12th, 2008, 06:05 PM
It depends on the conditioner I'm using. When it's mane'n'tail(my usual) it takes much less, but it is also relatively thick. I occasionally will use some of the V05 and Suave cheap conditioners for variety(or for something protein free if I need the extra moisture after a protein treat). Those are thinner/runnier, and I use a lot.

The last time I used the VOS strawberry moisture milk (that one does have protein, btw), it took over a half a bottle just to get it good and slippery all the way through.
(yeah, I know, :agape: - yet a bottle of mane'n'tail lasts me for months)
My hair really soaks up conditioner though. My routine is to get my hair conpletley wet, then work the conditioner all the way through my hair, then twist it up under a shower cap while I do the rest of my shower, and rinse with cold water. By the time I take the cap off, it doesn't feel like there's nearly as much conditioner there.

I've thought about trying dry CO - nothing against it, just haven't gotten around to it yet

Elarea
May 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I CO every day and use a very large handful and spread it through my hair and comb it in, then I take another smaller squeeze (about the size of a quarter) to use for scrubbing my scalp. I go through about a bottle a week. :D

sowhat
May 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
For my CO, I go through about a bottle a week(V05 Vita Burst Grapefruit or White Rain EB).

I don't go through my Nexxus stuff near as fast. I have a 44oz Bottle of Humectress that I've had for about 5 months that is about 1/2 used up; same for the 44oz of Therappe. I also have some Emergencee and Keraphix that are mostly full that are great products, but I only use the E once a month and the Keraphix on a ? basis.

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Well, my hair is 3" long. And if I use more than about a half dollar size amount, it's too much. But I don't do CO. Maybe if I did I'd use, oh I don't know...a big blob. Say, 1 ounce?

Newniepg
May 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I use about two smallish palm fulls. This gets my hair nice and slippery, I then leave it for about two hours under a shower cap- I don't know if this means I can use less and get my hair clean.

MusicLady
May 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I CO once a week. I get about 5-6 CO's out of a bottle of the cheap Suave, but I mix it with a squirt of Suave Humectress and some honey, and just use that on my length. Then I use Whole Foods 365 brand (lavender when I can get it) on my scalp, about 2 big handfuls. (I'm trying to find something that doesn't make my scalp itch, and I'm really sensitive to fragrances).

Starr
May 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
About a third of a bottle of V05. . . luckily I can get it from CVS for 66 cents, otherwise I would never be able to afford it.

LynnM
June 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I use up to 3/4 C of conditioner per shower (I use V05)

Forever_Sophie
June 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I've never measured how much CO I use. I just use enough to make sure my hair is coated and slippery feeling.

2nd...I think a little more than 1/4 of the bottle.

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I go through half a bottle every time I wash.

longishhair
March 9th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I use about 2 heaping tablespoons per wash and felt like I was wasting it (I used to use 1 tsp per wash), but after reading your posts that has changed SOMEWHAT :laugh:

queenovnight
March 10th, 2014, 06:20 AM
longishhair,

I'm with you! I used about the same amount. Now I feel like I haven't been using enough!

longishhair
March 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
longishhair,

I'm with you! I used about the same amount. Now I feel like I haven't been using enough!

I use one tablespoon per condition - I condition twice so I end up with 2 tablespoons per shower. Using that amount already leaves me with tons of lather and extremely easy fingercombing after the 2nd conditioning before rinsing it out. How do you guys even have enough hair for those huge amounts??? :laugh:

ravenreed
March 10th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I CO every other day and go through at least 3 bottles of Suave a month. I make sure that the conditioner is well coating every hair and that it gets all the way down to the roots of my hair.

ositarosita
March 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I se a good 3-5 BIG handfuls when using a cheap conditioner and I use a finger length line when using something more expensive (about 1 tbsp.). When I use it on dry hair however I use about half to a quarter of the bottle.

**1 reason I plan on switching to tresseme naturals (the silicone free ... hopefully my hair will accept it) so that I can use the right amount and not feel bad about it

Marika
March 10th, 2014, 12:08 PM
:shocked: :bigeyes: I'm with you who think they haven't used enough CO conditioner! I use a small handful on my scalp hair and a "better" conditioner on my length. About two tablespoons. I used this little even when my hair was at tbl.

Those who use much, do you get better results (did you start with smaller amount?) or why do you use so much? :flower: I'm asking because CO wash is sort of hit-and-miss for me.