PDA

View Full Version : Help with buns

rachelily
June 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone,

My hair is currently 5 inches from BSL when curly, and I've been wanting to wear my hair in buns to protect it but it's just so darn short! Any wrapped bun is the size of a golf ball on the back of my head, and proportionally that isn't the best look on me. So my favorite bun is the messy bun, because it adds a bit more volume.

My question is this - do you have any secrets for keeping your ends nice when in a bun? I always try to wrap my ends in but when I take it out at the end of the day, they are fried looking and kinked and all sorts of tangled, which defeats the purpose of putting it out of the way to protect them!

I am thinking maybe oiling the ends before putting it up, but what do you think?

loralie
June 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm just edging past APL, my hair is 1c/2a.

Firstly, what are you using to secure your buns? Just plain elastics? I found that even with the "ouchless" metal free elastics, I was still getting breakage. I think it's because it's such a tough elastic in such a small spot and it can tear your hair. I went out and got thicker cotton headband elastics, they're softer and made of stretchy fabric rather than wrapped elastic, and they're much better on my hair. You can also use scrunchies if you want.

When I wear my hair in a bun, I make a ponytail and without securing it, twist it a couple of times (whichever direction you want) until it begins to wrap in on itself. I wrap it around, and secure with one of my fabric ties, making sure the ends are tucked under it. This way, I don't get the kinks and breaks I did from elastics. You can also wrap until you have a little tail, and turn the bun inside out, tucking the ends inside it.

You have gorgeous curls, girl :D

spidermom
June 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I can't keep nice ends in a bun because buns all sag and/or twist in my slippy-slidey hair, which scrunches up the ends and makes them look all frazzled when I take out the bun. However, after I wet them and comb through, they look normal again.

rachelily
June 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
spidermom - Oh, wetting them sounds really good. I'm always so nervous to take my brush to them. I will do that! Thank you!

loralie - I use the "ouchless" things that aren't really ouchless. Lol! I will look for some of those thick cotton hair ties at the store next time I go, those sound really nice and soft. Thanks!

YesitsReal
June 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Past shoulder length, I could always manage a simple cinnabun without needing an elastic. The shorter the hair, the higher it would have to be on my head, though, because of layering. What kind of pins do you use? I got some v-shaped pins (sort of like Amish hair pins) at Sally, and they hold pretty well without damaging anything. My ends always get fried if I secure buns, braids, etc with an elastic at the end. Could that be what the problem is? Also, you can damage hair by always starting buns with a ponytail, regardless of what you use to secure it. See if you can do cinnabuns and maybe bee-butt buns (or heck, even braided buns) without starting with an elastic. It can be a pain in the butt, but once you get it down, you'll have it.

rachelily
June 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Past shoulder length, I could always manage a simple cinnabun without needing an elastic. The shorter the hair, the higher it would have to be on my head, though, because of layering. What kind of pins do you use? I got some v-shaped pins (sort of like Amish hair pins) at Sally, and they hold pretty well without damaging anything. My ends always get fried if I secure buns, braids, etc with an elastic at the end. Could that be what the problem is? Also, you can damage hair by always starting buns with a ponytail, regardless of what you use to secure it. See if you can do cinnabuns and maybe bee-butt buns (or heck, even braided buns) without starting with an elastic. It can be a pain in the butt, but once you get it down, you'll have it.

Oh I never thought of this, of course! I never use an elastic to start the bun, only to finish. But pins sound so much nicer - I just have bobby pins but I've been meaning to get some of those bigger v-shaped ones just like you mentioned. I'll go do this, thank you!

GRU
June 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Just because your ends look crinkly after having been in a bun doesn't mean that you didn't protect them.

Think of it like "braid waves" from having been smooshed into a swirly position inside the bun -- the hair's physical shape was temporarily altered, but it wasn't damaged by sunlight, heat, dry wind, chemicals, etc.

countryhopper
June 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM
have you tried hair scroos? they are great for securing buns!

I'm also just at APL, but even I can just barely do a lazy wrap bun and secure it with a hair stick. It needs fixed several times a day, but at least it's something different! Maybe you could try that? And if you don't own any hait sticks, over on the hair toy/accessories board there are some terrible enablers! :D

rachelily
June 8th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Just because your ends look crinkly after having been in a bun doesn't mean that you didn't protect them.

Think of it like "braid waves" from having been smooshed into a swirly position inside the bun -- the hair's physical shape was temporarily altered, but it wasn't damaged by sunlight, heat, dry wind, chemicals, etc.

This is very true, I guess I just figured since they looked funny they couldn't be alright. My hair sure looks funny after being braided, after all, and I know no damage is being done there! :)

rachelily
June 8th, 2010, 06:56 PM
have you tried hair scroos? they are great for securing buns!

I'm also just at APL, but even I can just barely do a lazy wrap bun and secure it with a hair stick. It needs fixed several times a day, but at least it's something different! Maybe you could try that? And if you don't own any hait sticks, over on the hair toy/accessories board there are some terrible enablers! :D

Oh yes I saw those new Goody pins that look like spirals, and I want some! (And I know what you mean - I was on a flexi-8 thread today, never interested in them before, but NOW ... ) Haha

klcqtee
June 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I have the same problem, so I try to bun with hair sticks instead, and that's solved the problem. I could do a bun at collar bone length, using two hairsticks. I think you should be able to as well, or you will in a month or two.

Hairsticks can be made from chopsticks, shortened to size (with a pencil sharpener), sanded to a soft point, then coated in nail polish, or acrylic paint with clear polish over.

rachelily
June 9th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I have the same problem, so I try to bun with hair sticks instead, and that's solved the problem. I could do a bun at collar bone length, using two hairsticks. I think you should be able to as well, or you will in a month or two.

Hairsticks can be made from chopsticks, shortened to size (with a pencil sharpener), sanded to a soft point, then coated in nail polish, or acrylic paint with clear polish over.

OH I will definitely try this! I have some awesome nail polish colors I never use cause they are too bright for me. Thank you for this suggestion!

So it sounds like it's the hair elastic that's pulling and chewing up my ends (or just making them look that way). So gentler solutions like all of yours are wonderful :)

klcqtee
June 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM
OH I will definitely try this! I have some awesome nail polish colors I never use cause they are too bright for me. Thank you for this suggestion!

Yeah. I was always nervous to invest in hair sticks, but when I found out I could make my own so easily, I was super excited! I hope something helps fix your ends, either way.

GRU
June 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
This place has super-cheap prices for all kinds of chopsticks: http://asianideas.com/chopsticks.html

And the kid chopsticks don't need to be shortened, they're the right size to begin with. :)

Angeletti
June 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I've been putting my hair in a cinnamon bun lately with hairsticks to secure it and it's nice because I don't have to use any kind of ponytail holders. for you ends you could maybe put some leave in conditioner on before you put your hair up into a bun

Anje
June 11th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'll add a vote for using hairsticks, and I think you have enough length to manage it. I happen to find them the most comfortable way to secure a bun, too, and they don't tangle in hair the way pins, elastics, and even Ficcares can. I've cut off a few chopsticks with a saw, then filed them to a point and smoothed them with a nail file/buffer. Ketylos are also particularly secure and multi-purpose, if you decide to purchase a few starter sticks.

If you can manage to give your ends a little twist and slide them underneath your bun in a cohesive unit rather than shoving them in as best you can individually and in directions that will kink them, it'll also stop some of the frazzled texture.

jeanniet
June 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Voting for hairsticks here, too. You might get a pair of Ketylos and see how they work for you. They hold very well in my hair. The first bun I could get to hold in my hair was a twisted stick bun. Make a ponytail and hold in your left hand. Hold a stick in your right hand and lay on top of the pony, then wrap the pony up and around the end of the stick. Turn the stick clockwise 180 degrees or until you've used up most of your hair. Tip the stick up straight so that the point pushes through an outer part of the bun and then touches your scalp, catch a little scalp hair, and push the stick through and out the outer part of the bun on the other side. If you've rotate the stick 180 degrees, it will end up with the handle on the right at 3 o' clock and the point on the left at 9 o' clock (or thereabouts). It takes a little practice, but once I got it down this bun has always held very well for me, especially with Ketylos.

I would get a pair of sticks and just play around to see what works best for you. Watch some youtube videos and practice. I'm not a very good bunner (understatement), but I do have a few I can do that hold and look pretty decent. :D

rachelily
June 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Sounds like I have some hair stick making to do! I will check out the links after experimenting with making some and seeing how that turns out. Maybe I'll glue little beads to the ends ...

bumblebums
June 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
You don't need to make your own hair sticks (unless you really want to, of course). You can buy pre-made ones in bulk at places like http://www.manyhorses.com/store_hairsticks.htm. I would say that 6 inches is about the functional minimum.

I would recommend a hair fork. They are pretty easy to master for beginners and hold well even shorter lengths. There are several brands that are popular among the users of this forum--have a look at the albums. Some people also do well with a size 1 knitting pin bent into a U shape. Cheaper than buying a $30 hair fork.

GRU
June 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
You don't need to make your own hair sticks (unless you really want to, of course). You can buy pre-made ones in bulk at places like http://www.manyhorses.com/store_hairsticks.htm. I would say that 6 inches is about the functional minimum.

Great, bumblebums, just enable us all, why don't you???? ;)

bugeyedmonster2
June 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM

So it sounds like it's the hair elastic that's pulling and chewing up my ends (or just making them look that way). So gentler solutions like all of yours are wonderful :)

There are some wonderful tips on making your own hairsticks at the "Self Made Hair Toys" thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131

There is also the Making Hairsticks thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48731

Some folks use food dye or markers to stain wooden sticks. Someone mentioned a recipe for darkening a wooden stick. You soak several nails in vinegar. When the vinegar has darkened you use it to 'paint' the stick.

You can also buy pre-drilled hairsticks at Fire Mountain Gems or at Etsy.

Some folks glue beads on their sticks. One lady even glued Lego Star Wars figures to her sticks. lol!

I've been using acrylic to paint my sticks. I found a spray on clear coat at Hobby Lobby. Now I just need a good base to hold the sticks.

I stuck toothpicks in the holes of the sticks and stuck the the other end of the toothpick into a Styrofoam block. I didn't realize that the spray on clear coat could melt Styrofoam. :oops:

I think I need to find a wood block, punch some holes in it, and then use the toothpicks.

rachelily
June 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
There are some wonderful tips on making your own hairsticks at the "Self Made Hair Toys" thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131

There is also the Making Hairsticks thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48731

Some folks use food dye or markers to stain wooden sticks. Someone mentioned a recipe for darkening a wooden stick. You soak several nails in vinegar. When the vinegar has darkened you use it to 'paint' the stick.

You can also buy pre-drilled hairsticks at Fire Mountain Gems or at Etsy.

Some folks glue beads on their sticks. One lady even glued Lego Star Wars figures to her sticks. lol!

I've been using acrylic to paint my sticks. I found a spray on clear coat at Hobby Lobby. Now I just need a good base to hold the sticks.

I stuck toothpicks in the holes of the sticks and stuck the the other end of the toothpick into a Styrofoam block. I didn't realize that the spray on clear coat could melt Styrofoam. :oops:

I think I need to find a wood block, punch some holes in it, and then use the toothpicks.

Thank you for all this information! I will have so much fun doing all of this!