PDA

View Full Version : curious what's up with getting rid of layers?

tmmycat
May 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I always seem to read about people wanting to get rid of their layers and make it all one length ... is there a reason for that? Just curious.

I love my layers! My hair is so thick, it would probably be shaped like a triangle if I didn't have layers!

Tap Dancer
May 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I like my layers too. I think it's mostly a personal preference.

Ursula
May 11th, 2008, 04:37 PM
If you like layers, you like them, if you don't, you don't.

If you have layers, and don't want them, then it can take quite a while to grow them out, particularly if you want to keep increasing your overall length at the same time. So it can be a long-term project. That means that one or two people growing out their layers may be following the progress of that goal for a year or two, and you'll see quite a few posts in their blog, as well as a few threads on the boards, as they try to work out the right balance of trimming the length so the layers catch up, but not trimming so much they wind up with it unhappily short by their standards.

Also, layers left from a short hair cut are often not well-designed for longer hair. So even if someone wants layers in the end, it can make sense to get things to a blunt cut, grow the length, and then put in layers that work at the goal length. Otherwise, it can wind up looking shaggy, as the short layers are at a stage they weren't designed for.

In addition, if you are going for super-long hair, layers, since they take away thickness from the length, can be detramental to reaching the overall length goal, as the ends may fade to nothing at a shorter length than if you have every hair on your head contributing to end thickness.

In a way, it can be more stressful to grow out layers that you don't want than to simply grow already-blunt-cut-hair for length, because instead of waiting for it to grow, you're having to conciously balance your goals. There is a two-week rule reccomended around here for cutting - I suggest doubling that if you're considering cutting layers, because of the more complicated growing out issues.

karenpetal
May 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hey I like the look of my hair in layers and ike the ponytail look but when it comes to braiding or any updo its difficult to tuck all in - I guess thats why - i long layers and loved the way it looked left flowing ot in a pony but try to french braid it and it was a pain !!!

mommy101405
May 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I personally don't like mine at the moment b/c the hairdresser aka "the evil doer" hacked away at mine. In general I do prefer my hair to have some layers though. I think its a preference and it would make updos easier to have my hair all one length but I'm pretty much just a pony tail girl anyway and layers don't really matter in my ponytail.

tmmycat
May 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
hmmm, that's a good point ... layers + braids probably wouldn't mix very well!

And I can imagine layers might look awkward growing out if they are too dramatic. I tried to grow out a mullet once (I didn't ask for that haircut btw! lol) and it was terrible. It definitely looked like a mushroom for a while until I was ready to get the bottom 6 inches cut off. Then I still had layers but they were a lot more shapely.

AmandaPanda
May 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
My layers are almost gone. I NEVER trimmed them. They were cut in when my hair was shoulder length, and as I grew my hair out and they grew out with it. After a while they taper and blend in and no one can tell I have any. They're cut off if they're at the ends of my hair or they're left alone. I think they can contribute to tangles. They stick out of buns and braids (like someone mentioned).

So, my hair is now tail bone length and I'd say I have 2" before they are completely gone

psvzum
May 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I have very thick wavy/curly hair so without layers it's just too much hair. I do understand why people might not like them though for updo's, braiding, etc.

Riot Crrl
May 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I like em too but they are bad for updos. If I put the updo up damp they stay pretty well, as long as I don't attempt anything braided. Then they stick out no matter what.

Rini
May 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
In my case, having all one length hair (at longer lengths) is desirable because it increases the thickness and means less taper.

At shorter lengths, I prefer layers as my hair is quite wavy/curly and it stops the "pyramid" look.

Just personal preference :D

spidermom
May 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I don't think there's much point to cutting off length to even out layers, either, like AmandaPanda said. Most people have hair at every length anyway, and layers will gradually blend in with the general unevenness so that you won't be able to tell you ever had them.

GlennaGirl
May 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I love the look of layers on some people, but my all-over "long layers" made my hair look thinner, oddly enough. I had expected them to add volume.

They also seemed to catch on the comb all the time, sticking out here and there as they did, and contributed to damage to my hair.

I didn't mind so much the actual sticking-out look (of updos and braids). I thought that looked cute and very current. But the other issues really killed the idea of layers for me. They were very long layers and I cut my hair very short at the time, so it wasn't too difficult to get rid of them.

spidermom
May 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I keep layers around my face but I don't want them in my length because my goal is very long, and I want to keep the ends as thick as possible. Nature is thinning them out a lot as it grows anyway; I have a lot of taper.

birthmarkie
May 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
My layers were cut in for a very short hairstyle and they do very little for me now that I have longer hair. They just weren't meant for longer hair. I don't mind some of them, but the others give me an uneven hemline and that is why I am very slowly evening things up. It is more about the hemline than the layers. Also, the nice thing about one layer is that you know exactly what length you have. As it is, I have shoulder length, armpit length, and nearly bra-strap length hair. It looks different from every angle and "surprises" me all the time. I think they give me more tangles at the ends, too.

flapjack
May 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
In June of 2005, I got layers cut up to my chin (just along the sides) and now the highest layer is a little below bsl. I keep cutting the rest of my hair up to my bellybutton to let it catch up. Takes forever.

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I have them now, but as my virgin hair grows out, my layers are coming with it. It's all personal preference, but my hair is thin and I want all the thickness down the length I can get. Plus, layers tend to be awkward to contain in updos.

Nevermore
May 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have layer-y things, not technical intentional layers, but layer-y bits from the cut and bangs I'm growing out, while I don't mind them much, I can't wait for the shortest ones to grow to bsl or longer, so I can put my hair into an updo without needing to ponytail it tightly first. That's my main reason for not wanting layers, I believe the ponytailing is damaging, but if I want a sleek updo or one that actually STAYS up, I have to do it.

cat_in_the_hat7
May 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Layers sure make updos a lot harder but I have found I have to keep them in my hair. My hair is so thick I get way too much poof if I don't. Plus I like the tapered look on me. Blunt cuts just look funny in my hair.

noelgirl
May 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I've been wondering the same, it seems like a lot of people here are going for no layers, but I tend to prefer at least a little bit of layering for myself. I love the look of straight, one-length hair, but since my hair is wavy, it doesn't have that same look to it when it's all one length; rather, it just gets heavy-looking and more frizz-prone. It forms more actual waves when there's at least a few long layers.

Katze
May 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
The layers that looked cute in my 2004 trendy shag cut don't look so cute anymore now that my hair is at BSL. My hair is fine, and the layers make the ends look thin and ratty. I suspect part of this taper is natural, but the layers really don't help, and they do add tangles too.

I'm trimming the longest ends very gradually, hoping to even out the taper and let the layers catch up.

All of the various layers, wisps, bangs growing out, etc mean that any updo that I do gets messy within a couple of hours. I've learned to cultivate the messy updo look, but sometimes really just wish for hair that was mostly one length and stayed put in an updo. Also, thicker braids would be nice.

One thing that bothers me about layers in principle is that they are recommended for EVERY kind of hair. Hair's thick? Put layers in it! Thin hair? Layer for volume! etc. and this from the same "professionals" who would bunch my hair on top of my head to wash it, cut it with a razor, use an iron/blowdryer to make it straight, use hairspray, etc.... then tell me my hair "is too fine to grow long." Feh.

Some people like layers, and more power to them. If my hair had been healthy to begin with, long layers might not look bad, if I'd known that I have wave, I could have learned earlier how to deal with my hair's temperamentalness. As it is, the layers just don't help me be happy with my hair.

QueenBea
May 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM
My hair is very thick and wavy, and if I have layers at the current length or shorter (somewhere between shoulder and APL)--it looks FANTASTIC *if* I blow dry it straight. If I don't straighten it, it looks straggly when it's this short with the thickness and waviness.

So that's why I've grown my layers out; years of experience of having hair this long and killing it with the blowdryer and being frustrated with not being able to "wash and go".

My hair doesn't look so great now airdried, but at least the ends don't straggle.

When it gets longer--APL or BSL--I'll have to re-evaluate; it might need a little layering at the ends.

I don't know a thing about why straight hair would or wouldn't want layers, although when I see someone with stick-straight hair and a lot of layers, I tend to think it looks like they need a haircut :) I would think really curly hair might want layers as it got longer to keep it from bunching up. But--that's not my hair and I have zero experience so I can really only speak for my own----

Bea

I always seem to read about people wanting to get rid of their layers and make it all one length ... is there a reason for that? Just curious.

I love my layers! My hair is so thick, it would probably be shaped like a triangle if I didn't have layers!

KnightsLady
May 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I love the sheen than all one length hair has. It also has a sleekness to it, imitating the flow of water when it moves.

- Lack of thickness, especially for updos. I really miss being able to make a thick braid.
- Again for updos - bits stick out in all directions and bobby pins are a necessity, not an option.
- Harder to control on a windy day. The layers go in all directions and it's not possible to grab a handful of hair and actually have it out of ones face.
- Layered hair tangles easier
- The under-layers of hair are more exposed and suffer more weathering.
- Looks like the hair is thinner than it really is and most of the hair puffs out around the head making (my) head look even bigger than it really is.

I do like (very) slight shaping around the sides though. ;)

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I need layers with shorter hair to avoid pyramid-head-syndrome, but now that my hair's getting longer they're a PITA, as they mean that I can't get my hair into many braids, etc., and they also make things like figure-8s harder as the upper layers are shorter (of course, my hair is too short for a single figure-8 anyway, but I can barely do double ones because of the shorter layers).

ETA: I may end up cutting in slight layers when I reach my goal length, but I don't like the layers and V-shaped hemline combined.

Faepirate
May 12th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I loved my layers when I had hair that was more like APL but beyond BSL I think they make my hair poof out and I'd really prefer to have more weight and consistency in my hair now. I'm growing my layers out very very slowly. Like Spidermom I like face-framing layers (and will probably cut these back in at some point because they've disappeared into the length!) but for my type and thickness of hair, at this length, having layers seems to cause more problems for me. Maybe I'll change my mind when my layers have gone and get them cut back in.... we shall see.

jel
May 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I like my layers... Having said that, they are clearly left-over from a short cut, as the shortest layer is now around BSL. They contribute to the fairy-tale ends look that I like on me.

I also have no problem with updos - I suppose it depends on your preferred styles. Layered, thinner ends twist and tuck beautifully into cinnabuns, orchid buns, figure 8, soft nautilus - actually, anything except the Chinese bun, in my experience.

There is a visible taper at the bottom of my braid, too, but I don't really mind.

To add without multi-quoting: I was surprised that layers are touted to add volume - it's obvious that they're taking it off, isn't it? The only explanation I could think of is if you take time (and product) to scrunch your layers, you create an illusion of voluminous hair. But you don't need the layers to scrunch some product into your hair... :shrug:

rhubarbarin
May 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I have very layered hair - I cut it myself curl by curl according to damage, so the last few inches are all different lengths, plus I have a much shorter layer cut into the front right.. which I will be cutting less than my other hair, to let it catch up..

My ends are thinner with layering, but it doesn't bother me. I also have 'sticky' hair, so bits and pieces don;t fall/stick out of my updos/braids. Really I don't think my layers are that noticable when my hair is up or down.

There does seem to be a focus on 'all one length' with a lot of LHC members.. but not with me. Since my hair doesn't grow all one length with blunt ends, I don't worry about cutting it to look that way.

TwirlyTresses
May 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm always growing my layers out, then cutting them back in, then growing them out again, then cutting them in again. When I wear my hair down, the layers really help separate the curls and make them less heavy and bouncier. But I like braids a lot, too, and the layers stick out of them in odd places. I'll probably never really decide. :)

paper
May 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm growing out layers from pretty short hair. I've had my hair short and layered for about 6 yrs and now want long 1 length hair for a change. My sides are too short to do anything with right now and look awful. I have to wear barrettes or a headband.

After my hair gets 1 length and longer, I may add layers. But, that would be a different style then the layers that are growing out now.

Periwinkle
May 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I have layers. My hair is VERY thick, and I reckoned they'd thin it out.

It was great until my hair got more than an inch below shoulder level. Now they sit in just the wrong place, and also there's a noticeable line where there's far less hair. They also poke out of braids and every single updo I do. I'm going to leave them until September, when I start my next year of school, and then chop up to even it a little. It'll take a long time to grow out the slight shaping round my face, though.

Leisa
May 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
11 months ago I decided to cut my layered past BSL hair, to a blunt shoulder to remove all layers.:)

In 11 mo I'm almost at BSL and my hair is one length.

My hair looked thinner with layers and the thin ends are weaker, and more prone to damage and also drying.

There is a theory that your head sheds more with layers and bangs, because your head is naturally trying to even itself out.
Is it true? I don't know. But sinse my goal was the longest, thickest healthies hair I could achieve, the layers had to go for me.

Euphony
May 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
With my thick wavy hair I decided layers was a good idea. And at shorter lengths (lengths that don't require updos) layers were great. Now I'm reconsidering as I'm going past hip length. Braids and updos in general can be problematic, but I am also growing out bangs too in essence. My bangs are then my shortest layer, just now hitting bsl. I have to tie braids off at bsl to hopefully get the shortest layer contained (rarely happens). Since my hair is also so thick it's tough for me to do a lot of updos since I need longer hair to do them, the layers only add to that frustration.

My immediate goal is to get to tail bone, then slowly trim until the layers are the same length, then see if I like it. I might still like layers, I'm not sure (I've never had hair this long), so I might cut layers back in but I don't really see having the shortest layer any shorter than mbl possibly waist, just for ease of containment.

twilight
May 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
yep, i too had a super short bob with heavy layers when i started growing (absolutely necessary to try to salvage what little undamaged hair i had at the time). i got 2 trims a year to help the damage and let her cut layers in until i joined the "no cut club" last year :)

now my hair has just grown, layers and all, and i actually really like the movement they contribute to the last 4" or so. it is definitely annoying to have little spikes at the end of a braid though, lol! i figure i'll grow them until they're gone and then go back to one length. for now i can't bear the thought of losing those precious inches, damaged or not. :shrug:

camillacamilla
May 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I am getting rid of mine because a hairdresser over-layered my hair. To look good, my whole head needs a curling iron/hot rollers/flat iron thanks to all the layers. I wanted a few long layers, got layers that thinned and majorly reduced the volume and length of my hair. :mad:

Wanderer09
May 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
My hair is currently one large mess of layers. They make braids and updos a pain. I can't wait to be able to make one nice-looking single braid with no little tufts sticking out...

I've always been told that my hair needed layers because it's curly and so thick. Now I'm very tempted to grow as much of it to one length as possible, except for the face-framing bits.

soleluna
May 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I don't like layers, because with them updoes are a mess. I have thick hair, and I love it showing it's thick

cuddledumplin
May 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Like the others mentioned, it's for neater braids and updos. I can't really wear layers because my hair is so wavy that they tend to stick out and just look weird. Layer also tend to make my thick hair positively huge.

Rini
May 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
One thing that bothers me about layers in principle is that they are recommended for EVERY kind of hair. Hair's thick? Put layers in it! Thin hair? Layer for volume! etc. and this from the same "professionals" who would bunch my hair on top of my head to wash it, cut it with a razor, use an iron/blowdryer to make it straight, use hairspray, etc.... then tell me my hair "is too fine to grow long." Feh.

Absolutely!!!!! :bowtome:

Zindell
May 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I always seem to read about people wanting to get rid of their layers and make it all one length ... is there a reason for that?

I have fine almost straight scandinavian hair. A blunt cut makes my hair thicker and not so whispy. If I had thicker hair like you I might think otherwise. :)

But to me:
No layers = Thicker hair
No layers = Braids without hair sticking out allover
No layers = Easier updos
No layers = Hair looks more shiny

Loviatar
May 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM
My sister has layers and she loves them, she is a 2c/3a M/C ii/iii hairtype.

I had layers put in by an overzealous stylist who thought that 'thin' (when she meanst 'fine') hair needed a lot of volume.

If I styled my hair her way every day, with volume foam and spray and a hairdryer, it looked great, but it felt terrible. And if I washed it and left it to air dry with no product, it felt great but looked terrible. Layers make my hair look thin and lank, so I am growing them out. No layers to me also equal tidier updos, neater and more even braiding, and shinier hair.

I have about 2- 3 inches before my last layer is completely gone.

I do however cut tendrils around my face while my bangs grow out (in front of my ears) to soften updos. When my bangs get to the same length as the tendrils I have cut (jaw length) I will probably have a stylist very carefully layer my bangs.

Gabriel
May 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I always thought I'd hate layers but my hair is so thick and I've been growing it since (with a few way too much trims in between) I've joined LHC so it's pretty long. I always had it below waist and all one length growing up but then after I turned 21 I cut it and had it cut shorter all the time until about three years ago when I started growing it.

I think if I tried to keep it all one length now, without any layers, it's so much hair, the weight of it, when pulled up would contribute to me getting more migraines... and more migraines would have to equal to me chopping off my hair.

Oh and I remember my ends being so blunt when they were one length that they would stick out more than when there are some soft layers in it. Maybe that was just my weird hair though.

KajiKodomo
May 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I have natural layers, as many know from growing out from a buzzcut 2 years ago. I just recently cut off about 3 inches to even out the layers, as it was taking my iii hair to just a few strands at the ends. My braids have bits that stick straight out and buns as well. When I had hair of a similar length a few years back without layers, I didn't have these issues. Having lived with both in my personal experience, I'm definitely happier without.

I do, however, like the little face-framing pieces I have in the front currently. They've gotten to the point where I can tuck them behind my ears, so I'm much happier with them, and they do soften updos quite a bit. I have about a 1/2 inch section on either side of my part.