PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing over your hair...

Gypsygirl
June 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I went to a new hairdresser yesterday because my own hairdresser who is also my friend is sick... and he screwed up my highlights. When I got home and took a look at them in broad daylight, I realized they were way too "golden". I called him and he was awesome- he told me he'd happily fix it for free. Of course I'm not sure I want to trust him with the redo...he was the one who screwed the pooch in the first place, right? LOL So...I decided not to do anything until my friend is ready to take care of it again. I guess I must have been not a nice person to be around because of this yesterday, kind of nasty, because after dinner my husband got all firm with me. ;) He said, stop obsessing about your hair. It's fine!! Obsessing? Hmmm... Am I really overreacting? I know it's not really important but, crap, I'm short and I don't have long, sexy legs or what have you...so I'm a freaking narcissist about my hair. There, I said it. LOL Speaking of hair, I literally think I'd pay someone to go through my hair, strand by strand, and cut off all of the split ends. I've never had so much new hair or so many split ends all at once. I hate my hair right now, and my hairdresser is ill!!! :mad:

Just needed to vent to someone who "gets it"...

RavennaNight
June 8th, 2010, 07:12 AM
The DH's never get it. We are nuts. Their obsessions with their hobbies are healthy. :lol: You like your hair a certain way, it didn't come out that way, and you want it fixed. Nothing wrong with that.:)

FrannyG
June 8th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I have had the "too golden" experience, and when you're used to a more neutral or ash shade, it is very distressing to have that yellowy gold colour in your hair.

I admit, I would be upset about it too, and likely would obsess about it to a degree until it gets fixed.

You know, most men don't see colour the way women do, so your husband likely doesn't really understand what the problem is.

I hope your friend can fix this for you soon. :blossom:

alwayssmiling
June 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I drive my OH nuts with my hair. He is forced to measure it everyday, stand around sally's whilst I look at every bottle and its ingredients, I show him pictures of hair and ask his opinions constantly. He has to take the kids out for the afternoon whilst I do my SMTs and hendigoing. And if I see breakage...well he has to be on hand to inspect my hair and convince me it looks good :liar::. My long suffering husband :love:

jane53
June 8th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Heh! I don't have a husband, long-suffering or otherwise, so when I went through a disastrous experience using olive oil on my hair this past Saturday, I posted about it here obsessively in every thread that was even remotely related to the issue. This might well be the 8th thread I've posted in about it. That dreadful, grease-dripping hair had me obsessed and worse!

Men have their own goofy obsessions. When I was married, my husband had a receding hairline. I didn't even notice or not notice it; it was a moot point to me. I thought he was a very good looking guy and his hairline had nothing to do with it. In fact, I loved it as it was and as it receded because it was part of him. But he would get furious with me for saying it didn't bother me and accuse me of lying and condescending to him. (Well, as you can see, that is a symptom of one of the problems that ultimately ended the marriage.)

jackiesjottings
June 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I don't have a DH either but I do obsess about my hair. I worry about it being thin and about my faery tale ends (don't know why as I think they look lovely on other people!). I have to tell myself stop.... your hair is nearly at your target length... five years ago it was just a dream that it would be this long again..... then a few days later... worry.. too thin... fairy tale ends....

Ansaphone
June 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I obsess now too because i really HATE how it looks like now. I have to wait for months until it will all be even and one length and it's taking toooo looong. I'm checking it in the mirror, even when I have put it back. I am obsessing all the time:(

Angeletti
June 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
my hubby sounds like yours, he told me one day just to cut my hair because he's sick of me babying it and what not... gotta love em

spidermom
June 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM
There are worse things to be obsessed about.

jera
June 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I guess we are all hair obsessed. That's why we're here. :p Men never notice things, like hair, the way women do. They focus on chests and sports scores. :D I hope you hairdresser is able to adjust your color for you successfully. You were smart not to let the guy who screwed it up in the first place redo you. You'd probably have ended up bald. :rolleyes:

Cupofmilk
June 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I loved my hair when it was really long - it was the only nice thing about me. I am no thin, pretty or whatever else we are supposed to be these days. But I had fab hair. It's been like a grieving process since I cut it off. Even though it is much better condition these days - no consolation for the sit upon length!
x

Lamb
June 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Being obsessed with hair or anything is fine, and I don't think your husband got upset because you payed too much attention to your highlights or felt down about them. But you said yourself you were rather unpleasant to be about - maybe that's what he objected to? If so, I can sympathize with him - I mean, it's not a harmless obsession if it makes you short-tempered and mean.

Beesweet
June 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I loved my hair when it was really long - it was the only nice thing about me. I am no thin, pretty or whatever else we are supposed to be these days. But I had fab hair. It's been like a grieving process since I cut it off. Even though it is much better condition these days - no consolation for the sit upon length!
x

Cupofmilk, I think you are very pretty. Your hair in your pic looks very nice, too!

Here, have some cheese:cheese: and see yourself as you really are -- super pretty with slammin' hair and a baby to boot!

Gypsygirl
June 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone for making me feel so much better! You girls rock!

Being obsessed with hair or anything is fine, and I don't think your husband got upset because you payed too much attention to your highlights or felt down about them. But you said yourself you were rather unpleasant to be about - maybe that's what he objected to? If so, I can sympathize with him - I mean, it's not a harmless obsession if it makes you short-tempered and mean.

I wasn't that bad...I hope! ;)
We talked... Turns out he was annoyed with something, too. Life... ;) He also really likes the way my hair looks now. I used to get darker highlights a couple of years ago and apparently, he never liked the really light, silver ones. Why he never told me, I really don't know! :rolleyes:

Well...we just got back from a fun night out and looking at the pictures we took, I'm not as unhappy with my hair anymore. I got a couple of compliments, too, so... ;) I guess I was just having one of those days.

Cupofmilk, I think you are beautiful. :flower:

Cupofmilk
June 9th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Cupofmilk, I think you are very pretty. Your hair in your pic looks very nice, too!

Here, have some cheese:cheese: and see yourself as you really are -- super pretty with slammin' hair and a baby to boot!

Thank you . That is kind. Make that one baby, one toddler and one preschooler.:cheese:

KahlanAmnell
June 9th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to look your best. I see quite a few people that don't even bother to bathe or get out of their pajamas at the stores. LOL

As long as it isn't all consuming, I don't see an issue with trying to make sure your hair is nice. :-)