PDA

View Full Version : I got my hair braided at a ren faire

AmandaPanda
June 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
This is something I've wanted to have done for a long time and I finally got the chance.
It was an incredibly hot day but I had a lot of fun.

This was the Virginia Renaissance Festival - Pirate Invasion weekend
Pandoraslocks.com

before:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4680118229_8a1a7d2240.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4680749872_74e4ce24b7.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4680118859_decf9212e0.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4680750908_3ca16c1066.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4680750984_d1877f0011.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4680088955_92cc81403e.jpg

I asked for something that she didn't have shown in her binders - a dutch crown braid. I had asked for two accent braids but I think she forgot because she and my bf were talking while she was braiding. She was surprised by my hair after I sat down and she turned around to start...after only seeing me from the front :) She then told me she doesn't charge extra for extreme amounts of hair. She wasn't really gentle, but I was walking around with my hair loose so it did get a bit tangled before I got there. I had this done Sat and it's now Mon night and I still have the braid in....I expect to leave it in for a couple more days :) It's very comfortable. She used a lot of gel and a fair amount of hairspray.

I'd like to get my hair done again if she goes to the Blackbeard Pirate Festival in Hampton, VA next month

Quixii
June 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Very cool! She did a nice job. :)

invisiblebabe
June 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Lovely! Your hair is one of my favorites! :flower:

Did you grow your bangs out?

jane53
June 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Very cool! Great pictures~!

Arctic_Mama
June 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM
It looks great!

TiaKitty
June 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Very nice! I've always wanted to be one of those braiders... I'd like doing that day in and day out, too.

I like it's symmetry and substance. She did a very good job, and it's flattering to your face/headshape, as well!

rapunzhell13
June 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Wow, she did it so perfect! I love those little rose pins too. Beautiful.

renarok
June 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
absolutely perfect crown braid. I am jealous, I've always wanted something like this done. :cheese:

Carolyn
June 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Very pretty. I liked seeing the in progress pics. I had no idea the center was divided like that. You look so cute in the stocks you naughty girl! :D

YesitsReal
June 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm so jealous!! This is like my ambition in life right now. It looks beautiful!

Tressie
June 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
It's just lovely! (o:

AmandaPanda
June 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I still have my bangs. i thought it would be better if they got braided in. she said it would be easier to do it that way, and the bf thought I should too...so I did :)

Thanks all!!

GlassEyes
June 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM
That looks great!

I've kind of wondered what it would be like to get my hair braided at a ren faire. I kind of shy away from it because I don't know if anyone there could handle my hair...

Aerith
June 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Gorgeousss! I really love it!

sugarpixie10988
June 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Oooo I love it! I want to go to a renaissance faire, but nobody ever wants to go with me :(. Looks like you had fun!

Jeni
June 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
That's so pretty! Was it expensive?

I wanted to bad to go this weekend but the roommate had to work, BOO! We are going next saturday though (Celtic, yay!) so it should be fun. I am thinking about getting my hair braided but I don't know, I wonder if it will look odd with the 2 toned-ness and the taper I have...

Also I'm a big weeny when it comes to pulling my hair.

clichepithet
June 7th, 2010, 10:19 PM
It's beautiful, AmandaPanda! I'd like to do this too, on my next RenFaire trip. May I ask what kind/nature of finishing pin you have in there? They look like little roses?

ladylovecraft
June 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM
This is beyond gorgeous! I'm insanely jealous, and I can't wait to have hair that I can at least vaguely attempt this with... though I may never succeed.

Gumball
June 7th, 2010, 11:05 PM
She really did do that perfectly! I'm not surprised the style is still in and still going strong! :D

Loreley
June 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
:thud: It's gorgeous!

IcarusBride
June 8th, 2010, 12:25 AM
That's gorgeous! Even though she had to use products, I'd totally have my hair done by her, it's so tidy! When I do fancy braids the sections never stay so neat. You look gorgeous!

Cinnamon Hair
June 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Wow I love all the photos and the story! The braid you chose was absolutely perfect, including the rose pins! Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

Gypsygirl
June 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Gorgeous! :) I love the rose pins- and your garb!!!

little_acorn
June 8th, 2010, 03:53 AM
That is gorgeous :D

Juanita
June 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM
That looks simply beautiful.

Alaia
June 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Wow. Really nice. The little accents are really cute and the braid is just perfect! :D

I wish I could find one in the UK.

FallenAngel
June 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Looks awsome! Very well done, and she had great material to work with!

Deb!
June 8th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Gorgeous!!!

fairytalegirl
June 8th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Wow! That looks really beautiful. I love the crown braid. It is one of my favorites. You look so great.

dropinthebucket
June 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
That looks like SOOOO much fun!! :D

freckles
June 8th, 2010, 06:35 AM
it's so neat and tidy! I wish I could braid like that :)

FrannyG
June 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Oh, that's just beautiful. :cloud9: And don't you look adorable in the stocks! :)

Dani
June 8th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Awesome! I love it. Your hair is so beautiful, and So long! I'd love to go to one of those ren-fairs. Someday I will drive, and I'll be all over them with my daughter... and we'll be fishing in rivers in western va, like, every darn day. ;) Too bad the day was so crazy hot.. it's nice this week, though. :D

cindy58
June 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
It looks great! I did it once at a Ren Faire too, I would like to do it again. While I waited for my turn, I combed my hair out so it was perfectly tangle free. The braider was surprised and happy with that! I found the wires on those little flowers to be a bit pokey -- if I remember next time I would bring some hairpins I have with little jeweled flowers on the ends.

Here's pics of my braid: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1808

dame-dancealot
June 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Its gorgeous. :) I think I remember seeing you wandering around... I took my mother and one of the things she commented about (aside from the farthingale inaccuracies) was that she wished her hair was still long so that she could have fun doing braids/more traditional hairstyles...

missmandy
June 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
It looks GREAT! I love it!

Patty lou
June 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
AmandaPanda
I just wanted to say how beautiful your hair looks and also your dress.

Patty lou

*Aoife*
June 8th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I love it! It looks amazing :D

I wish I could find someone who could do that in Ireland!!

Ivy~Rose
June 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Gorgeous!!! And it looks like the faire was fun too... Love the stocks :D

Capybara
June 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM
That is by far the best looking dutch crown braid I've ever seen! She did a great job. :)

princessp
June 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Wow, it looks awesome!

rachelily
June 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
That looks GORGEOUS! I love the little red roses. You are too cute! I've really been wanting to go back to a renaissance fair, we have one around here. I went when I was a little kid and not quite old enough to appreciate all the cool stuff. I also went in a maze and got lost and really hated that part. But now I know better!

GRU
June 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I am soooooo jealous! That looks abso-freaking-lutely gorgeous!!!

HappyHair87
June 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
That is freakin AWESOME!!!:cheese:

spidermom
June 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
What an incredibly neat job she did!

Xandergrammy
June 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
This is really beautiful! I love it. :inlove:

bahoban
June 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
woww :o is so beautiful!!!

Kelli Kat
June 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Very cool. I hope someday I can grow mine to a length to get something like that done.

jasper
June 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM
That's awesome. sorry you ended up in the stocks, though!

stiffmyster
June 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
beautiful!!

Sissy
June 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
looks great! :D

Yozhik
June 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Wow -- the updo is gorgeous -- so tidy and tight! I especially like the crown of your crown ;)
Your hair is such a nice color and length, too.

Too bad I missed the festival -- I didn't even realize one was going on! Was it very muggy, as it was in DC?

Jeni
June 9th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Wow -- the updo is gorgeous -- so tidy and tight! I especially like the crown of your crown ;)
Your hair is such a nice color and length, too.

Too bad I missed the festival -- I didn't even realize one was going on! Was it very muggy, as it was in DC?

Its in Spotsylvania. This weekend is the last weekend, Celtic Heritage or something.

Sarahmoon
June 9th, 2010, 12:19 AM
:thud:

Did they put you in the pillory for looking too dangerously good? :laugh:

KahlanAmnell
June 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM
So pretty! How long did it take her to do?

jel
June 9th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Looking good! :D

The braid is very neat and tidy, and it suits you so well!

magpielaura
June 9th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I love that braid... I wish I could do something like that on myself but I think it would be near impossible to do, even if I could hold my arms up long enough to do even a partial dutch braid!

Chamomile betty
June 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Beautiful hair AmandaPanda. Love your outfit too.

Merlin
June 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
:thud:

Did they put you in the pillory for looking too dangerously good? :laugh:

It was the easiest way to show off the top of her head! Either that or it was the only way to stop her fiddling with it.

goodenough
June 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I'm so glad you got to enjoy that great experience-I bet you feel like a princess! I love taking my kids to faires. Such a fun day to just give in and be a kid.

TrudieCat
June 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Wow, your hair - both down, and in this gorgeous updo - is stunning!!

AmandaPanda
June 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks again :)
I still have the braid in

It did take a while. I'm not sure how long exactly since we didn't have a watch/clock etc. I'd guesstimate about 30-45 mins

I don't think it was expensive. This particular braid cost $25. I gave her a tip too, for having to deal with my thick tangled hair ;) and since I asked for something that wasn't "advertised".

I actually brought a comb with me, and had to wait about 10 mins for her to finish up with someone else before getting to me. It totally didn't occur to me to try combing it out while waiting. Duh! I'll remember that next time. Also, she did comb it before she started but since she flipped my hair around a little and had to keep separating it, the movement made it tangle anyway

yellowchariot
June 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
That's spectacular, AmandaPanda! I have to agree, that is the BEST dutch crown I've ever seen! It always amazes me how braiders can get the hair to be perfectly smooth and tight without any hairs sticking out of place! Rock on! :thumbsup:

Jeni
June 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Oh wow, $25 is definitely not a bad price! Ok I might have to seriously consider getting my hair braided on Saturday. I wish my hair was longer/thicker, I would totally be copying your 'do...

AmandaPanda
June 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ok I had to add these

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4680749460_f76f902444.jpg
My guy is on the left. The guy on the right was really good. He had the Jack Sparrow mannerisms down and everything. He said he even used real gold on his teeth. Bf is 5'5" and looks really short :P

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4680120423_f769b0eab4.jpg
Bad pirate! no booty!

Jeni
June 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Bad pirate! no booty!

:spitting: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jeni
June 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Got my hair braided at the ren faire today. I love it! I went with the lace crown braid and it looks so cute! My roommate got the "infinity braid" (I think it was called), very cool looking.

Oh AmandaPanda I told her I had heard about her from you on this forum, she remembered you. I was told to tell you she is sorry she forgot your twists but she is glad to know you liked the braid and that is lasted for awhile.

zeldagirl7491
June 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I saw a lot of people with hair like that at the Tennessee renaissance festival in May. So lovely!
It was also pirate invasion weekend when I went. :)

GRU
June 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Got my hair braided at the ren faire today. I love it! I went with the lace crown braid and it looks so cute! My roommate got the "infinity braid" (I think it was called), very cool looking.

So where are the pictures???

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/smiley-signs083.gif

curlylocks85
June 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Oh, how I long for that to be me. She did a wonderful job. Your hair is beautiful.

windinherhair
June 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM
What a gorgeous updo! It turned out beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!

Jeni
June 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
So where are the pictures???

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/smiley-signs083.gif

I will try to get a picture of my head, not easy.

I have to say that while a lace braid is not the most "hearty" of braids when it comes to staying nice looking, with the amount of gel and hairspray she used I think this thing could last me at least a week.

Unfortunately my head is itching up a storm (it does that) so I will probably take it down...If I can figure out how :confused:. Maybe I will try washing it first, see if that helps the itch.

Newniepg
June 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
That really is a perfect crown braid! It's so gobsmackingly neat and tidy. the pins are very pretty, they go so well with your dark hair. I don't know of any ren faires in the uk or I'd be wanting to go just so I could get my hair perfectly braided.

Igor
June 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Beautiful! I enjoyed that! :cheese:

Jeni
June 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Ok here are some (not great) pictures. The crown braid is me and this is after I washed my hair so it is not a smooth as is was. Very comfertable though!

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7725/img2922b.jpg

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6646/img2928r.jpg

This is my roommates hair. I only got 1 one picture of her hair but I think it turned out well. It might be hard to tell what is happening but the braid starts on the top of her hair on her left side. It then snakes back and forth down her head. I really like this style and think I will get it the next time I go.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6642/gillianj.jpg

Err, sorry they are bigger then I exspected!!! No idea how to fix that.

GRU
June 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Omigosh, those are gorgeous too! How do they get everything so dang perfect????

Looks like I might have to make a trip to a ren faire this summer, just for the amazing braid-job!!!

jessie58
June 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
It's so beautiful, I'd love to get mine done. I also like your outfit.

AmandaPanda
June 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Oh AmandaPanda I told her I had heard about her from you on this forum, she remembered you. I was told to tell you she is sorry she forgot your twists but she is glad to know you liked the braid and that is lasted for awhile.

Your hair looks great!
I finally took mine out Sat. I went swimming and it started falling out.

:thumbsup:

Lilacs
June 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Oh, it's so beautiful!

adiapalic
June 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
wow! That was done so beautifully! :thud:

Jeni
June 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Your hair looks great!
I finally took mine out Sat. I went swimming and it started falling out.

:thumbsup:

I took mine out yesterday, my head just itched too bad to leave it in. I think my issue was probably the bobby pins. I am very sensitive to nickel so... I think next time I will get the one my roommate got, doesn't require many pins.

My roommate's do is still going strong apparently.

Luckysock
June 14th, 2010, 05:57 PM
They did a beautiful job! Its so smooth and even - really nice!

freecelt
June 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Very pretty Amanda! *wishes I could braid like that :) *

JuneBride
October 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
So Cool !!!!

Little_Bird
October 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
It looks beautyfull :flower: I knew they used gel and spray to make those braids so neat! No matter how much I tried, I never could do it so beautyfully on my sister's hair.

Oh well... Hopefully you can get it done again :) I wish there were faires with braiders where I live...

pepperminttea
October 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Oh envy, I wish ren faires with braiding stalls existed this side of the pond - it's gorgeous!

Schipperchow
October 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
That is a beautiful braid. I really like the rose pins:)

bellawave
October 3rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
OMG that is gorgeous. I want to be able to wear that style but I have a lot of length to grow yet. Someday though!

paperwhite
October 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
I had my hair done in the same style at the Ren Fest this year, but it didn't look nearly as substantial as the OP's! It's beautiful and I love the little accent flowers :) The pictures of mine are in limbo somewhere on my camera's memory card... :p

hmmm
October 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Oh envy, I wish ren faires with braiding stalls existed this side of the pond - it's gorgeous!

Teehee, pond! :silly:

It looks so neat, I wonder if anyone can make it look that neat by themselves. I like the last picture, would anyone do their hair up like that if they were going to be guillotine'd?

LouLaLa
October 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Beautiful! My goal is one day to have enough hair to do a dutch crown. Oh its so pretty!

I never say "envy"as I think beautiful people deserve their beautiful hair :flower:

I adore the little roses such a lovely contrast to your colour! I love how she got the centre so even too, it looks amazing.