PDA

View Full Version : Video Tutorial --The Stay-in Swimming, Working Out, Etc. Bun

Cinnamon Hair
June 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Another new thread from me in just the past few days. :o Hope that doesn't make me too much of a board hog.

This is the bun I wear for swimming, working out, or doing anything physical where I can't stop to readjust my hair. YouTube video link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRgZuXse5o)

I tried to minimize the southern accent, but I don't think it worked. :p Oh well.

Description: This is the perfect bun for times when you absolutely cannot mess with your hair. Great for swimming, working out, physical stuff, and possibly even headbanging :)

Make a ponytail at the crown using a non-metal pony elastic. Braid the length and tie off with another ponytail elastic if you wish or leave the ends loose. Twist the length and wrap around the ponytail base like a cinnamon bun. Secure with 2 or 3 strong claw clips that have a tight spring. Be sure to grab hair from the scalp and the bun with each claw clip then squeeze it closed.

If you plan to swim in chlorinated water or salt water you should wet your hair first and put in lots of silicone conditioner to protect it from the pool/ocean. Fresh water found in lakes is ok for hair, so no need to protect it from that.

A good conditioner is L'Oreal Mega Moisture in the yellow tub from Sally's Beauty Supply or Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner found at drug stores like Walgreen's and CVS.

Buffs (made popular on the show Survivor) can be found here.
http://www.planetbuff.com

My dog Chloe makes a cameo appearance. See if you can spot her. :)

jane53
June 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Now I wish I had sound on my computer at home so I could hear your accent! I'm in the deep south, so I'm sure it would sound familiar!

Beautiful hair, excellent updo! Thanks!

hendrix.co
June 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Aww Cinn I love your accent and your hair!! Thanks for the share.

Arctic_Mama
June 8th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Have you noticed any issues with having an elastic at the base, or has it not caused any pulling or breakage? Elastics always give me a headache and I worry about damage too. I suppose the clips might help take some of the weight off the base of the ponytail?

Loreley
June 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Great video! I always wore this bun when we went to the beach in my childhood, it's very secure. :)

Cinnamon Hair
June 8th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the comment everyone!

Arctic Mama, I don't notice any pulling with the elastic once I get the braid bunned. While it is hanging it pulls, but any high ponytail does that to me. Also, I don't wrap the elastic super tight.. just twice. It could go 3 times if I stretched it but then it would be way too tight.
Don't you hate that about elastics? They are all either loose on two wraps or tight on three.

Arctic_Mama
June 8th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Yup, that is exactly the problem I have. Two isn't tight enough but three yanks like crazy, so I used to just settle for yanking like crazy! A ponytail was my default hairstyle for years :o

Learning_Mum
June 8th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Don't minimise your accent! I love it! I thought how gorgeous it was the second I first heard you speaking!

Gothic Lolita
June 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Neat bun! I'll be trying it when going for a swim next time. I went swimming last weekend and nearly had to cut off afew streaks because they tangled so badly although they were in a braid. I never had the idea of twisting the braid, which is probably why my braided buns always fall out after a few minutes!

emmabovary
June 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I love your accent! I wonder if my hair is long enough to pull off that bun, though.