PDA

View Full Version : My newest obsession--nape curls!

Domino
June 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone!

Today I did an improvised bun for my birthday which looked something like a flower. As the hours passed by I realized I have these shorter hairs at the nape, and I have a lot of them but they are almost straight. Soooo I had this idea: What if I get a very tight perm on those wispies and then get them cut to about 2-2.5 inches? I'm guessing that would look cute in updos and if I didn't like it I wouldn't have too much trouble hiding it.

What do you think? :cheese:

ETA: Please post pics if you have shorter curls at the nape! :)

Iron0Maiden
June 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
that sounds cute! lke on little babydolls :)

Domino
June 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I mean kinda like this but with tight corkscrew curls:

http://www.promdresses1.com/dresses/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/natural-curly-hair-updos-15.jpg

missfortune9335
June 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
you could try doing pin curls on the hair at your nape, then you wouldn't have to perm... I think it will look great though!

Domino
June 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I want it tighter than I can pin-curl :o I imagined the curls with the diameter of a pencil, my hair doesn't naturally hold that much of curl. The undersides are pretty straight, like 1b/1c.

If it goes horribly wrong...well it'll be just 2 inches.

Toothe
June 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Mine will curl themselves up if I just wet my fingers and slide them along the wisps. I do that around my face sometimes too. I don't know if yours would do that-- mine want to be naturally curly, but just turn into sad frizz without some help with definition.

hoosiermama
June 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm with the others in saying try some kind of pin curl. Heck, try actual pencils! I think perming whispy hair is a bad idea. Perming solution is very harsh on hair. The entire purpose of it is to break the sulfur bonds in the hair on a molecular level and then "put them back together" in the new shape of the perming rod. On hair that is so fine to begin with, a perm is more likely to just "melt" the hair off at the hair line than to acutally curl it into a tight little curl like you're wanting.

maybe try experimenting with different "curlers". Pencils, fluffly pipe cleaners maybe folded over on themselves till you get the size you want, cotton cord in the diameter your wanting... Use end papers to keep the ends smoothe and limit friz. Very lightly moisten and roll up hair. Then give it a shot of hot air from a hair dryer or regular air dry. I think the hair dryer would be less damaging than perming solution.

Hope you get the look you're after! Good luck!

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Perms seldom "melt" hair unless it has been damaged previously by multiple chemical processes. And the fine hair does just as well as thicker hair. Hair is actually quite resilient and those little hairs on the nape of your neck would probably turn out perfectly okay. The question is, how often will you be wearing your hair up for people to be able to see them ? It the answer is once a week it would be easy to use small rollers for the desired effect. But if you wear your hair up often, then I would consider the perm, it would be worth it and it's a very small amount of hair.
You seem so excited about it, I would do it !

EvaSimone
June 8th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I have nape hairs that curl if the stars align and the humidity is right, but they are loose ringlets not tight ones. You can see them in my sig pic. :)

I agree with Ultrabella if you would be showing them off all the time then go ahead and get a perm. Otherwise I would just use a small barrelled curling iron.

emmabovary
June 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Funny, for me the nape hairs and underside have always been the most tight curls prone part of my hair :)

Boudicca
June 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
My nape curls drive me up the wall! They do the little Austen-y ringlet thing of their own accord, but I always feel they make my buns untidy.

I would guess that the best way to get them on straight hair would be to pin curl the nape hair.

angelperception
June 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I think it would turn out great!

berr
June 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Perms seldom "melt" hair unless it has been damaged previously by multiple chemical processes. And the fine hair does just as well as thicker hair. Hair is actually quite resilient and those little hairs on the nape of your neck would probably turn out perfectly okay. The question is, how often will you be wearing your hair up for people to be able to see them ? It the answer is once a week it would be easy to use small rollers for the desired effect. But if you wear your hair up often, then I would consider the perm, it would be worth it and it's a very small amount of hair.
You seem so excited about it, I would do it !

I wish the nincompoop that melted every other rod on my head didn't use whatever she used. They too, said it must be my hair. Unprocessed virgin hair on the top and she melted my hair off on every other rod. It felt like I'd gone several days without shaving my legs ON MY SCALP. If I ran my fingers through my hair masses of it would break off at the scalp. I rushed to another stylist who was horrified and immediately starting trying to deactivate the perm solution so no more breakage would occur.

It took a long time for that to grow out. I'll never have another perm.

GRU
June 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
If you decide to do this, PERM FIRST AND CUT SECOND!!!

People who don't have tightly curled hair really don't comprehend just how much "shrinkage" factors into the equation. You can always cut more off if it's too long, but when your 2" strands curl-shrink down to half an inch, you're going to have a loooooong wait to get your 2" length back!

Don't believe me? Wrap a piece of your ends around a pencil to get your desired effect length- and curl-wise, then remove the pencil and measure how much hair really was used!!!

SurprisingWoman
June 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
My hair is straight but my nape curls are curly, curly. I would trade you in a minute!

I put my hair in a bun and leave it up all day. At the end of the day my nape curls are VERY tangled.

I wouldn't allow perm solution around my hair before trying every other avenue.

good luck and WE NEED PICS! ;)

Domino
June 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
It ended up as an experiment. I got 3 tiny pieces permed and cut at the nape and one above my ear on the left. The stylist used the strongest solution and did the whole perming thing TWICE. It looked cute after that, then we cut those permed strands.
Even my boyfriend said it looked lovely, and he doesn't like curls that much. Then...after I washed it 2 days later...the whole perming effect was GONE! And I seriously mean it, the "curls" were just back to their regular selves.
Looks like henna really makes the process much, much difficult because it lowers the porosity of hair. At first they looked very cute though :o

Fractalsofhair
June 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Aww! That's not good that they didn't work, but I love how they look. Mine are straight as well, but I get side curls at the side of my face, which look nice, till I accidentally comb my hair or something along those lines! xD

IndigoAsh
June 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM
i vote for a pencil and hairspray. The nape hairs don't get long anyway and they will probably shed fast.