PDA

View Full Version : help me to wear a mid-height ponytail?

freckles
June 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi guys :)
When my hair was a tiny bit shorter, I used to really like to wear a mid-height or high ponytail. They look great on longer hair because they're so swishy! :D
However, at my current length, I CANNOT get a ponytail to stay 'mid height' on me at all! Every ponytail ends up pulled down by it's own weight and settling in around the nape of my neck within a few minutes :( I guess it's a combination of the weight and the slippiness of my hair, but are there any tips that people here use in order to wear higher ponytails?
I've tried thicker and narrower elastics/bobbles, I've tried those plastic ones that are very skinny and tight, and I've tried the scunci 'no slip grip' ones with silicon on the inside, but none of them worked :(
Are mid-height/high ponytails just something that people with long hair can't wear without re-doing every five minutes, or is there a trick to it?
Thanks in advance for any help. It's a small issue, but one that's been bothering me :p

jane53
June 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I have hip length hair and I achieve a mid-height ponytail by making a very high ponytail which then quickly settles at mid-height. Don't know if this will work for you. Good luck!

Pallas
June 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
When I was younger and my hair quite long, I always wore two elastics. One big one and a thinner and narrower one over it, or the other way around. Sometimes even more then two. That seemed to help...

Magdalene
June 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I can't do mid-height at all- it doesn't balance well and hurts. I do a high ponytail with those really fat snag-free elastics by goody- I do have to tighten it periodically.

Quixii
June 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM
D: Sorry, I have no problems doing high or mid-height ponytails. I rarely seem to have the slipping problem that a lot of people have. Maybe because I tie the elastics too tight? :shrug:

Curlsgirl
June 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have only been able to wear this this summer and sometimes not for a long time because of headaches. My hair is not slippery though could that be a reason why yours doesn't stay? I do have to get the right size elastic though and sometimes it's hit or miss. Today I bought some cheap scrunchies at lunch and am so happy because they are JUST the right size to wrap around my hair twice and not hurt! :D

stuntpeople
June 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I have the same problem when I'm doing gymnastics especially. Scunci has some grippy elsatics that are new, they have a spiral around the band. I bought mine at Target. I'll post a link once I know exactly what they are.

freckles
June 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM
thanks guys for your quick responses :)

I have hip length hair and I achieve a mid-height ponytail by making a very high ponytail which then quickly settles at mid-height. Don't know if this will work for you. Good luck!
I'll definitely try this! Because my hair is so straight and fine I think the hair pulled taut on the scalp will go a bit 'bumpy' if it changes position though. If that makes any sense at all. :o

When I was younger and my hair quite long, I always wore two elastics. One big one and a thinner and narrower one over it, or the other way around. Sometimes even more then two. That seemed to help...
I'll give this a go, too!

I can't do mid-height at all- it doesn't balance well and hurts. I do a high ponytail with those really fat snag-free elastics by goody- I do have to tighten it periodically.
I'd be fine with tightening it, but it falls down so much I have to re-do it, and it happens so quickly (~ every five minutes) that it's just not worth it. :shrug: thankyou for your input. :)

D: Sorry, I have no problems doing high or mid-height ponytails. I rarely seem to have the slipping problem that a lot of people have. Maybe because I tie the elastics too tight? :shrug:
I tie the elastics as tight as I physically can. I know that's damaging, but, damage be damned, I want my ponytail back :p

I have only been able to wear this this summer and sometimes not for a long time because of headaches. My hair is not slippery though could that be a reason why yours doesn't stay? I do have to get the right size elastic though and sometimes it's hit or miss. Today I bought some cheap scrunchies at lunch and am so happy because they are JUST the right size to wrap around my hair twice and not hurt! :D
I don't really know if my hair is slippery compared to other people's. I don't touch many people's hair -- at least, all the people whose hair I do touch have vastly different hair types to me (coarse/curly) or very very short hair (less than an inch). But maybe my hair IS slippery. It is very fine, and it seems like fine-ness and slippery-ness would go together, but that's just a guess? :confused:

I have the same problem when I'm doing gymnastics especially. Scunci has some grippy elsatics that are new, they have a spiral around the band. I bought mine at Target. I'll post a link once I know exactly what they are.
They're scunci 'no-slip grip', and I bought them hoping that they would solve this exact problem, but, no luck :(

Amraann
June 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have the same problem. Doing what Jane suggested works for me. I do have to fix it every so often because it will keep sliding during the day.
Although not as much if it a few days after washing as it does when it is freshly washed.
I do not like my bands to tight because A)it hurts and B) I am afraid it will cause breakage.

Maybe something like some Aloe Gel would help stop some of the slip?
Or maybe a bobby pin or two under the band to help hold it?

Juneii
June 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Definitely give the two elastics a go! That's what I do too. My hair is too slippery and falls down eventually with gravity but this helps a lot!

PiroskaCicu
June 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have a special elastic that is by Ouch-free Goody I believe, it has no metal but it's extremely STRONG. I buy the one that's made for active people/sports so it stays really well high up. When my hair was near waist it still worked then..... I would occasionally have to redo it but not often! Good luck, hope you find something similar...

frizzalot
June 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I use two hair elastics, this works for me.

My sister, whos hair is way thicker than mine, she uses those tiny jaw clips horizontally on the hair elastic and half in her scalp hair. it seems to work for her.

fairytalegirl
June 8th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I put a claw clip underneath for support. My hair hides it and it works great. I know some people don't like them but they work for me.

Sylvanas
June 8th, 2010, 06:21 AM
My hair is thick and heavy, but I've never had trouble making a high or mid-height ponytail. What I do is bend down first, comb out any bumps, and then secure with an elastic (of any kind) while my head is still upside down. If I make it while standing up straight, it will just slide down, unless the elastic is insanely tight.