PDA

View Full Version : Braid or Ponytail?

Jason
May 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
It seems I'm somewhat of a rarity when it comes to how men with long hair generally wear their hair when going out. I braid mine 98% of the time. I not a huge fan of how a ponytail looks on me and I also find my hair is far more tangled when I wear one. I like how the braid looks and I think it protects my hair better.

I'm curious how women and men feel about this. Given a choice between a braid and a ponytail which do you usually wear? I know some usually wear their hair loose when going out but this survey is just including the two options.

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Right now I wear a ponytail but only because I can't braid it yet. I love braids, and prefer them over any other up/contained style.

AJoifulNoise
May 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM
My hair loses its mind when it's in a ponytail. The part by my neck kinda curls up and poofs while the ends go off and do their own thing. So, I prefer braids.

Lixie
May 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Almost always a braid. My ponytails get tangled really fast, plus it's often too windy here to wear one out. If I start off with a ponytail, I usually end up braiding it.

Periwinkle
May 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Ponytail, though recently, since I learned to French braid, I've been doing a lot of those.

florenonite
May 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
At the moment, ponytails, but only because my hair's not long enough for braids to stay in.

granitbaby
May 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Braids. Ponytails tend to give my hair terrible tangles, even at this short length (21".)

HollowHannah
May 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I hardly ever wear pontails because my hair tangles like crazy and it means uneccesary brushing. I used to just plait (braid for those over the pond) it but since I've learned all sorts of fancy new hair tricks with the aid of my grandma, I use a failsafe french plait 99% of the time. I think it looks prettier too.

thankyousir74
May 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I also have heard that braids do protect better, though at the moment my hair is layered and rather short as well, barely being able to support a french braid. as the months go by though, braids will probably become my friend.

Phalaenopsis
May 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Braid, because the centered weight of my ponytail tugs on my head. But ponytails are easier to do though.

Haldir
May 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'd prefer going out with a braid than a ponytail, but I'm just too lazy to do it... so if I walk out of the house with my hair up (rare... I'm usually too lazy to do even that so I just leave it all out and wild) it would be in a ponytail.

lorig713
May 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Old news to those of you who know me-->I almost always wear a single braid. Keeps the tangles to a minimum.

Nimue10
May 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I love braids too! But generally this means that I love braids on other people. I was so excited recently when I was able to make a small braid. I've never had long hair before, right now it's longer than it's ever been.

psvzum
May 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I would definately wear a braid if my bangs would incorporate themselves into it but they hang loose. I know I could pin them back but they always seem to get loose. Given the choice between a ponytail and braid I'd have to choose ponytail for now.

swanns
May 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
My hair looks absolutely ridiculous in a ponytail, i just gets all over the place.

Medievalhair
May 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Braid, It's always a good back up when my hair doesn't what to behave.

KaeleyAnne
May 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Definitely a braid for me. I love the way that they look. I occasionally wear a ponytail, but not very often. I can't have a very low ponytail because my hair will tangle right below the ponytail holder.

mitabird
May 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't usually wear either, but I'd choose a braid over a ponytail.

SweetPea88
May 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Braid, definitely.

My hair gets messy very quick in a pony and the weight tends to hurt my head. I also just love the look of braids and there are so many variations to play with!

Rebelkat
May 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
For me, it depends on the season. During Spring, Fall, and Summer, I ride motorcycles alot, so I wear it in a braid most of the time. When I'm not riding, however, I usually wear it in a ponytail because it's quicker.

OR Cowgirl
May 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
If I'm wearing a ponytail I might as well wear it loose. The tangles will be about the same! If I'm not wearing an updo then I'm wearing a braid. Virtually no tangles!

harley mama
May 11th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I wear a braid. I have the same issue Jason. If I wear a low ponytail I get a lot of tangles.
It is easier to either braid or twist up and stab a stick through it.

PseudoScot
May 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Braid! Ponytails leave it all loose and it tangles so easily. A braid keeps it all back off my face and constrained a bit better which I infinitely prefer.

teela1978
May 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ponytail... but my hair isn't very long at the moment and my dinky braid looks silly.

Gumball
May 11th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm definitely a braider. Braids look better on me and they are much nicer to my hair. I'll happily stick with them or another contained style. I get less tangles and less irritation that way.

Angellen
May 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Braid for me too. As I get longer, I'm finding that braids are really a must.

Ashley
May 12th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I love the look of braids, and I definitely prefer them over ponytails. :) The only downside is that I still feel 'vulnerable' without my hair being 'contained' like with updos when I braid, and it eats my length so I still have the idea I do not classify as a true long hair with a BSL braid. ;)

pinkprincess
May 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM
i voted ponytail, though i much prefer braids but my hairs still quite shaped round the front so most of it falls out

Indigo Girl
May 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Hi Ashley :waving:

Braids contain my hair better, and protect it longer. When I wear ponytails I get breakage faster on my ends.

Nat242
May 12th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I prefer braids, for all the aforementioned reasons: my hair gets less tangled, it looks neater, it's more protective, and I like the way it looks.

My partner, however, with his APL+ hair prefers pony tails. I often braid it after I detangle his hair so it doesn't get tangled at night, or just because I want to practice a new braid (he's good like that) but he won't wear braids out of the house. He says he doesn't like the heaviness of a braid - the pony is more loose and free and light, I guess :shrug:

I'm working on it ;)

-- Natalie

Laululintu
May 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Ever since I passed waist length, I haven't been able to wear ponytails for long without a massive tangle forming on the underside. So that's why my hair's braided 99% of the time.

Jaime
May 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Ponytail, but segmented to keep it under control. I tend to agree that a braid would probably look better, but I'm still learning !

8) Jim

SearMeCarefully
May 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I love braids.. ponytails not so much (unless its a braided ponytail =p ) my hair seems too..poofy to pull off a nice ponytail I think

Elle
May 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Being that I can't braid my own hair, I chose a ponytail. Although a braid protects my hair much better from tangles, I prefer the look of a full, loose ponytail. :)

Nynaeve
May 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I prefer a braid. I usually only have time for a ponytail or a bun, though. :(
If I have the time, I do a braid.

daydreamer
May 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM
My usual hairstyle is a braid -- easy to do and it keeps it bound up, unlike a ponytail which for me just gets horribly tangled.

Sarahmoon
May 13th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I always used to wear a ponytail because I was always in a hurry in the morning, didn't really know how to do more complex styles and actually couldn't care less.
Now, I prefer a braid. I think it looks nicer and protects my hair way, way, way better. And it makes it look 1c-2a'ish when I take the braid out ;)

yogachic
May 13th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I chose ponytail, but its actually a messy bun. I never wear a braid out. Maybe when my hair gets longer i will.

Amoretti
May 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Neither, but if I had to choose it would be a braid. Ponytails are too schoolgirlish on me and cause so many tangles. I'm not a huge fan of the braided look on me either and that's why I wear updos.
For men it's a different story though. I don't really like ponytails on men either (especially high ones) but I love braids and updos. :)

VikingJarl
May 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I've been wearing braids every day for a week now! I never put my hair up before, but reading is learning and this forum has certainly helped:-) I prefer braids over ponytails for sure. Looking forward to learning some new ones, my herringbone braids are poor at the moment.

Anje
May 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Braid, for me. I used to live in ponytails, but since I discovered quite a bit of breakage where they were tied a while back, I swore off all ponytail-based styles for a year. That's well over now, but I still prefer braids. Better containment, fewer tangles, and relatively few of them. I'm wearing one now.

hrimfaxi
May 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Regardless of how it looks, I wore my hair in a ponytail 24/7 for years and so all of my hair is broken off in the same place, about 6" from my ends (I kept my hair shorter then). When I decided to grow my hair out, I noted this breakage and pretty much stopped wearing ponytails ever--I am now extremely leery of their ability to damage my hair.

These days I tend to wear my hair in a bun when out, but if I go out and it's not in a bun, it's in a braid, as I can vary the length and therefore the location of the hair tie. I also feel that tying off a braid is not as inherently stressful to the hair as tying a ponytail, because the latter also involves holding the hair in a bent shape and therefore there is more stress involved.

Islandgrrl
May 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Braid. I never wear ponytails because they don't protect my hair enough. All that loose hair just left to tangle and blow in the wind....bah!

AmandaPanda
May 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I've been doing a single braid a bit more often than I used to. Double braids work best for me because the hairs don't stick out as much and won't tangle. My hair can tangle in a single braid if I don't take it out after a while to redo it.

I never wear a ponytail. The part of the ponytail rubbing against my back will tangle like mad. Plus, the weight of my hair makes the ponytail droop (so it just looks sad). I'd hate to tie the elastic too tight because I don't want to cause breakage. A low ponytail would work better, but that'll cause even more tangles than a higher placed pony.

If I need to restrain my hair, I'll do a bun most of the time.

zaftig2k
May 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I like ponytails. They have been my favorite hair do since I was 3 yrs old. I guess it's a 1950's thing. :) As far going out, if I could put my hair in a braid I would, but I can't braid my own hair to save my soul, so ponytail it is.

Nynaeve
May 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Braid, for me. I used to live in ponytails, but since I discovered quite a bit of breakage where they were tied a while back, I swore off all ponytail-based styles for a year. That's well over now, but I still prefer braids. Better containment, fewer tangles, and relatively few of them. I'm wearing one now.

Same exact thing for me. I swore off ponytails for two years. Since then I've worn my hair in a ponytail maybe ... 3 or 4 times. :cheese:

Alun
May 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I mostly leave my hair loose, but I braid it far more often than I put it in a ponytail. I think you need more hair for a braid than for a ponytail, though, unless your hair is thick and blunt cut. Mine is thin and fine and very tapered, so I felt I had to have it much longer before I was comfortable with the way it looked when braided. I guess I just think that a thin and short braid looks a little strange.

For some time now, though, I have felt that I do have 'enough' hair for a braid to look good, so I feel comfortable with the style. Maybe one reason I still won't go anywhere with my hair in a bun is that it virtually disappears if I try that!

To give some idea of what I am talking about, my hair is so tapered that I can get a few hairs (literally) down to my tailbone if I stretch out the waves, but there is still only a small central area of my hair that will reach my waist. If I braid it, either the end looks like a microbraid, and that's only if I can get the three parts even enough to be able to braid down that far, or more often I have quite a few inches left below where I tie it (which probably looks better anyway).

I am OK with how it looks now at this length, but when my hair was at the middle of my back I just didn't like the look of my braid, whereas I think if someone has thicker and/or less tapered hair they can braid it at that length, or less, and it looks fine.

I'm obviously having a hard time explaining what I mean. Hope it makes sense.

karenpetal
May 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Braid for me too - I used to be a ponytail guy but after joining LHC and learning french braiding have become a braid convert

enitsirk
May 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Braid braid braid!
Or Bun but, you know =p

A ponytail is almost as bad as being loose- it constantly gets in the way.

China Cat Sunflower
May 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
It seems I'm somewhat of a rarity when it comes to how men with long hair generally wear their hair when going out. I braid mine 98% of the time. I not a huge fan of how a ponytail looks on me and I also find my hair is far more tangled when I wear one. I like how the braid looks and I think it protects my hair better.

I'm curious how women and men feel about this. Given a choice between a braid and a ponytail which do you usually wear? I know some usually wear their hair loose when going out but this survey is just including the two options.

love the hair :cheese:

akka naeda
May 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM
I never wear ponytails now as they cause too many tangles.

Delenn
May 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM

I wear a braid simply because a ponytail ends up slipping down on my head and then the hair tangles around my neck area. So I may as well braid it and be done with it.

Two of my longhaired boyfriends in the past were braid wearers, one guy was able to braid himself (he had the most amazing hair, a nice thick braid to his waist, total hair envy on my part) and the other I had to do it for him. If I wasn't around he just did a ponytail. And then one guy I dated had really thin long hair that he just wore in a ponytail because he didn't like how his thin braid looked, but he would've preferred a braid.

Shorty89
May 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
I prefer the look of a long ponytail on me and wear it often when dancing, but I do braids more often because they don't pull my scalp hair like ponytails tend to do.

savi
May 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM
A braided ponytail. I like the look.
I like braiding more and there's a nice variety of braids that one can do so that's where my vote vent.

Saranne772
May 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
I dont like to wear either out and about much. But out of the two I would choose a ponytail at the base of my neck. Braids never stay neat- all the ends stick out all the way down after a few hours.

talula_fairie
May 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
I don't usually wear either, but I prefer braids to ponytails when my hair is long. My hair is so heavy that ponytails hurt my scalp.

Irishred
May 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
My hair loses its mind when it's in a ponytail. The part by my neck kinda curls up and poofs while the ends go off and do their own thing. So, I prefer braids.

I was trying to think how to describe this when I read your post.

I way prefer a braid. I will wear a pony tail on rare occasions but prefer a half up. A pony is so similar as being loose, at least it has been since about mid back for me, but in a pony the nape tends to tangle more. And it does that poof thing.

Robbi Dehlinger
May 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Mine is still mostly at "down level" But would love to have a long HIGH ponytail. Also would like a braid, but THGAT will require learning to do so???

HairColoredHair
May 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Braid, unless I'm sure I'm not getting it in wind, people, cars, crowds... er... I don't like ponytails.

AprilElf
May 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Braids (and updos) for me!
Ponytails get too tangly and ouchy, but I think a wrapped ponytail (like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5103)) would be something I could wear regularly. I really like the look of it, just haven't tried it yet. :)

KaeleyAnne
May 24th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Braids (and updos) for me!
Ponytails get too tangly and ouchy, but I think a wrapped ponytail (like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5103)) would be something I could wear regularly. I really like the look of it, just haven't tried it yet. :)

The wrapped ponytail intrigues me as well - it looks like a ponytail, but it hopefully won't tangle as easily. I also plan to try it sometime. :)

kate46
May 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I voted ponytail but only because for one i'm rubbish at braiding and secondly a braid on me looks way too skinny :-(

Tap Dancer
May 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I love ponytails. I wear them all the time.

Lillian
May 25th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Definately a braid for me, I haven't worn a ponytail for years.

MadHatter
May 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I do a ponytail more often, though my hair does better when it's been in a braid.
:lazy:

julya
May 27th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I almost never do ponytails, at this length I get too many tangles.

silverwoods
May 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Ponytail. However, I often reserve some hair and do a thin braid or two with some ribbon in it (got the idea from Braveheart actually).

Les
May 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Tough question.

My hair spends most of its time in a ponytail. I prefer to wear a braid, though I don't like the braidwaves it leaves behind. Also, my wife finds braids or up-dos too "unconventional" and doesn't like it when I wear them out of the house.... so I only do that when she isn't watching ;)

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I haven't worn a ponytail in so long! I rarely wear a braid out of the house, but I have done it more than once. I wear it in a bun more often than not. But I just say no to ponytails. I really never thought much about it. Hmmmm.

Wanderer09
May 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM
I adore the look of braids but I can't do them properly on my own hair because of the layers. So it's buns or ponytails for me.

eadwine
June 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
I wear buns, but if I have to choose between the two options: braid any day.

Ponytails just tangle too much.

Cantabile
June 1st, 2008, 03:37 AM
Well, I lean towards braids because it keeps my growing bangs (chin length) off my face. But low ponytails are also convenient when I don't feel like separating my hair into strands...Yes, I AM just that lazy! :D

Trollkona
June 1st, 2008, 03:56 AM
I prefer to wear it in a braid beacuse ponytails = tangles :( So ponytails is something I only do if I have to get my hair out of the way quickly

k_hepburn
June 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
I used to wear high ponytails, held up by a tightly wound scrunchy quite a lot. But then the weight of my hair just got too much for that style, the ponytail would tend to pull loose and sag almost immediately. Then, when I took up running, I worked out that a braid was the best style during that kind of activity for me, and that got me started putting my hair in a braid. At first just for the runs, but then I discovered I actually quite like the look of that style, plus my fingers were getting a little better at braiding with more practice, so these days wearing a braid is my prime alternative to wearing my hair up in a bun when leaving the house. My preferred style of braid is a two-elastic-whip-braid :D.

katharine

nissamholtz
June 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Braids look better, but do not always have the time to do it.

Duchess of Erat
June 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
A braided ponytail is the only thing I wear out, and only if I'm going to play badminton.

If I could do a dutch braid centered on my head instead of to the left I'd probably wear that out. I don't like the way my hair parts when I make a low english braid and I can't get two braids to work. I don't like the look of a ponytail. When my hair was shorter I did a ponytail where I didn't pull all the hair through the elastic, to get a sort of folded ponytail/bunlike thing, but that doesn't work anymore.

zanne
June 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
I usually do the braided pigtails, because i think it's cute:). I will admit to ponying that way as well, sometimes, but it's more often braided. And always a braid when i work out.

vidgrl007
June 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I wear pony tails bc thats the only style that seems to look good on me.

hurricane_gia
June 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I braid mine for two reasons:

1. I got breakage during a pony-tail wearing phase, and even after I stopped wearing ponys the hair continued to break off at that same level, so now I'm afraid of elastic bands. And these were the metal-free ouchless elastics!!

2. A pony-tail doesn't contain my hair well enough. Sure, it keeps my hair out of my face, but then the length of my hair is still loose and can fly around in the wind, slapping total strangers on the face, working itself into tangles, or standing around on street corners smoking cigarettes . . . no wait, that last one was teenagers, not my hair.

I like braids on men, too. It's a preference I developed as a small child, when the only long-haired men I knew were Historic Re-enactment Indians.

Magicknthenight
June 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
i dont really wear ponytails. If i had to choose it would defently be braids to prevent tangles. Plus i usially have to use a really thick elastic and wrap it around my hair really tight. Where as with a braid their isnt that stress on my scalp. Also I can take my braids out and have nice waves but if i take a ponytail out after a day i'll just have that annoying bump.
so i voted for braids! :cheese:
and theirs so many different kinds!

lirael
June 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I prefer ponytails because my taper is less visible.

Paniscus
June 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I voted braid, but only because ponytails have been giving me the worst headaches lately. On my car ride home from work, I let my hair free and the pain would acquiescingly disappear! So yeah, braids for me :)

orangeeyecrayon
June 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
i voted ponytail, just cause i can only get through 3 passes with the braid, once my hair gets a little longer though i am sure that will change

BunnyBee
June 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Braid. My hair tangles way too easily to be let loose most of the time. Besides, ponytails tend to give me a headache after a while, not sure why :confused:

girlcat36
June 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Too lazy for a braid.:D

Ndnlady
June 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I prefer braids, my hair just turns into a big tangled mess with a ponytail!

LongForLife
June 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Well, I voted ponytail. I almost always wear it in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck, when my hair is not down. My hair is extremely thick and heavy, so when I wear a "normal" ponytail, I get nasty headaches as well. So I started wearing the ponytail at the nape of the neck, and now I never get headaches from it.

My hair is very layered, so it tends to stick out horrible all over the place in a braid. Plus on me, I think it almost makes me look childish, but maybe that is just my imagination. ;)

Loreyanne_H
June 23rd, 2008, 01:17 AM
I voted for braid, but I mean braided ponytail: my hair tends really to tangle on the back of my head, especially when it's winter and I have to wear scarves, if I don't do a braided ponytail.

If I'm only wearing a ponytail, I have alwais a pencil or a stick to wrap it in a bun when I need it.

goldenwaves
June 23rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
I prefer braids generally, because they're more comfortable, but normally it's a ponytail for me because it's just so much quicker :)

boukje
June 23rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
I cannot vote this unfortunately because I wear neither one of them. But I did wear a ponytail everyday for many many years and let's just say it made my hair in my neck very fragile (couldn't grow them more than 2"). and I had tangles, and split ends.

Now I always wear it up, but if I would have to choose, I would definetely chose the braid option (but I would put the braid up).

honeybunch
June 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Braids, I love them!

mrs carol
June 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
I mostly wear a braid or twist the braid around and make a bun. If I wear a pony tail my hair tangles and is a big job to comb it out.

Radulfr
June 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
"My hair just turns into a big tangled mess with a ponytail!" :agree:

Ponytails don't really work for my type of hair.
I go with a single braid all day, every day.

wilmot
June 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Braids feel better, but ponytails are quicker, so if I'm in a hurry, I'll just throw a hair tie in to get my hair out of my face.

Question: when most people braid, do they only put a hair tie at the bottom, or do they start with a ponytail hair tie at the top? I tend to do the latter, but I'm thinking it's harder on my hair to have both ties in.

Nynaeve
June 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Braids feel better, but ponytails are quicker, so if I'm in a hurry, I'll just throw a hair tie in to get my hair out of my face.

Question: when most people braid, do they only put a hair tie at the bottom, or do they start with a ponytail hair tie at the top? I tend to do the latter, but I'm thinking it's harder on my hair to have both ties in.

Thanks for bumping the thread, you reminded me that I need to start braiding more often, especially at night, so I can both protect my hair and hopefully get better at new types of braids.

I personally only put one at the bottom, and even then, I try to make sure it's something that won't cause too much stress on my hair. I try to stay away from ponytails because they damage my hair so much, so I would never put a ponytail above my braid. That being said, my niece's hair is currently up in a ponytail braid of a sort. It's like it's in a half up ponytail, then the rest is collected and braided, then there is another tie at the bottom.

I've always wanted to make my own leather hair ties. I've made some to just tie it off, but I want to make some ponytailers/braiders. I mean like a strip of leather like a long piece folded in half, then it has beads threaded onto the two strips (together) and holds your hair.

I need to get better at making good leather strip tie-offs too, I'd love to always tie my braids off with those as opposed to a really damaging ponytail and such. (and ribbons, which always fall out)

ETA: Bloody hell, I forgot to mention hey and welcome to the community, and I love your avatar and profile pic. :)

silentwisp
June 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Ponytails, because even though my hair gets tangled I haven't been combing it out every day like I used to.

I usually just keep redoing my ponytail and maybe run my fingers through it. I comb it out every few days.

I know that sounds insane but I don't wash my hair that much so I don't really care. Hahaha.
:D

wilmot
June 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Ny,

Thanks for the welcome. This really is an awesome community.

You inspired me to take my hair out of its ponytail and stick it back into a braid for the night. I'm trying to take better care of my hair, really I am.

Leather ties for hair sound really cool. I'm not sure I quite get what you mean by ponytailers/braiders. I've only ever used "standard" hair ties. Oh, and a scrunchie once or twice :)

Millielie
June 28th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Ponytail, but just because I'm not able to braid yet :p

Anathema
June 28th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I'm mostly going for pony tail too when not letting it hang free. Sure it gets tangled and messy, but I don't know any cool braiding styles and I think regular braids are just too boring. Plus not one bit flattering for my face. :(

roxyhead
June 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I usually wear a ponytail, because my hair doesn't like to stay contained in a braid for some reason...it even fights ponytails. It fights everything. But I like braids better. Particularly if I can get someone to help me. I'm so uncoordinated.

And on guys, I like braids, definitely.

PetiteHatter
July 1st, 2008, 12:07 AM
I can't do a braid unless my hair is wet. I like ponytails because it's easier for me

Starr
July 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
Definately braids- my ponytails look more like pony puffs.

morgwn
July 1st, 2008, 01:55 AM
I'd found plaits are much nicer to my hair and don't break it off at all (unlike a ponytail), so I try and just use plaits when not putting my hair up in a French twist or something similar.

Patrycja
July 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I'm a braid idiot.I can do them but I have all these weird peices that stick out about half way down.I know its my layers,so I actually combine the two styles.I braid halfway down and leave the rest loose.My ends don't get tangled much,unless I have the car windows down.I do try to do a banded pony if I know I'm going to be wearing a ponytail that day.

wilmot
July 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I think my hair would qualify as a "pony puff" as well. When I do a pony tail I often refer to the mass of hair sitting on my back as the "badger" that follows me wherever I go. :-)

girlcat36
July 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I think my hair would qualify as a "pony puff" as well. When I do a pony tail I often refer to the mass of hair sitting on my back as the "badger" that follows me wherever I go. :-)

That was funny!! :rolling:

Marchpane
July 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Well, sadly, a ponytail, because my braids are still coming out pretty wonky most of the time. I'm working on it though, and at least I'm noticing an improvement in the ones I do at night. They're still much to awful to wear out though. XD

I don't much like ponytails, they stick out when I wear them, so usually I just wear my hair down long. If I make them high they're cute though, I like when they're all swingy heehee. ^_^

jenna
July 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
ponytail. i can't braid my own hair to save my life. it looks ridiculous when i try to do it.

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
when my hair was shorter I wore ponytails all the time and dh called it "pan handle head", but now that it is longer a braid works so much better!!

crystal_89
July 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I like braids but my short bits won't stay in them at the moment so I've been wearing ponytails lately. Plus, with the short bits sticking out, I've heard people speculating on the bus whether or not my long braided bit is a clip in extension. *sigh*

Robbi Dehlinger
July 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
pigtails are soooo CUTE, plus they are easy:)

sexyjacksparrow
July 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I rarely wear either. My hair sticks out too much in a ponytail and is too short to plait properly.
I prefers a plait/braid of the two though.

Kerry xx

Robbi Dehlinger
July 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hi!

OK, but I meant the kind of pigtails that you just part the hair in the middle and tie the two plaits. (Some girls call braids pigtails also)

Paradise Lost
July 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I prefer braids. I hardly ever wear ponytails because hair gets in the way just like if it was down.
And I really love to see men with braids :p It's too bad that only a few of long-haired men actually do wear this style.

bikerblue
July 13th, 2008, 03:28 AM
i wear a braid i get less tangles when i ride my bike. Hate the waves i get from it though

Monsterkitti
July 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Ponytail usually as my hair isnt all one length and i end up with bits sticking out in a braid at the moment.

Garnetgem
January 21st, 2016, 07:20 PM
A ponytail mainly but occasionally i wear a braid when i want to keep it out of the way of getting tangled.

curlysamantha
January 21st, 2016, 07:51 PM
I wear a braid because I find it works better for my hair texture

lapis_lazuli
January 21st, 2016, 08:48 PM
My hair is either in a braid or a LWB. So... braid :p Ponytails create too much tension and hurt my scalp.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 21st, 2016, 09:05 PM
If I only had a choice between the two I would choose a braid because it is more protective than a ponytail. In actual fact I wear neither, I prefer to wear buns.

Frankenstein
January 21st, 2016, 10:06 PM
Braid, ponytails get very tangled.

DeadlyUnicorn
January 21st, 2016, 11:01 PM
Braid.. It tangles too much with a ponytail. But I'll do a ponytail with a blingy ponytail holder for fancy occasions :p

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2016, 11:22 PM
I would choose a low pony for the most part. But I lived in braids for the longest I find them now a bit boring. Still they are much more comfortable and protect hair so nicely from tangles.

Lately I've been wearing messy high ponies and I feel so.... Edgy somehow :disco:!!!! (My hair resembles a peacock with my ends all everywhere and I like it, it's pretty different for me as a guy).

lapushka
January 22nd, 2016, 04:03 AM
Neither. The one updo I always have, no matter what, is a LWB.

Dona
January 22nd, 2016, 04:25 AM
Braid, I do love ponytails too but braids are more practical IMO. A ponytail gets weighed down a lot, or I have to wear it very low. It also tangles when I go outside. I sometimes still wear a ponytail, but not as often anymore.

gregh
January 22nd, 2016, 12:51 PM
Ponytail. But I'll try out a braid when its longer though I doubt it would be my preference.

parkmikii
January 23rd, 2016, 12:08 PM
Where is the bun option :(

PixiePoesie
January 28th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Ponytail until it's bunable, then bun or braids. I've always loved braids for skiing, hiking and running...bun for yoga and dancing. :blossom:

endersworld
January 28th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Honestly, a ponytail doesn't keep my hair out of the way anymore, so a braid is the way to go! Usually a bun happens this time of year, though...braids get pretty staticky towards the end from rubbing against the wool jackets, etc.

HeartofHaleth
January 30th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Ponytails don't really work for me unless they're at the very lowest point they can be. My hair just drags them right down my head. Also, I hate using elastics that far up my hair. They always get tangled up and there's invariably a chorus of snapping when I go to take them out.

Laurie3030
January 31st, 2016, 04:42 AM
I dont like ponytails because it doesnt suit me. Luckily, braids do :3

therebelqueen
February 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I love braids! A low English braid is my go-to for when I'm not planning on doing much. If I left it in a ponytail, it tends to get onto and into everything.

QueenBeruthiel
February 5th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I've had my hair braided for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, my mom or my dad used to braid my hair, but I learned how to do it myself when I was about 12 or 13. I'm used to it now, so I prefer braids. When my hair was shorter, I did use ponytails, but I didn't like them as much.

Belle Paix
February 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I never wear ponys because I think there's a greater chance for mechanical damage. I'll wear braids with a fabric tie fairly far from the ends of my hair.

lithostoic
February 6th, 2016, 08:43 PM
My hair is currently not long enough to braid (inch below collarbone) so ponytail for me. Generally I'd braid it.

Alarice
February 8th, 2016, 01:50 PM
If I were given a choice like "If you had to choose to give up the ability to do one of these hairstyles, which would you pick?", then I would eliminate ponytails and stick with braids.

This is because while ponytails may make my hair look nicer temporarily (hair appears visually thicker/longer), I feel guilty when wearing them because I can feel the tension in that single spot, and feel my hair tangling/getting stuck under things, and so I typically end up taking them down after an hour or three because it doesn't feel worth it to look nice for a bit at the risk of permanent damage.
Also, I have an obsessive-compulsive streak, and wearing a ponytail means I end up fussing with it while I wear it to ensure it is still centered, and that friction is probably damaging too.
Braids are more comfortable and protective, and I find them easier to leave alone. :hmm:

As far as you being a guy with a braid, I have noticed that braids are less popular than a plain ponytail, but am unsure as to whether that is truly a result of society frowning on dudes with braids, or the fact that a lot of long-haired guys just don't have hair long enough to braid. :shrug: In case you're curious, to me personally braids are not really "feminine" like a lot of other styles out there, and they're practical.:)

Cassyopeia
February 8th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Braids all the way for me aswell. And I've actually seen a few guys here with braids. Not the whole head into 1 braid though, but think the style from the tvshow Vikings. Like smaller side braids and maybe a french in the middle.

lucasBA
February 9th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Ponytail. partly because I can't braid and its only APL right now, but mainly because a ponytail is basically loose but out of your face, and I like my hair loose.

Alun
February 9th, 2016, 10:44 PM
If I were given a choice like "If you had to choose to give up the ability to do one of these hairstyles, which would you pick?", then I would eliminate ponytails and stick with braids.

This is because while ponytails may make my hair look nicer temporarily (hair appears visually thicker/longer), I feel guilty when wearing them because I can feel the tension in that single spot, and feel my hair tangling/getting stuck under things, and so I typically end up taking them down after an hour or three because it doesn't feel worth it to look nice for a bit at the risk of permanent damage.
Also, I have an obsessive-compulsive streak, and wearing a ponytail means I end up fussing with it while I wear it to ensure it is still centered, and that friction is probably damaging too.
Braids are more comfortable and protective, and I find them easier to leave alone. :hmm:

As far as you being a guy with a braid, I have noticed that braids are less popular than a plain ponytail, but am unsure as to whether that is truly a result of society frowning on dudes with braids, or the fact that a lot of long-haired guys just don't have hair long enough to braid. :shrug: In case you're curious, to me personally braids are not really "feminine" like a lot of other styles out there, and they're practical.:)

I don't even find that anyone notices when I go out with braided hair. In my comments above I say that I had to grow it a lot longer before I thought it was practical to braid it. I don't think you do need as much hair for a ponytail.

And FWIW, the instructions on my chainsaw say that a ponytail is only sufficient upto a certain length, and if your hair is longer than that you should wear a braid, I suppose to avoid accidental beheading!

restless
February 10th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Ponytail it is. I just dont understand how people can keep their braids looking so neat; it only takes a few minutes before mine start to look frizzy and unkempt as little hairs escape all over and then I have to redo it.

Piewee
February 13th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Ussualy in a bun, but if I would have to choose a ponytail. Never even tried braiding:-) altho my sisters would love that:run:

mermaid lullaby
February 13th, 2016, 05:29 PM
I chose a pony tail because it's fast to do.

Prodigal Alice
February 13th, 2016, 08:30 PM
My hair gets mad tangled, mad fast, if it's in a ponytail. Somehow the scrunchie/whatever catches up the hair at the nape of my neck and makes nasty little knots... so I wear my hair in braids most of the time.

Mavi
February 14th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I am of the braid-clan. My braids definitely become exploding messes after only a couple hours of use (probably due to ponytail hair tie related breakage), but I simply can't keep a ponytail in anymore. I think my hair has become too heavy, as soon as I do anything my hair is sagging down on my head.

maborosi
February 15th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Braids, usually braided buns. Ponytails aren't secure enough to keep my hair from going all over the place, or getting caught in things.

Banded ponytails, on the other hand, are like the best thing if I want a full ponytail to show off length.

Cg
February 19th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Pony tails give me a headache, so it's a braided bun usually.

inpatient
December 14th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Ponytail
My hair is too short for a braid :(

Sammy-Catherine
December 14th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Braid or it tangles.

MudderOfDragunz
December 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Braids all the way! I do not like my hair in a ponytail and it won't hold up anyway.

TatsuOni
December 15th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Braid. I never wear a ponytail.

Seija
December 15th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Ponytails& buns, I love braids but my hair is too short to look nice with them yet

moon_witch
December 15th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Braid! I feel like ponytails always tug on my scalp and my hair isn't even really heavy, I guess I just have a sensitive scalp.

Ephemeron
December 17th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I love braids. Ponytails don't feel any different than just having my hair down.

Annalouise
December 18th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Both. Ponytail then braid down the length. :)

Johannah
December 18th, 2016, 09:25 AM
A braid. Because it's more protective than a ponytail ;)

StartingAt35
January 18th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Right now I mostly wear ponytails, however it's mostly because of my length. As soon as my hair gets a bit longer (APL maybe) I'll try to wear mostly braids.

hamilton
January 19th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Just got the hang of braiding and it seems much more functional. Still ponytail sometimes though for ease and mostly variety.

dollhair
January 28th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Braid always. Ponytails for me mean a tangled matted mess :(

colin
February 6th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Braid is definitely my go to.

Margrit
September 28th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Non, I wear bun‘s

lizstar
October 4th, 2018, 11:19 PM
I like ponytail, its very comfortable and I'm not so good making a braid

Emma Rose
October 5th, 2018, 01:06 AM
I love braids but I also love my sleep which doesn't leave me much time in the morning to get ready at all, so I usually just wear a ponytail tied up with a scrunchy

iforgotmylogin
October 5th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Pony tail because I can't braid my hair for ****. It's long enough, I just never have any luck when I try. Might have another crack now

Natalia_A00
October 5th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Braids are way more flattering as I see it, they just look better

ravenskey
October 5th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Braids, with my thickness a ponytail basically is down. I remember going for a walk over the summer with my hair in a ponytail and my hair literally stuck out either side of my body.

GoldenRussian
October 7th, 2018, 07:03 PM
I try to braid my hair rather than doing a ponytail, but a ponytail seems to protect my hair more since it's not that long for now, so only the ends are rubbing against my back.

illicitlizard
October 12th, 2018, 04:39 AM
I like the look of a (high) ponytail more than a braid on myself, but in terms of keeping real long hair out of the way, I prefer a french braid aesthetically. Also once it gets too long/heavy for a high pony braids trump low ponytails every time imo.

Rosetta
October 12th, 2018, 07:52 AM
This poll is badly missing a "cheese" option, or "neither", call it what you will ;)

I normally wear my hair down when going out (and up when at home), but if it's contained then it's up with a clip or in a side ponytail, one of my trademark do's, and sometimes the side ponytail is braided. Ok, so maybe I should have answered ponytail then, or both... ;)

sophia_
October 13th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Ponytails make my scalp hurt so badly lol, and I look like an egg when I wear them.

JennyLue
October 13th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Braid! Love braids on men too

Rapunzeloneday
October 22nd, 2018, 06:21 PM
Ponytails pull at my scalp and cause it to be sore. Braids are best for me.

EmeraldSkies
October 23rd, 2018, 04:45 AM
Ponytail for work and braids for yoga. I'm just too lazy to do a braid early in the morning. I might switch to braids for work eventually when my hair gets longer to prevent tangles.

triclestip
October 23rd, 2018, 08:30 AM
My hair in a ponytail gets massively tangled in no time. I can't even remember when I last wore a ponytail :confused:

Lucielu
October 27th, 2018, 09:46 AM
i prefer braids but i cant braid my own hair right now so i use lots of ponytails

Anaconda
October 27th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Ponytails pull at my scalp and cause it to be sore. Braids are best for me.

This is true for me too. I like a loose English braid. Ponytails cause a little pain around my hairline, even if they're not super tight.

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Braid. Ponytails tangle.

Joyful Mystery
December 26th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Braids are best for me.

Braided Lady
February 12th, 2023, 12:37 PM
Braids all the way. Ponytails pull on my scalp, and mat like crazy. I tried a couple ponytails recently, and every time, within very little time, I would touch my hair and it would literally have a big horrible mat in the ponytail, that would take forever to untangle

ReiHino
February 13th, 2023, 01:39 PM
After a certain point keeping them in a ponytail is not different than keeping them down, then I prefer using a big claw clip.

Bat
February 14th, 2023, 05:39 AM
Either or but my hair was never really long enough for braids I do like how braids look especially fishtails

Fiorentina
February 14th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Non of this 2, I prefer a bun.

clairenewcastle
February 18th, 2023, 11:01 AM
I prefer how a braid looks but when push comes to shove I pull my hair back into a ponytail every single time that I should be braiding it.

Lesley8
February 18th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Definitely a braid for me.

Für immer
February 25th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Of these two, braided.
Though I wear my hair in a bun more often than not. And sometimes, a braided bun. ;)

angel-baby
February 26th, 2023, 12:11 PM
French braided almost every day

LadyGuin
February 26th, 2023, 12:51 PM
Braids almost daily and especially at night

MusicalSpoons
February 26th, 2023, 07:19 PM
My hair hates braids, but a ponytail would be even worse.

Of course I actually wear a bun ALL the time (except if I have to lay on the back of my head such as at a dentist appointment, although sometimes I still do if it's just a quick checkup, but otherwise that's the only time I wear a braid - secured with ribbon, elastics kill my hair and the end is far too thin for any softer type of tie, unless I can find those toddler ones, maybe, but even then they would risk slipping off) but if I were forced to choose between the two, it would be a braid.

... then I'd put it into a nautilus bun and hope it held :p

MiaVolf
March 1st, 2023, 04:48 AM
The choice between a braid and a ponytail ultimately depends on personal preference and the occasion.

A ponytail is a classic and versatile hairstyle that is easy to create and can be worn for any occasion, from casual to formal. It is a great option for keeping your hair out of your face and can be styled in various ways, such as high or low, slicked back or voluminous.

A braid, on the other hand, can add a touch of elegance and intricacy to your hairstyle.

QuietVixen
March 1st, 2023, 09:01 PM
I prefer a braid instead of a ponytail because a braid is more protective for my hair than a ponytail.

sofie
March 4th, 2023, 10:47 AM
Braid, because ponytails get so messy and braids keep it all together.

puckish
April 2nd, 2023, 05:56 PM
I really want my hair to grow because I'm in love with long braids.

FlowerMoonFairy
May 6th, 2023, 12:29 PM
I prefer braids to ponytails.