PDA

View Full Version : New color

juliaxena
June 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I was looking for a way to dye my hair a bit darker but not too dark, without damaging it. I have used Logona herbal dye in brown shade. it did not become too dark but I wonder how permanent this is? I hope this won't wash off. This is not a lenght and preety hair shot. It looks messy and I'll take it of soon enough but just to get an idea how it looks. Do you think it will hold?

UltraBella
June 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
This product is a deposit only color, so it is going to wash out. It only coats the hair shaft, it does not penetrate the cuticle, so it is temporary.

lastnite
June 7th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I never heard of that brand before, but it looks like a nice product. Since it's henna, it would depend on how you mixed it and how long you left it in. Usually the boxed hennas say to just mix with water and leave on a short time, so they do fade after a few weeks.

juliaxena
June 7th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I did just mix it with water and leave it on one hour. I was afraid it would go too dark. Such a pitty :( it's really pretty but too much work to do it every month. This color has the least henna of all of them it says.

Sigh, I really don't know what to do. I just know that any amount of peroxide on my leght will ruin my hair.

dropinthebucket
June 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Better to re-do non-damaging colour every few weeks - heck, even every two weeks! - than to use a supposed permanent or even a damaging demi- than doesn't actually stay in. When I went back to my natural colour, after being a bleached blone, the permanent dye washed out in a couple of months. Re-doing it a couple of times fried my hair. If I'd known it had to be re-done, and re-done, and re-done, as it grew out, I'd a gone with a non-damaging, deposit only and done it more frequently, cost be damned! :) oooh, am i allowed to say that here? :D

Tressie
June 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I sometimes use deposit only color to blend my gray roots. It seems to work fairly well, but is a bit of a bother to redo on a regular basis. If you aren't covering gray, I suggest you embrace your natural color and go for shiny and healthy! (o: Just my two cents!

jane53
June 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I sometimes use deposit only color to blend my gray roots. It seems to work fairly well, but is a bit of a bother to redo on a regular basis. If you aren't covering gray, I suggest you embrace your natural color and go for shiny and healthy! (o: Just my two cents!

I use Clairol Loving Care to blend my roots and it's very easy. You put it on dry hair, leave it in (they say 20 minutes; I leave it on an hour) and then just wash your hair using the Loving Care as the shampoo. Rinse and condition as usual. It's really not much of a hassle.

I really don't need it for root-blending, but until the rest of my hair gets more clearly gray, my face seems washed out with the face-framing areas gray.

I feel like I'm taking the wrong bus by recommending a simple box of Clairol Loving Care to people who use henna and tea and catnip and olive oil, but it's cheap, it only lasts a couple of weeks, it's mistake-free, and it's gentle.

UltraBella
June 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Some Demi colors are incredibly gentle and last for months. My favorite is the Matrix Colorsync line. I colored my hair a copper red with this for five years, I had amazing color retention and no damage. Not all Demi color will hurt your hair.......

MsBubbles
June 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Better to re-do non-damaging colour every few weeks - heck, even every two weeks! - than to use a supposed permanent or even a damaging demi- than doesn't actually stay in. When I went back to my natural colour, after being a bleached blone, the permanent dye washed out in a couple of months. Re-doing it a couple of times fried my hair. If I'd known it had to be re-done, and re-done, and re-done, as it grew out, I'd a gone with a non-damaging, deposit only and done it more frequently, cost be damned! :) oooh, am i allowed to say that here? :D

I have come to the same conclusion as you, dropinthebucket. But I didn't actually get so far as to put any peroxide-containing dyes on my length because I'd read the ingredients, freak out, drop the box and run out of the store :p.

juliaxena
June 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Some Demi colors are incredibly gentle and last for months. My favorite is the Matrix Colorsync line. I colored my hair a copper red with this for five years, I had amazing color retention and no damage. Not all Demi color will hurt your hair.......

I would not worry either but my hair is already dyed with peroxide dye. Some parts got peroxide dye on it three times, on other parts I'm sure there were some overlapses from dying roots. I don't dare risk damaging it. While my hair is not damaged now, i want it to stay that way.

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
My hair was dyed with that particular brand 26 times ! I just went back through my palm pilot and counted, lol. And I always pulled it through to the ends to refresh and brighten my color. No damage at all :) Not trying to talk you into it or anything, just sharing .......

dropinthebucket
June 8th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Matrix Colorsync was one I saw recommended, too - I think on the forum BehindTheChair - not sure of the ingredients. And there's also Elumen, a new, deposit-only, completely non-damaging colour - I think I might have recommended that before (or was that another thread?? ah, lost count!) but I also mentioned I didn't have any personal experience with it. My box is coming this week, though, and I hear it covers henna, too, and is very long-lasting so I'm super excited and have my fingers crossed!! :)

BlackfootHair
June 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I love Goldwell Colorance. It's a demi and very non damaging! I love that it has no ammonia. That stuff makes my head burn.

earthymamawitch
June 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM
perhaps this thread should be moved to the "Conventional Haircare" forum? :)

Jenn

Calista
June 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Logona is a brand of natural haircolours that contains henna, so I would expect it to be permanent.

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM
It states right on the website that it does not penetrate the hair shaft, only coats the hair and can be stripped out with mineral oil if you do not like the color results. It states that most people see results for 6 weeks with the color gradually washing out. It's definitely temporary color.

Calista
June 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
The German website says:

Unsere Pflanzenhaarfarben setzen sich aus kontrolliert-biologisch angebautem Henna und verschiedenen Kräutern, Früchten und Rinden zusammen.[...]Logona-Kosmetik Pflanzenhaarfarben färben schonend und dauerhaft.
source (http://logona.de/PHF/PHF_D/index.html)

(Translation by Yours Truly: "Our plant-based hair dyes consist of organically grow henna and different herbs, fruits and barks.[...]Logona Cosmetics plant-based hairdyes dye gently and permanently.")

I don´t believe that a hair dye containing henna will be temporary. Maybe the OP can take a look at the box she bought and tell us the ingredients.

ETA: And maybe you could give us the link to where on the website is says this: "It states right on the website that it does not penetrate the hair shaft, only coats the hair and can be stripped out with mineral oil if you do not like the color results. It states that most people see results for 6 weeks with the color gradually washing out." I couldn´t find it, neither in the German nor in the English version.

MsBubbles
June 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
My hair was dyed with that particular brand 26 times ! I just went back through my palm pilot and counted, lol. And I always pulled it through to the ends to refresh and brighten my color. No damage at all :) Not trying to talk you into it or anything, just sharing .......

With all respect, someone like me with nothing but fine strands of already damaged hair on their head would loathe to put any more peroxide on their hair again for any reason. It bothers me a bit to hear somebody say these 'demis' or 'semis' or whatever they are, are completely harmless. I don't have that much hair to mess around with. How can they be completely harmless if they have peroxide in them?

Also, are you saying you dyed over the same bits of hair 26 times with zero damage?

I can't afford to lose any thickness at all. I don't have that much thickness to start with.

sorry to hijack, op.

Calista
June 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
MsBubbles, Logona is a brand of certified organic cosmetics. It doesn´t contain peroxide.

MsBubbles
June 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Calista: this is the part of the thread I was referring to, not Logona:

I would not worry either but my hair is already dyed with peroxide dye. Some parts got peroxide dye on it three times, on other parts I'm sure there were some overlapses from dying roots. I don't dare risk damaging it. While my hair is not damaged now, i want it to stay that way.

and then UltraBella replied again with this:

My hair was dyed with that particular brand 26 times ! I just went back through my palm pilot and counted, lol. And I always pulled it through to the ends to refresh and brighten my color. No damage at all Not trying to talk you into it or anything, just sharing .......

Calista
June 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Oh, ok - I thought when she talked about "that particular brand" she was still talking about Logona. I agree, anything containing peroxide is potentially damaging and nothing I would ever want on my hair.

lastnite
June 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM
MsBubbles has a good point. The people saying they have safely colored their hair over and over have thicker hair that might be able to withstand the coloring. Finer, delicate hair is lucky if it can survive 1 color treatment, even with the lower peroxide demi colors. :o

About the OP henna product, wouldn't the simple solution be to mix it with chamomile tea and let it dye release for an hour- just like preparing regular henna so it won't fade out so quickly? Or is it a bad idea to prepare boxed premixed hennas/cassia/indigo like that?

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
This is right off of www.beautybazaar.co.uk which is the online ordering site that the Logona site sends you to.
"Product Description
PPD, Ammonia and Peroxide free semi-permanant herbal hair colour powders from Logona. These colours are 100% natural, derived only from pure plant extracts and do not contain any harsh chemicals, bleaches or colourants. This product will stay in your hair for about 5 to 7 weeks dependant on the frequency and aggresiveness of your shampoo regime. We recommend using the colour foam shampoo's from Sante to prolong the times between colouring. You will need to strand test this product to ensure colour consistency. We recommend wrapping a strand of hair in cling film after you have treated it. Place the film against your skin to simulate body warmth and leave for at least 30 minutes If you have more than 50% grey in your hair, the Natural Brown and Brown Umber are highly recommended as these contain very little Henna, relying instead on vegetable based dyes. Allow four to five weeks after chemical dyes have been used before using Logona's Colours in your hair. Safe for use after perming. Keep in mind that grey is notoriously difficult to cover and you may need to apply two to three applications to cover the grey completely. As the product is completely natural, you can quite easily do this on consecutive days without the risk of damaging your hair."

Calista
June 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
And how do they explain that if

the Natural Brown and Brown Umber are highly recommended as these contain very little Henna, relying instead on vegetable based dyes the other colours (which in consequence contain more than just "a little" henna) wash out within 5 to 7 washes? Henna doesn´t wash out. I don´t understand this.

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
With all respect, someone like me with nothing but fine strands of already damaged hair on their head would loathe to put any more peroxide on their hair again for any reason. It bothers me a bit to hear somebody say these 'demis' or 'semis' or whatever they are, are completely harmless. I don't have that much hair to mess around with. How can they be completely harmless if they have peroxide in them?

Also, are you saying you dyed over the same bits of hair 26 times with zero damage?

I can't afford to lose any thickness at all. I don't have that much thickness to start with.

sorry to hijack, op.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. There is no reason to have damage with a good quality Demi color and it can be repeated over and over. Are you familiar with Semi and Demi color ?
Semi color contains no ammonia or peroxide, it simply coats the hair shaft with temporary color. Completely non damaging and washes away quickly.
Demi color contains a very small amount of peroxide (not enough to lift natural color or penetrate the cuticle) which is only used as an oxidizing agent for the color to temporarily bind to the outside of the hair shaft. The cuticle is not opened and the hair retains it's natural color and integrity as the temporary color slowly washes away. This is nothing like permanent color which opens the cuticle and removes natural pigment to then replace it with hair dye.
Why would you be bothered with me making a statement if you don't know much about them ?

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
And how do they explain that if
the other colours (which in consequence contain more than just "a little" henna) wash out within 5 to 7 washes? Henna doesnīt wash out. I donīt understand this.
I don't know a whole lot about henna, but here is the explanation in the Q & A section of the same site :

"LOGONA Herbal Hair Colors penetrate only into the outer, scaly layer of the hair shaft, giving a coating of color over this outer layer. The natural pigments of your hair shine through this color layer. Your new hair color results from the combination of your initial color with the applied hair color layer.
How do they work?* Unlike chemical methods, they do not penetrate the hair shaft, but coat the outside of each hair shaft with a protective, volumising layer.* The color layer reflects light, making your hair shinier, and also smoothes over the roughened exterior of the hair shaft, making your hair more manageable.* The results are expressive colors, glossy good looks, and increased volume.* Every detail is enclosed with each box of Herbal Hair Color.* This includes how to mix, how to prepare your hair before coloring, applying, process time, what to do after, and how to make your color last.* Each box contains: hair color powder, instructions, and protective gloves.* We recommend that you read over the questions on using Henna for additional concerns."

dropinthebucket
June 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I would have to agree, the condition of your hair pre-colour has a lot to do with it. I had my hair dyed with a permanent, high peroxide colour for years when I was a bleached blonde - my professional stylist was awesome, he never seemed to do damage to my hair. BUT, my hair was thicker after colouring, so the permanent colour MUST have "blown up" the cuticle - therefore, there was damage, it's just that the other products he used kept it looking and feeling nice. Also, he never went over the same hair twice, because I have fine, thin, delicate hair and he was always really careful with it.

By contrast, when I did my hair myself (after moving away from him - i had to move cities!! wanted to take him with me! :boohoo:) I used a permanent box dye, which faded. I went over the same hair with a "gentle" demi-permanent, and fried it on just the second application.

MsBubbles
June 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. There is no reason to have damage with a good quality Demi color and it can be repeated over and over. Are you familiar with Semi and Demi color ?
Semi color contains no ammonia or peroxide, it simply coats the hair shaft with temporary color. Completely non damaging and washes away quickly.
Demi color contains a very small amount of peroxide (not enough to lift natural color or penetrate the cuticle) which is only used as an oxidizing agent for the color to temporarily bind to the outside of the hair shaft. The cuticle is not opened and the hair retains it's natural color and integrity as the temporary color slowly washes away. This is nothing like permanent color which opens the cuticle and removes natural pigment to then replace it with hair dye.
Why would you be bothered with me making a statement if you don't know much about them ?

It's not a challenge. If I don't know much about it wouldn't I ask?! LOL!

Well I was going to say graciously that I wasn't familiar with the difference between demi and semi, but no I am not a hairstylist and am not in the profession so obviously I don't know squat about it.

I'm not bothered about *you* making the statement. I'm worried about my own hair/curious/desperate for a solution to my two-tonedness, and have heard some people with my similar hair composition and highlightedness say that putting what they thought was a harmless 'demi' on their hair ended up trashing it completely. So I'm wondering how you would know that demi's are totally safe on hair, say, like mine with a lot of old damage and not much real estate to start with anyway.

Are you saying I would be safe putting a demi on my hair, that contains peroxide, so that I could tone down my ends to match my roots somewhat, and that my hair wouldn't suffer because of it? And if you are saying that, what percentage are you willing to say you are sure?

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
MsBubbles, the first thing to consider is that not all demi colors are created equal, in my two salons we use only professional quality Redken or Matrix colors. There is a difference between professional grade Demi color and a boxed Demi you can buy at Walmart, and you always want to take that into consideration.
The other thing to consider is your hair's history. What have you done to it ? I know you said you have highlights, but what else ?

juliaxena
June 8th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Well ladies, Logona is already starting to wash off. I'm not very happy about it.

My hair is fine and I'm really not sure if a demi is the right choice. I still dye my roots with no ammonia dye, it has peroxide. I guess to make my hair lighter it HAS to be penetrating my hair. SO how do I know Matrix color won't do the same?

ETA: i hado to change my signature because I thought my hair dye is semi permanent. Now all I know is it's no ammonia dye lol.

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear that, goodness that was quick :(
Matrix Colorsync is a deposit only professional hair color, it does not have the capabilities to lift your natural color because your cuticle is not opened during the process. We literally use it ten times a day in the salons. Admitedly, I have seen it lift color ONE time, on a bleached - to the extreme - white blonde who had used a semi color on her hair the day before coming in. But that is not truly lifting color, because she had none of her natural color left in her hair cortex, it was totally stripped and fried with just a brassy golden blonde placed over it. So the Demi-color did lift her really bad semi color and deposited a dark blonde in it's place. Her hair was shinier and softer afterwards. Mine always was too. Like I said before, I used it over and over. If it could lift color- I would have been in trouble !
What have you been using on your roots ?

juliaxena
June 8th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I have been using this: http://www.garnier.co.uk/_en/_gb/our_products/products_trade.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_HAIR COLOR%5EMOVIDA%5EMOVIDA_BENEFITS
My shade is the one on the right (pic of a dye box). It does not only last 6 weeks for me, it's PERMANENT. It lightens my hair for real.

I think I might have one application of darker permanent on my lenght on top of the blonde dye I used also but I can't be sure. Before Movida I was using Shwartzkopf Pallete light gold blonde. This was preetty agressive compared to Movida. I'm not sure how much lenght still has this dye. I can't remeber how long I have been using just the Movida. Sometimes it feels Pallete is totally cut off by now, on other days I think there might be some left.

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
What color is your hair naturally ?

juliaxena
June 9th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Dark ashy blonde I suppose. I have seen only the roots of it for many years now lol

UltraBella
June 9th, 2010, 12:15 AM
And what color does your hair end up after applying the movida ? Sorry, I couldn't tell the name of the shade by looking at the box on the link. How many times, and how often, have you applied it ?

juliaxena
June 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM
It turns out just as on this picture http://www.echemist.co.uk/productmedia/982862757.Jpeg

I dn't know how many times I have applyed it. I have had some hard times and my memory is a bit weak. But I apply it once a month.

UltraBella
June 9th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Okay, well you should end up with a very golden shade, but the same color level as your natural color. You should not have any lightening with this product. Say you are a level 6 dark ash blonde naturally, you should end up with very golden blonde color, but still a level 6. If you deposit a darker color on you would end up darker, but you should not be lighter. If you are having a bleaching effect that is just really strange.

juliaxena
June 9th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Strange or not, it gets considerably lighter. Maybe the product is more agressive than they admit. Anyway...what's the verdict then?

Calista
June 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
How funny that semi-colour and demi-colour seems to be different products. I have never heard of that. Semi and demi both mean the same, "half".

UltraBella
June 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I can only attest to what a professional Demi-color will do, I think that a product like Matrix Colorsync to darken your hair would work very well and leave your hair shiny and healthy. You can always do a strand test to make sure before applying to your whole head.

juliaxena
June 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I could only order that online. What color, which shade should I take?

goodenough
June 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I use temporary conventional color once in a while, because my hair turns lighter as it grows. (Used to be really dark, no it gets more brown) It's a nice little thing to do, especially to beat the after holiday blahs and when I first lose my tan around October or so. I just don't care enough to do it all the time, but when I do it once a month, I see no grays. It fades, so you don't see roots.

It's actually semi-permanent (natural instincts), and it lasts six weeks. If I washed my hair everyday, it would only last three, I guess. One thing I like about that brand is that there are lots of dark shades to choose from, so I can try something different every time.

UltraBella
June 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I could only order that online. What color, which shade should I take?
Honestly, I can't answer that for you. From your sig pic I can't really get a good enough idea of what you already have, and I don't know what color you want to be. I was using two colors mixed together for the results I wanted.