View Full Version : Any way to deep condition without oil?

Charlotte:)
June 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Even the tiniest bit of oil will make my thin hair oily, and it won't wash out for days. But it's really dry, even though I only condition the length every few days and use a boar's bristle brush (although the scalp still gets greasy).

jane53
June 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Charlotte, I'm really nervous about oil too.

Have you tried any of the DEEP conditioning TREATMENTS (as opposed to just conditioners) offered by many brands? You leave them on longer, but they don't have the oily effects of some of the treatments recommended here.

(You're scaring me about the not washing out for days. I've gone through two days of foul and monstrous greasy hair from two little drops of olive oil on my ends distributed up my hair. I'm counting on the shampoo tomorrow to get it out. Maybe I shouldn't be kidding about using Goo-Be-Gone!!!)

spidermom
June 6th, 2010, 09:35 PM
There are nice deep treatments that you can buy. My stylist uses Joico K-Pak Reconstructor on my hair when I visit her. It provides both protein and moisture and leaves my hair smooth and shiny like glass for a few days.

I strongly disliked oil when I had heat-damaged ends. They felt like straw and when I added oil they felt like oily straw. Bleh! Now that all the damage is gone (mostly), my hair absorbs oil and most of the time I can't tell I used any after about half an hour (unless I used a lot). Then it washes right out with diluted shampoo. I can't imagine what would make hair hold onto oil but not absorb it, but I've heard the same complaint from others.

Also, you can do conditioner, honey, and aloe vera soaks. It's called SMT; there's a whole thread about it.

Arctic_Mama
June 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Yup, snowy's moisture treatment uses no oil, it would work perfectly for your purposes. There's a link to it stickied in the VIT thread on the main page :)

Druid of Alba
June 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM
You could try an egg treatment? Or mayonase? Or molasseS?

Angeletti
June 6th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I hated using oil at first because like you it left my hair very greasy afterward and the only way to get it out was to use shampoo on my ends which I hate to do, but someone said something on here about coating the oiled hair with conditioner and leaving it on for an hour or so and then washing and that seemed to work getting a lot of the oil out for me

Quahatundightu
June 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Charlotte, what kind of oil are you using?? My hair is thin too, Olive and even Coconut make it a grease ball!!! But Jojoba seems much lighter and just a few drop don't give me the greasies I used to hate!

Other options which really moisturise my hair include catnip rinses, coconut milk (but not too much), aloe vera, flax seed gel and leave-in conditioner.

jane53
June 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I'm not going to start a new thread for my personal hair drama, but this is just to say that I'm going to TRY to shampoo the horrible olive oil greasies out of my hair this morning.

After reading this, I considered putting conditioner on the greasy ends for a while and then shampooing. But the impulse I think I'll go with is to lather those nasty ends up with shampoo, rinse, and lather again. It's been years since I've done that to my ends. But then my ends have never been as nasty as they are with this olive oil on them.

FrannyG
June 7th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I'm not going to start a new thread for my personal hair drama, but this is just to say that I'm going to TRY to shampoo the horrible olive oil greasies out of my hair this morning.

After reading this, I considered putting conditioner on the greasy ends for a while and then shampooing. But the impulse I think I'll go with is to lather those nasty ends up with shampoo, rinse, and lather again. It's been years since I've done that to my ends. But then my ends have never been as nasty as they are with this olive oil on them.

You know, conditioner washes out oil better and easier than shampoo does. I had to learn that the hard way. I would definitely put conditioner on the oily ends before you shampoo.

Charlotte, I agree with the SMT approach to deep treatments. It is a true moisturizing treatment and doesn't require oil. Here is the link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) to the thread about the SMT.

Oil is definitely not necessary for deep treatments.

jane53
June 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Okay...I'll put some conditioner on the ends.

It's just that I soooo want the greasy, lank ends to go back to normal that anything moisturizing feels counterintuitive and I triple-washed it with conditioner after I put the oil on the ends and got--a greasy mess.