PDA

View Full Version : Henna = Super Tangles :-(

jenwithtriplets
June 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I hennaed my hair this weekend and my hair is a mess of tangles. I have hennaed my hair in the past and don't remember ever having this problem. My hair never tangles this bad. I can't get my fingers through it nor can I get it put up without breakage. My mix was 100mg Yemeni, 4 tbsp alma, a sample pack of cassia and 4 tbsp of paprika mixed with warm water, dye released, then mixed with conditioner and left on overnight. I only CO my hair at most once a week (usually every other week). I used almost a whole bottle of conditioner to get the henna out and then used apple cider vinegar rinse (thought maybe that would help with the tangled mess).

My hair is almost APL. Now it is tangled, frizzy and puffy/huge.

What can I do to get rid of the tangles (should i wash it again?) and to insure that this does not happen next time I use henna?

Cailie
June 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
You need to treat it with a lot of care for, about, the first week. I would say to moisturize A LOT from the 3rd day on (oils, condish, etc.), and you'll see it will probably be way better.

Frizz and tangles and even "dry hair" is normal for the first days after henna, because it takes time to settle (as does it's color).

Around the 3rd day, you could try leaving lots of heavy conditioner in your hair all night or a couple hours, than rinse. Frizz and tangles should be gone soon, hopefully. Let us know hoe it goes.

ktani
June 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
There is resin and mucilage in both the henna and cassia. All of that will gradually wash out. Oil you hair and deep condition.

The more you wash your hair the more it will settle down but condition in between after each wash. It will resolve itself. You can henna over coconut oil on clarified hair. It has not been reported to interfere with dye uptake and can help your hair's condition. See Zombiekins posts here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?tab=visitor_messaging&u=1381&page=9#visitor_messaging

little_cherry
June 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I agree with what Ktani said. I have also found that shampooing in conjunction with deep conditioning can help the hair feel better after hennaing. It won't affect the colour.

What type of henna was it?

jenwithtriplets
June 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
This is what I got:
http://www.hennasooq.com/usa-store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=7

I never had this happen before when I hennaed (gotten the henna elsewhere). Guess I am freaking out because it feels horrible, is tangled and all the new growth on the top of my head and temples is frizzy. But, it is very shiney and the color is great (I want more red, so I will leave out the alma next time).

I applied the henna on Friday and washed it out with shampoo and conditioner on Saturday. I thought about re-washing it CO (which is my normal routine). Could I do a deep coconut oil treatment tonight? It just feels SO horrible and is breaking from the tangles :-(

ktani
June 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
This is what I got:
http://www.hennasooq.com/usa-store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=7

I never had this happen before when I hennaed (gotten the henna elsewhere). Guess I am freaking out because it feels horrible, is tangled and all the new growth on the top of my head and temples is frizzy. But, it is very shiney and the color is great (I want more red, so I will leave out the alma next time).

I applied the henna on Friday and washed it out with shampoo and conditioner on Saturday. I thought about re-washing it CO (which is my normal routine). Could I do a deep coconut oil treatment tonight? It just feels SO horrible and is breaking from the tangles :-(

It should be fine to do so.

GRU
June 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
It sounds like you didn't get it washed out completely.

I would do a good long mermaid soak followed by several CO-washes, followed by a deep conditioner like SMT or similar.

And get the tangles out while it's soaked with conditioner, then rinse it without a lot of sideways manipulation to keep it detangled.

Athena's Owl
June 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
When I do henna i get this too. don't panic! give your hair a good soak, a nice CO wash, maybe leave your washing conditioner in for a while before massaging your hair length. conditioners have mild surfactants, and the slip will help you get our hair detangled. this will help. when i henna I buy extra bottles of conditioner because I really need them!

CrisDee
June 7th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I've had mine feel like that in the past, post henna. So I usually do a cholesterol treatment, then CO. I'd try a SMT, also, that works wonders :)

Henna Sooq
June 7th, 2010, 06:40 AM
When I do henna i get this too. don't panic! give your hair a good soak, a nice CO wash, maybe leave your washing conditioner in for a while before massaging your hair length. conditioners have mild surfactants, and the slip will help you get our hair detangled. this will help. when i henna I buy extra bottles of conditioner because I really need them!

Everyone is giving great advice. Athena's Owl, perfect!!

I'd say leave out the amla powder as well as that will lessen the red tones, and also amla powder gives you volume/curl (for some), and that might have given you all the extra curly/wavy volume.

caribou55313
June 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I'll second all the above advice to wash more followed by conditioning, and next time suggest leaving out the paprika (which doesn't really do anything good in any case), amla and cassia, keep it very simple and just use henna and water. I think you'll find your hair is more sleek and tangle-free that way.

NiAosSi
June 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks to the Great Henna Seeress (Nightshade) I began adding honey to my henna and it totally helps with removal and my hair feels much softer! I also CO the crap out of it after, lots of coconut oil and a braid until I wash again.

redneckprincess
June 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I add in conditioner and rince out with conditioner, yeah i always lose extra hairs but it never tangles much...sorry to hear yours did

GRU
June 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks to the Great Henna Seeress (Nightshade) I began adding honey to my henna and it totally helps with removal and my hair feels much softer! I also CO the crap out of it after, lots of coconut oil and a braid until I wash again.

I mix in Fenugreek Powder when I make my henna... gives it a gooeyness that makes it easier to rinse out, too.

georgia_peach
June 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I hennaed my hair this weekend and my hair is a mess of tangles. I have hennaed my hair in the past and don't remember ever having this problem. My hair never tangles this bad. I can't get my fingers through it nor can I get it put up without breakage. My mix was 100mg Yemeni, 4 tbsp alma, a sample pack of cassia and 4 tbsp of paprika mixed with warm water, dye released, then mixed with conditioner and left on overnight. I only CO my hair at most once a week (usually every other week). I used almost a whole bottle of conditioner to get the henna out and then used apple cider vinegar rinse (thought maybe that would help with the tangled mess).

My hair is almost APL. Now it is tangled, frizzy and puffy/huge.

What can I do to get rid of the tangles (should i wash it again?) and to insure that this does not happen next time I use henna?

Wow. First I'm sorry you are having troubles, but you've gotten great advice so far. I'd like to add the following for NEXT TIME:

DO LESS:
1)Less stuff - just use henna and water
2)Less time on your hair....leave it on for 3 or 4 hours and don't lay on it rubbing your head around all night on the pillow
3)Less scrubbing and manipulating your hair - I highly recommend a mermaid soak in the tub. Just lay there and the henna will gently fall out of your hair and sink to the bottom of the tub. REALLY, it will! and you won't risk roughing up the cuticle with all that rubbing and scrubbing. Then you can do a CO to get the rest of it out.

Henna is awesome, so hang in there! :)

burns_erin
June 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Wow. First I'm sorry you are having troubles, but you've gotten great advice so far. I'd like to add the following for NEXT TIME:

DO LESS:
1)Less stuff - just use henna and water
2)Less time on your hair....leave it on for 3 or 4 hours and don't lay on it rubbing your head around all night on the pillow
3)Less scrubbing and manipulating your hair - I highly recommend a mermaid soak in the tub. Just lay there and the henna will gently fall out of your hair and sink to the bottom of the tub. REALLY, it will! and you won't risk roughing up the cuticle with all that rubbing and scrubbing. Then you can do a CO to get the rest of it out.

Henna is awesome, so hang in there! :)

This is exactly what I was going to say, but i would just like to add, I add a tablespoon or two of honey per 100 grams and it seems to make rinse out much easier.