PDA

View Full Version : Giant "fully rolled" sock bun ( large pics )

UltraBella
June 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I was given a link to a youtube video that is a fully rolled sock bun and I finally mastered it ! I am completely HORRIBLE at any type of bun, but I got the hang of this one :) Well, the single one anyway. My double one is so crazy looking ;)
If I can find the link I will add it..........

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=73862
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=73861
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=73863
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=73864

Speckla
June 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM
What kind of sock did you use and what color is it?

That looks great!

UltraBella
June 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I just used a regular cotton sock, its brown but the color wouldn't matter. My hair is rolled into the sock about ten times, so I could use a hot pink sock and there is no way you could even get a glimpse of it. It's covered by roll after roll of hair :)

Emerson
June 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Very nice! :)

Learning_Mum
June 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Not so keen on the double one, but the single one looks beautiful, and you are gorgeous!

tcheney91
June 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Beautiful! It look so elegant and put together. I wish I had your hair...

DonyaleM
June 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Your bun looks really nice! :)

little_acorn
June 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
:thud: thats a sock bun and a half :D

ButterCup02
June 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hahaha! I love it! It's massive!

LaurenH
June 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
So pretty! :)

linda g
June 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM
woah! that's huuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

Kristin
June 6th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Holy moly! You have a ton of hair! Now I want to try one of those...I tried pigtail ones in the past, but I have a hard time getting my hair to spread evenly over the sock. Maybe I just need practice.

Bethie
June 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
:thud: Now that is huge bun

ibleedlipstick
June 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
That is so awesome! I have yet to master them, but yours look AMAZING!

spidermom
June 6th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Oh my goodness; amazing!

Arctic_Mama
June 6th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lookin' good! Mine turn out nutso huge as well, but sometimes it's what the doctor ordered :)

Gumball
June 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
The star of the new hit movie "Honey I Blew Up My Bun!" That's one hefty, albeit good looking, sock bun!

dainaleeo2
June 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Wow! That's so awesome & pretty :)
I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do that! Amazing :)

Naamah
June 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM
That's a huge bun! It looks so pretty from the front. :)

Elainehali
June 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Very nice! Try to find that video I'm very interested in this bun.

Is the texture in your siggy natural? It's very :thud: thudworthy!

clichepithet
June 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Loepsie's sock bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM)! Oh, how I wish I could master this already. Your version is excellent, in all its head-eating glory. :D

rachelily
June 6th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Wow! I seriously envy your thick hair! And that second one is funny, haha. I just have to say that you are BEYOND gorgeous!

Sammybunny711
June 6th, 2010, 08:17 PM
That looks AWESOME, UltraBella! What a cool look! I have the exact link you are talking about saved in my folders on my computer, but unfortunately, I am on my husband's laptop atm. Great achievement with this "do!

Mae
June 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I like the double one; it's so funky and fun!

rusika1
June 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Oh my. That's so big, it's practically a beehive!

Did you have trouble starting the first wrap and roll?

Luckysock
June 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Love it! love the double one, how they are asymetrical - but I think the top one needs to be lowered a bit, what do you think?- I think that would make it so super chic! love it!

UltraBella
June 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Loepsie's sock bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM)! Oh, how I wish I could master this already. Your version is excellent, in all its head-eating glory. :D

Thank you for posting it !!!!!!!!!! This video is great. I would have never know how to do it otherwise :)

Elainehali,
No, I wish !!!!!! that is my hair curled with Conair No-Heat Spiral Curlers.

UltraBella
June 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Oh my. That's so big, it's practically a beehive!

Did you have trouble starting the first wrap and roll?

It took me several tries to figure out how to wrap all my ends under to start it, especially since I have layers. I felt like I really needed a third hand, but I got the hang of it quickly after the first couple attempts.

Tressie
June 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Congratulations, that is a very impressive bun! It looks lovely and sort of retro to me! You are beautiful and so is your hair! (o:

GRU
June 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
:thud: thats a sock bun and a half :D

Based on the size, maybe we should call this one a leg-warmer bun instead of a sock bun? :D

It's so funny, now that DS is a hockey player, I have about a dozen pair of "leg-warmers" in my house, which is about ten more pair than I owned back in the 80s! (For those not familiar with hockey equipment, the "hockey socks" that they wear over their shin-guards are huge open-ended socks... basically leg-warmers!)

BTW, it looks great, UB!!!

jessie58
June 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I was hoping you'd try this one UltraBella, per the curling hair without heat thread. Did you get any curls out of it?

jessie58
June 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Also forgot to say it looks awesome. :D

Jessica Trapp
June 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM
What fun!

jes

UltraBella
June 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I was hoping you'd try this one UltraBella, per the curling hair without heat thread. Did you get any curls out of it?

No curls at all unfortunately. It seems to pull all the wave out of my hair. But it is really comfortable to wear :)

Heavenly Locks
June 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM
:bigeyes:

You could probably do a STACKED one!

I'm imagining that you'd leave some hair loose at the center and then roll that in a smaller sock bun on top of the bottom, larger one!

Bummer about the waves though. If you want to use it to set your hair maybe you could use several little socks all over. (that'd look silly!)

jessie58
June 6th, 2010, 11:05 PM

I'm imagining that you'd leave some hair loose at the center and then roll that in a smaller sock bun on top of the bottom, larger one!

Bummer about the waves though. If you want to use it to set your hair maybe you could use several little socks all over. (that'd look silly!)

Stacked? :bigeyes: She'll need higher doorways. :D

Merlin
June 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM
That looks great.....

elliebean184
June 7th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Looks fantastic!
I agree with the "retro" comment: I wore a humungo-sock-bun to a Mad Men party this weekend and got a lot of compliments! (Technically, they were mostly astonished looks, but I figure that's a compliment!)
Nice job, Ultrabella!

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I am wearing this giant sock bun on the top of my head right now. I took it out a while ago to see if it had curled or not and yep, it curled alright, but my hair is barely BSL so it was all bouncy and goofy looking. I put the sock bun back and am going to sleep with it.

Loreley
June 7th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Wow, that's huge and awesome! :D

rach
June 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM
wow i really like that :crush:

alwayssmiling
June 7th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Oooh I love the double bun pic!

RoseRedDead
June 7th, 2010, 05:47 AM
It does indeed look very 1960's-ish. Very cool! I need to try that bun. I will tomorrow when I have clean, dry hair...

FrannyG
June 7th, 2010, 06:14 AM
That really looks beautiful, and I love the way it looks from the front, with the height at the back. It's actually quite flattering.

How do you roll that without crinkling up your ends, by the way? I've seen so many of you do it, but I can't figure that part out.

Lamb
June 7th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Those are formidable sock buns! :D I think your hair is one of the thickest I've ever seen on TLHC, have you ever measured the circumference?

Theobroma
June 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Wow. What an incredibly impressive skull-eating bun -- it looks absolutely gorgeous! :thudpile:

lapushka
June 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!!!

UltraBella
June 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Those are formidable sock buns! :D I think your hair is one of the thickest I've ever seen on TLHC, have you ever measured the circumference?

My circumference is 5.6 inches. That is without my bands or face framing layers.

breezefaerie
June 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
That is gorgeous! Very flattering on you and I've decided you have my dream hair!:crush:

cindy58
June 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
You are so photogenic! I like how it looks from the front, but it's a bit large from the back.

SHELIAANN1969
June 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Holy moley woman, that's a big ole bun ya got there! :thud: It looks great!

Sheltie_Momma
June 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Georgousness. Really really nice. I like big. But then I'm from Texas so my point of reference might be a little different than average!

SHELIAANN1969
June 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Georgousness. Really really nice. I like big. But then I'm from Texas so my point of reference might be a little different than average!

:rollin: @ bolded in red. :D

TiaKitty
June 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Sha-ZAM! That bun is ginormous! Mine looks similar; we have very similar texture and color. If you do it damp, you may get some of the waves, but on me the tightest waves were at the bottom and they got looser as it went up the length. They are pretty waves, too; kind of like the ones in your siggy pic. I'd love to see what damp sock bun waves look like on you!

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
That really looks beautiful, and I love the way it looks from the front, with the height at the back. It's actually quite flattering.

How do you roll that without crinkling up your ends, by the way? I've seen so many of you do it, but I can't figure that part out.

Franny you tuck your ends into the sock before you roll. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/user/Loepsie#p/u/1/3FV-YO46E8Y) the tutorial below where the OP got the idea from.
I will post my photos in my blog later, I'm in love with this bun.

UltraBella
June 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Sha-ZAM! That bun is ginormous! Mine looks similar; we have very similar texture and color. If you do it damp, you may get some of the waves, but on me the tightest waves were at the bottom and they got looser as it went up the length. They are pretty waves, too; kind of like the ones in your siggy pic. I'd love to see what damp sock bun waves look like on you!

I tried it last night, but still no waves or curls. Nothing except for the bend where I tuck my ends into the sock. I think it has something to do with how heavy and coarse my hair is.......

Sammich
June 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
It's eating your head!
What... amazing... hair. *SQUEALS*!
You look so elegant with it! Beautiful, I'm envious. :D

BelleBot
June 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, very impressive, makes my monster fully rolled sock bun seem tiny!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5315&pictureid=72976

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Bellebot, that is freakishly large. :rollin:

Speedbump
June 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Wow, that's just great! The double one is uhm...interesting in a scifi sort of way. ;) The single is just lovely. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

emmabovary
June 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hehe, I like it! It's so... dramatic :D I love sock buns. Shame you couldn't get the sock bun curling to work :(

Capybara
June 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wow!! That is one elegant bun! Almost like an updated beehive. You are so pretty! :)

Rimi
June 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I've only recently found this new do. Love it. I'm growing out my silvers (about 8 or 9 inches now!) and get discouraged seeing the old color in a bun with the new growth on the head. But with the lower hair being on the last roll of this sock bun, my hair color closer to being uniform. I say closer because I'm not as gray at the nape as at the top. Anyway, this is my new fav and has saved me from a major chop! LOVE IT. Oh, and it's so very comfortable.

Lamb
June 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM
My circumference is 5.6 inches. That is without my bands or face framing layers.

:thud: I'm green with envy, that's almost twice as much as I have! You're so lucky.

ButterCream
June 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Woooooow, how lovely! Is is really elegant!

Kind of so elegant that you could go to an Oscar party (because you are going to them all the time, right?:D) and steal aaaall the attention from all the famous actresses! And they will go:
Oooo, who is doing your hair??:D:D:D

Oh, and you are pretty!!:D
(ok, again with the green face, but in a good way, lol:o)

JenniferNoel
June 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Wow that bun is huge (I know, pointing out the very obvious)!
It's very elegant looking and massively stunning!
I wish I had that much hair... :D

Yozhik
June 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Enormously awesome! :D
It's hard to believe something that large on your head would be stable -- but the video says it's very secure, right?

I want to try, but I don't have any "extra" socks lying about . . .

sugarpixie10988
June 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I LOVE it! It's so big and elegant, now I want long hair even more than I originally did :D.

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Okay, here's mine. I did the You Tube tutorial for the rolled sock bun with curls. You do it with dampened hair so that when you take it out the next day, it's curled.
I wore the bun all night, it was so comfortable. In fact I went around the house with it all day too. I got dressed, put on some makeup, then took it out and here's what happened.
Those of you know me, know that I already have big hair but this is BIG hair.
It would make gorgeous curls on BSL length and give incredible body to finer hair.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/LHC%202010/MakeuphairJune2010012.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/LHC%202010/MakeuphairJune2010014.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/LHC%202010/MakeuphairJune2010015.jpg

pineconejg
June 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I was inspired. I tried to learn how to do this from a video. I am not sure if my hair's too short or if my fingers just didn't work. LOL. I'll try again.

TiaKitty
June 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, this does give huge hair when you take it down! Your's looks so bouncy and full, Jessie58!

I had to come and look at it again, UltraBella, just to get the whole thing to fit in my head, it's so huge...

UltraBella
June 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Jessie58, I am so jealous !!! I have absolutely no curl when taken down. Boo :(

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Jessie58, I am so jealous !!! I have absolutely no curl when taken down. Boo :(

Thanks, my hair curls easily. Did you lightly spritz your hair before rolling?

I love the curls you achieved with the rollers in your sig pic, they are perfection.

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, this does give huge hair when you take it down! Your's looks so bouncy and full, Jessie58!

I had to come and look at it again, UltraBella, just to get the whole thing to fit in my head, it's so huge...

Thanks TiaKitty, my hair's always big though, lol.

RecklessCharlie
June 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM
It is eating your head!! In a good way of course :)

UltraBella
June 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks, my hair curls easily. Did you lightly spritz your hair before rolling?

I love the curls you achieved with the rollers in your sig pic, they are perfection.

I did lightly dampen my hair, and my hair usually curls quite well and stays that way for days, but not with this bun for some reason. Nothing !

jessie58
June 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I did lightly dampen my hair, and my hair usually curls quite well and stays that way for days, but not with this bun for some reason. Nothing !

Must be the sheer volume of hair. Such a shame. It would be gorgeous if it would work.

MissManda
June 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
That looks amazing! I agree that it looks remarkably classy and elegant on you!
I think I see the bun plotting world domination... :D

I can't wait for my hair to get longer so my sock bun can be even more abnormally ginormous. Hee hee. I haven't quite mastered this style yet, but I'm pretty close. And I totally agree that it is super-comfy to wear!

Thanks for sharing! :cheese:

little_cherry
June 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Wow! That's an impressive sized sock bun! :D

Sara_1987
June 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I love this look.
I also found that tutorial on youtube and wanted to try it to get curls, but I can't do the sock bun for the life of me! :(

Anyone have any tips? When I try to roll all the hair starts coming out and it gets super messy. I don't really understand where the hair is supposed to go....???

GRU
June 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I love this look.
I also found that tutorial on youtube and wanted to try it to get curls, but I can't do the sock bun for the life of me! :(

Anyone have any tips? When I try to roll all the hair starts coming out and it gets super messy. I don't really understand where the hair is supposed to go....???

Perhaps you could try leaving the sock "loose" and put it over your hair (like an arm inside a sleeve) with it pulled down to the ends of your hair, then roll up the sock and hair at the same time? You could even fold the end of the sock over the very ends of your hair by an inch to help "capture" them.

I haven't tried this method myself, but I thought it might be something to help folks who have layers that try to escape the rolling-up process.

jessie58
June 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I had a heckuva time rolling mine because it's short and has some layers. The key for me was to tuck the ends in very well at the beginning and as you turn the sock inside itself, go all around tightening and tucking the hair with each turn. Once it's rolled down to the head, tuck again and tighten.

missmandy
June 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Haha! I love that. :D

Patty lou
June 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
UltraBella
I love your giant sock bun, both the back and front views are lovely, you are very beautiful and the front view looks so elegant.

Patty lou

Rentlle
June 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM
ow my gosh!!!! it's sooo big!! and sooo beautifull!
i like the little loose hair-thingies on the side too! :)

RoseAnn
June 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM
:bowtome: absolutely beautiful. You have beautiful eyes as well. Love the one with the side fringe. I tried the same video but ended up with a messy awful thing on my head lol.

Peace & Blessings

Islandgrrl
June 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Wow, that's some bun!

I haven't mastered this one yet. I end up with....well....it's a mess, whatever it is!

UltraBella
June 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I had a mess the first few tries too. Just like Jessie58 said, I have to be very careful to tuck all my ends at the beginning so none are loose as I roll it. It takes just a little practice to get the hang of it, especially if you have layers !

DakarNick
June 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Wonderful! I will have to see if soon-to-be dear wife will let me try this.

Alaia
June 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Love the huge bun. :D

I'm going to have to try it, I think. But given that I have layers, that may be a problem.

Kristin
June 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I was motivated to try this bun again after seeing UltraBella's lovely pics. It worked! Yay! I love this bun! Once you get the hang of it, it is super easy and quick. I have layers, too, and had to carefully roll/tuck them the whole way, but it was worth it.

Here it is: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4758&pictureid=74172

It got a bit lumpy at the top, so I still need to get the hair a bit more uniform. I am a bit concerned about the size...My hair isn't even waist-length yet and I used a dress sock...

yellowchariot
June 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
UltraBella, your hair looks extraordinary! I've never seen 2 sock buns that thick at one time, AMAZING! Those are some Ultra do's! :thumbsup:
Hence, the "UltraBun" hehe! rock one!

WritingPrincess
June 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM
That's my favorite kind of sock bun--I can't stand the regular kind but I do this sometimes--because it's so huuuge.. You did a beautiful job!

AuntyClaus
June 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Such fun! I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow!

going gray
June 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM
That is one huge bun. You have beautiful hair.

Leabhar
June 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Amazingly huge! Elegant and Hepburnish, too. Love it.

tcheney91
June 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
I finally did mine! Here it is! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=74874)

Pandora.
June 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM
That bun is bigger than your head! It looks absolutely amazing!!!! :D :D

intothemist1999
June 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I stumbed across this thread when doing a search as a spin-off from a thread I started about bun waves. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50459) I am SOOO glad I found this! I hadn't heard of the "fully rolled" version before. I love the idea of a "stacked" version!!

I just tried it this morning and I love the way it looks!! My camera is AWOL so I can't post a pic. That video was really helpful. I found it quite easy to do, and I agree the trick is to keep smoothing and adjusting as you go.

However, like the young lady does there, I'm not sure if *I* could do it without some pins. I've done it more on the back of my head and it's not flush with my head and now (after about 45 minutes) is kind of hanging and tugging if I move my head. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

I have a hunch it's because my socks is too short (?) or something, because the hole in the middle is a bit larger than I'd expect. At the same time, it would be harder to roll, I would have thought, if the whole were smaller? Maybe higher up on the head would help, too.

I'll have to experiment I guess, and see if I can find another lone sock whose mate has disappeared into the void that is the sock-eating machine....aka "dryer".

GRU
June 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I have a hunch it's because my socks is too short (?) or something, because the hole in the middle is a bit larger than I'd expect.

You could also try doing it with a child-sized sock, which would have a smaller diameter than an adult sock.

SurprisingWoman
June 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Your sock bun looks great and you look gorgeous. What a classy look for a beautiful lady.

PF Graham
June 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
WOW, that's incredibly sexy!

Angela_Rose
June 23rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
...whoa. That's really neat!

prettigurl
June 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM
beautiful bun!

intothemist1999
June 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Some great pics rolling in! tcheney91, that is one crazy-big bun!!

Thanks, UltraBella for starting this thread! All day while examining my bun (I did need to go for pins after all), I kept thinking of yours and how stunning it looked!!

Loepsie
June 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hey, that's my sock bun! Haha xD
It's a shame the curls didn't work for you, It's my all time favourite curling method =) But I guess if your hair is already curly it really just flattens it out...
Anyway thanks for trying and spreading the word ;)

Sissy
June 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
wow, lovely job on the sock bun... mine came out pathetic when I tried a while back... I'll have to have another go at it. Yours looks incredible!

Mexibeach
June 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Absolutely fantastic!!!

SHADOWSCODE46
June 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM
AMAZING! OMG! I love the double ones, those are my favourite out of all the photos.

SimplyViki
June 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hey, that's my sock bun! Haha xD
It's a shame the curls didn't work for you, It's my all time favourite curling method =) But I guess if your hair is already curly it really just flattens it out...
Anyway thanks for trying and spreading the word ;)
Hey, it's Loepsie! I didn't realize you were a member here. :) Yup, your sock bun has been getting several favorable mentions around here. Great concept! :thumbsup:

NorthernDancer
June 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
:thud:

Wow that's one amazing bun! I wish I had that kind of volume! I think my attempt at this would be pitiful by comparison. :(

restourceful
June 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Anyone else wonder how big this would be on say...LadyLongLocks? Or Cinnamon Hair? Or Dianyla?:cheese:

Miasen
June 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
That is one huge and very nice-looking bun! :D I love the look of this completely rolled up sock bun, but I just cannot get the hang of it. I try and try and just keep on failing. XD My hair doesn't seem to like it. ;)

Neoma
June 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
That is one huge and very nice-looking bun! :D I love the look of this completely rolled up sock bun, but I just cannot get the hang of it. I try and try and just keep on failing. XD My hair doesn't seem to like it. ;)
Maisen, that was my experience the first time I tried it. The solution was to keep rolling even after all the hair had been devoured by the sock. Keep rolling, holding the sockbun flat against your head. When you'rve rolled it "into your head" enough, it will stay put like a champ.

HTH :flower:

1nuitblanche
June 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Wow. I know I'm late, but that is one amazing sock bun!! It looks absolutely glamorous on you.

MissManda
June 29th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Okay, this was a while back, but I took inspiration and made my own big sock bun. I can't wait for my hair to get longer so it can get epically huge. :D

I hope the pictures aren't too big.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=74040

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=74039

SHADOWSCODE46
July 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Okay, this was a while back, but I took inspiration and made my own big sock bun. I can't wait for my hair to get longer so it can get epically huge. :D

I hope the pictures aren't too big.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=74040

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=74039

I love it!

simplysnuggle
July 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
:crush::thumbsup:sooooo amazing!!!

growing2shine
July 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Looks amazing... I wish I could make one, but I have tried and it just didn't work at all. :)

Stormphoenix
July 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Awesommee!! I am so super jealous! They all look FAB - ulous!

Sarahmoon
July 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
That's so cool and big!

I don't get how people can do this. I've tried it and after two rolls I quit because I could already sense my hair turning in what would definitely have been the biggest mass of tangles in history.

MissManda
July 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I love it!

Aww, thank you! ^.^

MissySue
July 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
UltraBella , I love it. That first pic has a very elegant 'Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffany's' feel to it. Very classy!!!

Joliebaby
July 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Ooh! Impressive!
I'm looking forward to being able to do some fancy up-dos in a year!

paigeturner
July 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
All these buns looks GORGEOUS!

Neoma
July 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Ooh! Impressive!
I'm looking forward to being able to do some fancy up-dos in a year!Joliebaby, if your hair is as long as it is in your siggy pic, you could totally do a fully rolled sock bun! And it would be huge!

mellie
July 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
They are beautiful and you are so gorgeous!

Kimarie91
July 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I heard about the giant sock bun and finally found it :) I thought mine was huge! It is really pretty. I had some hairpin pain with mine yesterday so I pulled it after half a day. I'll keep practicing though.

LouLaLa
July 26th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Awesome!!!! My sock bun looks weak in comparison, I cant wait till I grow enough to do these styles. :pray:

anrems
July 27th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I love this bun, I've been working on mastering it too, but somehow the sock always shows beacuse my hair is thin. I love the huge bun on you, it looks great!

*Aoife*
July 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM
*gasps*

Oh my.....

amazing :D

TawnyRoots
July 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Gorgeous gorgeous bun! I love HLs fun idea below.... Someone please do it :)

Aerith
July 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
So gorgeous! This has inspired me to try to learn this.

hmmm
August 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I tried one today too! No pictures, alas, because it's nowhere as impressive as any of yours.

I'm wondering how you fasten it - if you do at all. With pins? Elastics? I put a scrunchie around mine...

kdaniels8811
August 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I don't fasten mine at all, just roll it tightly down and it stays all by itself, even while running or sleeping.

UltraBella
August 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I use a few hair pins to make sure mine stays in place.

hmmm
August 9th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I went running right after, and it kind of semi-collapsed on me, probably because my hair is so short. I put it up with bobby pins after that and it was fine.

gossamer
August 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hehe, so after all the recent threads on sock buns, I decided to make my own attempt. Here's my first try.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5520&pictureid=79752

Comments from my ever loving family included: "Looks like a small animal attached to your head." "What's that dog your great aunt has? A Pomeranian?" "If you fell over backwards, you sure wouldn't get a concussion" and "Looks like a helicopter, like you're about to take off." Oh, family.

Luckysock
August 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I love it! I wore a rolled sock bun to an event yesterday and it held up pretty well :) I'm hoping they are less likely to get loose as my hair gets longer....

emsahib
August 19th, 2010, 02:24 PM
You look so elegant and your hair is gorgeous. All my buns look so thin (not that I've atempted a sock bun, don't think it would work at this length with all my layers) Even with your two buns they're still both really thick

XcaliburGirl
August 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
You look so elegant and your hair is gorgeous. All my buns look so thin (not that I've atempted a sock bun, don't think it would work at this length with all my layers) Even with your two buns they're still both really thick
You might be surprised. I've got long layers and was able to do it with wet hair. I did have to put an elastic over it to tuck the stray layered pieces into, but it still looked better than any other bun I could create.

ifyouforget
August 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Wow! That's quite a bun! (and the face that goes with it is gorgeous too:) )

CurlAhead
August 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Wow! That's quite a bun! (and the face that goes with it is gorgeous too:) )

I can't do anything but agree, I just love it! :)

emsahib
August 20th, 2010, 06:05 AM
You might be surprised. I've got long layers and was able to do it with wet hair. I did have to put an elastic over it to tuck the stray layered pieces into, but it still looked better than any other bun I could create.

Well there's no harm in trying :) I do want to learn some new hairstyles

proo
August 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Used one to those scrunchies made of fake hair to roll the bun instead of the sock - it worked great.

heynormy
August 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!! That is one huge bun!! My sock buns are big, but no comparision to yours!! :D