PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Braid?

LaurenH
June 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hi all :)

This is a braid that I've been able to do a few times now, but I'm not sure if it's a french braid, dutch braid, or something else?
I thought someone here would know what it is called! Thanks! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3761&pictureid=73832 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3761&pictureid=73831

FrannyG
June 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
It's an inverted French Braid, meaning that you cross the middle piece over instead of under as you would with a regular French Braid.

Around here though, and on many sites, it's called a Dutch Braid. :)

Yours is beautiful! :blossom:

LaurenH
June 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ok good to know! I thought it looked kinda like a cross between a french and a dutch, lol. Thanks so much :)

spidermom
June 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
No - it's just the opposite. This is the French braid. The Dutch braid is made by crossing each side UNDER the center. (I'm sure of this.)

serious
June 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I agree with spidermom, it's a French braid :) ( and a beautiful one! )

Silver & Gold
June 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I agree with Spidermom.

Here is how I understand it.

If you cross the right and left OVER the middle it is an English braid.

If you cross the right and left UNDER the middle it is a Dutch braid.

If you start at the crown and add pieces as you go in the English braid style it is a French braid and if you add pieces in the Dutch braid fashion it is an inverted French braid.

A dutch braid done in the French braid method (adding pieces as you go) will stand up on your head like a tiny mohawk.

Gumball
June 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
It definitely looks like a French braid, and a well done one at that!

LaurenH
June 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Thank you everyone! :)

Anje
June 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Just another person calling it a french braid.

These are dutch braids (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/technique/braid_examples_dutch.htm), for comparison. They look like the braid is sitting on top of the head, as though it had been laid there and pinned in place.

Emerson
June 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Great job :) I wish I could do that to my hair

GoddesJourney
June 7th, 2010, 12:25 AM
This is a French braid. There are two ways to make on as far as I know. The first is the normal way in which the hair that is added is placed on top of the hair already in the braid when it is crossed over. This has the effect of hiding the hair in the braid. The second way, which is more how you started making it about half way into it, is by placing the hair such the the added hair is under the hair already in the braid, but the braid is still crossing over. This way has the effect of showing the braid, but it is still a French braid and the overall overlapping pattern still creates the general repeating V shaped pattern pointing down. Just though I'd elaborate. Anyway, I'm a real dork about details like that. You can make a pretty cool Dutch braid by doing just the opposite. Place the added hair on top of the hair already in the braid while still crossing under.

Teazel
June 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Very nice French braid. :thumbsup: