PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid if my hair doesn't stop shedding I'll have to cut it

Brenda714
June 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I know that the summer months bring more shedding, so I'm trying to hold out for this, but I'm afraid if it keeps up if it keeps up I'll only be left with a few stands left and l'll have to cut to shoulder length, I am so discouraged cause it's all out of my control and it's getting thinner. Any suggestions?

Gumball
June 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM
People can shed 100 hairs a day on average due to the ongoing cycle of growth of the individual strands. The real thing is if you're just worried about that number of hairs (also longer hairs make it look like more get shed). I would take a few measurements of your ponytail circumference to get an average, since the only real concern would be if over time that circumference reduces drastically. If you're worried about shed, how is your overall health? Hydration, diet, and general health play a huge part in hair growth and shedding, as does recent bouts of great stress.

loralie
June 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM
What Gumball said!

Are you using shampoo with SLS in it (Sodium Laurel Sulphate)? I know when I quit using it my shedding slowed right down. Are you eating healthy? Getting lots of water?

MSM can give you sheds... Biotin is apparently supposed to help the shedding stop.

If you're stretching washes or washing every few days, and you seem to lose it in the shower, it may be the shed hairs that are stuck in your hair until you wash them out. That could make it look like more than it is!

I'm so sorry you're having trouble! :blossom:

Definitely search "shedding" on the forum and see what you can read about it!

Deborah
June 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Cutting it won't make the shedding stop or lessen, so why cut? You will end up with short hair that sheds just the same as it does now.

You are probably having a seasonal shed, many people do, and it will pass. Just hang in there and treat your hair very well.

Good luck!

Gypsygirl
June 7th, 2010, 12:40 AM
In agree with what the others said, don't do anything drastic! Give your hair some time and make sure to really baby it- always! Don't blow dry or curl it, don't wash it every day... I honestly think it's mainly my laziness that has left my hair and scalp in pretty good condition! If that doesn't help within two or three weeks, you should talk to the doctor about yours. It could be stress, allergies, diet or you may need to take certain supplements. Start with those things and see if it helps at all. One step at a time... No need to cut right now. :flower:

jera
June 7th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Are your health and diet okay? :confused: Are you or have you been under a great deal of stress within the past Year? This can cause majot shedding. Hair is a window to our physical and emotional condition. When these are out of balance the result is traumatized hair.