PDA

View Full Version : Is Straight Hair Supposed To Curl At The Ends?

RyanFialcowitz
June 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I've been growing my hair out for some time now and I've noticed that the ends of my hair curl up and out in a J or L shape. The rest of my hair is completely straight, except for these ends. Length also does not seem to be a factor as shorter hairs exibit the same behavior. Combing it sometimes makes a slight difference, but other times it just amplifies the problem. Would a brush help?

My hair is just starting to creep past my shoulder at this point and being a guy I know nothing about caring for long hair. I've been washing and shampooing everyday but I've heard this is the wrong thing to do. But even a day without it and my hair starts to get yucky. I'm wondering if this might be contributing to the unwanted curling. It's not so bad that I wouldn't consider washing less but I'd like to know if it's the cause or not.

I've heard that not shampooing at all can cause the oils in the hair to add weight which cause, theoretically, solve my problem but not shampooing at all but I've also heard this can be a bad move as well. . .

Lastly, aside from the curling at the ends of my hair, I think it looks great. But the curling is really starting to get me down and I'm considering cutting it. If it's going to take using straightening products daily I think I will.

Hopefully you folks can offer some good solutions and let me know if this is normal or not. Thanks in advance.

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

Emerson
June 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I also have straight hair and it has always flipped out at the ends when it was shoulder length :) It stopped after it grew a bit longer, I guess the weight of the extra hair maybe?

sunshine-locks
June 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM
mine does that too, quite alot but its not as bad when my hair isn't freshly washed

Oskimosa
June 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Yep! Especially when you get to any new level, it will do that. Mine did and does. So many other questions there, though... Just start browsing around, it's alot to take in at once! There is a great wealth of info in the Articles section as well.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) is where I started. and can help you too! :)

LawyerGirl
June 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
My hair is right at shoulders, and though I have some wave anyway, it definitely curls out more at the ends.

birthmarkie
June 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
My ends also "curl" :)

RyanFialcowitz
June 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
So, any suggestions as to how to proceed? Should I reduce the frequency of my washings, brush instead of comb, ectera?

Or will it go away with time? At the moment I find this hard to believe. But I've heard a few people say this. I lose hope however, when every response to this thread says it is common but only one says it will go away on it's own. . .

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

sugarpixie10988
June 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
For me, anything shoulder length or above does that annoying flippy thing. Right after it passes shoulder length it goes away. It may have to do with the weight of the hair combined with it sitting on your shoulders, causing it to curl. If I were you I'd try waiting it out. If it really bugs you then you could try taking a round brush and curling the ends under.

Aurielle
June 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
So, any suggestions as to how to proceed? Should I reduce the frequency of my washings, brush instead of comb, ectera?

Or will it go away with time? At the moment I find this hard to believe. But I've heard a few people say this. I lose hope however, when every response to this thread says it is common but only one says it will go away on it's own. . .

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

It should go away once your hair is past shoulder length. My hair is not straight, but my hair did the serious curling thing at the ends at that length. Once my hair was long enough to stay behind my shoulders or in front of them, the flippy thing went away. I just had to deal with it for a while.

ETA: I don't think changing the frequency of washing it or anything else will help. I'd just wait it out. Good luck! :)
ETA 2: Also, back when my hair was that length, I flat-ironed it daily (!) and it still did the flippy thing at the ends after an hour or so, so I would definately not suggest hurting your hair with heat to try fixing that.

GlassEyes
June 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Typically, anything above true 1a will do that at shorter lengths, maybe even when it's longer...I think.

beez1717
June 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
My hair does just that. It's so annoying since it tangles so easily. i brush my hair and it helps a lot :)

FrannyG
June 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
My hair is stick straight, but even my hair flips at the end in certain lengths. Especially when my hair was just above and at shoulder length, I always had a flip. It's because of where your hair rests as it dries. Your neck and shoulders automatically flip it.

I have it happen at other lengths as well, depending on where my hair is in relation to a particular curve on my body. Once it is well below APL, it rarely happens.

As to how to fix it? I wouldn't worry about it. You'll grow out of it before you know it. :)

Capybara
June 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My hair used to do this all the time, but now it only does it occasionally. I think that, the longer it gets, the less it will curl at the ends :)

Arctic_Mama
June 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I'd actually suggest you're a 1b if you're getting some body wave. Nothing wrong with that at all, very few people have completely stick straight hair. Is damaging it with a straightening iron worth slightly straighter lengths? Really? I would suggest you'd be better off embracing the slight flip than stressing about it, and as it gets longer it could very well do it less and less.

spidermom
June 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
To maintain the moisture in your hair, try applying conditioner to the length before you wash your scalp area. As your hair gets longer, the flip/curve will likely be pulled out. Meanwhile, pull it back into a ponytail (with a hair-friendly elastic) if the flippy ends bother you.

Or of course you could keep it short; nothing wrong with that, unless long hair is what you really want. If you do, hang in there. This too shall pass, and something else will come along to annoy you.