PDA

View Full Version : We've All Heard the Negative, What About the Positive

BlueMuse
June 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I know everyone has their frustrating stylist stories or the "just a little shorter and you'd look so much better" comments from stylists, but who has had positive comments about their length from the guys and gals with the scissors?

My mom is a perm girl and has had curly hair as long as I remember (despite being naturally stick straight) and since this is her preference, she's had one stylist or another as long as I've been alive.

Her current stylist lives in her neighborhood so sometimes we see her when my mom and I are out walking. One day I asked her how much she'd charge to perm my hair (just out of curiosity) and she looked taken aback.

"First," she said. "We'd have to have a looong talk about why you'd want to do something like that. Why would you ever want to mess with what you've got?"

She was really relieved when she realized I wasn't at all serious about dousing my head down with chemicals.

Has anyone else had a stylist be positive or even outright argumentative about why your long hair is great the way it is?

jane53
June 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
My stylist (whom I've raved about here in several other threads) has tailbone length hair herself. She and her colleagues are very supportive of my long hair and I couldn't be happier with her and everyone at the shop.:cheese::cheese:

jaine
June 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I love my hairstylist!! :)
My pixie cut has officially grown for 6 entire months without any awkwardness. That's some skillz! I don't know how she did it but I'll definitely go back to her when I have some length to play with. I love haircuts that grow out gracefully.

amaiaisabella
June 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
It's been a long time since I've been to my hairstylist, but she was always super supportive about just trimming my hair and encouraging me to not give up. When I go back home I think I'm going to make an appointment with her :)

misspriss
June 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I've only been to my current stylist once, he probably doesn't even remember me. But he was awesome!

He gave me specifically what I asked for, and it looked wonderful. Looked great growing out too, because it was a really good cut for my hair type. The only reason I haven't been back is because I am growing it, I loved the guy.

Melisande
June 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Less than a week ago, I walked into a salon I didn't know willing to have my hair cut if the stylist looked okay. And I was lucky! A nice young woman cut exactly the number of cm that I had asked her for, exactly in the shape I had asked her for, and she was very friendly and didn't chat at all! I will continue to go there to have my ends cut. For many years, I didn't step into a hairdresser's, but this experience was just great.

SHELIAANN1969
June 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I love my bald hairdresser Ken, he is fantabulous, smart, funny, sweet and a total sweetheart. That said he is a great hairdresser as well, he always does as I ask and raves to everyone in the salon about my *natural henna* and makes them look at the color, he is super sweet and perfect in every way!

(shouts out, I love you Ken!! :inlove: :crush: :heartbeat) lol

elliebean184
June 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
As a teen without the patience and skills to manage my hair, I considered the japanese-straightening at a local salon. I went in for a consultation and was happy to hear that my hair was lovely and that I should keep the curls. The stylist didn't try to sell me anything, recommend a cut or anything! She just let me figure it out, without too much pushing- just what I needed. I'll always be grateful! And I'll definitely head to her first, should I need a cut.

Bast
June 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM
My stylist is very supportive; she and I had a nice chat about growing hair and what I'm doing. Since she understands the desire to grow one's hair out, I don't walk out with crazy cuts or more taken off than I ask, and also doesn't push me into recutting my layers or making my bangs short again.

She also doesn't push me into cutting more often than I want, which is also really nice.

BeatlesFanGirl
June 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I've been to 2 stylists lately: one guy, who told me that my hair is thick, and I could grow to my waist soon. The other girl who I went to in April was amazed by my hair, how healthy and thick (!) it is, she told all the other hairdressers around how amazing and healthy my hair was :D One of them even thought my hair was extensions!! :O (I mean, what?? My hair is not extremely long yet!) She told me that she rarely saw such healthy hair like mine.

Sarahmoon
June 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I did! About five years ago, my hair was about mid back length and I went to the hairdresser to let it cut to arm pit length because I thought I had a lot of split ends.
When I told him how much I wanted him to cut, he said "Really that much? Are you sure? But that would be a such a waste! You only have about two inches of split ends."
I thought "uhh ok" and just let him cut as much as he deemed fit. That obviously was before I decided to actively grow my hair.

anthonyswife
June 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I've actually known my stylist since I was 5 years old. She's still in business and has always been incredibly supportive of everything I've done with my hair. I've always kept it rather short in the past, so she's absolutely amazed with how long it is right now (waist length) and is very happy to help me keep my length. She only cuts exactly how much I say to cut. She's the only person I let touch my hair with scissors!

BunnyBee
June 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Well I've only visited a hairdresser a handful of times in my life.. lol
But the last time I went I got a negatively positive comment... or positively negative. Anyway I was telling her how I'm cutting my hair to get rid of the bleach/dye damage and she told me "Oh but it's actually in quite good condition"

Which would be fine, if I could not SEE the splits on every single hair. I don't trust hairdresser's judgement on damage at all....

Maybe they always try to compliment so you feel 'cared about' or something lol

RoseRedDead
June 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My stylist is my mom. Always does what I want (usually 1/4-1/2 inch trim in a gentle U-shape). :crush: I love you, Mom!

mellie89
June 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I had a great hairstylist last time I went in for a trim. She was very gentle and she took off EXACTLY one inch, which is what I asked for. She also spent almost an hour and a half carefully putting in long layers and cutting my side bangs.

She also told me that my natural haircolor (which has grown out to around jaw-length) is gorgeous and that I better not bleach it again or even get highlights. :) I was beaming when I left!

ibleedlipstick
June 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I had one in the state that used to live in that was awesome. Super supportive, nice to both me and my hair, and never made any comments about how weird my hair is. It was awesome. If gas didn't cost so much, I would gladly drive 6 hours to see her.

spidermom
June 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
My stylist is awesome, too. I asked her last visit whether she thought that face-framing layers would be a good idea, and she looked at me from all angles and said "no - you're fine." This impressed me because layers would probably have required more upkeep, but she didn't jump on the opportunity to make more money from me.

haharobots
June 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I love my hairstylist!! :)
My pixie cut has officially grown for 6 entire months without any awkwardness. That's some skillz! I don't know how she did it but I'll definitely go back to her when I have some length to play with. I love haircuts that grow out gracefully.

Yes, that does take some skills! I thought growing out my pixie was a pain. BTW, your hair in your avatar pic is supa-cute. :)

My stylist is supportive of me growing out. I'd been keeping it at nape-length because I was on active duty with the military (and hair can't be too long), but now I am anti-trim! I think my last cut was in February? And I got fringe. She want's to trim me about every 6 weeks, but my wallet can't handle all that. I could probably use a micro-trim, though.

Masara
June 6th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I haven't been to a stylist for at least three years but this was the person who got me from pixie to chin length bob painlessly and then told me that if I really wanted to grow my hair, then I should stop coming so often (I'm not sure she meant leaving a 3+ year gap)

Many year ago, when I had my hair cut from waist to very, very short. the stylist was obviously worried I was going to regret it. He cut in stages (waist to BSL, BSL to shoulder, shoulder to chin, chin to pixie) and every time, he got me to look and say if it was short enough.

Katze
June 7th, 2010, 03:30 AM
A month or so ago I went to have my hair trimmed and was interested in getting bangs. I had been to the salon before, for my corrective color (see pic with horse) but not since, and that was almost 4 years ago.

The stylist, who turned out to be one of the owners, was very respectful, did not use heat (some kind of hot comb for 'Sealing the ends') when I told her I did not want it, handled my hair gently, only cut about 3-4 inches off, and even reassured me that my hair is growing back nicely from my massive postpartum shed. I would go to her again, even though I have now cut my bangs twice myself. ;)

I think if you get someone who really understands hair and is willing to respect your wishes, AND if you are self confident enough to know what you want and don't want, and to communicate this effectively, salons can be good! Even without that, i had a good experience once at a (VERY expensive) salon in NYC - the woman told me I had fine hair and gave me some tips on how to better treat it gently (no metal elastics, using leave-in). This coincided with my first finding out about more natural hair care, from a black friend with dreads, so I was open and receptive to what she had to say, and decided at that point to start growing my hair out too.

Arniky
June 7th, 2010, 03:43 AM
hair dresser do give nice comments also but even if its not what one wants sometimes it is just a genuine opinion. had been to the hair dresser with aunt , they told hair looks nice gave a small trim and suggested to have it long