PDA

View Full Version : That fuzzy short hair at the neckline - how to fix it?

Boudicca
June 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM
OK. Whatever that daft short stuff is that grows that the hairline of the neck is, I hate it. Anytime I pull my hair up into a ponytail or a bun, I have this chunk of frizz at the back that makes the whole thing look messy.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this stuff?

Gumball
June 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I just learned to accept it for what it was. When that happened it became much less frustrating to have! If you trim it then it grows back, and same for if you shaved it off regularly. For me, on the other hand, I have short terminal hair all around my hairline, so learning to live with one section helped me learn to live basically with the rest of my head, too. It's almost like a permanent chance to be fluffy in wind, too. Goodness me!

jane53
June 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Everyone has them. They're new hairs growing in. Mine are straight, but not appealingly straight. I envy your curly tendrils!

See if some aloe or hair gel will keep them up if they really bother you.

But I'm sure they look good.

Aliped
June 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I love mine - my hair is straight and almost to waist, but the curly tendrils at the nape, make updos look less severe. :)

spidermom
June 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I twirl mine around wet, lightly gelled fingers to encourage curly tendrils.

Kristin
June 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I've had them forever. There is nothing you can do, unfortunately. Some days I like mine and other days I feel like cutting them just to punish them.

Calista
June 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM
They don´t bother me. Everyone has them.

Loreley
June 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM
They don't bother me either. :) I usually wear a low bun so they are not very noticeable.

Sarahmoon
June 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I usually just leave them. Sometimes I pin them up with a bobby pin.

Yozhik
June 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I don't pay that much attention to mine.

When my hair was shorter, whenever I put my hair up (I had to put it up high, otherwise I couldn't get it in a pony), my neck layers would fall out. That was truly annoying! Now that the neck layer is longer, I just have those wispies, and I feel lucky :)

frizzinator
June 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
My nape hair would break after getting caught on or around a necklace, so I stopped wearing them. Nowdays I always wear my hair up which looks great with earrings. With the updo, I could wear a necklace, but since I have to wear a hair toy and glasses, I think that adding both the earrings and a necklace would be too many accessories around my head.

I am considering eliminating my coats, jackets and tops that have stand-up collars, because they create friction on the hair around the nape of my neck.

lemonmelon
June 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I sort of think they're cute :)

Kathie
June 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I have some too. Generally they're well behaved. But if they tried to lash out and get all frizzy I'd dampen them down, maybe add a bit of moisture- a very small touch of oil or some aloe- and then try to encourage curls. Or just dampen and leave them to curl on their own.

XcaliburGirl
June 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I like them, too.

However, I do remember seeing someone post in a blog that she waxed them off the back of her neck.

Speckla
June 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Add conditioner or oil or any product you will leave in to those areas first. That makes them more like to lie flat against the rest of my hair. Or I use a bobbypin or even try to tuck them into the rest of my hair if they're long enough.

BlueMuse
June 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Mine don't bother me. I also have short little wings on the sides of my head near my temples that curl up in the rain. I just tuck them behind my ears and live with it. They've never really bothered me.

In2wishin
June 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have them too and welcome them. They tend to soften the look of my updo. Usually I will dampen them and wrap around my finger to give a little direction to the curl but otherwise leave them alone.....even when my friends like to pull them so they can watch them spring back into the little snails :p

Boudicca
June 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I guess from the responses I'm maybe being a little neurotic! :D

I'll try deeply conditioning those areas so that they might lie a little flatter. I'll post pics after I have a bash.

Thanks guys! :flowers:

PF Graham
June 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
OK. Whatever that daft short stuff is that grows that the hairline of the neck is, I hate it. Anytime I pull my hair up into a ponytail or a bun, I have this chunk of frizz at the back that makes the whole thing look messy.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this stuff?

Men get this in a different way then women - for the most part, ours are more like chest hair - course and a pain in the ass.

I hate 'um too but what can you do.

Trim them I guess - that's what I do.

sibiryachka
June 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM
DBF shaves his occasionally. Mine are annoyingly poofy when left to their own devices, but if I wet them down with Kimberlily's defrizz spray and give them a little twirl, they turn into ringlets. That also happens if I get sweaty, then let them air-dry.
For years my mother used to drive me nuts with tweaking those little curls... The issue was not that it tickled, but that back of the neck is one of my top 3, ahem, "zones". Slapping her hand and telling her to cut it out just encouraged her to tease me more, until the day I finally turned around, looked her in the eye and told her, "The kind of shudders that gives me should not coming from my mother". She's kept her hands off them since! :p

gossamer
June 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
For years my mother used to drive me nuts with tweaking those little curls... The issue was not that it tickled, but that back of the neck is one of my top 3, ahem, "zones". Slapping her hand and telling her to cut it out just encouraged her to tease me more, until the day I finally turned around, looked her in the eye and told her, "The kind of shudders that gives me should not coming from my mother". She's kept her hands off them since! :p

Hilarious!

FrannyG
June 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Mine aren't so fuzzy, as my hair is pin-straight, but I do have a cowlick there, so the baby hairs on my left side stick out straight to the left. It does look unusual, but those hairs just never grow enough to go in any hairstyle.

I have just learned to like them, and they don't bother me at all anymore.

PF Graham
June 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Men's short fuzzies suck and women's short fuzzies are cute & adorable - that's all there is to it.

Men suck & women rock!

Wait, well, you know what I mean....