PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Feye's self trim method!

countryhopper
June 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Well, the even ends from my A line bob were irritating me after growting them out about a year. So I looked up Feye's self trim method and read the instructions for the slight U shape. I combed and combed (stalling :)) and took off no more than half an inch. It turned out so nice! Since the center back layers were shorter to begin with, instead of a U shape it looks more like a straight across blunt cut. My plan is to do a self trim every few months, taking just a tiny bit off at a time (half an inch or less) so that my hair will take on the slight U shape.

Since I always measure from the shorter back layers, I really didn't lose any length. My ends feel much nicer now!

So now I can officially recommend this method to those wanting a trim but afraid to go to the hairdresser! :cheese:The instructions are simple and easy to understand. You can take your time, and take off as little as you'd like.

frizzalot
June 5th, 2010, 08:48 AM
glad your self trim turned out good! :)

Capybara
June 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Yay for self trimming! Glad you got good results :D :cheer:

Heidi_234
June 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I did the U-shape trim too yesterday. :bounce: I think I owe Feye lots of uncut inches of hair by now. :laugh:

countryhopper
June 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I did the U-shape trim too yesterday. :bounce: I think I owe Feye lots of uncut inches of hair by now. :laugh:

I know, right?

It seems so ridiculous to me to pay money to go to a stylist for a tiny trim I can do in my house in 10 minutes and be absolutely certain no more is taken off than I want!

Heidi_234
June 5th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I know, right?

It seems so ridiculous to me to pay money to go to a stylist for a tiny trim I can do in my house in 10 minutes and be absolutely certain no more is taken off than I want!
Exactly! :agree:

I'm glad it worked well for you, because I've read that those with straighter hairtypes have more trouble getting it right (I just don't have to, I have curls to disguise it :p)

MsBubbles
June 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I've read that those with straighter hairtypes have more trouble getting it right (I just don't have to, I have curls to disguise it :p)

You're right. There's no disguising a bad/lopsided cut on dead-straight, fine hair. But the self-trim works great. I can cut millimeters at a time and keep doing it until it's straight (I use the blunt cut instructions). Glad the self-trim worked for you, Countryhopper!

And I just jumped on here to echo the thread title! If I had needed to get a stylist to trim my hair I would still be at APL right now - with layers. Ugh.

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'm very happy your self trim worked well for you :)

I too love Feye's self trim method. :inlove:

longinthehair
June 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
A question about this self-trim method. My side part is my usual parting for my hair. Is it best to do the self-trim with hair parted in middle and then after trim, return to my side part, or self-trim with my side part? I could never figure this out? Any advice?

DonyaleM
June 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I'm glad this worked out for you! I plan on using this method for my next trim.

Sammich
June 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Ahh, the self trim. <3 Amazing invention! ;)

FrannyG
June 5th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I am yet another who is grateful to Feye for her wonderful instructions. I love being in total control of my hair, and even a klutz like me with pin-straight hair can do it!

Birdsong
June 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'm glad your trim worked out for you. I self trimmed with a U shape about a month ago and I loved it.

Pear Martini
June 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
does anyone have a link of know where I can find it?

Pumpkin
June 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Here ya go...
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Pear Martini
June 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM
thanks pumpkin! :D

MsBubbles
June 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
A question about this self-trim method. My side part is my usual parting for my hair. Is it best to do the self-trim with hair parted in middle and then after trim, return to my side part, or self-trim with my side part? I could never figure this out? Any advice?

I usually try to put my part(ing) somewhere near the middle of my head for the self-trim because I usually wear it on the side, too. Honestly though I have not noticed anything bad either way. Sometimes I forgot and just self-trimmed with the side part in the normal place. I usually have to go through the whole procedure three times to make sure it's even.

Pumpkin
June 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
thanks pumpkin! :D

No prob. :D Give it a try...I am glad I did. Not only are you in control of your hair, but think of all the money you will save trimming your own hair!! :cheese:

countryhopper
June 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I part my hair on the side, too, longinthehair. To do this trim I parted it in the middle as the instructions said. I don't think it changes the final hemline if you trim it this way and then wear your side part. in fact, in the instructions she suggests combing your hair to the side to check for any longer pieces that might have been missed.

I wonder if she has instructions on doing face framing layers or side swept bangs??

Unofficial_Rose
June 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Oh, how I love Feye's self-trim! It's saved me quite a bit of hair (not to mention cash and tedious hours at a salon).

Glad it worked for you.

EdG
June 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I used Feye's self-trim method for years, even before it was known as Feye's self-trim. :D

Feye is a hero. :cheese:
Ed

Jammy
June 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Are there any self-trim tutorials out there for layers? I've been looking online and cant find anything! Layers are the only reason I'd go to a hair dresser and I'd love to be able to do that myself!

countryhopper
June 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Are there any self-trim tutorials out there for layers? I've been looking online and cant find anything! Layers are the only reason I'd go to a hair dresser and I'd love to be able to do that myself!

The only instructions I know of for layers are the put-your-hair-in-a-ponytail-cut-the-ponytail-off thing. I've NEVER had good results with that one, but maybe someone else has? It might be worth googling...