PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Wear To Bed?

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 08:07 AM
It seems that most members here braid their hair or otherwise "put it away" before bed to prevent tangles.

I was wondering what people use to secure their braids or other 'dos as I would assume that elastics would cause at least some breakage. Scrunchies, scarves, ribbons or loose with silk pillow cases -- I would love to here your preferences and advice!

So, what do you use? :)

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 08:12 AM
*hear. <smh> It's early, yet.

jane53
June 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I wear my hair loose unless I've just washed it, in which case I braid it wet, without combing or brushing, and use nothing to secure the braid.

I feel it's more damaging to my hair to have something securing it while I sleep.

marikamt
June 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Haha.... I thought you were asking about nighties and PJ's......... :doh:
Have only had one cup of coffee.....

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Aha! jane53 that makes so much sense, thank you.

Due to the aversion the hair gurus here seem to have against the elastics, I couldn't figure out how they were keep the braids in. It never occurred to me that they were simply not securing them! :)

Do you find that your hair comes stays fairly secure while you sleep? And, if it's not prying too much, are you a toss & turn kind of sleeper or do you tend to stay generally in one spot?

Thanks again for your input!

Xandrra
June 5th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I bun it with an elastic, or if I'm going somewhere let it loose so it stays straight for the next day.

I'm really thinking of getting a silk cap or something for it, I have some loose bits of satin material lying around so if I'm not too lazy might make something :)

Oh and I use a satin pillow case, I got used to it so much that whenever I sleep on normal pillowcases I can almost feel my hair rubbing and damaging against the rough fabric, but thats probably just me being paranoid :)

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Mercy. My typos are taking over almost completely. Sorry to those trying to make sense of my posts! I'm going to put my responses on pause until my brain is awake enough to function properly.

marikamt, that might a worthwhile off topic thread, it brought you in here after all. ;)

Capybara
June 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I too thought this was about what we wear for clothing .. :lol:

If I want braid waves, I braid it and will secure it with a metal-free elastic. I don't braid all the way down, the tassel is about half a foot long.

If I want bun waves, I'll put it in a top knot (bee-butt, usually) and secure with a scrunchie or small clip.

Otherwise, if I want it straight, I'll sleep with it loose, or make a looser top knot and not secure it with anything.

Welcome to LHC, by the way! :blossom:

lesbia
June 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I usually braid my hair and secure them with a big and soft elastic, or I make a high ponytail with a cotton large band if I want staight hair the next week.

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Oh and I use a satin pillow case, I got used to it so much that whenever I sleep on normal pillowcases I can almost feel my hair rubbing and damaging against the rough fabric, but thats probably just me being paranoid :)

I'm going to have to research the benefits of silk pillow cases vs. high thread count cotton. If it makes that big of a difference, I'd be willing to give it a try.

It would have to be a pretty dramatic results, though. Silk feels really, really weird on my skin -- I absolutely cannot imagine sleeping on it. Just the thought of having it on my face all night gives me the heebie-jeebies! shudder:

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I too thought this was about what we wear for clothing .. :lol:

I think a new thread is going to have to be made! People are certainly welcome to tell me what pjs they wear. ;)

Thank you so much for the welcome!

Carolyn
June 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I often have to loose. I like the way it feels and I don't get too many tangles. I have high thread count cotton sateen pillowcases. If I've braided it for the day, I'll leave it in the same braid for overnight. I'm lazy. If I do a heavy oiling, I'll braid it. I use hair safe, non-metal elastics. I don't think I get breakage from using them.

I thought this was going to be about jammies/or no jammies :silly:

naereid
June 5th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm still trying to figure it out.

When I first discovered LHC I tried bunning it. It fell out during the night because I toss and turn.
Then I tried doing two braids. Then I tried doing one braid. But my hair looks awful after braiding, so I gave up on that too.
Then I tried a bee-butt bun. Nice waves, but it hurts my neck when I turn on my back during the night.
Now I'm putting it in a ponytail on the top of my head. I don't know how protective it is, but at least it's out of the way.

jane53
June 5th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Aha! jane53 that makes so much sense, thank you.

Due to the aversion the hair gurus here seem to have against the elastics, I couldn't figure out how they were keep the braids in. It never occurred to me that they were simply not securing them! :)

Do you find that your hair comes stays fairly secure while you sleep? And, if it's not prying too much, are you a toss & turn kind of sleeper or do you tend to stay generally in one spot?

Thanks again for your input!

That's why I only braid it wet. It stays in fairly well wet. It would come out entirely when dry.

I'm neither extremely tossy and turny nor entirely calm!

countryhopper
June 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I style my hair during the night. :D

If I want big, loose ringlets, I make sock curls.

If I want deep Z waves, I braid 4 knee socks in my hair (drape the sock over a lock so that when you braid it two sections will be sock and one is your hair)

If I want it mostly straight with a slight wave, I do a loose top knot and secure with a scrunchie.

I only sleep with it loose if it is drying from being washed, and if i wake up and it is dry I will put it in a loose top knot.

So I guess you could say that I wear socks to bed :D

spidermom
June 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I make a top of head braid and secure the ends with one of those soft, fluffy hair-tie thingies.

Polyhex
June 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I sleep with it loose, kind of folded back and forth above my pillow. I don't have a special pillowcase.

Sarahmoon
June 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Haha.... I thought you were asking about nighties and PJ's......... :doh:
Have only had one cup of coffee.....

Same here, and it's almost 6pm :p

I secure my braid with one of those soft elastics that don't have metal parts. Like these (http://www.brocanteroosjes.nl/article8417346.jpg).

Gumball
June 5th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I secure my braid with a very smooth little scrunchie, which fortunately doesn't slide off while I sleep.

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I often have to loose. I like the way it feels and I don't get too many tangles. I have high thread count cotton sateen pillowcases. If I've braided it for the day, I'll leave it in the same braid for overnight. I'm lazy. If I do a heavy oiling, I'll braid it. I use hair safe, non-metal elastics. I don't think I get breakage from using them.

I thought this was going to be about jammies/or no jammies :silly:

This is my current "style" too, Carolyn: loose w/ high thread count cotton. Although if I do an overnight oil, I just drape a towel over my pillow and sleep that way. It's good to hear from you and Polyhex -- long, luscious looks that are obviously healthy with these sleeping habits. I've never grown my hair past waist length so I was unsure about the necessary care during slumber.

Great ideas from everyone! Really loving the nightly style tips ... going to have to check out the bee-butt bun and countryhopper's "socks". ;)

greyTraveler
June 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I've just started here, so I hadn't given it much thought until a couple of weeks ago. However, right now I put it in a high pony tail folded over (I'm not sure if that has another name), with the the folded part in the last loop of the soft hair tie I use. My DW calls it my samurai look.

This way it's all above my head and I don't roll on it. I'm just using a regular pillow.

greyTraveler

Purdy Bear
June 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
A long time ago, in the time when I had long hair, I used to English braid it and sling it over the pillow and it somehow stayed there in the night. Not sure who suggested it to me, either the Dr or my grandmother.

Speckla
June 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I sleep with a satin bonnet on my head. I put my hair into a french twist and pulling the bonnet on from the back to front. That way I don't have to use anything to secure the twist. I take the bonnet off in the morning and untwist my hair. No tangles that way.

UltraBella
June 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I sleep with a bun on top of my head secured with a crunchy. I can't describe my bun though, I am not sure what it is called. I came up with it several years ago, but I am sure it must exist and have a name in the real world :)

DonyaleM
June 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I usually wear my hair in one braid, with a no damage elastic band at the bottom. I ALWAYS wear a satin scarf or bonnet with it. There is no way I'm sleeping on any type of cotton unprotected!

Coffeebug
June 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM
UltraBella - you look awesome in your new sig picture!

I sleep with mine braided - because it's always braided - always, unless I'm washing or combing it LOL I fasten it off with a doughnut bobble (or I think some people call them ponios?) I sling the braid behind the pillow and that way I can roll over without a big fancy to-do LOL

Xandrra
June 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
It would have to be a pretty dramatic results, though. Silk feels really, really weird on my skin -- I absolutely cannot imagine sleeping on it. Just the thought of having on my face all night gives me the heebie-jeebies! shudder:
Satin doesn't have to have a silk texture, I have some Satin pillowcases that just feel like very smooth cotton, but not silk-like almost liquid smooth if you get me (maybe they're the high thread cotton type you referred to?), from reading LHC they are just as good as silk, so if you don't like the feeling of it try them instead.

Supposedly its good for preventing wrinkles too, because your face isn't mushed into a rough wrinkly fabric all night :) So double the benefit :cheese:

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Satin doesn't have to have a silk texture, I have some Satin pillowcases that just feel like very smooth cotton, but not silk-like almost liquid smooth if you get me (maybe they're the high thread cotton type you referred to?), from reading LHC they are just as good as silk, so if you don't like the feeling of it try them instead.

Xandrra, thanks so much for the info -- this is great advice. I haven't explored the various texture possibilities simply because of the creepy feel of regular silk. Again:shudder:

But I'm willing to give anything a try, especially if someone of respect swears by it.

Supposedly its good for preventing wrinkles too, because your face isn't mushed into a rough wrinkly fabric all night :) So double the benefit :cheese:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:yawn:.... :sleep:

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone for chiming in! Lots of good, and varying, techniques.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to start that jammie thread in the off topic section soon. :eyebrows:

DonyaleM
June 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Whaaaaat? Thanks for the FYI!!! I didn't know this.

Stephichan
June 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
When my hair was "long" I wold either french or english braid it before bed. Sometimes I left it loose since I don't move much in my sleep. I tried high buns (one or two) a few times, but it didn't always work out so well.

jeanniet
June 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I wear a Stay-On Satin bonnet. They are dirt cheap at Walmart and work very well. My hair isn't long enough to stay in a braid very well (OK, I'm bad at braiding), and if I leave it loose it's a horrible, snarled mess. With a sleep bonnet, I can get up and finger comb my hair--no tangles at all.

Yozhik
June 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Since I sleep on my back, I can't do anything that bunches my hair on the back of my head. This means that most of the time I do pigtail English braids, or loose pigtails. I used to do high buns, but they don't work for me as well anymore.

I use a satin pillow, and I tie my hair with elastics, but try not to do it too tightly. :o I really need to invest in a scrunchie or two!

ETA: I, also, thought this was about sleep-clothes, to which my answer is X-large t-shirt :)

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I wear a Stay-On Satin bonnet. They are dirt cheap at Walmart and work very well. My hair isn't long enough to stay in a braid very well (OK, I'm bad at braiding), and if I leave it loose it's a horrible, snarled mess. With a sleep bonnet, I can get up and finger comb my hair--no tangles at all.

It seems like several members wear something covering their head. My only concern would be the heat retention. Do these breathe well? I worry my head will get hot and end up soaked with sweat by the morning.

jane53
June 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM
It seems like several members wear something covering their head. My only concern would be the heat retention. Do these breathe well? I worry my head will get hot and end up soaked with sweat by the morning.

I know myself: I couldn't SLEEP with something (besides my hair) on my head.

Kaijah
June 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I usually braid and secure it with a big soft scrunchie or one of those black Goody Ouchless Elastics (metal/glue free!). If I'm REALLY lazy before going to bed, I'll just ponytail it and then use multiple scrunchies down the length to keep everything together.

ETA: I did try one of those silk cap-scarf things once, but I flail around too much to keep it on. XD Plus, I didn't particularly like the feel of the band around my head. I'm not too worried about it... I can't see high quality sheets causing excessive damage that would be thwarted by a slightly softer fabric or different weave.

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I know myself: I couldn't SLEEP with something (besides my hair) on my head.

<Grin> That's what I'm afraid of too, jane53, that it would feel like sleeping with a shower cap on. If I can't take silk pillows I sure as heck can't take a big plastic bag over my ears.

Also, there's the dork factor -- mine is so strong intrinsically, I worry that the plastic baggie on my head might be the final straw to send DBF running for the hills. :run:

Aurantia
June 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Kaijah. I would probably feel exactly the same way; I'm a flailer too! :) If the plastic bands are noticeable, probably not a viable option.

FrannyG
June 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I would never make it through the night with a cap on my head. That much I know for sure.

I make a very simple bun on the top of my head and secure it with a silk scrunchie. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I can tell you that it's made a world of difference doing both.

StarryNight
June 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I have a satin sleep cap from walmart. I usually braid or nape bun without securing and put the cap on to sleep. I am actually pretty happy with my little cheapie cap. I toss and turn quite a bit and I have not had a problem with it coming off. Nor have I had a problem with it being too hot. It is very hot here right now, and my head does not sweat at all and I don't have any discomfort. Hope that helps. :)

violeteyes
June 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
If I wear braids to bed (which is rare!) I use hair scrunchies that I've had since I was little in the nineties :) Out of style? Yes. But more comfortable and hair safe than regular elastics? Definitely!

LoversLullaby
June 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I put my hair in a tight cinnamon bun secured with a scrunchie, and cover that up with a satin cap. When my hair is heavily oiled I usually braid it into two English braids secured with two small scrunchies.

jeanniet
June 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
They can get a bit warm. Where I live, this isn't usually a big problem because we sleep with the windows open in the summer and our night temperatures are very cool (40s/50s). If yours are warmer, it might not be such a good option for you.

jeanniet
June 5th, 2010, 04:20 PM
<Grin> That's what I'm afraid of too, jane53, that it would feel like sleeping with a shower cap on. If I can't take silk pillows I sure as heck can't take a big plastic bag over my ears.

Also, there's the dork factor -- mine is so strong intrinsically, I worry that the plastic baggie on my head might be the final straw to send DBF running for the hills. :run:
Too true; there is definitely a dork factor. DH has laughed at me more than once, but we've been married almost 30 years and I'm pretty good at ignoring him.:D

PiroskaCicu
June 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I put metal free elastics down the length of it or braid it to the side. :)

JenniferNoel
June 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Side braid secured with a scrunchie under a silk headscarf.
Comfortable and not to mention easy!

windinherhair
June 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I used to sleep with my hair down. Now I always secure it, not so much because of tangles but I also dont trust my cats. ;) I really caught one of my cats nibbling at my hair one time. I rotate my sleep styles. Sometimes I braid my hair and secure with an elastic without metal. Or I make a bun on the top of my head and secure with a plastic claw clip.