PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated at slowly growing hair :( less than half an inch each month :(

Xandrra
June 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM
My hair is really starting to annoy me, I've started taking biotin + a B group supplement, MSN and calcium about 3 months ago. It certainly does feel a bit thicker, and thanks to the knowledge from LHC I've barely seen any split ends for 4 months (which is nothing short of a miracle considering how fragile my hair used to be, and that I used to straighten it EVERY DAY just 4 months ago), but its just not growing any faster! I wish there was something else I could do to speed it up, its just so slow and frustrating! :( I really wanted to vent that out, conidering I had such high hoped for the biotin and MSM.

The biotin is certainly working on my nails, they're longer than I've ever seen them (ie when I look at the back of my hand, I can see the nails behind it, they never grew this long before) so maybe it'll take a while to kick in for the hair? How long did it take for you to notice any difference in the speed of hair growth after starting to take supplements? (if you did at all)

lesbia
June 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have no suggestion for your problem, but I understand. Also my hair grow sooo slowly :( I have 1 cm of grow in 2 mounths in this period...I wish in the summer, in hot mounths my hair grow faster. You're not alone :)

beachlover
June 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, my hair grows slowly too, so I can relate to how frustrating it can be! I started taking hair, skin and nail vitamins that have the msm and biotin in them. So far all I can tell is my nails are growing super fast, had to trim and file them down twice in 2 weeks, my hair is still the same though!!!

dropinthebucket
June 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM
My hair usually grows really slowly, too. It may be you need to give it a good 6 months before the supplements really show up for hair growth - I started taking MSM a couple of months ago, and the nails really show it, but not the hair yet. Everyone's been saying it can take a lot longer for the hair to respond than the nails. Also, my hair growth went from less than half inch per month to about a half inch when I upped my daily protein intake - I don't think I was getting enough protein! :)

chrissy-b
June 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Sometimes supplements don't work for people and sometimes it takes longer to notice a difference. I'd hold out for at least six months to see if you notice a change.

Have you tried scalp massages? My hair was growing really slowly for about four months and I started doing scalp massages again last month and I'm back up to my normal growth rate (and a little extra). I also started taking MSM and biotin but only a month ago and don't think it's due to that since I haven't been taking it long enough.

Speckla
June 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
How often are you measuring? Maybe you should measure and than wear your hair up for a while and measure again. You'll be surprised at how much growth you're actually getting. The length isn't obvious in short time periods but will be obvious over more time.

UltraBella
June 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I do a daily scalp massage and I have an average of 1 inch growth every three weeks. Doesn't hurt to try it :)

Xandrra
June 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Lesbia - I'm hoping the summer would give me a little boost aswell, however its still so very cold in Ireland that I doubt it :( I do hope you're warmer wherever you're at!

Beachlover - I *think* my nails are starting to grow faster, I can definitely see a little bump on all of them where they're getting thicker from the supplements. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't improve because I'm afraid of the amount of money I'll spend on nailpolish :D I don't think I'll be able to resist if they get nice and long lol

Dropinthebucket - considering how my hair absolutely loves protein treatments I probably should look into takign some internally, coincidentally my mother just bought me some wheat germ, so I can start today :cheese:

Chrissy-b - oh wow, I never knew it could take as long as 6 months :eek: and the thing with scalp massages is that they tend to make my hair greasy, but I still try to do them at least once every two days. How long do you massage your hair for on average?

Speckla - I don't really measure the conventional method, I get highlights in my hair so knowing the date of when I got the highlights makes it easy to see how much it grew in a certain time span.

UltraBella - your hair is so beautiful! I've been meaning to say that since I saw your sig today :) are they your natural curls? I'd love to be able to get my hair like that. And like I said to Chrissy-b scalp massages my my hair very oily, but I still try to do them every second day. How long would you recommend to massage the scalp?

bugeyedmonster2
June 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Subscribing to this thread because I also have slow growing hair. (My hair must think it's a tortoise!)

jera
June 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
My hair is really starting to annoy me, I've started taking biotin + a B group supplement, MSN and calcium about 3 months ago. It certainly does feel a bit thicker, and thanks to the knowledge from LHC I've barely seen any split ends for 4 months (which is nothing short of a miracle considering how fragile my hair used to be, and that I used to straighten it EVERY DAY just 4 months ago), but its just not growing any faster! I wish there was something else I could do to speed it up, its just so slow and frustrating! :( I really wanted to vent that out, conidering I had such high hoped for the biotin and MSM.

The biotin is certainly working on my nails, they're longer than I've ever seen them (ie when I look at the back of my hand, I can see the nails behind it, they never grew this long before) so maybe it'll take a while to kick in for the hair? How long did it take for you to notice any difference in the speed of hair growth after starting to take supplements? (if you did at all)

Patience sweetie. :) It often takes longer than three months on supplements before you see results, especially if you're a slow grower to begin with. It took me about five months to see results in my hair growth from supplements although my nails grew like mad pretty quickly. Hair takes longer than nails. IMO. :p

Jules diamond
June 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I understand your frustration. My hair grows 1/8 of an inch each month. Try to keep your mind off it meanwhile. We'll get there eventually.

KahlanAmnell
June 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I can understand how frustrating it can be to feel like you are waiting too long for it to grow. Something that's helped me is to experiment with different ways to wear your hair. I've been looking at a lot of the updos and trying to take better care of my hair while I wait.

Xandrra
June 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM
bugeyedmonster2 & Jules diamond - hopefully we'll find something that works for us :)

jera - thanks for the encouragement :) I suppose I was nearly expecting instant results, with all the praise MSM and biotin get, I'll be more patient :)

KahlanAmnell - this is actually what I should do too, I only know about 4 ways to wear my hair, one of them I completely despise and only one of the remaining 3 can be called an up do. I'm so bad at anything hair related :S need to better myself :)

spidermom
June 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I think the best remedy for this is to get your mind out of your hair and let it do its thing while you're busy doing other things.

I used to think that my hair grew slowly, but it was just that it didn't grow as fast as I wanted it to grow. I actually average a little more than half an inch per month.

I advise: Don't measure. Take a hair length picture about once every 3 months; then you will see progress.

christine1989
June 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Biotin did nothing for my growth rate either but i take it purely because it reduces shedding. If you haven't already you could give horsetail a try. I started taking it and it increased my growth rate from .5 inch to 1 inch per month and thickened up my hair too.

Desideira
June 7th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I know how you proadly feel. I was facing extremly slow growt of haitr for almost a year.:( I was tkaing some suplements ment for hair but It didnt do much for me. :(

But 4 months ago i ad meeting with Lady that was knolegeble abour natural medicine and she siad to em that pobadly I had to much acidic foods ( white bread, cola, sweets, fried fods, pork, chiken) and should start to eat more alkaline( pountry, green vegetables, fish) to clear blood and kidneys. She gave me some sort of naturla herbs after two monts my hair stated to grow form 0,3 cm to 1,7 cm a monts and it stayt this way. My hair, nails and overall health is also better.:cheese:

ps. sorry form my english mistakes , its not my native language and I havent used it in many months.

IcarusBride
June 7th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I also take Biotin, 2mg/day for 3 months now, and I also have seen improvement in my nails but not really and reduction in shedding like I was hoping for. I also take Silica and a mulit-vitamin, and I get 1 inch of growth per month, but I'm not sure if this is increased due to taking supplements because I started taking when I joined LHC and I never measured how fast my hair grew before that.