PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Glucoside

akevita2002
June 5th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I was looking over one of the very few romanian websites which sell organic/natural products for hair & skin and saw something called "Coconut Glucoside" as a base ingredient for shampoo or shower gel. It sais there that it's natural :confused: and it makes me wonder because the name sounds like a chemical compound or something.

Anyone heard of/tried something like this?

jane53
June 5th, 2010, 07:57 AM
what I learned yesterday after my failed shopping trip to get coconut oil is that you shouldn't be looking at hair care oil. You should look for the food quality oil. It has fewer chemical additives.

Heavenly Locks
June 5th, 2010, 08:08 AM
From this site - http://www.naturaleurope.com/ne/scan/fi=glossary/sp=glossaryFloat/sf=word/se=Coco%20Glucoside/os=yes/su=yes.html

Coco Glucoside

Anionic surfactant, very mild and skin-friendly, derived from coconut oil and fruit sugar. In hair care products it smooths hair structure to improve manageability.

Bast
June 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Scientists love to put fancy names on everything. :p

Capybara
June 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Glucoside sounds like an enzyme, and therefore should be okay for your hair.

Some of the names of common things sound bad:
Sodium bicarbonate - baking soda
Acetic acid - vinegar
Sodium chloride - table salt
Sucrose, glucose, lactose, fructose - sugars

In reality, everything is a chemical. I wouldn't worry too much if most of the compounds are organic.

akevita2002
June 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Glucoside sounds like an enzyme, and therefore should be okay for your hair.

Some of the names of common things sound bad:
Sodium bicarbonate - baking soda
Acetic acid - vinegar
Sodium chloride - table salt
Sucrose, glucose, lactose, fructose - sugars

In reality, everything is a chemical. I wouldn't worry too much if most of the compounds are organic.

Hmm, yes I know, but I meant chemical as something synthetic :) Was wondering how come something extracted out of coconut could have foaming properties.

Thank you all for responses! :)