PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B12

jera
June 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Does anyone here take vitamin B 12? Have you had good results with it? ( You just know I'm going to add yet another vitamin supplement to my vitamin regime, now dontcha ? ) :D I'll let you all know if and when I see any results from this.

error
June 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM
i used to take a multi vitamin daily for womans health and b - 12 was in it ..that made me super stoked about taking it! but one day i took it and it was in the morning before work .. i guess i had somewhat of an empty stomach and oh boy did it make me violently ill ... and then i never took my vitamins again .... i should get Flinstones vitamins or something LOL

Quahatundightu
June 5th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I take vit B12 (since I'm a vegan) and I've been taking it more regularly this year than I was before.. my hair has seen an improvement in growth, but it might just be coincidental! Will be interested in your results :)

pelicano
June 5th, 2010, 05:33 AM
You need to take sublingual B12, not in a tablet, for proper absorption. Jarrow do a good one. :)

EdG
June 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Being a vegan, I take B12 tablets. I haven't noticed any difference. The body stores several year's supply of B12, so there shouldn't be any sudden effects.
Ed

Anje
June 5th, 2010, 07:45 AM
i used to take a multi vitamin daily for womans health and b - 12 was in it ..that made me super stoked about taking it! but one day i took it and it was in the morning before work .. i guess i had somewhat of an empty stomach and oh boy did it make me violently ill ... and then i never took my vitamins again .... i should get Flinstones vitamins or something LOL
Definitely take vitamins (especially multivitamins) with food! I don't know what the specific ingredient is that does this, but I've had them upset my stomach a few times, and I've heard plenty of other stories about people puking up their multi.

MsBubbles
June 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
This and iron are about the only things I have taken religiously for a few years now. I honestly never noticed anything better about the sublingual kind and it tasted horrible so I went back to pill form. I never noticed a sudden kick in my mood with the sublingual (like a friend of mine said she did).

I don't know if it helps my hair because I started taking it years before I found LHC.

pelicano
June 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Definitely take vitamins (especially multivitamins) with food! I don't know what the specific ingredient is that does this, but I've had them upset my stomach a few times, and I've heard plenty of other stories about people puking up their multi.

Zinc and iron can definitely do this.

loralie
June 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I take a B50 Complex. I try to eat healthy but it doesn't always happen. I've been super run down for the last few months, and I do feel like it's improved my energy!

It has:
0.1mg Folic Acid
50mg Vitamin B1
50mg Vitamin B2
50mg Niacinamide
50mg Vitamin B6
50mcg Vitamin B12
50mg Pantothenic Acid
50mg Choline Bitartrate
50mg Inositol

Celtic_Willow
June 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I'm also a vegan, and instead of taking B12 in supplement form I buy Nutritional Yeast flakes in the Vegetarian Support Formula, it's made by Red Star. You can usually find it in health shops or Wegmans (if you have them by you). It has a rich cheese flavor which is great on everything, especially popcorn. In 2 tablespoons you get 130% daily value of B12, 480% d.v B6, 590% d.v Riboflavin, 670% dv. Thiamin, 290% d.v Niacin, 250% d.v Folate, and smaller amounts of Iron and Zinc. Overall I've found incorporating this into meals much easier than remembering to take a supplement everyday, so if you're anything like I am maybe this would work for you! Hth!

ravenreed
June 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have to get B-12 shots from time to time. I can't seem to absorb it properly. I might try some sublingually. I get Tension Tamer tea and that has B-12 in it.

jera
June 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
You need to take sublingual B12, not in a tablet, for proper absorption. Jarrow do a good one. :)

Thanks pelicano. :)

I have to get B-12 shots from time to time. I can't seem to absorb it properly. I might try some sublingually. I get Tension Tamer tea and that has B-12 in it.

Thanks ravenreed. Do you suffer from pernicious anemia that requires treatment by injection? Also where do you purchase tension tamer tea ? I'm not a vegan, just did some googling about vites as always and got interested in an article on B12. Lack of it can cause hair loss in women. So I'd rather be safe than sorry. :wigtongue

*Aoife*
June 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
If you're not a vegan and you don't have an major health problems that stop you absorbing it, you're getting more than enough.

I take (well, I used to but I ran out) a B12 and vitamin D supplement. I didn't notice any difference in hair groth/loss when taking it. You have a large amount stored in the body anyway, so taking a supplement wouldn't have a noticable effect.