PDA

View Full Version : Feye's Self-Trim Method on past-fingertip length?

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone at fingertip length and beyond have had success continuing to use Feye's self-trim method? I have had some trouble the past few times I have tried it, due to the ends being beyond my arm's reach.

I have used the method of sliding the scrunchie down my ponytail until I'm where I want to cut, then snipping off everything below the scrunchie. Lately that is becoming more difficult, as I'm afraid that by pulling it to the side to be able to trim it (I am trying to secure the top portion tightly under my arm when I pull the ends around) I am making it uneven.

And of course, if it is uneven then I will have to trim off more than I'd like.

Any suggestions? Or is it just time to try trusting someone else with the scissors? :tmi:

jane53
June 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Personally, I do NOT trim my hair myself. I ALWAYS trim my bangs myself, but I want that even U shaped hem that a good hair trimming professional can give me.

You're braver than I am.

Capybara
June 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I have absolutely no experience with past-fingertip hair, but, maybe you could get someone else to slide the hair elastic down your ponytail until it's at the length you want, and then you trim it off? I find that it's helpful for me to have someone else slide it down, and I'm nowhere near your length. You don't necessarily have to trust them with the scissors, yet though;) :D Just a thought :blossom:

jasper
June 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I was also going to say you don't have to trust anyone with the scissors if you can just trust them with sliding the pony tail holder for you.

jane53
June 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
? Or is it just time to try trusting someone else with the scissors? :tmi:

I wish I could bottle my hairstylist and give her to my LHC friends!

Her hair is between hip and tailbone length.

She never cuts too much.

She never seems to want to shorten and style my hair.

She does an excellent job.

I feel lucky!

But I'm sure there are others like her out there.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM
This method does give me a nice gentle U, and I've used it since about July of last year with great results (in my opinion lol). I don't know why I didn't think of that, maybe I can get my DH to slide it for me. Thanks. :flower: :D

spidermom
June 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Or you could squat down and pull the ends up between your legs. I remember someone here with extra-long hair using that method.

EdG
June 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Ah yes, the old hair-longer-than-arm-span problem... Congratulations on the milestone! :cheese:

Any suggestions? Or is it just time to try trusting someone else with the scissors? :tmi:Scissors can never be trusted. :nono:

Seriously, I have no idea how to trim longer-than-fingertip-length hair. I did figure out how to untangle at that length using both arms and a little geometry. :)
Ed

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I may just have to quit trimming altogether and go ahead and grow to my terminal length... Hehehehe... ;)

Heavenly Locks
June 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
--Original post deleted because I felt like it could be taken the wrong way. I don't want the OP to assume that I posted a picture of enormous scissors to imply that I think she should cut her hair drastically. I hope the mods understand that I worry about it being in bad taste and that it's ok I take the picture off.

:o

Loreley
June 5th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I use JJJ's self hair trim method. :)
http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

JamieLeigh
June 5th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I use JJJ's self hair trim method. :)
http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

Awesome!!! Thank you!!! :D :D :D

Polyhex
June 5th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I trim first with Feye's to take off the bulk of the length, and then dust and even repeatedly via the method JJJ is using.

lapushka
June 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone at fingertip length and beyond have had success continuing to use Feye's self-trim method? I have had some trouble the past few times I have tried it, due to the ends being beyond my arm's reach.

This is a vid of Fey's method in use with a tip for very long hair; might help:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch#p/search/4/hWRJ57j1AyI

JamieLeigh
June 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks all for the replies! I used JJJ's method last night, and took off about half an inch. I'm at 49" now, and it looks pretty good! Looks like I've found a winner!