PDA

View Full Version : Lush Henna + Blonde streaks = happy?

tcheney91
June 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I would love to henna my hair with Lush Caca Brun, but I have an issue. I bleached a few streaks in my hair last fall (before I found LHC, haha), and I would like to keep them! You can see them well here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=73551) and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=71357). Would it be possible to leave those sections out and dye the rest? Would the henna bleed onto those sections? I would just dye them too, but apparently indigo and bleach don't play nicely. Any advice?

Kaileida
June 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Wrap them in something, like saran wrap or tinfoil? Just to separate them out.

tcheney91
June 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Oh, wow. I didn't even think of that! That would work. When I'm washing the henna out, would I keep that in, or take them out? I don't know if it would bleed while washing it out...

-simply Venus-
June 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
If its been a few months, henna will be fine on bleached hair. =] It's only if it was freshly bleached the chemicals left on your hair might mess up the dye. Even though when I hennaed my hair, I bleached it and hennaed it in the same day and it was fine. >.<

But if you really want to keep them, you could wrap the highlights in tin foil so there is no chance of it touching the henna.

tcheney91
June 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I've heard henna does just fine with bleach. It's the indigo I'm worried about. Supposedly it can turn funny green or blue colors.

little_cherry
June 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
If you can, do a strand test first...it may not turn out green. :)

tcheney91
June 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'll give it a try. Any idea how many blocks I'll need?

kwaniesiam
June 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Your hair is long and thick, you'll probably need two blocks. You can slather the streaks you want left out in conditioner or oil and wrap them in foil or plastic like was suggested to keep them separate.

VintageBrooklyn
June 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone, I am just here to let you all know that this week, I got sick of my pitch black hair (indigo!) and bleached a few streaks to cover with Yemin henna, so I could get a deep red streak in my dark hair, some life and interest! But... A couple of the streaks went green, like a yuck khaki colour! I know this is different to what you want to do, but if you bleach over indigo it can go greenish, just to let you know what my experience was this week.

But I did put that lovely yemini henna over the top of them and now I have nice deep reddish brown streaks and the henna fixed any damage the bleach caused, which is amazing, geez I love that stuff... My hair is so soft and pretty whe after the bleach it was stiff like straw! Henna is amazing isn't it!

amaiaisabella
June 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM
tcheney91, I would use more than 2 blocks, personally. I used to use that much on my APL fine hair, but YMMV. You can always mix more and freeze the leftovers! :)

tcheney91
June 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Wow, three for my hair? That's true, I can save the left overs, though. Use them for roots, I guess?

Unofficial_Rose
June 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Just wanted to say, please don't use anything with indigo in if you plan to highlight again (like, ever, unless you grow out non-indigo-ed hair and cut off all the indigo-ed stuff). That includes Caca Brun.

Even if you think all the indigo is gone, i.e. you can't even see it on light brown hair, you'll get a teal/khaki colour. (This is why my hair's so short! :) but I went back to henna + indigo eventually anyway because I got sick of the damage). Bleach + indigo = green!

If you're never going to highlight again, go for it, of course. :D Your hair is beautiful, btw.

tcheney91
June 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Aww, thanks! I guess my question was more will the indigo react with previously bleached hair? I don't plan on ever bleaching my hair again. I literally never got split ends before I bleached those sections. Now I find a few every once in a while. Uhg.

Unofficial_Rose
June 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Aww, thanks! I guess my question was more will the indigo react with previously bleached hair? I don't plan on ever bleaching my hair again. I literally never got split ends before I bleached those sections. Now I find a few every once in a while. Uhg.

Oh, in that case you'll be fine! Henna + indigo cover bleached hair very well (although it tends to fade quicker on the bleached bits than the virgin hair). In fact, in my albums you can see I started off bleached blonde (meant to just be highlights) and went from blonde to dark brown via red.

I may switch to Caca Brun as I like a brown that is more medium than dark these days, and it's easy to overdo the colour with pure henna and indigo. Plus the Lush conditioning is amazing. :)

Happy henndigoing!

tcheney91
June 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much! I'm excited to do this, but I have to get my job back before that happens... stupid nurses strike.

jaine
June 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I agree with Rose, the issue is if you try to bleach over indigo .... that wouldn't be good ... but indigo + henna over bleached hair should be fine.

I used henna and indigo over my bleached highlights and it worked great. I also used a henna gloss to make it less green after the first attempt ... eventually I got a nice dark reddish brown which was what I wanted.

tcheney91
June 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Sounds like I should be good to go... I can't wait to start!