PDA

View Full Version : Trend alteration?!

Gothic Lolita
May 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I've been wondering for a few weeks now if there could truly be a slow change to more long hairs again. Everywhere I look more girls have longer hair than usual (a least shoulder length). At my school a couple of small girls have beautifal almost-classic hair and all my friends starts growing their hair out.

Could there be a trend change? Will long hair be common again?

florenonite
May 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
It's possible, although often when people who follow trends have long hair, it's not real, as the amount of time required to grow hair from a bob to waist length, for the average person, is a couple of years, by which point in time short hair would be popular again, no doubt.

ItalianFlower
May 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Oh definately it's coming back into style. So many girls are getting extensions and all that to catch up with the girls who have natural long hair (like us! ^_^) A lot of celebrities are doing it, which means OF COURSE everyone will follow. So, yeah, it'll gain popularity but the problem with long hair is the girls aren't going to know how to care for it, it'll get damaged, and they'll want nice, "cute", short hair again. Hence the cycle: most women want the beauty of long hair, but since they can't manage it short hair comes back. :)

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I think it is definitely coming back into style, or else you wouldn't see so many people with long hair extensions in their hair. :D

DaveDecker
May 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
... the problem with long hair is the girls aren't going to know how to care for it, it'll get damaged, and they'll want nice, "cute", short hair again. Hence the cycle: most women want the beauty of long hair, but since they can't manage it short hair comes back. :)

Presuming that they know how to take care of their hair so it stays in good condition. And to whom will they turn to get this sort of advice? Why, their professional, licensed hairstylist, of course, who received no formal education about the care and nurturing of long hair. For their sake, one can only hope that those growing expand their search for information on the topic. (Well, I might guess that some do, and some may well be members here).

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Fashion comes full circle every so many years. A lot of the trends in the 70's and 80's have come back with a vengeance (some better than others :rolleyes: )

*crosses fingers and prays for full out Victorian gowns to come back in style* :silly:

blue_nant
May 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Presuming that they know how to take care of their hair so it stays in good condition. And to whom will they turn to get this sort of advice? Why, their professional, licensed hairstylist, of course, who received no formal education about the care and nurturing of long hair. For their sake, one can only hope that those growing expand their search for information on the topic. (Well, I might guess that some do, and some may well be members here).

At least some folks will think to google long hair, eh? and we are the fifth link on the google search! woot!

If people were not so crazed about fad and fashion, it would help, as it did me. Benign neglect got me a long ways before I found my first long hair forum, and eventually, you folks!

icydove
May 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Actually, I thought long hair had been "in" for the last couple of seasons or so. I would expect it to go back to short hair, especially for the warmer weather.

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I sure hope it doesn't go back to short hair for warmer weather, my hair is too hot even now not being able to get it up off my neck, and I'm an i with fine hair! I can't imagine having thick, coarse hair down on your neck all summer :bigeyes:

Elfling
May 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
My favorite quote on long hair and fashion is Janis Cortese:

".....you have to not care about fashion for the next ten years." Long hair, especially ultra long, will probably never be *fashionable*. That doesn't mean it isn't beautiful, nor does it preclude style. Fashion just doesn't enter into the equation.

Rapunzelwannabe
May 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I've always noticed that long hair comes into style in late winter and going into spring, but once the weather heats up again short cuts are all the rage again, at the same time I notice that a lot of girls are dyeing their hair darker in the fall and lighten it in the spring. So I think that although most girls like their hair long, that kind of idea to 'lighten the load' of hair on your neck is pretty pervading and long hair's just part of the cutting and growing out cycle

spidermom
May 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Long hair went out of style? (just joking, but I really pay no attention to "in style/out of style" stuff)

thankyousir74
May 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
oh wow i guess it is coming back into style. the past summer i cut my hair extremely short, like an inch or so from my scalp (it was about bra strap length). why i did it, i guess it was a new start kinda thing, maybe a self perception thing, plus most of it was dead anyways, i didn't take care of it plus i was a swimmer so the chlorine sapped any life it had, it was very unhealthy. Point is, now i oggle long hair and i wonder how it is that celebrities all seem to have long hair now, when i never saw it at shoulder length and ha, silly me i forget about hair extensions. now i don't feel so bad :D
plus i'm gonna get to go on an epic hair journey and watch my hair grow from one inch long to terminal length :)
it is indeed a patience thing. i'm struggling with whether to henna or not to henna

Saoirse
May 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'm going to shamelessly link to an older thread about spring runway hairstyles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=911&highlight=runway), to prove that long hair and styles using long hair are pretty consistently common in the fashion industry.

florenonite
May 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm going to shamelessly link to an older thread about spring runway hairstyles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=911&highlight=runway), to prove that long hair and styles using long hair are pretty consistently common in the fashion industry.

I remember this thread!

mommy101405
May 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have noticed long hair coming back in. Esp long hair with thick bangs.