PDA

View Full Version : My limp hair is driving me absolutely crazy :/

Pandora.
June 4th, 2010, 11:20 AM
This happens each summer (seems as it's June), where my hair is limper and oilier than normal.

I do my hair nice before I go out, and then before I know it my hair seems plastered to my head and thinner than it did before I left the house. I can't describe it without it sounding really silly.

How can I get instant volume? What products, methods of washing, sleeping in certain hairstyles or some other random tips could you recommend me?

My limp and flat locks are driving me crazy. I want some body! :p

*Aoife*
June 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Do you always straighten your hair? Just because your profile pic is straightened (I presume) I think that when I straighten/blow dry my hair is always looks plastered to my scalp. But when it's in an updo it looks a little bit more lifted.

YesitsReal
June 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars have helped me. I use the Chamomile and Citrus, and it puts some volume at my roots, even when I air dry.

Pandora.
June 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I do straighten my hair, but not as frequently as I used to. I am slowly getting there lol.
I also air dry, and I very rarely blow dry my hair.

I will do some research on that shampoo, since these days I never purchase anything without looking at loads of reviews. Each review website tells a different story I find. :p

Further advice would be appreciated. :)

error
June 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
hey !!! i read on here that cornstarch soaks up the oils ... i would suppose you take a fluffy foundation brush and sweep it onto your roots ... i have really oily hair also so i am going to try it out ... ummm i have pin straight hair so its really annoying ...and it is tail bone length so all the weight pulling it down .... i notice when i wear my hair in a high bun over night i get a lot of volume ... so i guess ..shower in the night time before bed ... let your hair air dry then place it in a high bun and see what happens it should give your hair a cool beachy wave for the summer too!

countryhopper
June 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I used to have this problem when i used shampoo daily.

I now wash twice a week using 1 tablespoon of baking soda dilluted in one cup of water, massage into scalp, and rinse. Then I follow up with a tea rinse.

My hair has much more volume now than when I washed daily with shampoo. I'm not sure if it was the cones or what, but I'm happy with my new wash method, although it doesn't work for everyone (some people have problems with the baking soda causing their hair to dry out too much).

I also wear my hair up everyday. I can't stand to be sweating and have my hair sticking to the back of my neck! My updos seem to hold fine in the heat and humidity.

dropinthebucket
June 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Some bad advice in this article, but, they say it's all "at the roots" - i've actually wondered if i have weak roots/follicles that are partly causing limp, flat hair, because the slightest tug and my hair comes out, too. More protein and nutritional supplements have made my hair a bit less flat, i'm kinda surprised about that.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip000770.htm

x0h_bother
June 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Are there cones in your shampoo? I am finding with my new shampoo that has amodimethicone that my hair is limp at the roots. And I have never had a volume problem.

Pandora.
June 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm using Tresemme Moisture Rich Vitamin E (for dry/damaged hair) right now, and I'm not too sure if there's any cones in that. I'll check later.

Even when I had really thick hair, it was always super flat and lacked volume/body tremendously.

x0h_bother
June 14th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Your shampoo doesn't have cones but it does contain a lot of polyquats http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/curlchemist-polyquats-as-conditioning-agents Not saying that's the issue but something to consider if you just noticed your hair being limper from switching shampoos.

mellie89
June 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I used to like Tresemme, but it doesn't agree with my damaged hair. It builds up SO fast. Try clarifying by using a different shampoo, then try switching to a different conditioner for awhile. That might help a lot.

I get really nice waves when I put my hair in either a bun or two pigtail braids when it's wet. Takes forever to dry, but it's so worth it!

Fethenwen
June 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
This might not be the answer you want to hear but, I rarely have limp or oily hair issues anymore because I don't shampoo as often as I used too. Actually the less I shampoo the less limp it gets, it's like it's getting thicker still.
I remember a few years back when I had the exact same issues as you have, I also used straighteners at the roots to give it volume and washed it often. Very temporary solutions that.

One thing that you might want to try if you don't want to wash your hair less often is to tie your hair in a top knot for sleeping. That way it lifts the roots, every night. Also you might want to try out corn starch or some dry shampoo to make hair less oily and give it volume. Maybe you want to try and sport a beach look when going out? Try salt water spray and curls, that really makes hair quite thick and seems to keep the oiliness away.

Pandora.
June 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
This might not be the answer you want to hear but, I rarely have limp or oily hair issues anymore because I don't shampoo as often as I used too. Actually the less I shampoo the less limp it gets, it's like it's getting thicker still.
I remember a few years back when I had the exact same issues as you have, I also used straighteners at the roots to give it volume and washed it often. Very temporary solutions that.

One thing that you might want to try if you don't want to wash your hair less often is to tie your hair in a top knot for sleeping. That way it lifts the roots, every night. Also you might want to try out corn starch or some dry shampoo to make hair less oily and give it volume. Maybe you want to try and sport a beach look when going out? Try salt water spray and curls, that really makes hair quite thick and seems to keep the oiliness away.

Thanks for that! I'll definitely try all those.

Actually, I'm getting better at stretching my washes. I have no idea why, but my hair seems to be getting less oily from when I last posted this thread - I think my hair is getting used to being washed less. The weather hasn't changed much either. If this keeps up, I may go back to CO washing, because I noticed I was getting significantly softer, nicer and heavier curls.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
If you don't like your hair being limp, DON'T STRAIGHTEN IT!!!

Pandora.
June 14th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Just curious, isn't salt water spray supposed to be bad for your hair? Apparently it would dry it out.

If you don't like your hair being limp, DON'T STRAIGHTEN IT!!!

Easier said than done.

Lunami
June 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Have you tried rinsing your hair upside-down? It can bring some volume.

Fractalsofhair
June 14th, 2010, 04:21 PM
For getting rid of waves/curls, I'd suggest wrapping it around your head, or using big rollers(this would also give you great volume.).

Also, I personally do not believe backcombing to be as dangerous as things like flat irons to hair, so if you're very careful detangling, you could try that.

For more volume, use something like a teensy bit of shea butter or styling wax(I say shea butter since it's good for your hair.) and brush under and up at the roots. The wax holds my hair down when I brush it down, but it would work the same way to hold it up, I'd think.

Juneii
June 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I used to get that too, my hair would look fine after my shower and styling and a little while later it would get oily and lie flat on my head. I found that Suave Daily Clairfying shampoo and conditioner worked well for my hair. It may or may not be bad to use every day, I use it every other day just because my hair is oily no matter what I try to do and my hair still looks and feel healthy. Best to look around, the products you use in your hair might weigh down your hair after a while and make it seem flatter.