PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the least damaging type of chemical hair dye

shawneez
June 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I had corrective color recently that may need to be redone as time passes while I'm growing hair out. Just wondering if anyone here knows what kind of chemical hair dye is the least damaging to your hair.

LaurelSpring
June 4th, 2010, 09:08 AM
When I was coloring my hair I used Nutratint. It doesnt have ammonia and I felt that it was very gentle and gave me lots of shine. Now there are more ammonia free options on the market that werent available then, but I would go for something like that.

kristymarie87
June 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I think they are all pretty damaging.

Temp colours like MAnic Panic and SFX are not harmful to hair, but only come in crazy colours so this probably wouldnt be suitable.

Semi colours are less damaging than permenant colours. You have to be careful when buting semi colours. Most of them (such as Casting by Loreal) are actually demi colours. These sill have a lightening agent like peroxide, but less than a permenant thus still damaging to the hair. Saying this, i find they last longer than perm colours and look better anyway.

Perm colours are the most damaging other than bleach which is the worst!

I find if i dye my hair darker after i have highlights it feels and looks much healthier....i dont really know why.

I do think Semis are the ones to go for. They last a long time but gradually fade therefore you are not stuck with terrible roots!

kristymarie87
June 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Also try out health shops. The dyes are generally better for the hair as they are more herb based.

UltraBella
June 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Semi colors are so temporary there is really no point, especially for corrective color.
Demi colors are fantastic and they leave your hair healthy, shiny and gorgeous. I love the Matrix Colorsync line personally. No ammonia and no lift color, it's deposit only and your hair will thank you for not using a permanent color.

Cleopatra18
June 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
arent deposit only dyes permenant?

JenniferNoel
June 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I love the ammonia free semi-permanent Ion Color Brilliance. It's what I used for about six months before I want natural. No damage and tons of shine.

dropinthebucket
June 4th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Look into Elumen. The stylists on the BehindTheChair forum rave about it, and there is a long and detailed thread on it here on LHC (i would post the link but the search isn't working for me! :( ). It is revolutionary hair colour without ammonia, peroxide, or PPD, and it has been reported to give long-lasting, vibrant, non-damaging colour for most people (not all - it does not cover grey well, apparently). I'm waiting for mine to arrive, after doing lots of research on it, so i can't give you a personal endorsement yet, but hopefully soon! I have read extremely good things about it, and it is available online through BeautyEncounter.