PDA

View Full Version : Prefer Layers - Calling all!!

smilinjenn71
June 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hi Everybody!:waving:

The cruxes of this thread stems from some conversations on the "Any Super-Shorties Out There" thread. What I love about this community is the open mindedness and SO much helpful advice!! However, for those of us that love layering and styles that really aren't meant for buns and braids, there doesn't seem to be a "home" for us. PLEASE don't misunderstand....I think braids and buns are quite lovely on other people, it's just not meant for me.

So I'm asking.....are there others out there like me? I like to wear my hair down and I like it to be a bit sassy and perhaps a tad sexy, with messy layers, flippy ends and to be completely touchable! *hubba hubba* I use my blow dryer as necessary and even hot rollers or a curling iron. Having said that, I do air dry as often as possible.

I suppose my view is, if my goal isn't past BSL and I'm getting the ends trimmed regularly, why not have fun with my hair?? Even if that means some heat styling! Am I alone? I hope not!:crush:

Svenja
June 4th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I admit I do like my layers to a certain extend, but no I would not have them cut again. And no, heatstyling is not for me either. However I wanted to say the following on this matter: Although it is called LONG Hair community I have experienced a pleasant openmindedness around here towards people who use cones, heat, dye with chemicals or even have dreads. So why apologize for layers and heat? Yes it is a LONG hair community, but I think I can speak in everybody's name here when I say our goal is happiness and beautiful hair. If you're happy with layers, roller, heat styling, then go for it! Your hair is defo beautiful.

My two pence.

Sammich
June 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I'm just like you, I prefer layers and lookin' sassy/messy with my hair down rather than classy buns and braids. (only cuz I can't do them properly YET! LOL!) :) I always wear my hair down and it's doing great, I'll be growing down to classic/tailbone with a few layers here and there. :D
If you're happy with heat and etc colouring, why not? The only reason I'm not dying anymore is because I want super soft hair (I'm obsessed with it) and I want to see my virgin hair colour; plus it's cheaper!
The only thing about layers I don't like is the super thin hemline, which is why I'm growing out alot of my layers, but keeping quite a bit.

:grouphug: You've got a ton of support here, no matter what in your views. ;)

smilinjenn71
June 4th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I admit I do like my layers to a certain extend, but no I would not have them cut again. And no, heatstyling is not for me either. However I wanted to say the following on this matter: Although it is called LONG Hair community I have experienced a pleasant openmindedness around here towards people who use cones, heat, dye with chemicals or even have dreads. So why apologize for layers and heat? Yes it is a LONG hair community, but I think I can speak in everybody's name here when I say our goal is happiness and beautiful hair. If you're happy with layers, roller, heat styling, then go for it! Your hair is defo beautiful.

My two pence.

Thank you for your input Svenja! I totally agree and I wasn't really apologizing for heat styling but more of making a point that it is OK if the goal isn't past BSL. I think most would agree that if you want to grow longer than BSL you really have to baby your hair from the beginning and pretty much stay away from heat, at all costs!

It just seems we don't have a place to talk about those that *do* heat style on a regular basis and have no intentions of growing past BSL. For some, long is to the floor and others it's to the shoulder. Obviously the decision and view point is of the beholder.;) I'd just like to know who my layer-loving and heat-styling-partners-in-crime would be.....hehe.

Thank you very much for the compliment.:flower:

Cleopatra18
June 4th, 2010, 06:19 AM
lol i totaly love your style,but im trying to get past waist and there is no way on earth i could do that while heat styling my hair so often or anything else.I do believe you should totaly have fun with your hair! your siggy pic looks so gorgeous <3

Tabitha
June 4th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Me too! I love my layers.

I have a fringe (bangs for your Americans :p) and long layers. I can still put my hair into a casual bun if I really want to get it off my neck when the weather warms up, or out of the way of wind and rain (well this is England after all). A pencil bun looks prettier IMO than a cinnabun and I can still wear all my pretty hair things in it. BSL is my happy length where I'm comfortable wearing it down, the layers give it movement and I can blow dry from time to time if I want a sleeker look (my avatar pic is after a trim and salon blowdry - I can't get it quite that straight myself).

I don't feel guilty about having lowlights every few months because I'm not aiming for super lengths and have no need to do the whole "antique lace" business. My hair still looks shiny and healthy. I have it trimmed every couple of months to maintain the shape and the hairdresser never finds any split ends.

I did grow to past waist, but it wasn't for me; guess I'm "LHC Lite" :lol:

IndigoAsh
June 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I actually heat styled almost everyday since 2005 to January this year(2010). My hair made it to just above hip from an a-line bob before I found this place and opted to toss my straightener. I had it trimmed once a year and didn't do anything special to it. I think it depends on the person.

Your hair is really gorgeous in that photo smilinJenn ^.^

Isadora Lewie
June 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I too, love layers and having loose hair. Am trying to grow it a *little* bit longer though, so am aiming for less layering and longer layers than i have at the moment.

its tricky with the curl pattern i have, as my hairdresser usually cuts very deep layers to give it some more curl, though I'm trying to think of a way of communicating the kind of layers I want next time I go in.

I'm thinking I need to grow my hair well past where I want it to be and THEN ask her to layer it. The weight of the hair and shape of my layers seems to change as my hair grows - so the layers I had cut in September 09 no longer work for the length of my hair and make it look thin and stringy.

i think someone should write an article on 'Layer-onomics'... :D

kristymarie87
June 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Im with you!!

Although i am growing mine longer, i couldnt be without them...

I love having my hair down, but since my layers are so choppy and cut thickly i cant get away with much!

I cant wait till its long enought to get the rollers in and i'd love to try some messy buns when its long enough for my workdays when i tie it up.

I dont like the thought of it being one length, i think it looks too one dimensional. Thats not to say i dont like it on other people! I love the long hair on the forum but layers just look better in my drab hair :D

I only want to get to BSL too as i think any longer wouldnt suit me! SL right now so a long way to go!

JenniferNoel
June 4th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Ha, I love long layers and face framing layers. They give my waves and spirals more "oomph" and bounce, and the whole shape is just better for me. I can't remember much of a time when I didn't have layers, like, not even childhood.
I love having multidimensional texture. :cool:

GlassEyes
June 4th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I enjoy layering on other people and such.

For my hair, it's a delicate balance. I'm sure I'll like longer layers, but my old layers...well, they did -not- grow out well. xD;

However, I still have layers in the front, and some small ones in the back, and I do braids and buns perfectly fine. :D I need pins for the front ones, or gel, but whatever.

UltraBella
June 4th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I am crazy about layers ! I think my hair would look bulky and weird all one length. My hair is so thick that I don't get the thin hemline that a lot of people complain about. My layers give my hair movement and life :) I have no desire to ever have my hair all one length.
I will say that I have not heat styled my hair in three weeks. My normal routine is to wear my hair down and curled when not at work, but I am experimenting. My hair is really healthy despite being bleached and colored but if I can find an alternative to the heat styling, great ;)

luluj
June 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I have been growing out a pixie for quite some time now, so I obviously have many layers throughout my hair. My waves disguise the layers for the most part, but they are there, and I love them and plan to keep them. I have no plans for a trim up in the near future. All this said, I still love to wear my hair up (love the flexi 8's) and do so quite often. I actually like the way my side layers fall from the updos, it creates a very feminine look. The severe updos are not flattering on me due to a very strong, square jawline, it needs to be softened. I'm happy to have the best of both worlds, long layers that I can still wear up! Great thread!!;)

luluj
June 4th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Speaking of long hair and layering......here is a photo of my "somewhat long layers" up in a banana clip.....they work the best for catching the majority of the layers, leaving the shorter, side, layers free to fall a bit for a softer looking jawline.;)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5611&pictureid=73623

luluj
June 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I am crazy about layers ! I think my hair would look bulky and weird all one length. My hair is so thick that I don't get the thin hemline that a lot of people complain about. My layers give my hair movement and life :) I have no desire to ever have my hair all one length.
I will say that I have not heat styled my hair in three weeks. My normal routine is to wear my hair down and curled when not at work, but I am experimenting. My hair is really healthy despite being bleached and colored but if I can find an alternative to the heat styling, great ;)

YOUR HAIR IS SO BEAUTIFUL..........SOME DAY, YES, SOME DAY, I HOPE TO BE THERE!!:p

lapushka
June 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
It just seems we don't have a place to talk about those that *do* heat style on a regular basis and have no intentions of growing past BSL. For some, long is to the floor and others it's to the shoulder. Obviously the decision and view point is of the beholder.;) I'd just like to know who my layer-loving and heat-styling-partners-in-crime would be.....hehe.

I know a few people who color, heat style *and* have hair beyond BSL, one person's hair is fine and thin, the other's is normal and very thick (they're sisters). I don't completely air dry either.

Heat styling, coloring AND growing past BSL don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Of course at LHC the best care is essential, but that doesn't mean you have to watch out for everything. Your hair won't automatically suffer or fall out. It's not a crime or a sin if you don't follow these rules.

BattahZ
June 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I love layers, too! I don't love the ones I have right now, because the layers around the crown are significantly shorter than my ends, but I think long layers are a necessity for me. When my hair is blunt cut, I'm a big ol' triangle-head, and that's really not a good look for me ;)

I think some people really need layers for their hair to look its best. It's all about the individual head of hair and what works best for it!

UltraBella
June 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM
YOUR HAIR IS SO BEAUTIFUL..........SOME DAY, YES, SOME DAY, I HOPE TO BE THERE!!:p

Thank you so much *blushes *

jaine
June 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I love my layers too :crush:
They make my hair oval-shaped instead of bottom-heavy and triangular.
I try to avoid heat styling but I do blow-dry on the warm setting regularly with the dryer held about a foot from my hair ... it's about the same temperature as air on a hot day, so I don't worry about damage from that.

MonikaHa
June 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Without some layers my hair just hangs down and looks bornig. A bit of layering, especially ones around the face, gives me a bit of volume and style, so YES, I like layers :)

Henrietta
June 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I had V shaped ends, but I want to make it U shaped, but layers will be there always! Probably my hair with blunt ends would look thick, but I don't care. I love the way it lays on my back with layers. Maybe I don't want them as long as they are now, but 2-3 inches layers will be always with me.

I am happy this thread exists. So far there was only "Growing out layers- a place to complain."

Sunny_side_up
June 4th, 2010, 09:19 AM
People enjoy their hair in many different ways, I must say soon after i had my hair all evened up i didn't feel that great about it(near APL) and thats why i had the last lot of layering done. Its now been4months no trimming and i am actually getting along with my layers now:) no regular cuts like before.
I've never had long layered hair, my one length BSL hair when i was 17 got to that length from ignoring it and being obsessed about body weight. we shall see, i don't wear my hair down much outside the house because of tangling or it hanging down when eating out.would be happier when my jaw length (shortest) get further down. A doubled up pony is my usual style or claw clip, until i gain more length and it thickens up i'll keep it in protective updos. :D

hairg33k
June 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I love my layers and I love the way it looks when I have my hair down too - but most of that is because of my hair type, when i scrunch it and its naturally curly with the layers it looks a lot thicker and fuller. So, I love my layers for making my pretty thin hair look thicker :). They do look great when heat styling too, which I admit I do probably once or twice a week, but it works for me. As long as I keep my hair healthy in other ways and do plenty of deep treatments and CO washes my hair doesn't freak out on me.

Aleria
June 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Although I don't heat style, because my hair is already wavy and flippy without it, I do rather like my layers. I'm not sure if I'll continue to get them cut in as I grow, though.

OperaTeacherMom
June 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I love layers! My thin, fine 3a curls look awful without layers, they straighten out and poof up. I love face framing layers especially. I never wear my hair up, so that's not a huge issue.

I don't heat style or use chemical colors though, I'm a henna head all the way :)

Jammy
June 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
As my hair grows longer I will definitely opt for layers. I want to stay away from the Renaissance fair look. I tried it long and all one length before because it looks so beautiful on some people but it's not for me.

Long, subtle layers is the name of the game for me. Long enough that buns and braids dont look like hedgehogs!

teela1978
June 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I think a lot of it is up to hair type... and the skill of your hairdresser. I've only had layers that I liked once. I think because my hair is on the fine, thin side of the spectrum, it tends to fall flat and do very odd things with layers unless they're done very lightly just to the ends. I love them on other people, but I think I've finally come to the realization that they're not really for my hair-type.

PrincessTieflin
June 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I really didnt like my layers till they were gone. I recently had them put back in. and altho it makes my buns braids and ect a little thinner IMO its worth it when I DO wear my hair down to have my curls 'bouncy'..

But my hair is so thin and fine that I can put come coconut oil in it and put it up wet and seems to work out well without my layers sticking out of my updos :)

smilinjenn71
June 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM
WOW - you all ROCK!!!:rockerdud(that smiley should be smiling though because I am!)

Thank you ALL so much for weighing in! I'm so enjoying your comments and it's nice to hear so many that have layers, do enjoy them, whether they heat style or not. Several valid points have been made and again....I just love the openness of this forum.:crush:

I can totally see where layers can be a nightmare if the hair dressers doesn't know what they are doing. I'm fortunate that I have a great stylist and I am so incredibly happy with my layers right now I just about can't stand myself...hehe.

Carry on fellow-growers-with-layered-hair!:cloud9:

Oskimosa
June 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
No matter what goal length you have, you've got to enjoy it! Remember, we're not here to decorate others' worlds! :D I love my layers too, and my goal is at least hip. Like you said, this community is all about learning to achieve your goals, whatever those might be. To shed conventional thinking about haircare. Don't feel bad if, unlike the majority, you aren't crazy about updos.

zenobia
June 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I like my layers, but I don't like how they behave when I try to do braids. :shrug:

rachelily
June 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Hi Everybody!:waving:

The cruxes of this thread stems from some conversations on the "Any Super-Shorties Out There" thread. What I love about this community is the open mindedness and SO much helpful advice!! However, for those of us that love layering and styles that really aren't meant for buns and braids, there doesn't seem to be a "home" for us. PLEASE don't misunderstand....I think braids and buns are quite lovely on other people, it's just not meant for me.

So I'm asking.....are there others out there like me? I like to wear my hair down and I like it to be a bit sassy and perhaps a tad sexy, with messy layers, flippy ends and to be completely touchable! *hubba hubba* I use my blow dryer as necessary and even hot rollers or a curling iron. Having said that, I do air dry as often as possible.

I suppose my view is, if my goal isn't past BSL and I'm getting the ends trimmed regularly, why not have fun with my hair?? Even if that means some heat styling! Am I alone? I hope not!:crush:

I am so with you on this! I love layers, I love to be able to tousel and play with my hair and wear it down every single day. And the layers help with my curl pattern - the longer layers keep it weighted for my length, and the slightly shorter layers help coax the top layer to curl nicely.

Btw, I love your hair. It is just so beautifully full and soft looking.

Beatrice
June 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Fellow layers fan here! Though I'm loving them slightly less this afternoon, after trying to do a French twist until my arms hurt. I finally opted for a peacock twist with LOTS of bobby pins. My hair is so short right now (shoulder) that the layers are very, very short. I can't even do a ponytail without four bobby pins.

Still, I love the look of layers when my hair is down, which is most of the time. And I'm confident I'll be able to do more when all of my hair is longer. I'm also aiming for BSL and (probably) no longer. And I also blow dry my bangs! Got to love that up-and-over swoop.

May
June 4th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I had waist length hair (in my profile) 2 years ago and I loved my layers. Properly blended layers give hair movement and shape for me. I would never have my hair all one length. I live in Canada so I NEED to blowdry during the winter or else my hair freezes and I'm pretty sure that's no good lol! Right now my hair goal is waist...but you never know what will happen after that :P

BTW your hair looks really great!

goodenough
June 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I try hard to find a balance. My hair is tough, but I have at times stepped over the smart limits as far as coloring, heat styling. I'm not going to suffer and be miserable with wet hair on a grumpy day, but on a confident day, it won't kill me to air dry. Maybe because I'm not good enough with the styling tools to do a good job anyway:) As far as updos, my hair does like them (healthwise), but I'm not going to leave the house feeling dumpy:) And my opinion of what's dumpy changes with the wind. I find half ups to be pretty awesome, and I love them.

As far as layers, I've tried everything, and I've come to the conclusion that they don't mess with buns and braids as much once the shortest layers go past the shoulders. I could do a decent bun once I was apl, and that's with straight hair that is poorly behaved. I like layers so I can feel like I have a style, not just lots of hair.

Having said that, I joined three years ago, and my tastes (and hair texture) have changed a lot in the last three years. Seeing my first greys and turning 35 have made me care less about things that used to bother me about my appearance. So I could see myself maybe not being as layered and wearing more updos in the future. It's not that I want to or don't mind looking "older," it's just that I'm seeing beauty in a different way. Because it's all about me--:)

ravenreed
June 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I love my layers! I don't heat style, but they still look good. I would rather have shorter hair with layers than longer hair without, because I think that layers make a down hairstyle much prettier, and I still wear my hair down. My hair is now long enough that my layers don't matter much in updos.

aksown
June 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I love when straight hair has one long layer. To me, that's so beautiful but it wouldn't look the same in my curly hair. :(
I have unintentional layers, due to a shed and new growth and I hate that the short ones around my face won't stay in an english braid. If I had straighter hair I'd totally have a long layer.

Kristin
June 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I have layers and will probably continue to have them as I grow to goal. I really don't like it when the weight of my hair pulls my roots flat to my scalp- yuck! I also like having movement in the ends. Right now, my longest layer is around APL and I also have growing-out bangs that I will likely cut back to real bangs this fall.

I think lots of people have pretty, layer-free hair, but that look isn't for me. :)

smilinjenn71
June 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I have layers and will probably continue to have them as I grow to goal. I really don't like it when the weight of my hair pulls my roots flat to my scalp- yuck! I also like having movement in the ends. Right now, my longest layer is around APL and I also have growing-out bangs that I will likely cut back to real bangs this fall.

I think lots of people have pretty, layer-free hair, but that look isn't for me. :)
YES! I can't stand that either.... hair stuck to scalp. YUCK! I also tried to grow out bangs and had done so to chin but it really didn't flatter my face at all!! Even though bangs can get on my nerves, they definitely frame my face better!

***Pic is siggy was taken yesterday after I styled to meet my g/f for lunch. I'm in love with my shag cut!:crush: I keep texting my stylist to tell her too....hahaha

Pandora.
June 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I much prefer layers. Hair without layers on me would look dreadful IMO, although it can look good on others. However, I don't like really short layers on me so much. Also, I think layers make a person's hair look far more stylish and interesting.

IcarusBride
June 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
For myself I don't like layers but I think they look wonderful on others and I completely agree with your idea that you can maintain healthy hair by taking some precautions and still enjoying heatstyling and such. I think everyone here has their hair the way they have it because they enjoy it and if it's ocassional heat styling, layers and down-dos (? is that a word ?) for you, I say go for it! Your hair looks very healthy in your pictures!

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
My face framing layers are quite long now. I have to make them shorter, as I don't want to lost them;) I like it, when they are falling out of my buns and flying around my face.

lillylonghair
August 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Yaay! I like this thread. I think for me it really depends on the person and their hair. I see lots of gorgeous all one length hair here. For me I always paly around with layers and bangs. Right now I am growing out bangs but I do have layers. They are a pita b/c it makes some updos harder at the moment but I think they'll be really pretty once my hair is longer.

I also had some really nasty damage at the ends from when I first joined LHC and I did not want to lose all of my length so I got layers.

I do intend to grow my to at least hip and maybe even longer so at some point who knows. I may decided to go all one length. I do think though that I will always have some sort of fringe. The longest I grew them too was chin length and I just couldn't stand it anymore. I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with fringe and layers.

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Yaay! I like this thread. I think for me it really depends on the person and their hair. I see lots of gorgeous all one length hair here. For me I always paly around with layers and bangs. Right now I am growing out bangs but I do have layers. They are a pita b/c it makes some updos harder at the moment but I think they'll be really pretty once my hair is longer.

I also had some really nasty damage at the ends from when I first joined LHC and I did not want to lose all of my length so I got layers.

I do intend to grow my to at least hip and maybe even longer so at some point who knows. I may decided to go all one length. I do think though that I will always have some sort of fringe. The longest I grew them too was chin length and I just couldn't stand it anymore. I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with fringe and layers.

It's just like me. I will always have fringe, though sometimes I will wear it clipped up. And I may decide to cut my hair straight when it will be long. Maybe it will be straight hemline but with face framing layers.

Cosmicfish
August 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I plan on keeping at least three lengths of layers in my hair till I reach my goal length of hair. Otherwise it looks so flat and heavy and I just don't like it personally. Layers all the way!