PDA

View Full Version : *** Low Maintenance!!!

Jammy
June 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Maybe this is just some hair OCD talking but is anyone else happier the more they have to do to their hair?

I love regimes; oiling, dying, wash and dry. And I love trying out everyone's advice and recommendations. I think it makes you feel like you're really getting something accomplished.

Often I find myself frustrated because I just found out that cocoa butter is good for hair, but mine's currently marinating in cassia and has to wait another 45 minutes before i can rinse it and try something new.

I just switched to WO today and was sad to think my days of products and rituals were over, when I found out that you can rinse your hair every day! HALLELUJAH!

Does anyone else have this crazy experiment neurosis?
What are the your favorite (maybe soothing?) rituals and regimes?

jeanniet
June 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately, yes. I have to restrain myself from fiddling around with my routine too much. I like researching and experimenting, but that's not necessarily the best way to go if I want my hair to stay in good shape. :D

Danelliia
June 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately, yes. I have to restrain myself from fiddling around with my routine too much. I like researching and experimenting, but that's not necessarily the best way to go if I want my hair to stay in good shape. :D

I find that I'm the same way, I like trying new things!

Oskimosa
June 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
I did at first, then I realized what a drag it would be to do it all the time... so I've settled in what I can handle. I'm sure I could have even better hair if I bothered.

Jammy
June 3rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
haha the thing is I don't think I'm actually improving my hair a whole lot. It's more just to satisfy some basic housewife urge to fiddle with things until they're perfect. Except....they never are...but at least I'm happy!

Until I find out you can use coconut oil AND milk...............:brainbleach::shocked:

Beatrice
June 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hooray for high-maintenance hair! Would you believe that's the first reason I decided to grow out after my last chop? It wasn't the change in my appearance, it was boredom. I just couldn't do enough to or with short hair.

Jammy
June 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hooray for high-maintenance hair! Would you believe that's the first reason I decided to grow out after my last chop? It wasn't the change in my appearance, it was boredom. I just couldn't do enough to or with short hair.

DITTTTT0000

oceanwoman111
June 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Yes, I look forward to trying a new oil and or condition treatment way too much. I'm trying to calm down a bit because I think I try too many new things at a time and can't tell which one is working. I was bingeing for a while on products, buying new ones every week ,but I've settled into more of a routine now. I was considering "neglect" for a little while just to see the difference ,but i enjoy fiddling with it too much for that. :flower:

UltraBella
June 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
I am completely the opposite ! The less I need to do to my hair the better. Even when I used to curl my hair and style it super pretty, I never enjoyed the process, only the outcome.
I hate washing or conditioning my hair, it's just frankly a chore for me. The maintenance is what makes me want to cut my hair.
I am so happy for those of you who enjoy it or look forward to it :) I am just not there with you.

lillylonghair
June 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Hmmm I'm on the fence. I am a total haircare product junkie. I love deep conditioning,oiling,massaging,etc. But I also have many days (okay most days) where I pretty much through my hair up and forget about it.

HintOfMint
June 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
I love some aspects of maintenance more than others.

I am too lazy to whip up an SMT, I don't exactly relish styling my bangs, and updos are often a chore.

However, I love washing and conditioning, combing, brushing with my boar bristle brush, and doing S&D. For some reason, the very basics of grooming are very pleasurable. I guess I just like imagining my hair as being at my goal length and fussing with it helps the fantasy.

Loreley
June 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I did this last year. I tried everything, deep treatments, shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins. :)
I've already found the shampoo which is perfect for my hair. I stopped using cones in October and where I live there aren't many cone-free conditioners so I always buy the same which works well. So this routine is good, I'm not going to change it while it works. I'd like to try different oils, though (especially coconut oil). :)

Lemur_Catta
June 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I love doing things for my hair. When I stopped hennaing, I was so sad that I wouldn't have to prepare the past, apply it and rinse it...I really love it. I was so happy to start hennaing again. I also love washing, brushing, combing and putting it up...sometimes I just sit in front of the mirror braiding, unbraiding and trying different updos for hours!
I could never be low maintenance :D
On the other hand, I am quite low maintenance for everything else...I don't really care for makeup, shaving, clothes or shoes. It's just my hair :D

emmabovary
June 4th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Oh yes, I am a hair experiment junkie too. :) It will have to stop now though... I just looked at my bank statement :run:

guccixx
June 4th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Yes, I absolutely love having a precise routine. This sounds really self-absorbed but I like to take my sweet time doing my haircare routine (and skincare routine) at night, as I sit in front of the mirror.

I don't necessarily enjoy blowdrying my hair though. I blowdry it a lot in the wintertime and I hate how much time that takes :o/.

Lamb
June 4th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I do remember the excitement of experimenting from two years ago, but I'd strongly suggest that you read Ursula's Newby Advice from the articles, and only add one (1) new thing to your routine every two weeks. Hair thrives on stability.

MonikaHa
June 4th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I looove doing stuff to my hair, unfortunately it does best if it is left alone and forgotten LOL. Seriously, I have to fight the urge to henna every weekend!

Cleopatra18
June 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I used to be like that,doing something diffrent to my hair every 30 mins but its so time consuming.I still though love buying stuff for my hair,but i dont use them as often as i should probably.

IndigoAsh
June 4th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I went crazy when I first discovered this place. I pretty much bun it now cause of the length unless my hubby and I are going out. I found that my hair recovered best just leaving it alone. I love practicing different hair styles though.

FrannyG
June 4th, 2010, 08:44 AM
When I first joined, I was very eager to try new things, and I did so gradually for about 6 months. High maintenance indeed!

Eventually, I figured out what my hair did and didn't like and since then, it's been very low maintenance for me. I'm much happier with this low maintenance, which also includes a lot less obsessing about my hair.

Theobroma
June 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'm definitely all about low maintenance, the lower the better! One of the reasons I like my hair long is that there's less need to fuss with it than with shorter styles. And one of the two main reasons I grew out my fringe is that even that small proportion of my hair was too much trouble to style every day and looked awful if I didn't style it.

The one thing I do enjoy doing is applying a little coconut oil to my hair in between washes. But that's kind of like applying face cream or using hand lotion, and it's quick and easy to do. For the rest, the less attention my hair needs, the happier I am!

RecklessCharlie
June 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I am completely the opposite ! The less I need to do to my hair the better. Even when I used to curl my hair and style it super pretty, I never enjoyed the process, only the outcome.
I hate washing or conditioning my hair, it's just frankly a chore for me. The maintenance is what makes me want to cut my hair.
I am so happy for those of you who enjoy it or look forward to it :) I am just not there with you.
I'm exactly the same :)
The less complicated the better! If I can keep things simple, it keeps the urge to cut at bay!

Jammy
June 4th, 2010, 11:22 AM
That "urge to cut" is all part of the fiddlin' problem I have. I can't wait to have a new color/cut/style/glop on my head. It's just so much fun to experiment!

I think I need some real hobbies...

RecklessCharlie
June 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
That "urge to cut" is all part of the fiddlin' problem I have. I can't wait to have a new color/cut/style/glop on my head. It's just so much fun to experiment!

I think I need some real hobbies...
:D I know just what you mean! My boredom used to spawn all sort of things I probably didn't need to be doing.
I took up archery and motorbike racing and started playing my guitar again. That solved the boredom problem!

XcaliburGirl
June 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I like both.

I want my everyday routine to be fixed, quick, and easy, but I also like to try out new things and play around with my hair like a hobby. Or to put it another way, I want the things I must do to be low maintenance, but on a lazy weekend morning I like trying more complicated optional experiments for fun.

cobblersmaid
June 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Nope. While I do enjoy my once weekly washing, I am super low maintainance the rest of the time. Finger comb, braid, repeat. I might oil a few times a week. I henna maybe every three months.

That's it. I just have so many other things to do with my time. That, and I am lazy. :lol:

Coffeebug
June 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM
The less I have to do to it, the happier I am!

RavennaNight
June 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I love trying new shampoos and conditioners, combs and brushes. When a routine starts working really well, I think of what product can I change out to see how it works. I love going back and forth with cones/no cones, because it makes hair feel different. Trying new things is the biggest part of the fun.

oceanwoman111
June 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Oh yes, I am a hair experiment junkie too. :) It will have to stop now though... I just looked at my bank statement :run:

Exactly!! :lol: