PDA

View Full Version : long haired indian lady

Xan
May 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I saw an indian lady in the mall with hair well past her knees it was quite a site. I sure wish my hair could grow that long. They must have excellent hair genes.

RavennaNight
May 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Actually, my DH & I were having a conversation about a family member's long hair (of Pakistani descent). Hers is down to her knees and all her secret was was heavy oiling and bunning. She would oil & let it condition for days while bunning. No miracle or expensive products because they were rather poor. Long hair is a cultural tradition on that side of the world.

Beatnik Guy
May 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
They must have excellent hair genes.
Or rather, she must. Long hair is more common in the Indian subcontinent (I've been there; it's kinda :bigeyes:) but I don't think super-long-hair genes are more common there than elsewhere -- it's just that in some other places, those who could potentially have uberlong don't seek that - and maybe even have ubershort instead. :wink:

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Or rather, she must. Long hair is more common in the Indian subcontinent (I've been there; it's kinda :bigeyes:) but I don't think super-long-hair genes are more common there than elsewhere -- it's just that in some other places, those who could potentially have uberlong don't seek that - and maybe even have ubershort instead. :wink:

Yep. Completely agreed. I sometimes wish I had some kind of special goggles that let me see what everyone's term length would be, just to know, cause that would be pretty cool. :cool:

CurlyNinja
May 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM

I agree...

I also have to say I was a little hurt by the phrasing of the "They must have excellent hair genes" comment. There are numerous people of South Asian descent on this forum, and that sentence makes me feel like an outsider at best and a freak at worst.

Aisha25
May 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wow must have been a beautiful site to see!!!:)

ItalianFlower
May 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Curly, your hair (as well as everyone's on this board) is absolutely GORGEOUS. And I know she didn't mean it harshly at all; I think she was more noticing that people of Indian descent have a greater tendency to grow their hair long and well, and not saying that any other race/group of people doesn't. :)

CurlyNinja
May 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Curly, your hair (as well as everyone's on this board) is absolutely GORGEOUS. And I know she didn't mean it harshly at all; I think she was more noticing that people of Indian descent have a greater tendency to grow their hair long and well, and not saying that any other race/group of people doesn't. :)

Thanks, I know Xan didn't mean any harm, I just wanted to mention my feelings. :)

blue_nant
May 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I work with a gal who has grrrrrreat hair, but from hip length, has chosen to cut it increasingly since she's had more children. NOT that it's WHY she cut. I really don't know that. She's at about BSL now.

But when I see her at work, I see her in my mind with that long cascade of thick, beautiful hair.

Ha ha, I wonder if she knows that ... Is that creepy??? :p

mommy101405
May 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Is it common in these parts of the world for both men and women to have long hair or just women. Just curious.

CurlyNinja
May 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Is it common in these parts of the world for both men and women to have long hair or just women. Just curious.

It depends. Much more common for women, but still in some areas common for men. Usually not cutting one's hair is a religious choice in South Asia, and so while some men (notably Sikhs) have very long hair, it is also often covered up and is not visible. There are, of course, though, both men and women with visibly very long hair.

Kuchen
May 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Xan is a dude. :)

(correct me if I'm wrong)