PDA

View Full Version : Hair styles for Drivers License Photos

Charlotte:)
June 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM
So this may seem like a silly question, but how do you style your hair when you get your drivers license picture taken. Where I live, you have to have your hair behind your ears and shoulders (with both eyebrows showing, which was difficult when I had bangs). Last time I just left it down and it looked aweful! I'm thinking about doing snake waves to give it more body next time. What are your thoughts on this topic?

Kaijah
June 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I last got mine taken almost two years ago... It was down, and straight(!!) at the time. I guess my area doesn't have as strict of rules for pics? I think it's just looking straight ahead, and nothing blatantly blocking your facial features.

Whenever I have to go in for a new one, I'll probably just have my hair up in a bun like always. I'm boring :D and I figure that's how I'll likely be wearing my hair in any situation I'll need ID'ed.

Angeletti
June 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
all I know is I'm wearing mine straight and down for my picture that is due this month, because for the last four years people have been making fun of my picture because I wore my hair up and curly on top of my head for the picture and in real life it looks normal but for some reason the picture made my hair look huge

anniemae
June 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
I always wear mine down and straightened with bangs. Our area doesn't have any rules. I've never heard of that before.

jane53
June 3rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Mine will be pulled back or up with bangs, as usual.

Whatever I do won't keep that photo from looking like a felon's mug shot.

Olde Soul
June 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Mine was down and partially wet. I had put it up wet before I left for the DMV and it was about 100 degrees when I got there, so I let it down to keep cool.

OperaTeacherMom
June 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Mine was a frizzy disaster last time. Shapeless poufy mess, thanks to super high humidity and a broken a/c at the DMV in the middle of August. I am getting it re-done at the end of the summer, and hopefully it will be at least SL by then. I plan on wearing it down and curly :)

Jessica Trapp
June 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
I wore mine up. Harsh lighting. Weird angle. It looks like a mug shot. :face:

Next time I plan to wear it down.

jes

Mystical9
June 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
I wore mine down and straight. They allowed me to have my hair over my shoulders so I'm happy with my hair in my DL photo.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab121/MysticalSkye/backofhair.jpg

Unzadi
June 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
I had mine in a bun.

Tressie
June 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I had mine in a side braid this last time, and it looks messy!

princessp
June 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Everyone in the US will have to do this same thing (if you show an ear both must show, no big smiles etc.) this is because of face recognition technology. Some states have already started this, but all states will eventually require it. That is because we are phasing in using our licenses as our national ID card (which is directly linked to homeland security). I'm not a huge fan of it, but anyway that was what I was told last time I went to get my license (quite recently).

To answer your original question about how I wore my hair, it was in two little buns and the rest was down behind my ears, but they zoomed in on my face so much you could not see my cute do.

Copasetic
June 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I just wear it how I normally do. In my current driver's license picture my hair is thrown up in a clip. I don't really think about how to do my hair when I get an ID photo done; I always assume my picture is going to turn out horrible anyway.

Chibbylick
June 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
the last 2 times I've had pics taken for my Drivers License I've had my hair in 2 braids... and it was really cool to see how much my hair had grown in the 12 months between pictures! I kind of plan to do it again next time, just for comparison purposes...
Chibby

IcarusBride
June 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
I had mine in a bun. My drivers license photo is HORRIBLE. It was SO HOT in the building and there were hundreds of people there... My face is shiny from sweat and my facial expression is barely-controlled rage (the dumbest people in the world, you encounter at Walmart and the DMV).

TammySue
June 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Current one is with my hair down. Love it.
Last one was with my hair up in a bun. Hated it.

Milui Elenath
June 4th, 2010, 02:31 AM
A half up keeps it out of the way of my face but as others have mentioned it doesn't matter it still looks awful. (better than my work id where I am not even looking in the right direction - thanks admin)

I have to say I was a bit shocked when I went to the motor registry recently and saw the sign that said DO NOT SMILE. I found it quite sad. . .

jane53
June 4th, 2010, 02:47 AM
My state goes 10 years between drivers' license renewals. The picture on my current license is 9 years old. I'm up to renew in a year.

noelgirl
June 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I just renewed mine, and I wish I'd given it more thought! I wore it down, but I had just let it out of an updo (I went right from dance class), so it was straight towards the top and wavy at the ends. And with where the photo stops, the photo makes it look like I have straight shoulder-length hair when I really have wavy waist-length. Oh well. Whoever checks my ID next is going to marvel at how fast my hair "grew" :p

countryhopper
June 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Wow! This is perfect timing since I have to renew my license soon.

Best case senario: Arrive with my hair set in sock curls. Sit in front of the camera. Undo socks. quickly run fingers through curls. Snap picture. Watch curls deflate in the summer heat.

Realistic senario: Run a brush through it right before sitting down. Snap picture. Through it back into a fast updo.

You know what would REALLY be hilarious? to see everyone else's license pics! We could vote on the best (worst) one!

ErinM
June 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I had to get a new license when we moved to this state. I'm glad I took the time to do my makeup and brush out my hair and wear it down, as it's good until I'm 65 years old!!

Henrietta
June 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I don't know what about DL, because I don't have it yet, but when I had my ID photo taken, I had my hair in a rolled-crown. Looks like a crown braid, but there's not a braid but rolled hair. We had a rules connected with ID photo, like left ear must be visible, we mustn't have white or any light blouse, no earrings... blah... blah... So I couldn't have my hair down.

If there's no special rules, choose your favorite updo!:)

Anje
June 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Mine was bunned for the most recent one. It might not show off my hair, but it looks the way I usually do.

DulceCandy
June 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I made the mistake of having my in two japanese style buns on the top of my head ( i really wasnt thinking) and in the pic it does not look like a bun. It looks like I have short POOOOFY hair. Kinda like sideshow bob from the simpsons. From now I reccomend hair down. I take my new state pic next week and Im wearing it down or in a side messy braid (my new favorite hair do).

teela1978
June 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I've found that my hair looks best down in pics for ID's (be it for work, school, or drivers licenses), so that's my usual plan. Pulled back always looks too severe in those little pictures for some reason.

invisiblebabe
June 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I've found that my hair looks best down in pics for ID's (be it for work, school, or drivers licenses), so that's my usual plan. Pulled back always looks too severe in those little pictures for some reason.

yep, me too!

beez1717
June 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
i will be braiding my hair next time and having it over my shoulder or something. I want some hair being shown in my photo. (my next photo is a long ways off)

Arriens
June 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
My current idcard/driver license picture has a buzzcut on it.
However, in holland we have some rules as well, but apparantly, if you claim to be religious you can get away with a full clown make up. (http://www.sevendays.nl/uploads/pictures/cache/newsartimage_172876_415_9999_scl.jpg) :rolleyes:

So I try again to have my old picture (with the buzzcut) as my new id card, despite my bsl long hair. :D
If not, I go for the loose hair option.

Arctic_Mama
June 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Mine was down last time, and wavy, but I had been wearing a hat and my bangs looked funky, along with a flat top and part. It was horrendous. Next time it will probably be down or braised over one shoulder, but my bangs WILL be styled :patrol: