PDA

View Full Version : Helmet hair. Not what you think!

JenniferNoel
June 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Okay, I'm braindead on this one. I'm about to start flying ultralight planes again, which require a helmet and some headphones under said helmet, and it gets windy up there. I tried french braids, english braids, and a bunch of different buns, none of which fit comfortably under the headphones and helmet. I have now precisely BSL hair, and it's quickly growing to waist, what are some flat, comfortable, and secure protective hairstyles that can accommodate layered BSL hair that fit under such a ridiculous set of headgear? I'd skip the helmet altogether but that's just... erm... dangerous not to mention my hair needs better protection than that. Any ideas? Or am I going to have to go without a brain bucket to avoid massive headaches?

Jammy
June 3rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
What about something that starts at the base of your neck like a low ponytail or braid? How far does the helmet come down?

Lemur_Catta
June 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
You could try hair taping, but I am not sure it would work at your length. It is quite flat, and it was quite comfortable under my taekwondo helmet...

kdaniels8811
June 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
I use a snood under my motorcycle helmet, search for "snood" on etsy or e-bay. Works like a charm! Keeps my hair from flying around, neat and snarl free. Good luck!

Cailie
June 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
I would cover your hair with silk (maybe after a, lightly oiled, low braid ?) and put the helmet over that. It's the best protection I can think of

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1275580295.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1275580295.jpg/1.html)

Bast
June 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
I know that some folks here use a tail protector/wrap to sleep in...maybe try a low braid or ponytail and one of those? also, how much wind protection does your helmet offer?

GoddesJourney
June 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Tucked French braid.

JenniferNoel
June 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the replies! The helmet doesn't have too great of wind protection, it's like a large snowmobile helmet. I do have a couple snoods and scarves but they feel funky under the headset (you know, the ones with the big ear pieces and microphones) so I'm going to try to adjust those right, and if not, I'll try the tucked french braid or tail protector. :)

Islandgrrl
June 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have issues with hair under my bike helmet.

I make a very low braid and then pull a buff over my head. It's smooth and un-lumpy and I can tuck the buff behind my ears so I can hear stuff. The buff covers part of the braid, and if need be I can pull another buff over the length of the braid and secure it with elastics at the top and bottom so my hair is completely covered.