PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder length styles

kristymarie87
June 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
To those with shoulder length hair, how do you style it. I always go for the same style everyday. Just because i know it works and dont have time to mess around. Having short hair has its limits and i cannot do most of the pretty updos as my layers wont go up with the rest of the hair and it is not long enough to twist.

So what can i do with it while its down? Share quick easy everyday styles but also things that may take longer for nights out.

Any products used would help me out to and im sure there are shorter haired ladies who could do with some ideas for fresh styles on her too!

GROW HAIR!!

rachelily
June 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
My hair is about two inches longer than shoulder length, so I feel you. Usually I wear my hair down every day, too. But on days that my hair is looking less than ideal I like to pull it into a loose, low pony that is off to one side so it drapes over my shoulder (I have 2c waves/curls and the ends always look nice on bad hair days - but not the top - which is necessary for a down-hair day!) I like to pull out pieces to frame my face. Or I'll pin it into an off-to-the-side bun a la Taylor Swift.

If I want to wear it down, I have a flower pin (looks like a three-inch wide flower with a clip on the back) and just take a piece from the side of my face and pin it back. It takes 10 seconds and really dresses up the "down" look.

I can take a picture of these if you'd like. I don't know how this would work with straighter hair, what is your hair type?

pineconejg
June 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
There may be more styles you can do than you think. I can do a semi-cinnamon bun if I split a pony into two strands. You can probably do a French braid or braids. I also do sock buns. It is interesting trying to figure out what to do with the ends, though! I usually wrap them around and pin. I was advised to try a peacock twist. Its not my favorite thing, though.

You might want to try styles you think you can't do, and maybe you can.

Capybara
June 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'd recommend this webpage (http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/updos.htm) made by (if I'm not mistaken) one of the members on LHC.

I really like the peacock twist - it's the fourth style up from the bottom of the page, and you can do it with hair that is shorter than shoulder length!

Have you tried French braiding, or French twists? They look very beautiful :)

ETA: Pinecone, I spoke too soon! You said all the hairstyles I suggested already :p Hope this is helpful anyways, though!

Ravenne
June 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Double french braids should be doable on your hair length. They take some practice and arm strength, but I love the style, personally. French twists, as I understand it, are ideal for shoulder length hair. There's always half ups of various types. You could try braiding just the top half of your hair and seeing how that works. =)

zenobia
June 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Fairytale braids, half-up with a barrette or flexi-8, half-up with little accent braids coming from each temple backwards, low pony, low pigtails, high or low mini-buns, low messy side bun, gathered twists down the sides.

Kathie
June 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
I'm slowly documenting my various should-length styles. I still have a couple to add.

See link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5475

Personally I need styles that hold all day such as the few in the album. I can do a french twist too, but to much hair comes out from the sides at my current length. In a month or two I'll be able to happily wear the style.

kristymarie87
June 4th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the replys!

I will brosw through the links.

My hair type i think is 1a or 1b. No obvious waves that i can work with, just a few kinks! Its quite frizzy, even when i air dry it.

Im not a fan of braids but have tried, my hair just wont go in them and its so hard to do them yourself with shorter hair!

I would like to try the side bun/pony, my hair has a little bit of growing before i can do that! Oh i cant wait!

I would like something quite pretty and secure for work. I have this thing about showing my ears..... i hate them! So i usually have some hair hanging at the front :D

kristymarie87
June 4th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Theres a few i love...

Franny's Easy Summer Updo
Ponytail With Multi-Flipthroughs
Gibson Tuck Hairstyle

But my layers limit the things i can do. I can get the longest bits into style but the layers wont go in and mess up the look. My hair is the length in my piccy so i cant get alot of twists in it!

naereid
June 4th, 2010, 03:40 AM
A couple of links from the articles section:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=63
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76