PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or... (thread about limp and greasy hair)

Pandora.
June 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
...does your hair feel much more flatter, limp and greasier in the summer than it does in the winter? I always find this is the case for my hair. I personally think it's because I have oily skin and my scalp probably produces more sebum or whatever in the heat - just guessing here.

In the winter, my hair feels like frizzier and bigger. I also find that humidity never affects the frizziness; again, it's the heat that makes my hair limp and more oily.

Do you find the feel and appearance of your hair changes when the season changes?

Sorry for the random and pointless question. :p

Fractalsofhair
June 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
It always feels more moisturized in the summer due to the higher humidity, and thus could seem more limp to me.

MsBubbles
June 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
For what it's worth...my hair turns to grease if I get caught in a rain shower (even with squeaky-clean hair), and in high humidity/summer. My hair is drier and thirstier in low humidity/cold weather.

*Aoife*
June 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I do find that I need to wash more frequently during the summer. I guess it's to do with my scalp sweating even more because of the heat.

Rowanne
June 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the random and pointless question. :p

I don't know if this is any more pointless than several other discussions we have around here. :p If it's hair related then I think it fits here.

My hair is dryer and more static in the winter because of the dry air and the jumpers I pull over my head. It's also more flat and greasy, thanks to the hats I need to wear. In the summer on the other hand... Well, it can still be flat, thanks to the hats and scarfs I need to wear to avoid burning my scalp in the sun. My hair is usually less greasier if I swim in the lake a lot - it's also nice and soft because to the soft water. :cloud9: I guess springs and autumns are the best seasons for my hair because it's not dry and I don't have to worry about burning my scalp.

This scalp thing has been such an issue for me for years. I'm pretty pale and need sunscreens but compared to the rest of my skin my scalp is super sensitive and dry. The best product I've found is liquid hydrocortisone but it can be used as a remedy only after the accident has already happened.

I know there are sunblocks that can be sprayed on your scalp (but I just haven't found one that wouldn't make my hair greasy). Does anyone know if those things are bad for your hair - or I mean worse than getting your scalp burned?

zenobia
June 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Yes, my hair is always drier in the winter and less oily. I also only get static in the winter.

Drarra
June 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
For what it's worth...my hair turns to grease if I get caught in a rain shower (even with squeaky-clean hair), and in high humidity/summer. My hair is drier and thirstier in low humidity/cold weather.

Same here. I dread going outside when it's wet.

My hair definitely feels greasier in the summer. I suspect my scalp sweats more in the heat.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, it's definitely more limp. During past summers, I've applied conditioner to the length, then washed the scalp area, and DID NOT condition again. This helped.

With this length, I expect that I will need the extra conditioning, and I wear it up most of the time now, so limp doesn't matter as much.

Capybara
June 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
I think it's the humidity that makes it limper in the summer :) In the winter, there isn't as much moisture in the air, so hair gets frizzier and has more static.

Blueneko
June 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Currently, I am in a dry Winter/humid Summer state, so I agree with this 100%. But I am moving back to Northern California soon and the temperate weather there helps me maintain consistent hair conditions.

I guess I am suggesting you move for your hair! :)