PDA

View Full Version : Daily Texture Change?

Beatrice
June 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Does anyone else notice the texture of their hair changing drastically throughout the day, getting not worse, but better?

About 3 hours after I wash, my hair is dry to the touch. It starts out sleek and supple, but then dries out further, and the texture becomes rough and stiff.

Here's the kicker. Eventually, in the evening, my hair turns to silk. It's super soft, super shiny, and wavier. It's even nicer than it was before it stiffened. It's as though my hair takes all those hours to reset from washing (S&C).

Does anyone else experience this, and is there a way I can have that silkiness all day? Maybe I need to oil and brush with a BBB to lock in the moisture? Or maybe CO? Or just wash my hair at night so I have my evening hair all day!

kabelaced
June 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
I don't know how to make it silky all day, but yes, I get what you mean. When I first get out of the shower and my hair is cleaned and oiled, it's super crazy soft. Then, the next day, at work it's rough and I'm wondering what the heck is going on. Then, once I'm at home, it's back to normal again.

I wear a visor to work, so that may raise my hair up all funny. Do you wear hats or visors anywhere? Also, I used my old BBB again yesterday for the first time in a few months - maybe that spread the oils through my hair again and made them soft or something.

Just my ponderings.

Beatrice
June 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
How odd! I don't wear any hats or manipulate my hair that much. I usually wear it down, unless it's hot, in which case I do a ponytail. Maybe your changes have to do with humidity levels where you work? For myself, I can't blame location, as I work at home.

The BBB sounds promising. I need to get my own. Dad has one for his (short) hair, and he gets cranky if I use it and get my "long girly hairs" in it. :D

I have noticed that your hands can affect texture as well, though they don't seem to be the culprit here. If I put a glycerin-based moisturizer on my hands and run them through my hair, the hair feels sticky. Ew. But the feeling goes away once my lotion sinks in.

jera
June 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
After I've freshly washed my hair, and it dries, it turns into awesome wavies. :D If I sleep on it the effect will be quickly ruined. :p

Sammich
June 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I have that alot. It really annoys me, I want silky soft hair all the time. :(
After I wash my hair, my hair is very very soft, (Normally) after the day is over my hair becomes really rough, and then the next day it's never soft.
*Shrug* I'm guessing it's humidity affecting the hair's moisture balance too.

ButterCream
June 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
I actually notice this phenomenon when the moisture in the air changes.
When it is more humid (i.e on rainy days) my hair is softer. More dry air gives my hair a littlebit more "rough" feel to it, or whatever I can call it.

Beatrice
June 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM
If you're noticing a change with the weather, the info on this page might be helpful: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point You can skim the long scientific explanations and focus on the end.

Tomorrow I'm going to try some aloe gel as a leave-in. I'm trying to air-dry, but it makes my texture worse than using the blow drier (on low for 5-10 minutes). Since I'm not a true wavy or curly, I can't just stick the hair in place and leave it be. Smoothing it with the drier gives it a much nicer feel. Since I probably won't aim for longer than BSL, I don't think the damage will spell doom for my hair.

Sammich, my hair eventually starts feeling drier, too, around the third day. The hair gets clingy and harder to comb through, which is why I don't stretch my washes more than a day. I figure it's worse for my hair to be dry and tangled than to be washed more frequently. I've tried leave-ins at that point, but the hair is so oily, the conditioners can't penetrate.

Since my texture change happens every wash, I figure it's not just the humidity for me. I wonder if a rinse would help? Most members seem to use a very acidic rinse that's washed out with water. What if you finished with a rinse that was right at the hair's natural PH? I wonder. . . . Especially since water is at a PH of 7, which theoretically could lift the cuticle.

Beatrice
June 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Yes! I tried the aloe today (FOTE clear), and my hair was sooo much softer once it dried. It feels like I used the dryer on it! :cheese: I separated my hair in three sections, the back and both sides, and smoothed a pea-sized amount on each. This is getting me so excited to try an SMT!

May
June 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Actually I've noticed it a lot especially with my hairtype. My hairtype has got to be the biggest chameleon when it comes to texture.

Depending on what I've washed it with, how I dry it, my geographical location, the humidity level and any products I use my hair can go from almost straight and flat to frizzy and puffy to spirals. :confused:

I never know what kind of shampoo and 'dish to buy because I have no idea if my hair will be fine and limp or dry and coarse that day! :o It's sort of amazing really.